Gfaqs debate discussion and bracket

Vykan12

This is an FE10 tournament for anyone who's not sure.

I figured this would work better than relying on the stickies in order to discuss the gamefaqs tournament that got moved here. Currently, we have:

Round 1

Prognosis4/Vykan12 (Kyza) vs Anouleth (Lucia) - Anouleth has his closer left

Mekkah (Kieran) vs Reikken (Danved)- Reikken's turn to counter

Smashfanatic (Gareth) vs Charmander6000 (Meg)- Charmander's turn to counter

CrimsonFlash21 (Sothe) vs Red Fox of Fire (Volug) - Crimson's turn to counter

Although I did assign judges when I first organized this, moving the debates here might've thrown that off, so I don't mind if the judge panel here offers their opinions when the assigned judges are missing or taking too long to respond. And of course anyone who's part of the panel as well as the debates shouldn't be critiquing in their own debates for obvious reasons.

Last thing, I'm willing to clarify anything about the current debate format since that information was lost in the transition here. Probably the most important thing to point out currently is that the deadline for Charmander and Reikken's counter was *supposed* to be Thursday, which is tommorow, but seeing as this is the first round and this situation somewhat turned into a mess, I'll be lenient and let you guys have all the way up to monday before disqualifications. Though afterwards, I expect the 3 day deadline to be respected in the interest of keeping things active.

Oh, and here is the judge panel, forgot to mention who they actually were: Digital Cameras, Nflchamp, Dmassak, TheKiller37 and Void Templar.

Edited by Vykan12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*is Voidtemplar*

Isn't both opening and closing massively unfair? (the 2 most important posts and 1 more than the other person). Isn't Anouleth supposed to get one more post?

Edited by Xekr

Well Solid has a good guide for judging these types of debates here. Though basically, opener and closer count for less than the counters in the middle out of fairness.

I was under the impression that both sides still get 3 posts but you just count each person's middle 2 more.

EDIT: As seen in this paragraph

Last post and first post are given the least weight. The first post is made based off of no counters, and last post is never countered. The middle four posts are the most important. If one person or the other is doing better in those four posts, then it hardly matters that one person is doing better in the final exchange. Sometimes a h4x first post can decide a debate, as can a h4x last post, but generally speaking, the middle four matter the most. All are counters and all are followed by counters.

Quick edit is pretty cool. >_>

Edited by Xekr

Actually, my reply was supposed to be finished, but if you're allowing me to add some more to it, I'd be more than happy to.

But is CrimsonFlash21 even here? I don't think I've seen him post.

Actually, my reply was supposed to be finished, but if you're allowing me to add some more to it, I'd be more than happy to.

Yeah sure, I'd prefer quality of response > how fast you can put it together, especially considering how lazy FE debaters are in general.

But is CrimsonFlash21 even here? I don't think I've seen him post.

Possibly, though some people have radically different usernames here. I wasn't exactly expecting Xekr = Void, for instance. Just keep your fingers crossed he won't DQ :P

Edited by Vykan12

Update:

CrimsonFlash21 and Anouleth have timed out while Charmander forfeited. Mekkah has until tuesday to respond.

In case you're wondering, I let Reikken post rather late since he PMed me and we worked out an agreement.

Edited by Vykan12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, Reikken is 11 days late with his closer, I really have no choice but to time him out in the interest of keeping this tournament alive.

Anyway, round 2, pick up to 3 characters and I'll decide on the most reasonable match-ups, so long as all the debaters also agree with my choices.

Vykan12- Ranulf/Oscar/Nealuchi

Mekkah- Muarim/Janaff/Soren

Smashfanatic- Titania/Mordecai/Volke

Red Fox of Fire- Volug/Mist/Jill

Edited by Vykan12

Titania/Mordecai/Volke

Also, I have some big papers due next week (one due mon, one due wed as first draft which must be submitted as final draft by fri), so if possible can my opponent open, and can I have up until next Saturday or so to post?

Edited by smash fanatic

Hmm, here's some fair match-ups I can see:

Volug vs Titania

Ranulf vs Mordecai

Oscar vs Soren

Muarim vs Volke

Jill vs Janaff

Mist vs Soren

We only need to pick 2 match-ups, so either vote on your favorite ones or propose your own... unless you have a better idea on how to carry this out.

Concerning my characters:

Muarim would lose quite easily to Ranulf and Oscar, but eat Nealuchi for lunch, so I don't think we'd want that.

Titania rapes him, and Mordecai is like an infinitely superior match-up. Volke seems fair.

All of Fox's characters are too good unless I go durability hype on Mist.

The only units that seem to be able to compete with Janaff are Titania, Volug and Jill.

Soren is so flexible in both pro's and cons that he could be argued versus anyone but Titania and Volug, maybe not Jill either.

I would prefer to use Muarim though.

Hmm, here's some fair match-ups I can see:

Volug vs Titania

Ranulf vs Mordecai

Oscar vs Soren

Muarim vs Volke

Jill vs Janaff

Mist vs Soren

We only need to pick 2 match-ups, so either vote on your favorite ones or propose your own... unless you have a better idea on how to carry this out.

Oscar vs. Soren is the only one that sounds pretty one-sided to me. The others look fair enough and I could also see:

Titania vs. Janaff

Jill vs. Oscar

Jill vs. Ranulf

Oscar vs. Mordecai

Volke vs. Nealuchi

As for the best match-ups, I'd probably say Muarim vs. Volke and Jill vs. Ranulf/Oscar or Volug vs. Janaff and Volke vs. Nealuchi.

Man, I should be doing homework....

Here are my opinions on each of the 12 characters

Ranulf - High/Upper Mid tier

Oscar - High/Upper Mid

Nealuchi - Lower Mid

Muarim - Mid/Lower Mid

Janaff - Top/High

Soren - Mid

Titania - Top/High

Mordy - High/Upper mid

Volke - Lower Mid

Volug - Top

Mist - Upper Mid

Jill - High

I'd say no more than a tier difference between debated characters (using a system of Top/High/Upper mid/Mid/Lower Mid/Low/Bottom), and I doubt anyone will disagree with my general placements of the characters, so...

If there is a disagreement, then perhaps pitting that unit against a unit of a much higher or lower tier would prove to be interesting (e.g. if you think Mordy is Mid tier, and not High/Upper mid, pit him against a high tier character and see the results).

Ok, so how about this:

Vykan (Ranulf) vs Smash (Mordy)

Mekkah (Janaff) vs Red Fox (Volug)

Edited by Vykan12