What is...

Allan's Aokage

OK, I downloaded a ROM of SS (I do have the game =P), and the Virtual Boy Advance. I want to do a hack, but I have a slight problem - I don't know how to hack at all.

So; how would I change the class (and stats) of my units?

(Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, sorry about this >_>)

Edited by VincentASM

If you haven't done this before, you might want to start out using the Nightmare Modules for it. They really simplify everything. I don't exactly have a link to them available, but I am sure someone else could point you in the right direction.

If you haven't done this before, you might want to start out using the Nightmare Modules for it. They really simplify everything. I don't exactly have a link to them available, but I am sure someone else could point you in the right direction.

Go here:

K?

Then search Nightmare Module.

god damn, i dont understand any of this...

ok, im hijacking this topic for a moment here.

what i want to do is an FE7 playthrough using hacked characters. what i mean by that is changed classes, weapons, weapon ranks, stats, etc. i've tried his before using the codebreaker on the VBA, and it worked for a few chapters, but i had to take off the weapon rank codes so i could actually gain weapon level... and then everything went to crap and the game crashed.

im not interested in changing text, sprites, or the maps. just that stuff. i downloaded winhex and nightmare already...

Just open Nightmare, load your ROM, and then load the modules of the things that you want to change. Then edit things, and save the changes to your ROM file by hitting Enter/Return.

It seems pretty self-explanatory to me o__o

For example, use the character modules to change the character portraits and stats, and then use the Chapter Unit Editor (CUE) module to change the classes. The weapons and actual classes can be changed with the weapons and class modules.

Here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to use Nightmare.

1. Download Nightmare and the FE Nightmare modules.

2. Extract everything (right-click extract, WinRAR helps, or open the file and on the left it'll say extract).

3. Open up Nightmare (the moonish icon).

4. Open up your game ROM, I'll say FE8 for instance.

5. Open up any modules you want. These are .nmm files, NOT .txt files.

6. It should load with no errors. There is a dropdown at the top. Choose the module you want to use.

7. A bunch of information you can edit will appear. For now, I recommend editing the simple stuff; stats, growths, etc., and keep them under 125 (actually 127).

8. I recommend you edit something you can notice on the prologue (like Lyn). Using the CUE (Chapter Unit Editor), you can edit class and levels. Change something like that so you can make sure you got it to work.

9. Hit enter after every change you do, or after every change you do in a module. So change info in a module, hit enter, go to another module. Edit some more stuff, hit enter. You should see a star/asterisk at the top left of Nightmare.

10. Ctrl+S to save. Save once in a while too. It's useful.

11. Open up VBA and play the game. Do everything normal and your changes should appear; permanently. It's good to remember what you changed and the such.

That's the long, basic tutorial. Honestly it's a lot simpler, but yah.

And don't worry about hex for now. That's a long ways off.

--------------------------

So, how many of you can actually hex edit? Hack FE or any other games? Made some good hacks, translate a game? Still use the parser or Anti-Huffman patch from Zeld? Actually edit graphics and change text? Custom mugs?

If you've done some of that, have you... (Icy Toast opened a huge door of many possibilities. It'd be a shame if you didn't enter.)

- Create maps?

- Customize shops, armories, etc.?

- Custom shops and the such AND custom maps?

- Custom events?

- Expanding unit data for more units?

- Getting rid of the tutorial in the easiest of ways?

- World map events?

- Events with custom text and backgrounds?

- Expand all of this for almost endless possibilities?

- Custom chests or doors on custom maps?

- Better, cooler title screen?

- Custom intro movie?

- New, custom tilesets?

- Battle animations?

- Transferring data from FE8 to FE7?

- Implementing a navy in Fire Emblem? (this is my idea but...)

I'm curious as to how far you guys are, so tell me what you've done. If you think this should go in a separate post, just tell me, and I'll c/p it. =/

Angelix. Now you're someone familiar.

I use the FE7 Parser too. Some others and I found some problems with Zeld's Anti-huffman patch. I'd love to find another alternative, but even if I did, I don't have the time or effort to make 30 chapters worth of scripts and text in some "better" way when there's another lazier option for me.

That reminds me; Can we post hacks here?

-----------------------------

Edit: Honestly, where is the person that posted this topic? It's like they posted and left the forums the same minute.

I've been looking for a program like this for my favorite handheld FE (Sinister Laugh)!

I'd reccommend backing up any preexisting save files for the ROM and making a copy of said ROM(s) in case you really mess up and can't fix things XD

i got it to work, but for it to work, i had to click the option "link rom to modules"

anyways, how do i add more weapons into the game???

i want to expand the data for more weapons, etc.

i also want to find out how to modify the secret character datas (and add more as well), like beat tower 3 times you get lyon, but i want to hack it so that if i beat it 5 times, i get more lol

also, how do i set the level cap for the game???

sadly, with nightmare, you can't change it unless its a character reinforcement (like, coming in during the chapter)

What the hell are you talking about? :blink: My guess is you are talking about chartacters class, but it's still wrong.

if your trying to change a character's class items etc., it only changes if they are an reinforcement, the changes don't take effect if they join you in beginning of battle for example.

Yes they do. Are you sure you are editing the right thing? By your definition it would be impossible to edit Lyn's class or starting items since she joins in the beginning of prologue and she isn't part of any reinforcements.

Yes they do. Are you sure you are editing the right thing? By your definition it would be impossible to edit Lyn's class or starting items since she joins in the beginning of prologue and she isn't part of any reinforcements.

I tried changing her items, etc. and it wont take effect

I tried changing her items, etc. and it wont take effect

Then you are doing something wrong. Are you sure you are hacking prologue? Pressing "Enter" and then "Ctrl+s" to save changes? Reloading the ROM and restarting the chapter?