Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Judge Judy

I'm currently running through this game. I bought it more than a year ago, but haven't had a chance to play it until now.

It's good, but then again, almost all versions of Dragon Quest have been fun experiences for me. The only thing I can't stand is how many random encounters you run into. It's really bogging down my exploration, unlike Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, and their system of run-into encounters, rather than random ones.

Lookin' forward to the multiplayer, quest-oriented Dragon Quest IX on the DS, and the newly announced Dragon Quest X on the Wii ^^

I love this game. Haven't touched in awhile though. I remember having to waste like 3+ hours leveling up just to beat Dhoulmagus.

Ah he was pain in the ass. I had level Angelo up to get Multi heal to defeat Dhoulmagus...that Jester was kinda creepy. O.O

Edited by Luxord

I bough Dragon Quest VIII on an impulse. It was brand new only thirty dollars, so it seemed like a good deal. I can't say that I liked it, but I also didn't hate it if that makes any sense. Overall, I thought it was just average.

I wish the story was a little more...obvious and easier to follow but the free exploration system was nice too which you don't see too much with some newer games, wasn't bad though -voice acting made me laugh in a good way-

Edited by Shantotto

I bought it used for $15.00 and didn't get very far until I decided to put it in my "on hold" pile. I'll come back to it when that pile gets a bit smaller.

I love this game. Haven't touched in awhile though. I remember having to waste like 3+ hours leveling up just to beat Dhoulmagus.

I remember having to do that just to beat the first boss T_T

That's one of the things that I don't like about Dragon Quest. You have to level up so much before you go to the first dungeon. T_T

I never actually beat this game though. I made it to...The place right after you get Angelo. I think.

I remember having to do that just to beat the first boss T_T

That's one of the things that I don't like about Dragon Quest. You have to level up so much before you go to the first dungeon. T_T

I never actually beat this game though. I made it to...The place right after you get Angelo. I think.

lol Thats why I like it. Its a hard game and provides a challenge. Not for the weak minded : P

lol Thats why I like it. Its a hard game and provides a challenge. Not for the weak minded : P

Having to grind /= Hard

if it had (say) a limited exp pool or the encounters forced you to think then it could be hard.

But forcing someone to grind? that's just tedious.

Having to grind /= Hard

if it had (say) a limited exp pool or the encounters forced you to think then it could be hard.

If you''re on track on leveling (which isn't hard, despite what others seem to think), by the time you get to Trodain Castle, the enemies will still be fucking you around, and can easily wipe out your part if you get unlucky, due to mass party attacks doing higher damage than the area before. The strategy is to plan out your skills accordingly, as well as utilize weaknesses: the armors are weak to wind, the dragonthirns weak to dragonslayer skills, and buffing defense and speed help out.

Most players of Dragon Quest attempt to brute force their way through the game, and then find themselves largely in a world of pain. Hell, even something as simple as Sleep can turn the entire battle in your favor, no matter the level of your characters--something non-existent in other JRPGs, for the most. Just manipulate the battles, and you should do well.

this one was a huge improvement for the series. Combat was far more visually pleasing now that you got to see your characters do stuff in combat instead of the previous SEVEN games POV. That was a huge boost for me, it made things a little less tedious. Considering how much time you spend in fights because every game in the series crawls with too many random encounters but you need them so you're character's can match the bosses, and sometimes, just the monsters in a dungeon or area.

That's why i stopped playing 7 was because i had to not only level up my characters, but also get their job level high. And watching flame's appear and never seeingh anything in combat made playing the game more work than fun. i had to give up. For awhile, i went back every month or so, but couldn't last longer than a week with how dull i found the game.

and i wouldn't describe 8's leveling up as "grinding." Maybe more of an annoyance, but that's part of the traditional RPG, you know you have level up your crew before you even start playing the game.

But over all i think this is my favorite game in the series (though i am excited about five's re-release on the ds). The exploration was amazing and really took dungeon crawling to a new level for me.

While 8's plot wasn't anything too novel or ground breaking, i did find it enjoyable and intruiging. Chasing after the villain like they did was interesting, and a lot of the subtle side things that become important were really cool, like the whole trip to argonia....wait is everone aware of the alternate (and cooler) ending?

and while we're at, who thinks that that 9 will have something to with 8?

I mean Square Enix is pumping out the Floating Kingdom trilogy again, and we all know that the first three games all revolve around the Legend of Loto.

Does anyone think that 8 might be part of another trilogy in the dragon quest series?

While 8's plot wasn't anything too novel or ground breaking, i did find it enjoyable and intruiging. Chasing after the villain like they did was interesting, and a lot of the subtle side things that become important were really cool, like the whole trip to argonia....wait is everone aware of the alternate (and cooler) ending?

Use the spoiler tag.

Letting others know of an alternate ending isn't a spoiler, if the details weren't dropped. As for its requirements, for those interested, it's something along the lines of completing some post-game content and then finishing the game once again.

But over all i think this is my favorite game in the series (though i am excited about five's re-release on the ds). The exploration was amazing and really took dungeon crawling to a new level for me.

There's a translation patch for the PS2 remake lying around in cofined circles, still in beta, likely never to be finished. I'm holding out for the DS remake myself, knowing there's likely to be a few added things (like the new wife, for one), along with its graphical style. I loved how DQVII looked, and that's part of the reason I've become so attached to the DS remakes. Though to be fair, DQIV was a port of the PlayStation remake, for all intents and purposes.

Letting others know of an alternate ending isn't a spoiler, if the details weren't dropped. As for its requirements, for those interested, it's something along the lines of completing some post-game content and then finishing the game once again.

thanks for covering me there. i didn't think i really gave anything away, other than saying argonia. and no way i'd give away the alternate ending. i saw it and all the events leading up to it for myself, and so should everyone else.

yeah, i was afraid four would be just a port, and i was kind of turned away by the 7 type combat system. The combat is just a pov of the players, and you never see your group actually do anything, right?

yeah, it might be something little, but i like the actual viewing of combat in an RPG, it makes things more exciting.

i've never actually played any of the 4 through 6 games, i've only read and heard about them. 6 seems really amazing and epic in its story. I mean the game spans so much time from what i hear.

I like the classic POV system of Dragon Quest. But only for Dragon Quest. For Dragon Quest-ness :P

People think VI is great, but personally, I got bored with it about the volcano area. But from what I've heard, it definately has something going for it. My favorites of the series are the second, the third, and the seventh. The second felt like what the first should have been; the third what a good Dragon Quest was becoming. And the seventh gave the episodic nature of plot a charming twist that still to this day I like.