College acceptances approacheth...

Inactive Account

How are you feeling as you wait for your college letters?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. (topic)

• AAAAGGHHH wha-wha-whatifi... don't get in anywhere... waa... -HYSTERIA-
    • Well, I hope I got into my top choices.
    • Meh, I know I have to have gotten in somewhere.
    • Early decision! Suckers.
    • Hm, I can remember those...
    • This is gonna be me in the future...

Mine came in last year for a loser community college. I'm still thinking of what four-year schools I should go to. One of them is "Berkly School of Music" for "Film Scoring" and "Orchestra". Since however the music industry is hard to break into, I do have a back-up just in case. I'm taking a Computer Technology course gettin' a major in that area.

Me: 14 Mar, 20 Mar, 1 Apr (2), 15 Apr(2)

The schools that send out their letters on April Fools day are such teases.

This was me last year, glad it's all over with. I wish you all the best. Are you finding out about any of your admissions online, or are you going old fashioned and waiting for the letters?

6 out of 10 accepted me so far. The rest of the 4, I'm still waiting for their respones. :[

lol, I ended up being 6 for 18, so you've already beat me :p. For a while it was a lot lower, most of my acceptances were the last ones to arrive (you can imagine what I was feeling like in the interim).

Edited by Black Knight

Accepted into three so far, though I only applied to four schools. Not the smartest thing to do but I don't really have interest out of state.

Edited by Unoriginal

I've been accepted everywhere I've heard from so far, two schools I didn't do early admissions on because they were binding, and I'm not about to dole out money if I'm going to get a larger merit scholarship at another school for it. April 1st, for both of them; I'm hoping I don't get them that day.

This was me last year, glad it's all over with. I wish you all the best. Are you finding out about any of your admissions online, or are you going old fashioned and waiting for the letters?

Stanford will let me know online; otherwise it'll be mailed/I don't know how they'll tell me. I guess I'll get down some dates so I have something to panic about. :D

Stanford will let me know online; otherwise it'll be mailed/I don't know how they'll tell me. I guess I'll get down some dates so I have something to panic about. :D

I only ask because you can sometimes get the online responses early. It was actually Stanford who emailed my my acceptance 2/3 of the way through March (It also happened to be midnight when I checked my email, so of course I had to wake up the whole house.)

Thought I'd give you a headsup: check your email before your parents go to bed :D

Edited by Black Knight

I originally went to apply at ITT Tech, but when I found up their crap don't transfer to other colleges, I applied to a more local college and easily got in (and it is completely free to me anyhow). ITT Tech kept calling me for at least a month trying to get to me join... Clearly shows how awesome I am since they wanted me to make their school look good. That was years ago now, though.

Edited by Bohemund

The worst bit about getting things on April Fool's day is I know that my friend, my dad, or my sister will raid the mailbox in order to make me think my letter's not there.

Hopefully nobody in my family is mean enough to tell me I got in to somewhere I didn't, or vice versa.

I originally went to apply at ITT Tech, but when I found up their crap don't transfer to other colleges, I applied to a more local college and easily got in (and it is completely free to me anyhow). ITT Tech kept calling me for at least a month trying to get to me join... Clearly shows how awesome I am since they wanted me to make their school look good. That was years ago now, though.

Schools like ITT Tech are a scum. Seriously, if the advise their school every day during the morning, you know it's not a good school to go to.

I only ask because you can sometimes get the online responses early. It was actually Stanford who emailed my my acceptance 2/3 of the way through March (It also happened to be midnight when I checked my email, so of course I had to wake up the whole house.)

Thought I'd give you a headsup: check your email before your parents go to bed :D

This only makes your case more interesting. You were accepted to Stanford and attend Harvard, but you got rejected by 12 schools? Last-minute apps or something?

Dammit, my nigg** side is come back.

Schools like ITT Tech are a scum. Seriously, if the advise their school every day during the morning, you know it's not a good school to go to.
Reword that please.

Schools like ITT Tech are a scam. Seriously, if they advertise their school every day during the morning talking about "GET YOUR DEGREE IN LESS THAN 18 MONTHS!!!" , you know it's not a good school to go to.

This only makes your case more interesting. You were accepted to Stanford and attend Harvard, but you got rejected by 12 schools? Last-minute apps or something?

No, just a highly risky application that either they would absolutly love or reject me outright for.

Basically consisted of

- Low SATs for a top tier school (seriously, I have yet to meet anyone here that got a lower score than me :D )

- Despite a perfect GPA, my high school offered very few rigorous courses (max 5 APs/honors for all of high school), and compared to most other applicants who have taken APs for every class since sophomore year, I didn't stand out too much.

- Extremely risky essay: not going to lie, it was fucking perfect, but at 2,300 words it tripled and sometimes quadrupled the word limit. As long as they didn't throw it away for blatantly exceeding the word limit, then I stood more than than a decent shot(especially considering I wrote it to be a very quick read, despite the length), and my odds were improved even better if they could appreciate the amount of ballsyness it took to send it in. I can send it in a PM if you want to read it (obviously postin' that shit in public is a bad move)

- The two things which were arguably good even by Harvard standards were my extracurriculars (lots of sports, music, student school board representative, travel, blah blah blah) and my interview, which was fantastic (although I'm told these don't actually count for much). And in terms of "hooks" (God I hate that term) I suppose coming from a poorer rural town in a small state helped a lot more than being another kid from New York or San Francisco.

I should mention that it was in reality 6 acceptances, 8 rejections, and 4 wait lists which I didn't bother to stay on considering the choices I already had. However, most of the rejections came from small liberal arts schools (Amherst, Bowdoin, Williams, etc) who highly value their matriculation yield so they can claim "95% of people accepted here enrol." If they knew I was applying to a lot of colleges it could have hurt my chances.

But yeah, I'm a weird case. Most people here only applied to a handful of schools, had higher acceptance ratios, etc. But I kind of figured the only chance I had in getting in a place like here was to be as ballsy as possible and stand out (since I didn't have much else to go on), and also play the odds by applying to as many as possible. When I look back I almost wonder if I would make such a risky move again, considering that outside of my 2 safeties it would have been so easy for the ball to roll the other way on those other 4 schools. But hey I'm here now so I guess that's all that matters. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my 4th acceptance was late news as I wasn't told I was accepted until last week, my mom just held onto the letter and forgot for two weeks. I don't get why my applications came back so quickly though, I applied pretty late compared to everyone else. Right before winter break and two more after new years.

I applied to five colleges, all of which I regarded as safeties. I was rejected from all five. However, I also applied to this tiny art school in Texas, a school I was hell-bent on going to, and got in. So I don't really care about the other five.