The Scouring

Dathiason Kx

Jay twisted his head behind him. The enormous body of a fire dragon lied in the middle of the road, perished not even twenty minutes ago. Jay had been one of the numerous men who had tackled the fight with the beast, and had been the one to finish off the dreaded monster.

What is there to do here, other than slaughter the entire dragon race? I do not wish for this war, nor do I wish for genocide, but I guess those things are needed if we are to create a continent without fear of being overrun... Jay thought to himself as he walked along the solitary road, the only things heard were the shouts of the men in combat, and the groans of the men injured and in pain.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaftia sea...

The ship sailed smoothly over the calm waters of the kaftian eastern sea. Aboard this ship, a group of about 20 dragons travelled, eager for battle. They were all transformed in their human form thanks to the dragon stones they wore around their necks, and they were all carrying on their jobs aboard the ship.

The captain of the fleet, a young dragon known well all over Kaftia for his tactics in war, merely stared at the waters. His name was Rad Quetz, a noble dragon and one who had been ordered by the dragon king to wipe out the humans. Apparently, the enemy had made the first strike against his kin, and Rad would carry on this order.

"Rad," a female's voice was heard. Rad turned around to confront the speaker, his cousin Elisha, second in command in the fleet.

"Yes?"

"The fire bomb is ready. Elkalamir and his magicians just finished assembling it."

"Good," Rad nodded at her. "Bern wont even know what hit them."

They had been sailing for a week now and the ship was very close to make land in about a day of sailing. However, Rad and company would not make it to any kind of port, they had plans to remain oblivious to the humans.

Rad had a plan, one that would take him and his crew into the eastern mountains of Bern. From there, their plan was simple; fire the mighty bomb at the Bern Keep. Many would die just from the catastrophic explosion. Rad and company would be able to proceed into the chaotic scene afterwards and finish off Hartmut the hero, along with any humans that stood in the way.

"I still think we shouldn't fire the bomb like that," Elisha told his cousin, coming to stand next to him near the ship's rail. "Aside from making us look like a coward group, many innocents will surely perish, kids among them."

Rad did not even turn to look at his cousin, whom had always had a kind heart.

"Humans are our enemies now," Rad said as he looked out towards the calm water. "All sizes and ages, just like our kin is to them. They killed several of our kin now, and we will not stand by and watch them go on further, killing any others. We are far more powerful, far more advanced in all aspects, and we will not succumb to their rule. We will fight to remain within the continent, even if it means all out war and perhaps...the total destruction of either race."

Hearing her cousin's stern words, Elisha did not respond. She just lowered her head and then departed from his side.

Edited by Zakelina

(Assuming that my character is accepted, I'm going to go ahead and post.)

Amy leaned against a rampart high on a wall of Hartmut's palace, gazing at the peaks that ran off into the distance. It was still early in the day, and wisps of fog that had yet to be burned off by the heat of the sun still drifted among the mountaintops. Later on, if the sky was clear, Amy knew that she'd be able to catch a glimpse of the blue ocean beyond. Unfortunately, she knew that she wouldn't get the chance. At least not today. Being a general in wartime, especially one with her duties, was busy work. Not that she regretted becoming one in the slightest. It was both challenging and interesting, and far beyond where a simple shopkeeper's daughter expected herself to be at this point in life.

Hearing a door open behind her, Amy turned her attention to a pair of rapidly approaching footsteps. After stopping a few feet behind her, their owner paused to clear his voice then proceeded to deliver his message without formalities.

"General Black reports engaging and destroying a group of dragons trying to sneak across the border seventy-five leagues north of the capital. He sends his compliments for the accuracy of your information, and his men have begun the march back. They should return in five days time."

Amy turned to face the messenger.

"Good work, you are dismissed. Go clean yourself up and get some rest."

The man, clearly sore and tired from riding hard for several days, saluted with a look of gratitude on his face before turning to leave. As he left Amy pondered the information he had brought her. With the majority of Hartmut's forces away from the castle at present, sending half the remaining guard with one of the two remaining generals to command it had been a risk, but it had paid off for Amy. Though the defenses of the capital would be low for the next few days, thanks to Amy's spy network a significant threat had been engaged and eliminated well before it got within sight of the city.

There was more for her to think about as well. The faction that had tried to make its way across the border was unexpected. Her information about the enemy had generally indicated that they would not make such a bold strike into the country without more resources to back them up. Did this mean that the group that general Black eliminated was a victim of her misinformation, or were they a splinter group of dragons who had decided to take matters into their own hands? Could it be that the dragons were starting to split themselves up into different camps with different philosophies? Every enemy in war had their internal differences, but perhaps the dragon's were now growing large enough to effectively exploit. Amy made a mental note to have her spies look further into it, and possibly act upon it if it turned out to be true.

