kdanger arts

Inactive Account

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. All of it. It never ends.

thiriaportraitpreview_zps1ffd011b.png

nother TOR speedpaint. Weird skintones provide some interesting times when coloring, when I first started putting in the slight warm tinge on the cheeks and lips it looked horrible and then I realized THAT'S NOT EVEN PURPLE IT'S STILL JUST BLUE.

I have some 3D stuff in progress (punchdragon forever rawr) but I was stuck at work for much longer than expected today so I don't have any of it in presentable form.

one of these days i'll draw something that isn't star wars or homestuck i promise

Quick destress sketch.

liberators_of_corellia_by_kdanger13-d5wx7m8.png

[spoiler=nak nak nak swtor explanation]So Michaeli's on Corellia right now and while I get frustrated occasionally with how hard it is to go anywhere without getting shot at, I'm really impressed by the environment. It's a bombed-out city. Shit is on fire. Dust and rubble and smoke are everywhere. This is the destruction of war, more recent than Taris and more official than Balmorra. It's exhausting, even for Jedi.

But Michaeli and her crew are damn well going to keep fighting. They're dirty and hurt and tired but they're never going to give up.

shit I can't remember what the TOR equivalent of a red cross is so Doc just has an aurebesh M on his jacket and on the box of supplies he's carrying because I'm damn well not starting up that game at this hour

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzspacezzzzzzzzz

Edited by kdanger

I really like your Thiria speedpaint but I have some suggestions! I think you could throw in some opposite spectrum shades like some reds and yellows to make the shadows and highlights pop more in certain places. I also think your lightest value on the bridge of the nose and the cheeks could be lighter. Overall I think you could be more intense with your colour choices. My favourite parts are those dark, saturated shadows along the chin and the bottom of the cheeks. With the eyes, again, I think it's just a matter of contrast between the dark and the light tones and also the eyelids could be highlighted ever so slightly to show it sinking beneath the brow and then back out over the eye. The lips are a little small and low but I actually like their form.

Also: Ladies with facial scars yayyy

@Trent: yeah I may have passed the point where "she's wearing bulky gloves" is a sufficient explanation, hands are my nemesis forever.

@Samias: Ah, thanks! I grabbed the midtone/highlight/shadow out of a screenshot but the lighting wasn't particularly intense in it so I probably could have done more on the shadows and highlights, yeah. With the eyes in particular, I was trying to avoid the appearance of an eyelid crease since she's got single eyelids, but I think I can see room for some highlighting there without making it look like that.

I'm not really sure how I'd go about adding in reds or yellows without making it look weird (other than a bit of glow around the eyes lol), could you cite an example? I'd tried to bring in a bit of warmer tone on the cheeks but found that anything past a slightly warmer blue was too much.

blar that took far too long to write out why can't I string words together

scarsss Michaeli actually has one too but I keep forgetting it. I accidentally gave her a really similar haircut and the same exact scar as one of the Knight companion characters so I guess I'm trying to mentally erase the evidence or something? eheheh

Edited by kdanger

I did a few minutes of overpainting if you don't mind. I just used a tiny amount of red along the cheekbones, and then I blended some yellow hue over the front of the cheeks and top of the nose. I hardened up the shadows/highlights of the forehead and darkened up shadows at the bottom. And I did a little painting over the eyelids, which makes the eyes feel a little bit bigger with the high contrast, despite not actually changing the eye shape at all. I'm not entirely happy with what I did to the forehead though.

kdanger_thiria.jpg

I'm guilty of being a bit timid of shading myself. I neglected to flip it to greyscale to check the value scale, but generally I find that greyscale is better for judging the strength of the shading.

Ohman, the Chiss are the coolest. A+.

I really like the silhouette set btw! like dang man

Oh btw, with regards to the colouring/shading, it can definitely really help to even colour in greyscale first (which is definitely better for judging shading strength, like samias said) and then go over it with colours in multiply/soft light/etc once you're satisfied with it! I only just started using the glaze technique pretty frequently, but I personally found it easier when I concentrated entirely on shading first and then moved on to playing around with the colours!

As for adding hues or creating more contrast, the overlay layer/blend mode is your best friend, man.

ALL THIS SWTOR FANART I DIG IT. I wish I was a real subscriber again, then I might actually play it. I miss my Sith assasssssinnn, she'd be a fun one to do fanart of, all them crazy Klingon folds.

