Member locking of threads in the Written Works forum.

Before I begin, let me lay out the givens:

The function of a forum is discussion. Sometimes members may post bizarre news stories, pose interesting questions, choose to display their artistic or written works for others to see and critique, or many other imaginative and creative topics of discussion. The common thread here is not what members post in their opening comments, but the dialogue which emerges after that first post, where members may discuss the topic, give feedback on any posted works, and in general carry out community interaction. The word "forum" describes the open public spaces in ancient roman cities where townspeople would gather to chat, hold meetings, have political debates, and interact in general. Therefore, interaction must be encouraged.

But having a conversation with a person whose mouth is taped shut usually ends up being a fruitless process. In order to qualify as a discussion or dialogue, a minimum of two people must participate (Di-, Greek prefix for two). A discussion board where only one person may speak is not a forum at all.

Now, it is through the above paradigm that I have discovered a logical fallacy within the written works forum of this website. Members here appear to have the ability to post their works and immediately close their topics, sealing off any further input and rejecting all opportunities for discussion, feedback, compliments, or criticisms. This action is incongruous with the explicit purpose of a forum [see above].

Besides preventing discussion, the proliferous rate at which some writers post their stories and immediately close off discussion has actually begun to push other writer's works off the main page, making the written works published by members who invite feedback increasingly scarce. It is truly a shame that those the members who publish their works in order to encourage conversation are being displaced by those who deny it.

I implore the powers that be on this forum to put an end to this. Members should only post written or artistic works on this website when they wish them to be discussed. Those who post their works but forbid feedback are exploiting this website as a soap box to preach to a captive audience. We don't need these cheap marketing ploys, we have enough of that around here with ad-sense. What we need is a forum.

While I'm not sure of the exact specifics of what will be done yet, Creative (as a whole) and ROM Hacking will be getting specialized "Rules" topics (if you could call them that) that are extensions of the main forum rules. This will likely be one of the things that is covered in the new topic(s). As a proponent of constructive criticism (being a (former) spriter will do that), I'm largely not a fan of posting works just for the glory of posting them (and damning critique under banners such as "I never fix anything once I've done it" or "I don't want comments" in the process). Needless to say, it'll be something that goes under consideration.

(And, I'd say that I already made note of this in the Announcements topic, but I did post it shortly before you posted this topic (and, given the length of this, it's likely that you were typing this before I started to post my response where I mentioned it). As such, no problems with having the topic.)

Well, some people use the power, but don't abuse. So, while you may be fixing that problem, it will punish those who don't abuse their power as well.

Not really. I can think of no acceptable reason why anyone should need to close their feedback topic (or all-inclusive topic if they only have one). If they've stopped working on that project, then just let the topic die. If they're going on vacation and don't want to have to read a wall of replies when they get back, then too bad. The only, ONLY reason a (project) topic should need closed is if it's a story that was completely finished. (Even then, it's not really necessary, except to prevent the thread from accidentally being posted in, as the thread could naturally die anyway.) Well, and if someone necroposts in the topic. That's grounds for closure by the staff anyway.

Now, it is through the above paradigm that I have discovered a logical fallacy within the written works forum of this website. Members here appear to have the ability to post their works and immediately close their topics, sealing off any further input and rejecting all opportunities for discussion, feedback, compliments, or criticisms. This action is incongruous with the explicit purpose of a forum [see above].

Besides preventing discussion, the proliferous rate at which some writers post their stories and immediately close off discussion has actually begun to push other writer's works off the main page, making the written works published by members who invite feedback increasingly scarce. It is truly a shame that those the members who publish their works in order to encourage conversation are being displaced by those who deny it.

I implore the powers that be on this forum to put an end to this. Members should only post written or artistic works on this website when they wish them to be discussed. Those who post their works but forbid feedback are exploiting this website as a soap box to preach to a captive audience. We don't need these cheap marketing ploys, we have enough of that around here with ad-sense. What we need is a forum.

Lemme guess, you made this topic because of me, mostly, right? *Is not surprised and rolls eyes*

Although you have your views on the matter, I have my own.

So, I'll be brief and avoid all the blah blah blah bullcrap, I don't like yapping about stuff!

Anyway, if I have been closing my story topic it is because I have tried to be civil with it here. I have left my stories open and though I said I did not want feedback there, people would still be asses and go and post there. Now that annoyed me because I explicitly said I did not want any feedback there. It just seemed to me that members here wanted nothing more than to bug me. Moreover, there were no rules that said anything against me doing so, so yeah. I thought it would be for the best to add to the story and then close it, to avoid this trouble with you people. Apparently there is one or more here who just hate me too much to bring such petitions up.

As to the getting feedback part, I had no problem with that when I came here. But when it started getting out of hand and people just went in there to criticize with their trolling and their rather "unfriendly tones" I decided that it would be best if I just did not make a feedback topic and avoid trouble.

Anything else, you wanna petition, mister Black Knight?

Until rules are set, and believe me, I have been waiting for them with patience, there is nothing you can do, BK.