Walking down the rampart Amy entered a different door than the messenger had used, and proceeded down a long spiral staircase. One of the duties of the ranking general in the capital was to inspect the defenses on a daily basis. Normally general Black would be performing the inspections, but since he had been sent out the responsibility of doing so had fallen to her. It was an annoying task to Amy that took away from the time she could be using to learn something new, but it was also something that she'd rather have to do than fighting dragons within the city walls. Passing a servant, she sent him scurrying ahead to prepare a horse as she made her way down to the stables.

Amy reigned in her horse, and took a moment to size up the man who had just greeted her. He carried a weariness about him common to men returning from battle, but was not dressed in the uniform of a common soldier. A mercenary, most likely, taking advantage of his status to return home ahead of the main army and get a head start on spending his pay. Possibly one hired to help out general Black on his most recent expedition. Her interest piqued, Amy sidled her mount closer.

"I am General Amethyst Valor, of King Hartmut's army."

Amy peered closer at his face, there was something familiar about it. Searching her memory for who he was, the answer finally clicked into place. Though she had not met him directly, she knew who he was and had occasionally seen him in passing in the company of King Hartmut. His name was Jay and he was a mercenary of no mean reputation. She also knew that he had definitely been sent out to accompany general Black.

"You must be Sir Jay, one of our best mercenaries if memory serves. Tell me, how did the battle go? Were our losses greater than expected? Did the enemy display any new tactics, or were they taken by surprise? Any messages or scripts recovered that would hint at the greater strategy of their army? Please tell me, I am interested in knowing."

Edited by Iceland

"Hm...fourteen of ours dead, eleven of theirs. They presented no new tactics, other than fire-breathing and sharp talons. General Black fell in a surprise attack, being amongst the fourteen. General Crawn is the newest general, and Black's immediate replacement." Jay said, not really paying attention.

"General Black fell in a surprise attack..."

Amy gave a start as she listened to the words of the mercenary, mentally replaying them in her head to make sure she had heard them correctly. General Black, dead? Amy had never been particularly close to general Black, or any of the other generals for that matter, but they had had a measure of professional respect for each other. General Black had never held a grudge over her superior talent for tactics or the favoritism her suggestions had always been shown by king Hartmut, and Amy had always been sure to acknowledge his vast experience and his skill in armed combat. Hartmut had a preference for doubling up his generals to work together, and as a pair Amy and Black had worked very efficiently.

Amy also did not know that much about Crawn, supposedly Black's replacement. Normally a new general would be appointed by the king, and only in certain extreme circumstances would it be proper for the current field commander to declare himself a general. The surprise attack must have come well after the main action, as general Black had had enough time to send out a messenger and begin a march, but Amy did not believe that was enough of a reason to justify Crawn's actions. She needed to know more. Turning back to Jay, she continued to pump him for information.

"What kind of surprise attack was it, and how was General black killed? Also, what kind of person is this Crawn?"

Edited by Iceland

"Crawn is....relentless. Tireless. Fearless. He never seems to sleep, and is always coming up with strategies and tactics to defeat the dragons. The surprise attack that I am talking of, is that as we were out, the dragons had made caverns under the earth. As General Black happened to be walking by, a beam of dragon fire exploded underneath him. Vaporized him instantly." Jay said. "I'm not so sure if Crawn is a worth replacement." He said, whispering now.

Edited by Dathiason Kx

Amy took several seconds to brood over this information, absentmindedly keeping her eager mount in line. Pawing at the ground, it snorted to let Amy know that it would rather be moving around instead of standing in one place. Amy discarded the ambush information almost immediately. It was of lesser importance compared to the rest, and as far as she could see not a very good tactic for the enemy to use. Putting a dragon in a hole both limited its mobility and put it at a perfect height for human soldiers to hack it apart. This Crawn, on the other had, was both a puzzle and a worry to Amy.

The most mysterious thing about him is that he had managed to fly under Amy's radar for so long, even though it was now apparent that he was a man of some merit. While Amy did not keep tabs on everyone in her own country's army, she did make an effort to keep an eye on its most important members. The more power a person had, the more damage they could do if they turned traitor. Crawn also appeared to be the ambitious sort, unilaterally appointing himself a general. Amy would be sure to put a few of her best researchers on his case for the next few days, to see what they were able to dig up. Other than that Crawn appeared to be a decent officer. While some of his described personality traits could be seen as somewhat severe, Amy could still admire a mind that was as focused on strategies as hers was.

Jay's opinion of Crawn, though, was something that definitely tipped the scales out of his favor. A good leader would inspire loyalty and respect in his soldiers, even ones that they had only commanded briefly such as mercenaries, and if Jay was any indication Crawn had thoroughly failed to do that. Regardless, Amy decided that King Hartmut should know of this development as soon as possible, as the official messengers that had been sent out earlier obviously had outdated information. The inspection of the capital's defenses would have to wait.