Anyways, yay more painting help on top of Samias and Erdgeist! Here's something that can make it easier to get colors looking right. I dunno if you've seen any tutorials on this or what, I'd never really used this glazing technique until I learned it this semester. At the very least it makes painting much quicker for me.

[spoiler=Process explanation thing]

d80fb3c4fd7ea36edf3dd939147ac31c.pngac9a11da7a62a9885f3cc83af728d8d6.png?1362505668

The one on the left is your image, desaturated, as you can see, the face doesn't have much contrast and looks very evenly lit. All I did to the one on the right was mess with Levels to add a greater range of values, it looks kinda weird like this but it'll look much cooler with color.

0e366497e6dbb399161b043b797170e5.png71fed6e9486088ed0959e32397a0133d.png?1362505805

That's an Overlay layer of some violets, blues and yellows. The one on the right is what the layer looks like as a normal layer. One thing I can suggest for this part is keeping the brightness of your colors at a pure 50% brightness (using the HSB slider) so it doesn't mess with the values already set. I actually screwed up on this part, the yellow isn't at 50% brightness. Doesn't look horrendous though, you just have to be aware of it.

f3e12a6c38fd7bff116495579c284d33.png?1362506220

For this, I added another layer on Soft Light (just one blue color) to give her some more deep blues, because she didn't look blue enough to me. I also messed with the eyes a tiny bit, though I realize she wasn't supposd to have an eyelid crease oops. I also gave her a last Overlay layer of a small amount of red to add blush to those cheeks! Yay layer blending abuse! I wasn't going to but then I realized that Chiss do have red blood :V

At this point I'd go in and smooth everything out by hand on top of all of this, detail more of the hair, and push the highlights a bit more, they're a bit meh right now. The scar also needs some scar tissue texture/color. Also I might have screwed up the lighting--I perceived it as a stronger backlight and a weaker light from the front, lol, I might've gone a bit too crazy with the lighting drama. That's a bad habit of mine~

This isn't under the pretense of me being an amazing painter/artist or whatever, I just hope this helps because it sure helped me. :D This technique helped me with color soo much ugh I'm so slow at it otherwise.

Edited by Mewiyev

• 2 weeks later...

WORDS

i am on spring break and have done nearly nothing of worth all week so I should at least get out this super belated reply because people had crit for me and it was awesome

I did a few minutes of overpainting if you don't mind. I just used a tiny amount of red along the cheekbones, and then I blended some yellow hue over the front of the cheeks and top of the nose. I hardened up the shadows/highlights of the forehead and darkened up shadows at the bottom. And I did a little painting over the eyelids, which makes the eyes feel a little bit bigger with the high contrast, despite not actually changing the eye shape at all. I'm not entirely happy with what I did to the forehead though.

kdanger_thiria.jpg

I'm guilty of being a bit timid of shading myself. I neglected to flip it to greyscale to check the value scale, but generally I find that greyscale is better for judging the strength of the shading.

Ahh, I see what you did there, yeah that makes sense. I'll definitely try flipping to greyscale on the next one.

Ohman, the Chiss are the coolest. A+.

I really like the silhouette set btw! like dang man

:> the future definitely holds more silhouette ones! I owe my roommate, for one thing, and then WHO KNOWS whose characters I will fill the rest of the classes out with

Oh btw, with regards to the colouring/shading, it can definitely really help to even colour in greyscale first (which is definitely better for judging shading strength, like samias said) and then go over it with colours in multiply/soft light/etc once you're satisfied with it! I only just started using the glaze technique pretty frequently, but I personally found it easier when I concentrated entirely on shading first and then moved on to playing around with the colours!

As for adding hues or creating more contrast, the overlay layer/blend mode is your best friend, man.

Hmm. I've never quite been able to bring myself to go greyscale first then color (flipping to greyscale to check for reference every so often like Samias said always made more sense), it always seemed like it would have weird results with color blending. But I'm willing to give it a try.

What's the glaze technique? I'm not familiar. ohwaitmewexplainsitdisregardmylackofreadingcomprehension

ALL THIS SWTOR FANART I DIG IT. I wish I was a real subscriber again, then I might actually play it. I miss my Sith assasssssinnn, she'd be a fun one to do fanart of, all them crazy Klingon folds.

my true mission is to roll up the Creative board into one giant Star Wars katamari ball, starting with RP and then moving on to general MY PLAN HAS BEEN FOUND OUT

Anyways, yay more painting help on top of Samias and Erdgeist! Here's something that can make it easier to get colors looking right. I dunno if you've seen any tutorials on this or what, I'd never really used this glazing technique until I learned it this semester. At the very least it makes painting much quicker for me.

