Should we make backstories for the characters?

So being a hick automatically makes him not crazy?

What bizzaro world do you live in? XD lol

It can be difficult to distinguish between overly paranoid and slightly crazey.
That, and what Navarre said.

Besides, in a way he saw his paranoia was right. I'd imagine there being a moment of relief with knowing you were right.

So, we're to assume everything that comes out of his mouth is false?

Eh?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we're to assume everything that comes out of his mouth is false?

Eh?

Not so much he's lying as much as he stretches the truth. He was in fact part of the army, just he wasn't a soldier. Being a paranoid inventor, I'm sure he'd want to change a detail to keep his own personal things a secret thing to anyone, no matter who it is. Having serious paranoia sucks. Some have it every now and then (ya know, like "omg, im so paranoid about something", in a really not meaning it sort of way or in an uncanny way), but he has it like in a serious way and it's stuck with him all the time.

To be honest, I find him a character to pity more than anything.

Hm. I can live with that.

Has someone made a backstory for Matthis besides "oh noez im guna die so ill fite"?

He's actually kinda has one going on really. Basically he was forced to fight for Michalis because yadda yadda we already know. Basically he and Lena are part of the royal family actually (of Macedonia), just lower on the branches. Relatively secluded and his part of teh family didn't really have any power over anything, just they're related. In a way, it makes Lena a princess and Matthis a prince. However their part of the family didn't really have the power to be considered such. Lena ran off to be a priestess for her own personal enlightenment while Matthis...pretty much led a normal life. He had a fondness of archery and tried to do well in it like sportsmanship-wise, but...he never got too good before the war started. He'd never imagined being in a war, never wanted to fight one. He didn't know what he was being thrown into (explains his bad base stats). It's easy to see why he's so cowardly, he didn't wanna do this and he doesn't want to die here and now! He's got too much stuff he still needs to do! He is an admitted idiot, but his part of the family was poor so...he couldn't be taught much. He had a nickname back at his town, Prince of Peasants. The guy is...pretty damn unlucky.

So Matthis is one of the more normal guys in the cast.

He's actually kinda has one going on really. Basically he was forced to fight for Michalis because yadda yadda we already know. Basically he and Lena are part of the royal family actually (of Macedonia), just lower on the branches. Relatively secluded and his part of teh family didn't really have any power over anything, just they're related. In a way, it makes Lena a princess and Matthis a prince. However their part of the family didn't really have the power to be considered such. Lena ran off to be a priestess for her own personal enlightenment while Matthis...pretty much led a normal life. He had a fondness of archery and tried to do well in it like sportsmanship-wise, but...he never got too good before the war started. He'd never imagined being in a war, never wanted to fight one. He didn't know what he was being thrown into (explains his bad base stats). It's easy to see why he's so cowardly, he didn't wanna do this and he doesn't want to die here and now! He's got too much stuff he still needs to do! He is an admitted idiot, but his part of the family was poor so...he couldn't be taught much. He had a nickname back at his town, Prince of Peasants. The guy is...pretty damn unlucky.

So Matthis is one of the more normal guys in the cast.

You forgot to talk about his crossed-eyes.

Oh, I should mention a bit about Ogma's backstory that I'm not sure whether or not would affect the brother's-

It's from Oguma recruiting Samto in FE3 Book 2. (Luckily now I found the last version of that translation project's script so I can quickly put it down.)

(Talk with Oguma)

[Oguma]

Navarre...

You disappoint me...

[Navarre]

Woah, I don't believe it...

This Kill Sword is, like, so deadly...

[Oguma]

Do we have to fight?

Alright.

I guessed that we would have to duel eventually.

[samto]

Ah... Oh, snap! Woah, dude!

I'm just faking it! ...Faking!

It's me... Samto.

Have you totally forgotten, Mister Oguma?

[Oguma]

Samto!?

The pit-fighter from Norda, Samto?

[samto]

Yeah, that was me.

Thanks for saving me back then.

When everybody tried to escape, you got yourself caught, to hide our escape...

