New Server

Jyosua

-_- some forums allow them, I'm aware it's a liability

I don't think you're listening to what people are saying. It's illegal, Vincent definitely wouldn't want to deal with the lawsuits or any of the crap. Really man, stop being stupid -_-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the ROMs issue, this new server seems to still be causing some sort of problem. This is the first time I've been able to get on today, I keep getting a "this link appears to be broken" message. Any suggestions if it happens again? I still get the subscription e-mails, so I'll still see your posts if it kicks me off again. Or have all of you been getting stuff like that too?

Patches negate this (arguably) by only containing changes of the original image. The arguably part stems from whatever was stolen in the new data--such as graphics, code, music, and whatever else one may copy-paste with no effort. Let alone modifying someone else's work and then distributing the changes publicly without their approval.

In any case, as to the ROMs ordeal, as it was said before: if you're so fucking stupid as to not be able to find ROMs on your own, you should be banned from anthing and everything related to common sense. You're little more than a small space away from not even knowing how to answer your own questions on Google, as sad as that may be.

It's great some forums don't care if ROMs are posted. Go there. Don't bitch here. Just because something exists elsewhere does not grant it the right to be everywhere.

It would be more time efficient and more civilized to answer the question "Can we post roms yet?" with something along the lines of "I doubt it because no announcement of that sort has been made made, but we'll see soon enough how an administrator responds." I would encourage people not to make aggressive accusations or inflammatory remarks anywhere on the forum. One example in this case; nothing in the originally proposed question indicates that the individual who posted it is unable to use a search engine so I'm unsure why that point is even argued.

The last time the server was moved, it was decided by the administrators that linking to ROMs would remain disallowed. As such, this recent server change will most probably have no impact on this restriction. I would be surprised if an administrator responds that ROMs are now permitted, you'd probably best not get your hopes up.

Edited by Wisrt

:/

I attempted to restart my computer, restart my browser, delete my cookies, etc. and I still couldn't get on.

So I'm forced to use a proxy.

:/

Have you got a router?

Yeah, I forgot to put that in my first post. I'm assuming by 'reset your router' you mean 'turn it on and off, unplug it and plug it back in, etc.' so I did just that, but I'm not sure if that's what 'restart your router' means.

If the above suggestions don't work, you can try going to " C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/ " and adding the following information to the bottom of the "hosts" file (which you can edit with Notepad, just don't add a file extension when you save).

66.232.105.48	www.serenesforest.net
66.232.105.48	serenesforest.net

It doesn't seem to matter that going to the IP address without appending certain information to it won't work. I did this because I've had similar problems to this with server moves and my ISP (my university) in the past.

Edit (2009.03.15):

If you're running Vista and have User Account Control enabled, you'll have to run Notepad as an administrator (right click the program and select that option) and then navigate to the aforementioned directory in order to edit the hosts file.

Edited by Wisrt

The new server has some problems... I keep getting a"this link appears to be broken!" message, and I can't get on. Oddly though, all I have to do is wait, and it lets me get back on later. Mostly it does this in the morning...

Edited by ShiningDrake

There are no problems. You need to do this in this order:

1) Turn off your router

2) Close all browsers (Make sure they're closed - you can check this via task manager)

3) Open command prompt

4) type ipconfig /flushdns

5) Restart Computer

6) if 30 seconds or more have passed, turn on your router.

This should fix it. Doing this is what fixed things for me.

advocating that people edit HOSTS to access a website rather than fixing their upstream DNS.

I've seen stupidly irresponsible before, but...

Can you briefly elaborate on what you might know to be safer workarounds? It would be helpful for me, and others who had trouble, to know what other options are available for those who have no success flushing their DNS, and cannot reset a router as a result of being on a school/university network or have a slow to update ISP. Edited by Wisrt

Can you briefly elaborate on what you might know to be safer workarounds? It would be helpful for me, and others who had trouble, to know what other options are available for those who have no success flushing their DNS, and cannot reset a router as a result of being on a school/university network or have a slow to update ISP.
Use a real DNS run by people who have at least half a clue. OpenDNS is freely available.

Edited by Blacken

Use a real DNS run by people who have at least half a clue. OpenDNS is freely available.

What?

Again, I'm on a school network. I have no other options. >_>.

What?

Again, I'm on a school network. I have no other options. >_>.

Of course you have options. Your DNS is not locked down by DHCP.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't try to correct me.

Sorry, but I appear to be having the same problem as described by others. Rather irritating.

Alright, that opendns thing seems to have help. But that in no way changes the fact that it was irritating... hardly what one would expect from a supposed improvement.

Edited by Shuuda