Arena whoring... yay or nay?

tiger the rocketship

So after beating the game, I figured I'd give it one more run through before attempting HHM.

Port of Badon level (sidequest).

We have arrived.

And after (some pretty nifty tactics might I add) dispatching all of the enemy units including Fargus' own h4x with my severely underleveled units... I stumble across the arena.

I figure I'd raise my Raven and Lucius levels here just so I can get a little bit of an edge in the upcoming chapters. Especially for lucius.

However, I then end up getting my Oswin to 20/2 and I'm now contemplating promoting either my Guy/Raven with the Hero Crest received from the last mission.

Yes, I have butchered my tactician ratings with the turns taken in the tournament. And yes, I have turned into an insufferable arena whore taking the challenge out of the game just so I can take a sadistic pleasure in watching all my units OHKO all enemy units who are still unpromoted and at a level that is leagues underneath me.

Who else has shamelessly arena whored in earlier levels just to enjoy the pleasure of clearing a supposedly hard level with relative ease?

General discussion of Arena whoring here, so don't hold back. And if you have experiences of your character benefitting from the Arena... do share.

Edited by tiger the rocketship

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arena abused in one off the first GBA games I played (FE6 or FE7) and never bothered again because I found the game boring since the enemy phase was just watching the same thing over and over again: My units are killing everything and always survive no matter how ridiculously reckless I was.

I abused the arenas in my second time through FE7. I was trying to get as many supports as possible for my support library, so I figured I may as well do something instead of just sitting around. I normally don't bother using the arena at all just because I find it unnecessary.

I abused to level 15 in FE6 in the first arena you get, and units STILL died.

I do it for the money (hence why I abused Zealot to a decent level in FE6 in the chapter he was forced in)

I do, but there are times when I don't have anyone to raise.

Also, not to uproot the point of the discussion but the ideology behind the arena is really sadistic. You watch two people fight to the death over a small amount of gold. You even give some people silver weapons while others get plain old iron.

I do, but there are times when I don't have anyone to raise.

Also, not to uproot the point of the discussion but the ideology behind the arena is really sadistic. You watch two people fight to the death over a small amount of gold. You even give some people silver weapons while others get plain old iron.

SMALL?!

You can buy a KILLER WEAPON most of the time from winning!

Hey, it happened in real life without the gold for a long time. What's so surprising?

I always arena abuse once I get to Port of Badon. Everywhere else is sort of annoying, since reinforcements keep showing up, so I can't just focus on the arena. Having Priscilla promote by chapter 20 due to all the healing is always a perk!

Lol I had a 20/20 Rutger by the time I went to chapter 8 in Fe6. ARENA!!!

Port. Of. Badon. Best chapter ever. Good Ol' Arena Abuse, some 8 or so level ups from pirates, CANAS, and already a stock of promotion items to use with your jacked-up team. Also, most characters you have also make good supports by that time, being able to round off an A support by the Dragon's Gate.

But the problem comes in Hector Hard, when you can only have 6 units in that chapter... >_>

If I could choose the two to promote with a hero's crest and guiding ring, I would go with Raven, and then level some other people to 20, so Serra makes lv 20 and then promote her to a bishop. Yes, her light only goes to D, but that gives me some 15 or so chapters to bring up Luce. :3

Serra > Lucuis. I'm sorry.

Lol I had a 20/20 Rutger by the time I went to chapter 8 in Fe6. ARENA!!!

Port. Of. Badon. Best chapter ever. Good Ol' Arena Abuse, some 8 or so level ups from pirates, CANAS, and already a stock of promotion items to use with your jacked-up team. Also, most characters you have also make good supports by that time, being able to round off an A support by the Dragon's Gate.

But the problem comes in Hector Hard, when you can only have 6 units in that chapter... >_>

If I could choose the two to promote with a hero's crest and guiding ring, I would go with Raven, and then level some other people to 20, so Serra makes lv 20 and then promote her to a bishop. Yes, her light only goes to D, but that gives me some 15 or so chapters to bring up Luce. :3

Serra > Lucuis. I'm sorry.

It's like Intelligent Systems wants you to abuse the arena lol.

As for me though, once I realized that I don't suck at Fire Emblem, I stopped. Arena abusing was so boring that I had to do it in two days for every PT. In FE 7, usually my Lucius would die, so I'd start over and then he'd get crappy stats. :/

Naw, I rarely use arenas now. Last time I did I lost a character, so you could say that that was a turning point for me. Even if I started a new quest again, I wouldn't abuse, there is no need for it.

Edited by Deity

My brother once got a 1% critical on the first enemy attack on Artur after he went through a lot of abuse.

With a peg knight :|.

Arena Abuse is really only good if you have an emulator (FE1-FE6 ONLY, or I have a sad face :()

My brother once got a 1% critical on the first enemy attack on Artur after he went through a lot of abuse.

With a peg knight :|.

Arena Abuse is really only good if you have an emulator (FE1-FE6 ONLY, or I have a sad face :()

Lol Artur? This is FE7 board.

I generally don't arena abuse. If I ever use it, it's just to have lower-leveled characters catch up. It takes the fun out of the game otherwise.

The only time i extensively Arena abused was the first time i played; Raven 20/20'd and i sent him out in every chapter as a last-resort trump card.... i'd have Marcus Drop him In the Fray when things turned ugly..

• 2 months later...

I arena abuse all the time now. I don't feel it takes the fun out of the game at all. Actually difficulty can more than easiness. I always do awful on tactics unfortunately.