kdanger arts

Inactive Account

jegus how did I even do that with the arms and legs, I somehow didn't notice at all until you mentioned that and CANNOT UNSEE (needless to say the scale tool has been applied)

it's weird because I was modeling straight off a reference drawing and I usually do better at proportions than that @_@ i do not know how that happened, but it has been rectified. Rounded out the face a bit, pushed up the mouth but not the nose (nose is not actually that low, the mouth being low made it weird though). Mouth crease is still a little awkward but not as much.

I'll probably keep poking at the vertices on the face to smooth it out a bit but I'm probably not going to add a whole lot more subdivision because I need to get this thing running jumping climbing punching etc stat, and the face is not going to be in focus a whole lot. (translation: bluh bluh too much hi-res facial modeling at work, gotta take a break and work on something with limbs that go flail a lot)

ON TO TEXTURING NOW oh jegus

[spoiler=3d screenshot nonsense]zwL8s.png

also

[spoiler=bluh bluh LoAF sketchdump what else is new]INOrN.png

spirits n nomads

more specifically: left side has random fire spirit in true form (bright orange) and don't-scare-the-pink-monkeys form (dark orange) the only reason i drew this guy was because i have a new canon entry thing coming up muahahahaha

upper right has Kelas, Hainam, and their friend Dara when they were kids (Kelas and Dara are probably about 15, which would make Hainam 12 or 13)

mid right has an older Dara because I have no idea

he probably will never actually make an appearance in the RP but ooooh weelllll

bottom is just a couple of outfit tests for Kelas, the left one is probably what she'll get when we get to the desert and stuff

zzzzzz

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texturing for whatever reason is like my least favourite thing to do, so good luck with that. However, I do think the model looks a lot better with the longer legs and higher mouth. I'm looking forward to more progress shots.

My brain is stuck in character design mode when I should be doing math, augh.

However, I must rest at some point (aka tomorrow) so I’ll probably draw something then… and given that I’ve been thinking about Fire Emblem stuff lately, IDEAS HAVE BEEN HAD.

SO. Here’s the deal. Drop the name of a Fire Emblem character from any game FE6 or later in my Tumblr askbox, I’ll pick one at random and give them a redesign sometime this weekend.

PLEASE ASK USING THE TUMBLR LINK NOT THE THREAD SO I CAN KEEP TRACK OF THINGS. I STARTED THIS THING ON TUMBLR SO I'VE ALREADY GOT ASKS OVER THERE.

While I might not forget to include things that get submitted to this thread, I might ignore them out of spite if I'm feeling particularly irritable about people not following directions, so.

waugh yes the redesign

Palla got pulled out of the hat (the hat with six whole things in it) and I am about halfway done with her lines, work did not get done today because I had a miscreant bicycle to rescue but YES TOMORROW. There will probably also be commentary, and if I'm feeling particularly up for mischief a bonus redline of her FE13 art because what the actual anatomical fuck.

(All the things to draw tomorrow. Finals stuff as well as this. Wheeeee)

Edited by kdanger

Punchdragon is the working title of the game a friend and I are working on in which you play as that dragon girl from before and punch things (hence the name) but mostly run like hell. Third person runner, sort a grim magitech city as a setting, currently has a demo that I'll link to once it's got a better enemy model. As it turns out, my friend and I are bad at naming things.

[spoiler=As promised, a redesign and a hell of a lot of talking about it]

Pulled Palla out of the hat. Who technically counted, since she was in FE11 as well as FE1. However, I couldn't find any FE11 official art, so I just looked for everything else that existed.

That set was largely composed of stuff from the very early games and TCG, most of it with fairly similar designs. I wasn't sure about the armor shapes (the gauntlets and greaves in particular seemed pretty silly to me), but overall, okay, sure, I can work with this.

P043x.jpg

I knew she was in the FE13 DLC as well, but was much more hesitant about using that before I even looked at it, because, well. Calling my thoughts toward the art from that game "mixed" would be charitable.