[Oguma]

[samto]

I heard from the others that you were taken to the coliseum to be whipped.

Even then, you didn't say anything about our whereabouts.

In the end, the young princess of Talis, who was passing by, protected you

even when she was in tears, and rescued you.

So, that is why, for Talis...

No... For the princess, you wielded your sword again...

[Oguma]

Enough...

Don't say anymore!

It's already in the past...

In the past...

[samto]

.....Mister Oguma...

Regardless, I hope to repay your favour!

Let me follow you, okay?

The sequence of Caeda rescuing Ogma was also in the FE OVA in a flashback.

EDIT: a few more dialog bits.

[Male villager]

Midia is the pride of Akaneia.

She was the daughter of the highest officer of Akaneia, Duke Owen.

This rebellion only came about because she could not stand and watch us suffer.

No matter what, you must rescue her.

Edited by Kiddo

Oh, I should mention a bit about Ogma's backstory that I'm not sure whether or not would affect the brother's-

It's from Oguma recruiting Samto in FE3 Book 2. (Luckily now I found the last version of that translation project's script so I can quickly put it down.)

(Talk with Oguma)

[Oguma]

Navarre...

You disappoint me...

[Navarre]

Woah, I don't believe it...

This Kill Sword is, like, so deadly...

[Oguma]

Do we have to fight?

Alright.

I guessed that we would have to duel eventually.

[samto]

Ah... Oh, snap! Woah, dude!

I'm just faking it! ...Faking!

It's me... Samto.

Have you totally forgotten, Mister Oguma?

[Oguma]

Samto!?

The pit-fighter from Norda, Samto?

[samto]

Yeah, that was me.

Thanks for saving me back then.

When everybody tried to escape, you got yourself caught, to hide our escape...

[Oguma]

[samto]

I heard from the others that you were taken to the coliseum to be whipped.

Even then, you didn't say anything about our whereabouts.

In the end, the young princess of Talis, who was passing by, protected you

even when she was in tears, and rescued you.

So, that is why, for Talis...

No... For the princess, you wielded your sword again...

[Oguma]

Enough...

Don't say anymore!

It's already in the past...

In the past...

[samto]

.....Mister Oguma...

Regardless, I hope to repay your favour!

Let me follow you, okay?

The sequence of Caeda rescuing Ogma was also in the FE OVA in a flashback.

EDIT: a few more dialog bits.

[Male villager]

Midia is the pride of Akaneia.

She was the daughter of the highest officer of Akaneia, Duke Owen.

This rebellion only came about because she could not stand and watch us suffer.

No matter what, you must rescue her.

Interesting tidbit. Here's how it went down. Barst sent the request to Cord, Cord brought it up to the princess, she helps them get clearance in by acting as if she were at the arena for diplomatic reasons (like to show respect). Everyone was distracted by the news, she slips out during the events (what would the guards and people think other than when nature calls?), and aids in the rescue. Done and done.

Midia, brash, tough and noble. More and more shows how admirable she is. Yeah, I found tough brashness in the face of danger admirable, sue me ;;>>

Right. Done up that BSFE Story 3 translation well enough that I think I got some nice bits out of it.

Rickard:

a) Definitely a kid ("DON'T CALL ME KID!") of mischief. It'd be hard to believe him to be 23 years old like (wherever that source was) stated.

B) Probably actually has no intention on actually following through with what he says about being a "thief of justice", but habitually has a bit too much heart to just keep the treasure, which leads to most of his escapades being like a "Nerima Daikon Bros." episode where in the all, all the stuff he tries to steal goes to more deserving people.

c) ^ the above may be why he constantly says not to trust women. Which would then make him a sad victim of being unable to listen to his own advice. He tends to have a naivety unlike a normal thief.

d) Can seem to slip away from most troubles, but...

e) Should never, EVER break into a castle EVER AGAIN for crying out loud DOESN'T HE LEARN?

