New Rules and Warning System

Jyosua

3. In the Creative board, posts are required to expound on the reasons for why something is good, or not good in your opinion. In other words, if you want to say someone did a good job, you must tell them the specific reasons why.

Thank God, Princess Kilvas' art topic has been rescued! This is something that's needed to have been around for a while. There were way too many +1 posts in the Creative board.

Edited by Lachesis

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As such, we have decided to refine our guidelines into a well defined set of rules, that is mandatory to read. At the bottom, is the new set of warning guidelines. You'll notice that the warning guidelines are rather vague. This is intentional. They are guidelines for us to follow, however, we kept them nonrestrictive, so that we may do things on a case by case basis. This is especially important to those of you with exceedingly high warn levels already.

This is very vague. I want to know, are they actually rules or are they still guidelines?

The Rules are actual rules while the warning system is a guideline for the staff to follow. They will be given out at our discretion on a case by case basis.

The latter. We really don't care if you double or even triple post in the FftF, but I can't let it get out of hand, to the point where we have entire pages filled with one person's posts.

I knew I should have spammed to 2000 when I had the chance.

Understood mein commandant.

Edited by Metal Rabbit

Oh wow, I lucked out on the sig height lol.

6. Don't take everything too seriously; the Internet is not serious business. That said, use common sense to avoid making jokes which are clearly out of place.

I agree with this for obvious reasons. Thank you admins.

Edited by Reimi Saionji

It's...so beautiful! I love it. Wonderful job, guys! *Claps*

A Forum having a loose set of rules, like we did before, is good, but it is so easy to be abused by low quality members. That wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'm pretty guilty of abusing the former rules/guidelines. Anyway, once more, good job!

Edited by Matthew O'Connell

I mean honestly is proper punctuation really necessary, ie periods mostly
You might want to worry about grammar and spelling more than that, champ. /serious non-flaming post\

I have one question:

4. Prejudicial comments will not be tolerated under any circumstances.

What are you generally considering a "prejudicial comment?"

I personally understand it as meaning anything that is detrimental or unfavorable towards a person/group of people/etc. I suppose it might also qualify under flaming as well, but it largely depends on the individual case.

I'm impressed by this improvement, honestly. Though I do have a question.

I assume you meant that you shouldn't be excessively swearing, but what exactly, in your opinion, is excessively swearing?

Basically, use discretion. Something like, "Fuck fuck fuck hi fuck fuck fuck," isn't going to work. An occasional one here and there is fine, but entire sentences/paragraphs filled with them are pushing the line.

Not if I can help it. :P

Spam much? This IS an Announcements topic, you know.

Thank God, Princess Kilvas' art topic has been rescued! This is something that's needed to have been around for a while. There were way too many +1 posts in the Creative board.

Both Creative and ROM Hacking will be getting special "addendums" in order to further address concerns and such which are limited only to those two boards (given their nature as boards requiring more critique and such over the other boards).

I mean honestly is proper punctuation really necessary, ie periods mostly

Yes, because this isn't a chat room. A small slip-up here and there won't cause the noose to drop or anything, but it helps if people can coherently read what someone wrote. And, in order to facilitate that, proper grammar definitely helps.

You might want to worry about grammar and spelling more than that, champ. /serious non-flaming post\

Mini-modding much? I'll let it slide this time, since the new rules were just posted.

I personally understand it as meaning anything that is detrimental or unfavorable towards a person/group of people/etc. I suppose it might also qualify under flaming as well, but it largely depends on the individual case.

Basically, use discretion. Something like, "Fuck fuck fuck hi fuck fuck fuck," isn't going to work. An occasional one here and there is fine, but entire sentences/paragraphs filled with them are pushing the line.

Spam much? This IS an Announcements topic, you know.

Both Creative and ROM Hacking will be getting special "addendums" in order to further address concerns and such which are limited only to those two boards (given their nature as boards requiring more critique and such over the other boards).

Yes, because this isn't a chat room. A small slip-up here and there won't cause the noose to drop or anything, but it helps if people can coherently read what someone wrote. And, in order to facilitate that, proper grammar definitely helps.

