When is the correct time to use "whom"?

Emeraldfox

...The reason why I asked the question is so I can sound smarter than what I already am in my papers..

When we learned it, it wasn't restricted as past-tense. For example, upon answering a phone, one shouldn't say "Who do you want to speak with" but "Whom do you want to speak with." But it's one of those rules no one really cares about, including most teachers.

When we learned it, it wasn't restricted as past-tense. For example, upon answering a phone, one shouldn't say "Who do you want to speak with" but "Whom do you want to speak with." But it's one of those rules no one really cares about, including most teachers.

It's funny to me as a native english speaker that in OUR english classes they dont teach us this crap for more than a day and move onto something more important.

:D

It's funny to me as a native english speaker that in OUR english classes they dont teach us this crap for more than a day and move onto something more important.

Eh, that's what happens in a society which lives under presupposed needs. State standards moderate public schools into an almost sad state.

The only teacher I've ever had who actually cares about proper usage of 'whom' is my latin teacher when we're doing translations. Ironically, I've learned more about the English language while taking latin than I have in all of my other years of taking English combined. English as a class is pretty much a joke.

English language as a class is pretty much a joke, especially when there are actually conflicting rules various schools have created.

Actual English as a class--which is technically more a philosophical education of humanism--is quite nice.

ok this is gonna be long because my current english teacher was CRAZY about this subject when we came up to it in class... he's one of those teacher's that thinks all other teacher's suck at teaching students proper english... he's also very crazy about proper grammar... ANYWAYS... he taught me a very simple way to remember where whom can fit... simply change the sentence around and replace the who/whom with a he/him! if he fits better than it's who! if him fits better than it's whom! (same with she/her but i think he/him is better because the 'm' at the end is what really catches on when i look) for example: who are you taking to the party... now switch it around... are you taking (he/Him) to the party? ...now take 'to the party' out... Are you taking (he/him)? ...him fits the best so we go back to the beginning and... whom are you taking to the party? ...simple right? another example... who did this? ...simple switch it around and add a do and you get... did (he/him) do this? ...he fits best so 'who did this?' is fine... is that explained enough? or is it too confuzzling?? cause i had trouble with this too...

Wow, I just learned this Friday, and I still don't know. It doesn't really matter anyway. Unless they're a total jackass, no one's gonna kill you over whether or not you used 'whom' or 'who.'