Castor:

Is a large ham. No, the lies tries to tell aren't just for money - otherwise he'd probably have asked for cash up-front like Navarre and Dice did, and would've been more likely to defect from Marth's side - but rather for the sheer attention. He may aspire to be an actor, or perhaps he thinks he can score some women with this act. The "Sick mother" thing is likely a lie, of course. (likely? lol)

Navarre:

a) Takes bodyguard jobs for a large fee (Well, apparently 1000g up front is large according to BS FE.) - due to his reputation he's probably done at least a few high-profile assassin jobs or Coliseum kills, though.

B) Prefers female clients - in fact, tends to be easily swayed by women in general. Even the ones that would be an annoyance equal to Rickard (I'm looking at you, Feema! And ironically enough Navarre/Feema has potential to be canon, too.)

c) Is cocky, although for good reason - when a random stranger knows your name, you're probably infamous.

d) Doesn't like liars. I get the idea that he would potentially bail out of a job if he got the idea he was being lied to.

e) People seem to recognize him not just for his looks, but for the "Killer Edge" sword which he carries. The sword seems to be his trademark - to the point where people recognize the blade more than his face. This may be why Samto is able to trick people with his impersonation - this begs the question of where Killer Edges come from in Archanea.

Right. Done up that BSFE Story 3 translation well enough that I think I got some nice bits out of it.

Rickard:

a) Definitely a kid ("DON'T CALL ME KID!") of mischief. It'd be hard to believe him to be 23 years old like (wherever that source was) stated.

B) Probably actually has no intention on actually following through with what he says about being a "thief of justice", but habitually has a bit too much heart to just keep the treasure, which leads to most of his escapades being like a "Nerima Daikon Bros." episode where in the all, all the stuff he tries to steal goes to more deserving people.

c) ^ the above may be why he constantly says not to trust women. Which would then make him a sad victim of being unable to listen to his own advice. He tends to have a naivety unlike a normal thief.

d) Can seem to slip away from most troubles, but...

e) Should never, EVER break into a castle EVER AGAIN for crying out loud DOESN'T HE LEARN?

Castor:

Is a large ham. No, the lies tries to tell aren't just for money - otherwise he'd probably have asked for cash up-front like Navarre and Dice did, and would've been more likely to defect from Marth's side - but rather for the sheer attention. He may aspire to be an actor, or perhaps he thinks he can score some women with this act. The "Sick mother" thing is likely a lie, of course. (likely? lol)

Navarre:

a) Takes bodyguard jobs for a large fee (Well, apparently 1000g up front is large according to BS FE.) - due to his reputation he's probably done at least a few high-profile assassin jobs or Coliseum kills, though.

B) Prefers female clients - in fact, tends to be easily swayed by women in general. Even the ones that would be an annoyance equal to Rickard (I'm looking at you, Feema! And ironically enough Navarre/Feema has potential to be canon, too.)

c) Is cocky, although for good reason - when a random stranger knows your name, you're probably infamous.

d) Doesn't like liars. I get the idea that he would potentially bail out of a job if he got the idea he was being lied to.

e) People seem to recognize him not just for his looks, but for the "Killer Edge" sword which he carries. The sword seems to be his trademark - to the point where people recognize the blade more than his face. This may be why Samto is able to trick people with his impersonation - this begs the question of where Killer Edges come from in Archanea.

Wow, that's...quite a bit. Rickard could be worked on, but I feel Kashim has enough development on him. So, Rickard and Navarre.

We all know Rickard is a Soothsire. How did it come to be? Well he simply was Julian's apprentice in a way. Rickard had found the thief in Gardia, due to..well..he was an orphan, he had nowhere else to go. He started rather young too, he had nowhere to go. Julian had no problem with it, it wasn't like Rickard would sell him out. Julian became confused by the odd kid's behavior. He didn't seem right as a thief at all. He seemed like a goodie-two shoes. He spoke out about who they robbed, what they did with what they took, even personal things like Julian's...promiscuity. How could a kid in thievery so down on his luck be so...naive? Eventually, Hulian just got sick of the kid and they parted ways. He was annoying, naive, stupid and too nice to do what they did. From there, Rickard was on his own from there on, doing what he does. Until...

