Rival

Knife

There was rivalry in our math class, but it was all in good spirits. The teacher even made our final assignment a geometry competition. That was so much fun! My teams overall score came in second, just below my rival's, but I was the only one able to match the teacher's score on the 20x30 challenge.

A few years back me and this other guy despised each other just for the sake of doing so. We are pretty much exact opposites and disagreed on everything and were always trying to outdo each other. Now we have both grown up and are friends, any rivalry now is restricted to inside jokes that we somehow balance each other out or whatever.

Speaking realistically--even though I hate Gary Oak--I consider artists whose skills are better than mine (that's like, 90% people who are even remotely artistically inclined, by the way) to be rivals. Kind of. I use their work to see what I'm doing wrong, and how I can improve. If any of you guys remember Autumn Sacura, she was my main inspiration to take my art more seriously, and virtually everything I've learned about technique and skill I owe to her. It's healthy competition, and I can only stand to benefit from it.

Do you have one? I do, and he's my own cousin. He's got his own group of friends and I've got mine, so when we meet at major family events, it feels like we're split into two gangs. I don't exactly hate him, but I have the need to outdo whatever he does and vice versa. Same age (I'm slightly older), same video game skills, and same blood. He is truly my rival. Having a rival can be a great thing, turning jealousy into motivation.

How about you?

That sounds kinda cool, I don't have one though :( .

I sorta do. One is my sister, but that's just because I'm older, so I don't want to get laughed at for being served by a younger girl. I try not to care, but it's hard.

The other would be my friends. I try to beat them at various video games all the time. I'm not as good as they are most of the time, so that's a big goal of mine.

I don't really have any rival. As a younger boy, I found myself trying to outdo my cousin in schoolwork, but I quickly found that to be a useless endeavor. He absorbed information like a sponge, and could relay something he'd seen passingly years in the past with startling clarity. Remember all those movie and game ads and whatnot, with images that flash for fractions of a second just to get you interested? Yeah, he remembers each one, so showing him a trailer that is not absolutely vague on events can often serve to ruin the entire experience for him. As such, and because he didn't become lazy like myself and instead a model student, I decided that I might as well be trying to outdo Usain Bolt in a footrace.

Barring a few others I know, there is not any real incentive for intellectual competition. I'm usually informed enough that I'm seen as "the smart guy" (and I honestly stress the quotes) in most situations or groups, but it feels pretty hollow. In fact, I'm usually the one that feels jealous of others' knowledge. I want to know a lot more, to be capable of learning and holding a vast amount of information, to know something thoroughly enough to write books about it, but I know that it'll never happen for me, because of a combination of my basic attitude and the way I'm wired. I often learn at a good pace, and can memorize information well enough, but remembering large amounts of data is like trying to keep water in a sieve. More than being a rival to my cousin, I envy him for being capable of learning some form of math and being capable of remembering all of it for the rest of his life, when I think of myself as above average in mathematical skills and I have to review between each course even information I'd just previously learned.

So I don't have a rival, and I suppose it's better that way; I have a habit of taking the path of least resistance over setting a peg I know I'm not going to bother trying to top later on down the line. In other words, I would probably be a terrible rival anyways.

I don't really have any rival. As a younger boy, I found myself trying to outdo my cousin in schoolwork, but I quickly found that to be a useless endeavor. He absorbed information like a sponge, and could relay something he'd seen passingly years in the past with startling clarity. Remember all those movie and game ads and whatnot, with images that flash for fractions of a second just to get you interested? Yeah, he remembers each one, so showing him a trailer that is not absolutely vague on events can often serve to ruin the entire experience for him. As such, and because he didn't become lazy like myself and instead a model student, I decided that I might as well be trying to outdo Usain Bolt in a footrace.

Barring a few others I know, there is not any real incentive for intellectual competition. I'm usually informed enough that I'm seen as "the smart guy" (and I honestly stress the quotes) in most situations or groups, but it feels pretty hollow. In fact, I'm usually the one that feels jealous of others' knowledge. I want to know a lot more, to be capable of learning and holding a vast amount of information, to know something thoroughly enough to write books about it, but I know that it'll never happen for me, because of a combination of my basic attitude and the way I'm wired. I often learn at a good pace, and can memorize information well enough, but remembering large amounts of data is like trying to keep water in a sieve. More than being a rival to my cousin, I envy him for being capable of learning some form of math and being capable of remembering all of it for the rest of his life, when I think of myself as above average in mathematical skills and I have to review between each course even information I'd just previously learned.

So I don't have a rival, and I suppose it's better that way; I have a habit of taking the path of least resistance over setting a peg I know I'm not going to bother trying to top later on down the line. In other words, I would probably be a terrible rival anyways.

You seem quite similar to me :o!

But a rival applies to more than just intellectual achievements. I strive to outdo Masu in basically everything. Popularity, games, just about anything we can compete in.