What powers do the moderators, administrator, ect. have

luigi bros

I asked question about what group meant but I'm not so sure I understand what power/authority the moderators, administrators, and anyone who has a group that regular users can't get.

Moderators can warn other users, and post in closed topics. Generally enforce rules.

Administrators are able to ban, and use Admin Control Panel. They keep the Forum running, and without an Admin, a Forum will likely crash and burn after a while.

Assistant, currently being Horsemangirl is a bit above Moderators.

I know on FEE the Mod CP lets you pin/close topics, post in closed topics, view invisible topics/posts, edit the visibility of topics/posts, warn members, suspend members, edit/delete other member's posts, and edit/delete other people's sigs. You also get to see the invisible VIP Section.

The Admin CP lets you do all that as well as edit member groups (i.e. ban, promote to moderator, etc.), create/edit/delete sections, and a handful of other things.

I'm guessing it's all basically the same here.

Either the mods here can't edit other people's posts, or they don't know that they have that power.

It's just discretion. If mods edited other people's posts a lot, I'd be reluctant to post knowing that someone's going to fuck with it and possibly change the meaning.

Either the mods here can't edit other people's posts, or they don't know that they have that power.

Or it could be that we just haven't had any reason to edit anyone's post.

Everyone is forgetting just one thing...

Making topic sticky/unstickying stickied topics (also known as Pinned), though I guess that would fall under.

edit the visibility of topics/posts

Though making topics invisible is a totally different thing.

This is how I view it:

Mods are like your police officers who enforce the laws and arrest (suspend) the criminals.

Admins are like your top dogs say your D.A.s who watch over everything in the law enforcement and does the bigger stuff.

I also wonder, what is the limit a mod can suspend a member? Three months at the most?

We can suspend someone indefinitely, although I highly doubt a suspension would be for any more than a week or two. Any more and it might as well have been a ban.

If you actually research the word, "Moderator" is actually a term used for people who mediate. Basically, those who keep the peace around the forum.

Theoretically, if a "moderator" goes ballistic on a member for breaking a rule, they're actually violating their role. XD

Just found that interesting, so I mentioned it.

Edited by Eltoshen

I also wonder, what is the limit a mod can suspend a member? Three months at the most?

I'm guessing that the warning system here is the same as at FEE, since it seems like it's all the same format.

2i6yzie.png

It pushes it down to like 5 years or something, but the limit to how long a mod can suspend a member is generally longer than you can expect a forum to stay active.