Rather simple, but I don't think Rickard would have a lot to tell.

Navarre however...I'm thinking I'll have to put more thought on him, I wouldn't want to make this man depthless.

More replacing of generic death quotes.

Bord: I've helped y'all out...as much as I can. Live happy, bros...

Cord: Could have...been so much more...What a waste of time...

Barst: Sorry, Ogma...You've taught me well, and I wasted it...Go on...without me, bros...

Dolph: Dying a knight's death...If only a..cold hearted bastard like you...could know such pride...(referring to Michelan).

Michelan: A mercenary's death...Find my lone corpse, you stuck up knight...and get used to the idea....(referring to Dolph).

Thomas: S-So....so cold...S..Sedgar!...He...Help me...

Edited by Destiny Furry

BTW, should we check to make sure our made-up background stuff doesn't contradict the mangas on the site, as well? I could go through them for a look.

I also found on NicoNicoDouga some lo-quality portions of an FE Audio Drama, but I don't think I understand Japanese enough to know much more about it...

Anyway, I think I'll try figuring something on Navarre. Hopefully this doesn't sound too crazy.

Navarre was the son of a blacksmith. This blacksmith was a bit of an oddball who would design fancy swords to sell for premiums. Most of the world found this very idea laughable, so the blacksmith's sales went only to a small niche of nerdy sword collectors. Navarre himself had a hard time putting up with the crazy man, and would sometimes throw death threats at him, but never actually had the heart to follow through on them.

Eventually the money would drain out, and the blacksmith could not sell another sword. Needing to feed his face, Navarre then decided to go to get some cash in the coliseum. For his first trip, he took a sword of his own father's design due merely to a shortage of other available weapons.

His first opponent was a an intimidating lance-wielding paladin. Obviously, no one thought Navarre stood a chance.... but almost as if it was a miracle, Navarre struck the paladin to his death in a single, quick blow. The event was such a shock that Navarre was eventually barred from the coliseum because his actions threw a monkey wrench into their gambling side-business (When there's only one certain winner, after all, it's not a gamble anymore.) - and Navarre would never throw a match.

Was it a miracle? Was it his skill? Or was it the sword he wielded, which no one in that place had seen before? People would recall the sword and call it the "Killer Edge", associating it with Navarre's infamous first kill. A few of them were higher-class people, who learned from behind-the-scenes that Navarre was out of a job, and they offered him mercenary duty.

Navarre knew his fame and used it to his advantage. He would take bodyguard and assassination jobs for high fees. He would eventually be rich, and be comfortable enough with his cash flow that he could be more picky about his work. He started to favor bodyguard jobs from young women.

There was one particular noble woman, in fact. She reminded Navarre much of his father, yet for whatever reason Navarre didn't have the heart to reject an offer from her, even as she nitpicked about his clothing style and other junk which had nothing to do with his job, while wearing overly elaborate dresses that no normal person could even afford. He started doing bodyguard duty for her...

She was on the outskirts of town, so every now and then a group of bandits would be lurking around, and Navarre would kill them. Wasn't necessarily the most challenging work, but this girl paid big...

But then eventually it dawned on him that for whatever reason this bodyguard duty was going on way longer than it should have. Most jobs last a couple days at most, but this was like, what, a year now? Did she do something to get these bandits attacking her? Why does she act all weird? What is she hiding, from them... from him?

Every time he questioned her about this, though, she just slipped more gold into his pocket....

Eventually though Navarre stopped caring about the money she gave him, and told her outright that his contract could not be renewed. He would leave her side... and then come to regret it.

Y'see, all the bandits were talking about the girl who kept throwing money at Navarre like it was candy. She must've been rich, right? They would go in while Navarre was gone and attempt to steal everything.... but much to their shock, there was only one elaborate dress. They've plundered bigger lots than this for breakfast! Where did all the money go? She would only tell them "I gave it all to my lover."

Infuriated, they killed her on the spot.

At the same time, Navarre got an offer to wipe the town of bandits, and tracked them back down to this house. He saw the girl he just left being murdered in front of his own eyes.