Mini-modding much? I'll let it slide this time, since the new rules were just posted.

And what's wrong with giving another member advice?

Edited by Len

And what's wrong with giving another member advise?

Because "advice" equates to mini-modding nearly 99% of the time. True "advice" is something more critical in manner. Something like, "Jimmy, I think you should man up, walk over there, and ask that girl out," is advice. Saying something like, "You should add more content to your posts so that the mods don't jump on you," is not. That's mini-modding, not giving "advice." And, if you have further problems with staff actions, take it to PM instead of posting it here. My PM box is always open.

Though speaking of that, I should add this as well:

@Doom_Dragon_103 - If you have "problems" with a rule, take it to PM. As Jyo said, this isn't a thread for debate.

Would mocking someones avatar and signature be consider flame?

I can save Jyo a minute on this one I'm sure, unless SF has some unique definition of flaming.

No. To flame words must be used.

Sorry, bad luck there chum.

E:

Also, good to see that the rules are becoming more than a loose fitting set ill-enforced notions. Although I would love to see post counts abolished. Best way to get rid of spam.

Edited by Black Knight

I can save Jyo a minute on this one I'm sure, unless SF has some unique definition of flaming.

No. To flame words must be used.

Sorry, bad luck there chum.

E:

Also, good to see that the rules are becoming more than a loose fitting set ill-enforced notions. Although I would love to see post counts abolished. Best way to get rid of spam.

Post counts being abolished would be good. Some people would still spam, some would bitch, but it would be a good idea.

Post counts being abolished would be good. Some people would still spam, some would bitch, but it would be a good idea.

Abolished postcounts are boring.

Abolished postcounts are boring.

How? I understand the idea of Post Count, and while it is novel in its own way, I fail to see how it makes things less fun. Also, it would get rid of the fucking annoying ability of Royals/Herons to close their own topics and the like, which I personally REALLY REALLY HATE. Post Count is a horrible way of deciding who should get certain powers.

I'm sorry to inform you, but this topic isn't about what features of the forum you don't like.

Would mocking someones avatar and signature be consider flame?

Hee hee, I see where you're going with that.

Anyway, I still disagree with the whole macro business--I think it's counterproductive--but whatevs, I agree with ninety percent of this.

Dare I say it reminds me of FESS's policies.

How? I understand the idea of Post Count, and while it is novel in its own way, I fail to see how it makes things less fun. Also, it would get rid of the fucking annoying ability of Royals/Herons to close their own topics and the like, which I personally REALLY REALLY HATE. Post Count is a horrible way of deciding who should get certain powers.

Except that people closing their topics is a nifty power to have. You can use it to keep a flame war from starting, and you don't need to bother a moderater to close it for you.

Is it even really possible to get rid of postcounts anyway?

It's really not worth the trouble if you ask me. Post count doesn't really mean anything other than gaining those powers, which anyone can get eventually, and is also a sort of "Thank you" for spending all your time here, rather than doing something productive. Like curing a disease. Or something.

For the record, it is. It was done at FESS, even when they used Invision as the board software.

It's really not worth the trouble if you ask me. Post count doesn't really mean anything other than gaining those powers, which anyone can get eventually, and is also a sort of "Thank you" for spending all your time here, rather than doing something productive. Like curing a disease. Or something.

As TheEnd said, it's possible, and quite easy I might add. But in my opinion it adds a bit of fun to have a post count, so I'm leaving them.

As TheEnd said, it's possible, and quite easy I might add. But in my opinion it adds a bit of fun to have a post count, so I'm leaving them.

I agree with that. Plus it adds a sense of accomplishment, to make you think you're actually doing something while you're here.

I don't think a post count should be a sense of accomplishment. :P Look at mine, aside from Vincent, I've been on these forums the longest.

Except that people closing their topics is a nifty power to have. You can use it to keep a flame war from starting, and you don't need to bother a moderater to close it for you.

Did you read what I said? I said that giving people powers because of their post count is a REALLY bad way of giving them powers. I have not been proven wrong. Most people I have seen who actually use their Post Count granted powers misuse them.