Difficulty

Hanz

Up until the release of this game I read many reviews which claimed that this game was exceptionally difficult. Once I actually started playing it however, I failed to see what they were talking about, especially in regards to some earlier games in the series. Are these reviewers just not as familiar with the series as I am or am I missing something?

I'm thinking two things:

1) As you said, familiarity (or lack of it). There's also the fact that the game requires strategy, as well as permanent death of characters.

2) Pride. Since NA Normal mode was the JP Hard mode, I can see many reviewers playing on Normal mode, because they think they're too good for Easy.

They just suck. I mean, how can you honestly complain about a game's difficulty being so hard when you can save in the middle of a chapter, and it even lets you see how much damage and your chances of hitting before you even. fight. They just suck at video games. A lot.

I started off on Normal as always and really haven't run into to many problems. It just seems like the reviewers were exaggerating it and had me expecting much worse.

I start on normal for all FE games and I think that this game was a little bit more of a challenge than the other ones. That may be the reason they added the save thing cuz I lose people a lot more in this game than in any others (of course I restart the turn and save them, but still...)

Plus, I did just finish my first runthrough so I didn't know what to expect at the beginning of each chapter. On my second runthrough I'll prolly be like "oh yes, I remember this chapter. Better get ready for such-an-such."

But I still think this game did provide more of a challenge, though

The Gamespot review says that even easy mode is too hard, where as part 1 can be solo'd effortlessly using only Nolan, and then 3 using Ike and Haar, and such... Clearly the guy was a dumb ass.

But easy mode in FE10 is a joke... not so much like FE8 or 9's easy modes, but still really easy. Normal's pretty good though, and Hard's insane.

it takes a while to get used to fire emblem's game style...somewhere in my first play through of FE7 I got a hold of how it worked...I spammed Marcus in Eliwood's story...and at the time, I didn't know the difference between attacks and criticals...I was like "awesomez, he are doing the chargey attack!!!" and I thought it was cool that there were different attacks the characters could use...of course criticals =/= normal attack...in Radiant Dawn though, characters do have multiple different attacks, which is cool and keeps things interesting...

FE10 hard is really insane, because battle save doesnt exist instead is suspend and less exp (received from enemy and in BEXP) . normal is ok, just the first time is difficult because you dont know about the game, the next gameplays are quite easy.

I never have played easy mode.

I've cleared the game on normal and easy. Normal's fine, but easy is frankly, too easy. I'll understand people who say that normal mode is difficult (considering they're a first time player), but not for easy. Oh yeah, I played the Japanese version, with no battle-save feature.

This game is harder, you have to give it that. But it has battle save, so that balances things. Otherwise it would be too chaotic. Hm, chaos and balance, haven't I heard that somewhere before?

Oh yes, I have beaten it 1 1/2 times on normal, so I don't know how easy goes. But that gamespot reviewer is just a non-strategy fan who decided to be nit-picky. I've seen a lot of other official reviews and none are lower than 8 out of 10.

The game is gradually returning to the difficulty it was at in FE4. I like this change, and I hope they continue with it. Personally the reviewers are generally casual gamers that just want to play through it, write a review, and be done. This Fire Emblem is definitely more challenging than the past couple have been, and I hope it stays this way. Personally, I would've liked it if normal mode was a little harder, but not as hard as the US hard mode. I enjoy a challenge. :D

The game is gradually returning to the difficulty it was at in FE4. I like this change, and I hope they continue with it. Personally the reviewers are generally casual gamers that just want to play through it, write a review, and be done. This Fire Emblem is definitely more challenging than the past couple have been, and I hope it stays this way. Personally, I would've liked it if normal mode was a little harder, but not as hard as the US hard mode. I enjoy a challenge. :D

I have to agree with you there. :D

I think it's more difficult because they finally put in a more balanced ratio of enemy to character parameters. But I think some more games need to be made more challenging purely by difficulty rather than RNG most of the time.

*Reminds me of the numerous times I've been killed in Fire Emblem games by hit of 1 and Crit of 1 by a critical hit.* <_<

only have the jap version here. No in game saves. Playing Hard mode at the moment. Had to make sure my units have good stats and each of them fight like ten men.

Seriously, the first part gave me a lot more troubles than the others. Properly because I wasn't get use to the difficulty yet.