"Thank you for your information." Amy told Jay with a wry smile. "While I'm not exactly thrilled with what you told me, I appreciate what you've done."

Amy wheeled her horse around and was prepared to gallop off towards the palace when a thought struck her. Twisting in the saddle, she turned to face Jay.

"If you're going the same way I am, I'd be happy to offer you a lift. No reason to make you walk the rest of the way if you don't want to." And it might be good to have him along to give a first hand account of what happened. He's no royal messenger, but if Hartmut trusts him then that's all the vetting he needs.

Ether awoke suddenly,he had just had another of his 'visions' as some would call them,he had been squaring off against several fire dragons,and their Ice dragon leader,with several companions he had not yet met before.He wasn't sure exactly,but the dragons seemed to have some sort of explosive.

"Hmm...I guess I'll have to watch out for them."Ether muttered,as he leaped through the treacherous Bern mountains,well treacherous to most people,anyway,with his Lithe footwork,Ether had scaled the large peak in a matter of minutes.

"Doesn't seem to be any trouble here...maybe I'll go see my old friend Hartmut..."

And with that,Ether raced towards Bern castle to see Hartmut.

OOC:Sorry I haven't posted,I was grounded again XD

((I didn't know how an RP works, but now that I get it, here's my part!))

Far away from the castle, a young boy stands alone in a desert, watching the sand in the wind go by. His short, dark blue hair and green clothes make him stand out. On his back is a quiver filled with arrows. He holds a small bow made of birch with light blue feather-shaped fastenings on each end and a string tightly tied onto the fastenings.

"A war with the dragons," he says, repeating the latest news to himself. "It's so sudden. There's no real reason to it. I'm scared..."

"Fear not, lad. We shall try to end this war swiftly," came a voice. Behind the bow, a man in blue magician robes appears. He holds a large staff in his hand. He is old with white hair and a large beard.

"Ah! Archsage Athos! You always startle me when you do that. But I just wish we didn't have to fight at all," said the boy. He showed obvious signs of respect to the man.

"This is why you, Chaz, are essential to end his war quickly. Your kind demeanor will make it easier to avoid casualties and will provide us with courage," said the archsage.

"Well, okay, but I'm only doing this because I have to," replied the boy, Chaz. "But let's make it quick!"

Edited by Reinfleche

Ether quickly exited the mountains and was making his way towards the palace.He had known Hartmut since before his coronation,when he had served his traditional time as a soldier,being in the same brigade.Ether had since left the army and had taken up mercenary work,although not as much anymore.

On another note,it had been about 3 years since Ether had last seen the king,and his drive to reunitwe with his old friend got him close to the castle very quickly,where he saw two Bernese,a man and a woman,speaking.

'Hmm...I've seen her before...where was it?Oh yes,in my last visit,I met her in the barracks.May as well say hello,I wonder if she'll recognize me?' Ether asked himself silently,and then called out to her "Hail!Amethyst!Amethyst Valor!'"

Upon hearing her name,both she and her companion turned towards Ether.

((Moar RP less talking. :P ))

Amy smiled at Jay. "No problem. It would probably be good for me to spend some time thinking about this before requesting an audience with his highness. No reason to have him tear my head off for going off half-cocked. I wouldn't mind talking it over with you on the way to the palace, if you have no objections."

Amy nudged her horse into a gentle walk, slow enough for Jay to easily keep up on foot. As she waited for Jay to catch up Amy thought about what to talk about first. The most likely topic was to inquire for more information on Crawn, and after labeling and discarding a few other ideas as less important she decided to go with that. Opening her mouth to ask how loyal the remainder of Black's forces were to Crawn, Amy was cut off by a man hailing her.

Turning in her saddle to take stock of the new party, Amy was mildly surprised to see another familiar face.

"A friend of yours?" Jay asked.

"He's a former soldier of Bern, turned mercenary. Served alongside King Hartmut before he became king, if memory serves. He dropped off of the face of the earth several years ago, when I was still a mere commander." Amy replied.

Amy waved the dragoon over.

"Well met, Ether. I see you've managed to keep your hide in one piece, more or less. What brings you to this corner of the earth?"

Edited by Iceland

Ether came to a stop in front of the two,'Well,I guess she does recognize me,although i'm not surprised,she was always a bright one' Ether thought to himself.

"Well met indeed Amy,I simply came to visit your king,and happened to see you on the way."Ether responded.

"By the way,I had heard that you made General,Congratulations.Hmm...if we are heading the same way,we could probably travel together,although,if you don't mind me asking,who is this man here?"Ether asked,gesturing toward Jay.

"That makes sense,after all,wouldn't wanna die in battle 'cause you let your weapon fly off somewhere,just somethin' to consider later on,if you want,I can teach ya"Ether replied.

"Hmm...well,we should probably get moving,after all,who knows when the next battle could start,or where,don't wanna get caught up in it if we can avoid it eh'?"