Sure enough...

dlc0913_img.jpg

Nope nope nope nope. In fact, this spawned an Eschergirls submission (that'll be the next spoiler box). I don't mind the breastplate on this one. That's about the only thing that I can think of that I don't have either "FE you used to be reasonable about female characters what happened" or "wtf was the designer smoking" thoughts about. Needless to say this did not have much influence on my redesign.

In the end I wound up going with the original color scheme, and fairly similar designs all around. I liked the dress-over-leggings thing, so I kept that (well, I turned the stockings into actual leggings, because I really, really can't get behind the whole riding-astride-in-a-miniskirt thing, that shit'd be mad painful). The main change I made was that I didn't limit myself to FE-style armor, and gave her leather armor instead. I figured a pegasus knight would need to avoid carrying a whole bunch of extra weight, and it certainly doesn't contradict the weakness against arrows. I kept her build pretty slender for the same reason; she's got some wiry strength, but not the kind of muscle I'd put on, say, a paladin. I also toned down the heels a bit, though I didn't get rid of them; a low heel is reasonable and even encouraged for a riding boot, but a high heel is a bad idea. Here's the result.

5J3T0.png

Overall, I think it turned out pretty okay. The shading's a little quick and dirty, but that's about it. Thoughts?

[spoiler=The horrors I found during the previous task]

Okay so this right

dlc0913_img.jpg

The clothing alternates between poor-design-to-be-sexy and just plain poor design. She also looks friggin' terrified, when she's supposed to be a collected, competent fighter as far as I know. Also, creepy infantilized face, but that's hardly anything new in anime-style art I guess. I don't understand the pose. Is someone force choking her or some shit? No if that were the case the rest of her body would be limp. Is there a mouse on the floor or something? I mean, she doesn't look like she's actually falling, or purposefully jumping down or whatever.

More to the point, though, what kind of anatomical horrors have we here?

MINrK.png

Okay, that's a redline. The armor clutters it up though, what does it look like on its own?

FE2Jo.png

aaaaaaa

Like, okay. I understand that some video game art is going to be drawn sexy. I'm not even opposed to that, provided it's done in fairly equal measure and in ways that make sense for the game/series. But this isn't even sexy, this is a broken mutant! What the hell.

So yeah, doing a redesign was fun! I think I will do more. So, here's the deal. I'm going to do two, one from my Tumblr and one from this thread. (You can drop suggestions in my Tumblr ask for the other one once I announce it, but Tumblr's currently down.) So, I will take ten or so character suggestions from different users in this thread, pick one at random, and do a redesign. I'd prefer it if the character had official art in a game FE6 or later, because that's what I'm familiar with, but if someone posts something outside of that set where I see potential I might make an exception.

For the Palla you did, the forearm on the right side of the image seems a bit long, as does the hand. Her torso is also rather long, it seems like the hips are a bit lower than they should be. The waist seems tiny but I think that's just exemplified by the torso being long so it's probably fine. I like your redesign though, it's interesting, I'm always fond of characters with clothes that make sense haha. I also looove leather armor~

The FE13 redesign makes me laugh, the foot oh my god it looks broken. I wonder what the creator of this piece thinks of it. I'm actually rather fond of the clothing design though, barring its complete lack of utility (but what can you expect from Fire Emblem ever really lol skinny women with large weapons actually doing damage lol)

Oh woops I wanted to request one of those redesigns too um. Let's say Wendy! Those pauldrons bother me so much, they seem like they would scrape against the chestplate when she moves, not to mention the leg armor that would be painfully banging against her legs.

Edited by Mewiyev

i have not deemed the submissions numerous enough to randomize yet `^`

meanwhile I have started a lineup of Snike, Ether, and Whistler's dudes (and Adena) which means that after that will be Script, Merc, Sage, and STRIDER

but for now I am supposed to be packing shit which of course means I drew some dudes instead

[spoiler=moar nomad sketchdump]random_character_sketchdump_by_kdanger13-d5oh1z5.png

Arrin being all HMM SCIENCE, Kelas, and some vague NPC ideas for potential implementation in PLACES. That lady and that crochety healer dude and some guide dude and his coworker who doesn't share his sense of humor. (I kept the underdrawings on her to keep track of her hair.)

Edited by kdanger