The History of Kiryn

Inactive Account

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry about double posting. *Remembers when he had 4 posts in a row on his history topic* I'm sure that you'll be fine. Interesting stuff.

Curses... third time I've had to rewrite this because of computer issues. Here goes for the next installment:

The angle of Kiryn's fall was an unfortunate one so she saw the first few branches coming towards her as if to welcome her back to the ground. Unconsciously she shut her eyes before feeling the first few impacts. A branch snapped her collarbone and she had passed out from pain before she hit the ground.

The next information that crossed her nerves told Kiryn that she was on a stretcher somewhere, surrounded by people talking so loudly that it was painful. She cracked her eyes open, but the light streaming in seemed so intense that she shut them again. Before she passed out again, she heard fragments of conversation: "don't know where--" "--one of theirs?" "--would have taken her--" "our wind-mage uniform tunic--" "--sniper?" "--sword." "out of here--head injury--bones--"

Kiryn awoke in a room in a mansion. She had no memory of having been in a mansion before, but somehow she knew that she was in one. She struggled to sit up, noting that her broken bones had been healed. There was a bandage around her head, but that too felt almost entirely well. She was dressed in a clean nightgown, and her regular clothes, as well as her newfound weapons, were nowhere to be seen. Getting up slowly, she surveyed the room. There was a closet in the corner; she opened it, hoping to find clothes. There were a few dresses in the overdone style of the nobles. A chest of drawers next to the closet contained a slightly more practical dress meant for riding and some leggings to be worn under it, but no tunic and pants were to be found. With a sigh Kiryn donned the riding-dress, dug a pair of soft gray leather boots out of the closet, and pulled them on. She tied her hair back with a spare scarf she found. Then she started for the door.

Just before Kiryn reached the door, it opened. A serving-woman looked into the room, surprised. "You're up?" she asked uselessly. "Obviously," said Kiryn. "Where am I and what am I doing here?"

"Tanas Estates, though the duke's gone, miss," the woman replied. "The soldiers been using the house as an 'ospital. They don't know where you came from--said you fell from the sky."

"I did," Kiryn confirmed. "Where are my regular clothes?"

"Oh, we got rid of those," the woman said. "We don't know if you were runnin' away or what, but you'd best wear proper clothes. You're not a mage and you're not a knight, so you'd best dress respectably."

Kiryn had the sudden suspicion that she was not going to like it here. "So what's going to happen now?" she asked.

"Oh, we'll hire you as a servant of the house. They'll have to choose a new duke, and he'll need servants. We'll be teachin' you all you need to know."

"I'm nobody's servant," Kiryn snapped. She didn't know where this sudden vehemence had come from, but it seemed familiar. "Just give me my clothes and I'll leave."

"You've got to pay for your treatment!" the servant insisted. "You can't just let them use a staff halfway up healing you and then leave!"

"I'm thankful for the healing. But I'm not staying here."

"You watch your mouth, missy--"

But Kiryn was not listening; she had run off down the hall. The maid yelled, and some guards came running, closing off the ends of the hall. Kiryn was a captive... so they thought. She, however, saw another exit.

Throwing her arms over her face to protect it, Kiryn threw herself through the thin glass window nearest her...into thin air.

Ooo. I like this. It's really interesting. It's like a story of a princess. Sort of. Not that I read princess stories often as a kid......I was to busy watching football. And gladiator movies.....

This feels like a cool bedtime story. The kind that doesn't get you afraid of monsters in the closet. Not that I believe in those kinds of things.....too busy being...manly.....and yeah....don't tell anyone.