Dormant Chaos

Karino

Chaos.

That was the one thing that described Haes. Black, dirty hair was flung back by the wind on top of a mountain. With every step, his ratty black trenchcoat flattened against him. A small white bundle was in his arms, and he held it gently, as if it were fragile enough to break on the ground. Following him, a group of red-colored Bloodhounds.

As a snow troll, 7 feet tall, rose from the snow, the Bloodhounds went into action, latching onto the monster with their teeth. Without hesitation, Haes drew a saber from his back, lifted his hands above his head, and thrust it into the belly of the thing. It shrieked, or tried to, for one of the Bloodhounds had torn out its throat. It fell into the snow, a pool of red surrounding it.

Only one Bloodhound had stayed behind, a puppy that was roughly only one foot tall, when the maximum growth for a Bloodhound could be five feet. It pranced in the snow before relieving itself on the snow troll's carcass.

Haes found this amusing, and chuckled at the sight of the playful puppy.

A baby was crying. Haes opened the small bundle to see his son crying. He attempted to calm it down like he did the Bloodhounds, but as he touched bare skin, he drew his arm back, the intense cold burning his fingers. Muttering a small healing spell, he shook his fingers around a bit before, satisfied, continuing on the long walk.

It had taken him quite a while to reach the top of the mountain. At the summit, a circle of stones stood, and inside it something with unspeakable power resided. Haes's every step was full of terror as he approached the god of Snow, who turned to face his old companion.

"Snow, I beg of you, before I start my time in this jail, please transport my son and the puppy that will become his companion down the mountain, to the small village down below."

The pale face turned to regard him, then his son. "God of Darkness and Chaos, your wish has been granted."

Two mounds of snow rose up, with the baby and puppy on top, and began to move slowy, carefully, down the mountain.

Haes looked on for a moment before turning to his old friend. "I am ready," he said, and he and his Bloodhounds stepped into the circle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mommy, mommy! A baby just fell into the snow!"

Old Mother Daela, sighed and walked over to her son. She gasped as she realized he was not incorrect, for indeed, a puppy lay curled up next to a baby on the mountainside.

"Ael," she said, "get the Elders, get everyone!"

Ael nodded and ran off, leaving Daela standing next to the baby, singing softly.

• 2 weeks later...

---Vasalion Village---

"I'm worried about him."

"It's been years since the Snow Elves attacked, Daela. I'm sure that he will be fine. He also has the bloodhound, remember?"

Daela paused to look at the wizened old man next to her. He fixed her with a hard stare, until she looked away.

"But, Enin, you have to admit that he is odd. He fell down a mountain with a bloodhound puppy, for God's sake."

"He can take care of himself, he is a clever boy, you know."

"Yes, but...."

"Daela! You have to let him do something with his life. He wants to be an adventurer, so let him."

"But Enin! Do you not care for him at all? There are many Elves up there, Snow and Mountain!"

"Well, there are no Chaos, Forest, or any other type of elf up there, so that's as many not there."

"Enin, you..."

"It doesn't matter, just let it go."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting astride the huge Bloodhound, Lune, Doroon yawned rubbed his hands together. The temperature was below freezing point, and he was moving just so he wouldn't freeze.

"Pfft. Why is there no one here? It's boring," he muttered. Under him, Lune shook. "Oh, sorry, Lune. I just need someone to talk to. Not that I can't talk to you, but I need someone to respond. Not that you don't," he added as Lune made a small woofing noise under him.

A sudden gust of air blasted his black bangs from his forehead.

"Man, is it just me, or does it get colder the farther up I get here?"

"Lune... it's so... so cold..." Doroon said, but to no avail, for Lune had fallen asleep. The snow looked so soft. Surely it wouldn't hurt to sleep in it? Just a little while. Doroon looked at it. It seemed so inviting, so white, like a bed.

Doroon felt blackness over come him as the ground rushed towards him.

---------------------------------------------------

"Dulfaen. Ul konra telaon."

Doroon felt himself roughly shaken awake by ice-cold hands. His eyes opened with crackle as a thin layer of ice fractured and broke. Beside him, Lune stirred and growled.

"Donfa. Donfa kul raein."

Doroon finally came into full conciousness, and shook his head to wake himself up. Above him stood two humanoid creatures. They had no necks, or heads, but faces upon their chests. Their torso was long, with long spindly limbs. They had a yellow-gold spine consisting of spikes on their back, with ice-blue skin.

"Snow Elves?" Doroon asked, finally understanding why Lune was so tense and growling.

"Yes," one Elf began haltingly, "you... human...?"

"Yes."

"You... come... with us..."

"Why?"

The two elves conversed with each other for a while, before turning back.

"Chief... says.... Father... ancient... god."

Thoroughly confused, Doroon stood up, only to find his limbs too cold to walk. The two elves grabbed his arms to help him move, and guided him away from where he had slept. Lune stretched and followed.

• 2 weeks later...

Doroon surveyed his surroundings. Tall huts, risen on poles rose two yards in the air. He noted that the ladder always came on the North, and resolved to ask why later. He also noticed that as the Elves saw him, they knelt and prayed. Doroon, uneasy, hugged his shoulders. This was all to weird for him.

The Elf in front of a big building, the only hut sitting on the floor, stopped them with an upraised hand.

"Cada nurun taka, you need permission."

Doroon rubbed his ears. What had just happened? One second, the Elf had been speaking it's own language, the next he heard it speak flawless Adorian.

"We have permission. This is the son of Chaos."

"Go in."

Doroon cut into the conversation. "Wait, son of Chaos? I'm an orphan. I was raised in the small village at the bottom of the mountain," he said with a nervous laugh. "I don't think I'm who you're looking for..."

The elves stared at him, before one of them spoke, saying, "You speak Elven?"

"No, why?"

"This is undeniable proof. We must have him regulate the Chaos of the World immedietly."

"What?"

"Just go inside. Chief Takanaka is waiting."

Doroon didn't have a choice in the matter, as he and Lune were almost shoved through the opening. The building was unremarkable, just wood and a small desk in the middle. At it sat an elderly looking Snow Elf, who looked up.

"Have you brought him to me? The salvation of the world?"