Realizing his grave error, he would promptly rip the bandits to shreds. When this was done, though, he gave his employer back his advance payment, telling him "This was my first failure". The employer didn't get it quite yet - the lone girl that was killed in the time of Navarre's job offer was considered the town misfit anyway- but before he understood, Navarre vanished, wandering like a ronin... He abandoned all his belongings, except for the Killer Edge which he carried, and was said to have rarely taken a job since - in fact, rumors that doing bodyguard duty for a sister stealing from Archanea's Palace was the first job he took since this incident...

BTW, should we check to make sure our made-up background stuff doesn't contradict the mangas on the site, as well? I could go through them for a look.

I also found on NicoNicoDouga some lo-quality portions of an FE Audio Drama, but I don't think I understand Japanese enough to know much more about it...

Anyway, I think I'll try figuring something on Navarre. Hopefully this doesn't sound too crazy.

Navarre was the son of a blacksmith. This blacksmith was a bit of an oddball who would design fancy swords to sell for premiums. Most of the world found this very idea laughable, so the blacksmith's sales went only to a small niche of nerdy sword collectors. Navarre himself had a hard time putting up with the crazy man, and would sometimes throw death threats at him, but never actually had the heart to follow through on them.

Eventually the money would drain out, and the blacksmith could not sell another sword. Needing to feed his face, Navarre then decided to go to get some cash in the coliseum. For his first trip, he took a sword of his own father's design due merely to a shortage of other available weapons.

His first opponent was a an intimidating lance-wielding paladin. Obviously, no one thought Navarre stood a chance.... but almost as if it was a miracle, Navarre struck the paladin to his death in a single, quick blow. The event was such a shock that Navarre was eventually barred from the coliseum because his actions threw a monkey wrench into their gambling side-business (When there's only one certain winner, after all, it's not a gamble anymore.) - and Navarre would never throw a match.

Was it a miracle? Was it his skill? Or was it the sword he wielded, which no one in that place had seen before? People would recall the sword and call it the "Killer Edge", associating it with Navarre's infamous first kill. A few of them were higher-class people, who learned from behind-the-scenes that Navarre was out of a job, and they offered him mercenary duty.

Navarre knew his fame and used it to his advantage. He would take bodyguard and assassination jobs for high fees. He would eventually be rich, and be comfortable enough with his cash flow that he could be more picky about his work. He started to favor bodyguard jobs from young women.

There was one particular noble woman, in fact. She reminded Navarre much of his father, yet for whatever reason Navarre didn't have the heart to reject an offer from her, even as she nitpicked about his clothing style and other junk which had nothing to do with his job, while wearing overly elaborate dresses that no normal person could even afford. He started doing bodyguard duty for her...

She was on the outskirts of town, so every now and then a group of bandits would be lurking around, and Navarre would kill them. Wasn't necessarily the most challenging work, but this girl paid big...

But then eventually it dawned on him that for whatever reason this bodyguard duty was going on way longer than it should have. Most jobs last a couple days at most, but this was like, what, a year now? Did she do something to get these bandits attacking her? Why does she act all weird? What is she hiding, from them... from him?

Every time he questioned her about this, though, she just slipped more gold into his pocket....

Eventually though Navarre stopped caring about the money she gave him, and told her outright that his contract could not be renewed. He would leave her side... and then come to regret it.

Y'see, all the bandits were talking about the girl who kept throwing money at Navarre like it was candy. She must've been rich, right? They would go in while Navarre was gone and attempt to steal everything.... but much to their shock, there was only one elaborate dress. They've plundered bigger lots than this for breakfast! Where did all the money go? She would only tell them "I gave it all to my lover."

Infuriated, they killed her on the spot.

At the same time, Navarre got an offer to wipe the town of bandits, and tracked them back down to this house. He saw the girl he just left being murdered in front of his own eyes.