--Edit--

How am I exploiting this website as you say? I don't wish to captivate any kind of audience. I come and be part of the forum, offering what I can. Nobody is forced to read the stories I post, I have said this over and over. I don't even know why you are coming with all this crap, you didn't even give a damn about me or my stories. Was it because of the discussion we had in FFTF? If so, *laughs* I knew it, you people tend to fire but do not take it well when someone fires off back at you, huh?

And if you really believe that we need a forum, start acting like a damn good member of it.

Edited by ((Räd Quetz))

Is there any reason you can't have a topic for your story AND a seperate topic for critisism?

Besides, don't you have to be a royal or a heron or someting to close your own threads? I don't think there are enough of them that do written works to warrent special rules.

EDIT: Gosh darnit, you even get two seperate sub-forums for it!

Edited by Navarre

Is there any reason you can't have a topic for your story AND a seperate topic for critisism?

Besides, don't you have to be a royal or a heron or someting to close your own threads? I don't think there are enough of them that do written works to warrent special rules.

Lol. I tried that before as I said in my post. It did not work and so from there on I decided to just avoid trouble completely and not have a feedback topic for the story, it was not required, there was no rule that said so.

And I think my status atm is Heron, which allows someone to close and open their own topics.

Sidenote: I have not been abusing this feature, as all I wanted to do was avoid trouble.

And there will be new rules for that area, so I am waiting for them. Once those rules are applied, I am sure to follow them to the letter but I hope others will too. ^^

Lemme guess, you made this topic because of me, mostly, right? *Is not surprised and rolls eyes*

Don't flatter yourself

So, I'll be brief and avoid all the blah blah blah bullcrap, I don't like yapping about stuff!

Ironic

people would still be asses and go and post there.

Imagine that! People posting on a forum! If I had cared enough to ban you from this topic, would you seriously have repressed the urge to post here? Considering you couldn't even stay out of FFtF for a week, no precedent exists to show you having the same restraint as you now wish upon others.

Now that annoyed me because I explicitly said I did not want any feedback there.

Get a livejournal then. Forum websites are not meant to be anyones' personal bulletin board.

there were no rules that said anything against me doing so, so yeah. I thought it would be for the best to add to the story and then close it, to avoid this trouble with you people.

It was never claimed that the actions I specified in the OP broke the rules. On the contrary, you'll find the original complaint of this thread was directed towards the fact that these actions weren't against the rules. I requested rules be made.

Apparently there is one or more here who just hate me too much to bring such petitions up.

You use hate as a weapon to justify yourself, rather realize the truth that no one really gives a wooden nickle about you and can't be bothered to even think of you outside of responding to your inane posts for their own Schadenfreude derived satisfaction (and I'm feeling it). You choose claim that people "hate" you because it implies they're the one's in the wrong, allowing you to justify your position and never adjust your attitude. This allows you to view the world around you as a tormentor created only to annoy you. It's called paranoia syndrome, and you need help. Rest easy. No one hates you. No one even cares about you.

As to the getting feedback part, I had no problem with that when I came here. But when it started getting out of hand and people just went in there to criticize with their trolling and their rather "unfriendly tones" I decided that it would be best if I just did not make a feedback topic and avoid trouble.

The point of that forum is to get feedback, mostly to improve ones work (no matter how much you ever work on something, it can always use improvement). If you have no intention of modifying the work, or find that the forum is too harsh and isn't helping you, then there is no reason for you to post there.

Until rules are set, and believe me, I have been waiting for them with patience, there is nothing you can do, BK.

At least I know which way this is rolling <3

How am I exploiting this website as you say? I don't wish to captivate any kind of audience. I come and be part of the forum, offering what I can. Nobody is forced to read the stories I post, I have said this over and over. I don't even know why you are coming with all this crap, you didn't even give a damn about me or my stories. Was it because of the discussion we had in FFTF? If so, *laughs* I knew it, you people tend to fire but do not take it well when someone fires off back at you, huh?

Again, you assume this is about you.

No, actually, what you do is you make this about you. It's how you undermine topics, you make everything personal. This is about an institutionalized flaw in the writing section, one that has been exploited by members other than yourself. I would critique it whether you abused it or not (and trust me, you're abusing it). But you seek to make this topic another "Oh the world hates me" thread, which everyone else will jump on because they have nothing better to do (not because they actually hate you), and further vindicate yourself (in your eyes) as the hapless hero who is the victim of such mean mean bullies, reinforcing this self-ingratiating notion that everyone is thinking about you and how to make you miserable.

And if you really believe that we need a forum, start acting like a damn good member of it.

Let he who is without sin... well you'd be the one to know the rest right?

Oh, and just for fun, don't respond in this topic ever again. I don't want your feedback. If you refrain, then I take back everything I said: everyone can keep the ability to lock their threads, for all I care.

Let's see how good you are at resisting.

Edited by Black Knight

I'm closing this not because I don't agree (I do) but because I can't see it going anywhere good at the moment. Be assured that this will not go ignored, though. Now that the new forum rules are in place, rules for the Creative board will be created fairly soon as well, as Lord Glenn already stated.

If you have a legitimate reason for it to be re-opened, I'd be more than happy to hear why in a PM.