Texting

Dr. Tarrasque

I've never texted in my life. IMO, it's about the stupidest thing ever invented. It takes ten minutes and who knows how much money to say what could be said in one minute in a normal phone conversation.

And kids text all the time during class at my school, which drives me crazy. What is there to say? "Oh, I just learned about parts of the cell!!!!" No...

Neither me nor my parents have cell phones at all. I don't mind not having one myself, but as far as my parents not having any... Sometimes when they go out, they take a long time and I wish I could call them to make sure they're okay. I know, I'm strange in that regard but...

Actually, there are plenty of things to talk about. Generally they don't relate to class, which is the beauty of it. My classes are incredibly easy for me, so when I get bored, I pull out my phone and start chatting with my friends via text. It's not a hard concept really, it's convenient when you can't actually call someone, or don't want to waste your phone minutes just to say "Can you pick me up? or "Yes!" or "No!" or some other short message.

I use it occasionally, like o just say something along the lines of "I will be there in 20 minutes". Plus a lot of my friends have annoying music play when you call them, I also use it when i do not want others to hear what I am saying.

I have a phone which I can use to talk to a person directly with. I will send them a written message through that same device instead. I lose money.

Edited by Fox

Actually, there are plenty of things to talk about. Generally they don't relate to class, which is the beauty of it. My classes are incredibly easy for me, so when I get bored, I pull out my phone and start chatting with my friends via text. It's not a hard concept really, it's convenient when you can't actually call someone, or don't want to waste your phone minutes just to say "Can you pick me up? or "Yes!" or "No!" or some other short message.

Understandable. Not the case when people over use it though...

Texting can be good for if you're at work or school and you can't talk, so you can communicate silently

Also, it can be used for a reminder if someone needs to get a hold of you and you don't want to hear a whole message, you can just text them so when they turn on their phone, it's right there. I kinda hate to have to go through my voicemail just for a few words. I'd rather just open up my phone and read it in 2 seconds. Another good thing is that you can text more than person and attach photos and other stuff

Also, tbh, people just don't answer their phones anymore. It's the stupidest thing because pretty much everyone has a phone, but whenever I call people they never pick up. So if I leave a text, it'll be sitting there when they look at their phone. Plus, you don't have to worry about static or bad reception if your texting

You just gotta find good uses for it

Edited by CGV

I hate talking on the phone because I have a hard time hearing, sometimes. Phone conversations full of, "What? Could you repeat that? I'm so sorry, I didn't catch that" aren't any fun. Buttttt, I rarely text. My sister will text me if she needs picked up from something, and I'll text people if I don't want to be stuck on the phone for a long time. (Ever get stuck talking to someone and you couldn't wriggle your way out of it?)

Plus, text messages are like email, but faster, because you don't even have to sign in. However, I generally send short replies.

I just rarely use my phone, anyway. I don't like text messaging, but I find it convenient sometimes. I don't go to college, but if someone was texting in a class I wouldn't have a problem with it if they did so quietly. (It's their money they're spending on the class, after all, so if they don't want to pay attention, it's out of my hands and off my conscious.)

A lot of people aren't allowed to talk on their phones at work/school, anyway, so it's nice for that. /Rambles

I generally dislike actually talking on the phone so I like texting far better. My last phone spoiled me with it's full qwerty keypad so I'm making sure all subsequent phones have it too. I don't use text speak either. I like to spell everything out and use correct punctuation. I couldn't text speak if I wanted. Besides I'm far more likely to get back to you if you text me. A lot of people here say actually calling is faster but it's not for me. If given the choice I'll pick text nine times out of ten. The only reason I wouldn't is because for the person I'm trying contact, it may be cheaper to call or I need real time information.

My current phone plan has so many minutes and unlimited email, picture, and text messaging. So it's cheaper to text/email me. And as with everything in my life, things may change. So in a few years, maybe I'll like talking better XD

Edited by Leyla Garcia

I've never texted in my life. IMO, it's about the stupidest thing ever invented. It takes ten minutes and who knows how much money to say what could be said in one minute in a normal phone conversation.

As stated earlier. Texting is good for when you can't talk on the phone. Not only that, but I'm able to type up a full paragraph with correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation on a standard phone without a QWERTY keyboard in about 5 minutes or less. If you use it often enough, time is no longer an issue. As for the price, well keep reading.

I have a phone which I can use to talk to a person directly with. I will send them a written message through that same device instead. I lose money.

Actually, for people like me who are charged by the minute, yet have unlimited texts, it's cheaper for me to text someone back and forth, than it is to pay the ridiculous by-the-minute rates that I'd have to pay for the very few times I actually use my cell phone to call or receive a call.

I text on occasion, but I'm hella slow. (My parents are faster) I understand the benefits of texting, but I'd rather just make a call if at all possible. I don't see much of a point to texting back and forth if it's perfectly reasonable to call the other person up.

I text on occasion, but I'm hella slow. (My parents are faster) I understand the benefits of texting, but I'd rather just make a call if at all possible. I don't see much of a point to texting back and forth if it's perfectly reasonable to call the other person up.

You're right, if it's reasonable to, you should call someone. But there's no excuse to say there's never a reason to text, or that texting always costs more than calling someone. Those are outrageous claims that have no base.

And kids text all the time during class at my school, which drives me crazy. What is there to say? "Oh, I just learned about parts of the cell!!!!" No...

Dood dizsh klazh iz so ghey.

ya i no lyke i hav diz weerd kd n mah klazz whoz 2 hylpr.

lol i srry 4 u

ya

ogm guz wut

wut??????????????????????????????????

dah shmart kid got an anzwas rong.

lololololololol.

I use a phone with a QWERTY keyboard, but it's an old one. I got it from my dad who got it from my mom who got it from her sister. I only use a cellphone when travelling to send my parents simple messages like "Arrived safely" and "Hi, could you pick me up at 8?" I guess I could call them instead of texting, but I don't like calling in busy train cars/buses.