[spoiler=Process explanation thing]

d80fb3c4fd7ea36edf3dd939147ac31c.pngac9a11da7a62a9885f3cc83af728d8d6.png?1362505668

The one on the left is your image, desaturated, as you can see, the face doesn't have much contrast and looks very evenly lit. All I did to the one on the right was mess with Levels to add a greater range of values, it looks kinda weird like this but it'll look much cooler with color.

0e366497e6dbb399161b043b797170e5.png71fed6e9486088ed0959e32397a0133d.png?1362505805

That's an Overlay layer of some violets, blues and yellows. The one on the right is what the layer looks like as a normal layer. One thing I can suggest for this part is keeping the brightness of your colors at a pure 50% brightness (using the HSB slider) so it doesn't mess with the values already set. I actually screwed up on this part, the yellow isn't at 50% brightness. Doesn't look horrendous though, you just have to be aware of it.

f3e12a6c38fd7bff116495579c284d33.png?1362506220

For this, I added another layer on Soft Light (just one blue color) to give her some more deep blues, because she didn't look blue enough to me. I also messed with the eyes a tiny bit, though I realize she wasn't supposd to have an eyelid crease oops. I also gave her a last Overlay layer of a small amount of red to add blush to those cheeks! Yay layer blending abuse! I wasn't going to but then I realized that Chiss do have red blood :V

At this point I'd go in and smooth everything out by hand on top of all of this, detail more of the hair, and push the highlights a bit more, they're a bit meh right now. The scar also needs some scar tissue texture/color. Also I might have screwed up the lighting--I perceived it as a stronger backlight and a weaker light from the front, lol, I might've gone a bit too crazy with the lighting drama. That's a bad habit of mine~

This isn't under the pretense of me being an amazing painter/artist or whatever, I just hope this helps because it sure helped me. :D This technique helped me with color soo much ugh I'm so slow at it otherwise.

hm yes aha DEMONSTRATIONS. That's definitely a lot darker and more red than I'd intended the whole thing to be, but I see where you're going with the technique.

Thanks guys!

now I need to stop playing kotor 2 and do my homework and

draw more star wars

need to get out of my house and stop being so demotivated.

• 3 weeks later...

only mostly dead! i dunno i've been super artblocked but

here are a couple of sketches while i dig my way through a pile of homework and also furetchen's commission

neeeerf

double_pistols_and_a_ribbon_by_kdanger13-d608i48.png

grumpy sith inquisitor (unfortunately this is a screenshot trace because i was having that hard of a time getting past the artblock)

tumblr_ml0x1n75Jy1s6g8ryo1_500.png

oh that's not the commission, sorry i don't words clearly, that's one of the sketches, commission is in progress behind the scenes

and yeah she did turn out kind of skinny. She was less so at first but then I realized she was like a zillion heads tall and resized her head, and didn't add any width to the body to match so whoops.

also thanks :>

Edited by kdanger

• 2 months later...

holy shit you guys I LIVE

and I finished a commission for Furetchen, FINALLY

furetcommish_zps2848a255.png

I haven't been in an art drought! I've just done this and a shitload of Star Wars crap which lives here and I'll probably consolidate it into some artdumps and post those at some point.

NOT DEAD, YOU GUYS

lousy stinking goddamn rich text editor anyway i fixed the thing

Edited by kdanger

• 3 weeks later...

I think your colour choices for hair are pretty nice, but painting faces is pretty tough so I want to give some pointers and part of it relates to colour choice and others relate to overall anatomy.

Anyway, skin is one of the hardest things to convincingly paint because of colour and light theory and how conditions change all the time and I'm not really an expert on this either, but I think the vibrance of the shadow colours could be higher. Kelas for example has a lot of colour wheel range and different saturation in her hair that gives her some nice highlights, but her skin is pretty flat. I also think her facial plains could be a little reworked. Everyone's facial anatomy is different but I think the drawing implies high and sharp cheekbones while the painting job has them low and wide. Also, the area under her eyes could have a bit of lightness added, due to the shape of the lids catching a bit of light due to all the folds. The lips are pretty small and I know that's part of your artstyle but in my demonstration I ended up changing it...

Quickie demonstration:

kdanger_kelaspaintover.jpg

• 1 month later...

hello yes i have been reading critiques (and engaging with them on IRC if i remember right) and also MORE PRACTICE and oh look IT'S ALL STAR WARS oh well

been working on shading, specifically getting a good value range in there and bringing more color into the lights/shadows.