Realizing his grave error, he would promptly rip the bandits to shreds. When this was done, though, he gave his employer back his advance payment, telling him "This was my first failure". The employer didn't get it quite yet - the lone girl that was killed in the time of Navarre's job offer was considered the town misfit anyway- but before he understood, Navarre vanished, wandering like a ronin... He abandoned all his belongings, except for the Killer Edge which he carried, and was said to have rarely taken a job since - in fact, rumors that doing bodyguard duty for a sister stealing from Archanea's Palace was the first job he took since this incident...

Since when is the manga canon? Besides, I doubt it would tell much.

I was gonna think something up about Navarre actually being a former guard of Shiida along with Oguma and getting run out when the pirates came, but yours is...tons better XD He could have been paid to guard her once as a job, thus how she knows him.

As for this rich fancy lady who's rather critical...Athena seems to be dressed in something fancy for a random myrmidon...

Heh. I was kinda hoping for the fancy lady to have a a vague resemblance to Feema from Book 2 - combined with the interactions I'd perceive him having with his father, Julian, and Rickard, a constant running theme in his life would be him being stern and serious around utter goofballs whom he can't fully understand.

Peculiarly enough, I don't recall if you could ever have a team setup where Navarre and Athena can both be in your party - it'd be a fairly ironic twist, wouldn't it?

Heh. I was kinda hoping for the fancy lady to have a a vague resemblance to Feema from Book 2 - combined with the interactions I'd perceive him having with his father, Julian, and Rickard, a constant running theme in his life would be him being stern and serious around utter goofballs whom he can't fully understand.

Peculiarly enough, I don't recall if you could ever have a team setup where Navarre and Athena can both be in your party - it'd be a fairly ironic twist, wouldn't it?

Stern, serious, perhaps even hateful towards their types...Navarre's an uptight dude. No wonder he only took jobs from young women, he'd need any excuse to blow off steam. There's a devil hiding in him...

You can, by the way. Just means killing off a different unit aside from him. There's just barely enough room if we kill Daros, Bord, Draug, Jeigen, Frey(really, how many badass cavaliers do we need?), Gordin, Norn, Shiida, Lena, Wendel, Vyland and Roshea.

Edited by Grandjackal

• 1 year later...

As the topic creator, I'm pretty sure that I'm allowed to necro this topic >_>

Here's a list of characters in need of backstories:

Wrys (doesn't have a real backstory)

Castor

Lena (did she ever get her own, or was she just referenced in several of the others?)

Merric

Shiida (if someone wants to do this)

Jagen

Wendell

Boah

Bantu (we can certainly have more that "hurf durf old dragon dude")

Jeorge

Maria

Minerva (I think nobody actually did a proper backstory)

Linde

Horace

Astram

The Pegasus Sisters (referenced, but nobody actually made a backstory)

Etzel

Lorenz

Ymir

CASTOR

Right, now I know almost NO backstory about Castor, but fortunately, Castor has almost no backstory, so we should be fine. Feel free to ditch this. It's full of plot holes, too. And I think Shiida's meant to know him. Oh well.

Right, now Castor was a fairly neurotic child (all our archers seem to be this way) who as a result of constant beatings by other children clung firmly to family. His (grand?)mother was his only pillar in life, and he rarely even got out of the place, except to set traps and shoot the occasional rabbit.

Then, tragedy struck. One day, Castor noticed his (grand?)mother wasn't awake by midday. A cold terror gripped his heart, and he rushed into her ... room, for lack of a better term (microshack, maybe). Sure enough, Castor's unnamed redshirt possibly grand- mother was dead.

Castor's mind broke.

He convinced himself this was some strange strain of an illness, or poison, but strove to find the cure. One of the herbal remedies he'd heard about had to fix this kind of this, surely! Or...or a cleric! A curate might be able to help! He fell in with a group of bandits, hoping to get enough money to go to the city and buy this antidote/Aid of God he knew existed. The bandits figured that the more redshirts they could gather the better, but unfortunately for Castor this route to cash proved slim pickings. Castor is recruited into the army figuring he might be paid better, and has a better hope of finding anyone who can help cure his mother.

New death quote, as seems to be the fashion; "M-mother! It'll...be alright for us...both. I...know it..."