1-up review...oh dear...

This is what. The 3rd published review I've posted...I should stop punishing myself :(

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172742&p=39

I don't know what to say, the entire review just falls apart at the end and the tagline. The hardcore and casual BS is probably my least favourite thing the press have picked up on aside from "waggle" and "wiimote" (its Wii Remote you lazy jerks).

First time I read the review I got to here:

however seasoned veterans of the series will find the game far too easy compared to previous installments. Most strategies can eventually be thrown out the window, as your team can quickly become overpowered.

What do you think. I think GTFO normal mode and play some hard but then...

Even if you choose to ignore these new features and start on a very hard difficulty, the game is only mildly challenging. For long time fans, Shadow Dragon will feel like a watered down remake.

Right :lol: The fact its harder than the Famicom version (the Famicom had a lot of issues) which it is a remake of clearly makes it watered down.

Of course the review leaves me wondering what this "hardcore strategy game" I should be looking for might actually be. From the bottom of my heart I hope this isn't it...

It could just be 1up being full of fecal matter, or they used General Zag. H5 really is only mildly challenging if you abuse the piss out of it, which is probably what the reviewer did.

But we shall see, but we shall see. If I want H5 untouched I can just play the E or J version anyway so I don't really care :/

Also, to be fair, the game does kind of encourage you to play NM since then you get the full story [And easily the best written part of it] and two extra units, so I do feel you have to hammer NM being overly piss easy SOMEWHAT...

Edited by Sweet Tooth

Who the hell are you and what have you done with the REAL Chainy?

I mean, after years of battling people who "abuse" the game by using General Zag, you're suddenly advocating it? >_>

Edited by Sweet Tooth

We can also make the game harder for ourselves if we wish.

Ex: Using the crappiest characters with class swap. Suddenly Abuse becomes *required*.

Exactly! Hell I do this in other games besides fire emblem as well. Like limiting myself to using the weakest equipment and such.

I mean, after years of battling people who "abuse" the game by using General Zag, you're suddenly advocating it? >_>
Oh no, I don't advocate it.

I'm talking aobut if you're using a team of Myrmidon Wrys, Cavalier Gordon, Sniper Jagen, weaponless Marth, Dark Mage Doga, and Pegasus Knight Sheeda, that things like Forging and Arena abuse will actually become required to beat the game.

Something tells me all the abuse in the world isn't going to make Weaponless Marth a viable unit ever.

Forging isn't really abuse, btw

Edited by Sweet Tooth

I hate reviewers these days :angry:

Thank you :P

In the reviewer's defense: review deadlines are usually very strict and reviewers only rarely get enough time to fully explore a game. That could explain some of those weird remarks. On the other hand, he did make some uneducated guesses and that's never good. If you don't know something for certain it is better to keep it vague.

Edited by Tamara

I bet they didn't even touch H5. I think they went with like H2 at best and figured the boosts to the higher modes were mild. Something tells me if they touched it, they probably wouldn't have gotten far...

I like how they bash the story then go on to say it feels like a watered down remake. The trading function alone makes this leagues ahead of the original. Indeed, good comparison with Grimoire of the rift, AKA The neverending story of unexcitement. I couldn't even force myself to finish that game. Besides, how many people play a game for the story anyways? It isn't like the whole series has been winning awards for it.

Then the icing on the cake is how they act like they know what the original was like. Did they just randomly decide to just emulate FE1 first? If they did, I HOPE that isn't what they think the "hardcore fans" want.

Then let's see...What are their reviews for the other games in the series? I wonder if they glorify FE10's battle save function. If they do, they've no right to bash the simple save function, which only really reduces the time of doing the same thing over again when you mulligan a chapter.

Reclassing makes teh game easy? Yeah, because using two clearly overpowered on complete purpose units makes the game suddenly easy. But that's just 2! How many have been in the other games that make it a complete joke? 2 in comparison is a nice move forward. Even then, it seemed they were overpowered on purpose. If anything, reclassing makes the game more fair for other characters. It just HAPPENED to benefit two people to overpowering levels.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't these "replacement characters" only slightly better or completely worse than the other options you have?

Bash this game for difficulty, then kiss Grimoire of the Rift's ass, you'd have to be braindead to find that game hard at all. Their reclassing makes the game a joke too! Lol, Seeq Ranger and Human Seer. Even without these two, the game is a walk in the park. Not to mention how boring it is. Talk about taking a long time to get nothing done. It's better than it's predecesors at least...

This review just turns and eats itself. It's like the writer couldn't make his mind up and so he just decided the problem was hardcore fans wouldn't like it. He never mentions WHY we wouldn't like it. He never even talks about WHAT makes the harder difficulties mildly challenging. Is it the forges? How strong are the characters exactly? Are certain classes overpowered? What is H5 like exactly? Instead he just says it's mildly challenging and throws it off. We can't tell it's mildly challenging just because you said so. Give us reasons, go into detail about it. The review is so vague, it doesn't explain anything aside from how saves and reclassing generally works, that normal gets 4 more chapters and how the gaidens work. It's as if he didn't touch anything aside from normal mode and H1 or 2.

I'd expect this from IGN, who bashed RD (a game that had it's faults as it is) for it's lack of use of the wii remote gimmick (the wii remote being so bad a controller, it's hilarious) and the inability to use Miis. Yet they gave this an 8.5! I haven't read their reasons as to why, but it's still surprising considering it isn't Halo or a Square Enix game.

This is why I no longer read online reviews...or reviews in general.

And of course, I fail at being brief once again.

Reclassing makes teh game easy? Yeah, because using two clearly overpowered on complete purpose units makes the game suddenly easy. But that's just 2! How many have been in the other games that make it a complete joke? 2 in comparison is a nice move forward. Even then, it seemed they were overpowered on purpose. If anything, reclassing makes the game more fair for other characters. It just HAPPENED to benefit two people to overpowering levels.
The only reason reclass breaks these two characters is because they're vastly overpowered even without it. The system itself is actually very balanced.

The only reason reclass breaks these two characters is because they're vastly overpowered even without it. The system itself is actually very balanced.

That's my point, they seem so much more powerful than the others as it is, it seems almost purposeful. Besides, they aren't too powerful as horsemen, just they're vastly greater as generals and heroes. On the other hand, it makes more characters viable while not overpowering some of the stronger units. Aside from those 2...

Edited by Grandjackal

They still have too much Def growth, and even as Horsemen are going to be better tanks than most characters in the game after leveling up.

True, but not much you can do with eh strength, swords and bows, right?

They're still powerful, just not as gamebreaking. If that means anything.

Would I be correct in assuming that Nintendo stripped H5 mode out of the North American version for no reason whatsoever?

We don't have any idea if that's true or the reviewer was just full of Kurt Cobain's old band before Nirvana. Currently speculation leads to the reviewer being crummy, but no conformation yet.

Even if a player's strategy turns out to be a costly one that leaves them with a fraction of their troops, Shadow Dragon includes "gaiden chapters", a form of welfare which provide powerful replacement characters and equipment.

Lol

The first gaiden chapter, the prologue, is accessed by starting the game on normal (the lowest difficulty setting) and includes a tutorial, four extra fights to boost levels from, and two hidden characters that are not otherwise accessible. While this is designed to make the player more powerful, it also has the possibility of backfiring. Because characters can still die during the prologue, the player can possibly arrive at the first chapter without certain characters they would have on other difficulties (in fact, to complete the final part of the prologue, the player must willfully kill off one of their party members).

Lol

Even if you choose to ignore these new features and start on a very hard difficulty, the game is only mildly challenging.

... Wonder if H5 got watered down.