Face practice:

Michaeli (my Jedi Sentinel)

tumblr_mraorvi9It1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Liyasha (friend character)

tumblr_mrc7h3UVFo1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Nauri (friend character)

tumblr_mrcfkgR6SR1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Cyrona (Furet's Sith Warrior)-- I'm less satisfied with how she turned out, but Furet likes her and PRACTICE.

tumblr_mrck7nAWCw1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Auriva (friend character) Moving back into my usual marker shading after using the brush practice to make myself chill out a little bit about shading.

tumblr_mrnnbixuks1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Soona (friend character) that face makeup tho

tumblr_mrpdm6niJJ1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

Guileta (friend character) Probably would have smoothed out some of the brushstrokes in the hair with the marker if I were to do it again, but it was an experiment.

tumblr_mrr2uixUbc1s6g8ryo1_r1_1280.png

Vevta (friend character) WELL WE HAD TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE RAINBOW-COLORED NONHUMAN IN HERE.

tumblr_mrrc4bMF5z1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

how do mouths esp how do mouths on angles that are not full forward or profile pls help

Also a couple of more stylized things concerning my horrible asshole sorcerer and the people she manipulates:

young and terrible

tumblr_mqkxvdWiRb1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

old and even more terrible, now with reliable apprentice left and disposable minions right

tumblr_mr6jnovfkd1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

there's inevitably more stuff in the tag but a lot of it is silly doodles

ALSO THERE IS A USEFUL THING THAT I HAVE FOUND THAT MAY INTEREST SOME OF YOU. hands are hard to draw and head angles are hard to draw and you can look at your non-dominant hand for quicky reference but that's about it. WELL IT TURNS OUT THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT. It has a bunch of poses for hands and a face model and you can twirl them all around to view them on different angles and add different lighting for lighting references and wow. it's great. It's on Android and iOS and it is FREE go check it out

I think with lips in profile, you just need to think that they protrude slightly, and that one side will be shorter and curve around the face more, so it ends up being a much more asymmetrical piece. But I think you've improved a lot and I really like Soona, Cyrona, and Guileta, plus your other two big pictures. For the first bigger piece, I think you could punch it up even more by using some solid, thin chunks of the purple on the side edge of the character's face and red on the bottom edge, and some other little edge lights here and there. Some on the hair too would be really nice, so you can see the shapes better. The ambient light coming off the light sources is pretty nice already.

Nice work. Your experimenting with values and colors is really paying off! I especially love the colors on Liyasha, Nauri, and Cyrona. They do a great job of tying the portraits together. I could easily see each one fitting into a larger piece with backgrounds and such, if you wished to try out those palettes again.

Mouths at angles...okay, I have trouble with this as well, so read at your own risk. Some might suggest envisioning the lips as if they were on a tuna can, like here. I personally prefer to imagine the mouth wrapped around a horseshoe shape, which reflects the shape of the jaw and the teeth. The green section in this post kind of talks about that a little more. Also, the center and middle of the tuna can/horseshoe shade usually protrude a little more than the rest. It helps to draw out the jaw/simple horseshoe and connect it to the ears. Then you can try placing mouths at different angles and expressions.

• 9 months later...

holy what did i draw some fire emblems for warmup sketches (holy what am i posting in something other than the LoAF topic)

my image sizes are really fucking huge anymore and i'm bringing them all over from tumblr so spoiler cuts ahoy

[spoiler=FE10 Mia- limited palette meme]

tumblr_n6vpggUSh51s6g8ryo1_1280.png

[spoiler=Marcia]

tumblr_n6ity1mEug1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

tumblr_n6ity1mEug1s6g8ryo2_500.jpg

[spoiler=TITANIA]

tumblr_inline_n65wzgZngf1qmwzsk.png

[spoiler=Ninian]

tumblr_n65t7iWi5m1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

[spoiler=Lute]

tumblr_n65oztSYvX1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

[spoiler=Lyn]

tumblr_n65nu1IMBU1s6g8ryo1_1280.png

[spoiler=Kelas from LoAF]

tumblr_n4rwsbz83T1s6g8ryo1_500.png

i have more fanart happening on my gaming blog (mostly ace attorney and swtor), if you've been wondering where the hell I went it's there

also a shitload of ridiculous shouting but i only linked the art tag here because this is the art topic idk