Ugh, more server problems.

Jyosua

Well, you may have noticed we were down for the past few days. Well, allow me to explain. We were being hosted by a company that used software called HyperVM to manage their client's servers. A few days ago, around 10PM, a hacker used a zero-day exploit to gain access to their infrastructure, and proceeded to go and destroy a shitload of data. It's estimated around 10000 websites were affected across 4000 servers (keep in mind these are virtual servers). Approximately half of the servers affected suffered a complete loss of user data. Ours was among them. Needless to say this entire situation is very serious. So serious in fact, that the creator of the software hung himself. That's how bad this issue became. On top of this fact, is the matter of personal info. The hosting company's encrypted versions of peoples credit cards was among the things compromised, so people like me had to cancel our credit cards to prevent identity theft. Anyways, that about sums up what happened. Now on to what's going to happen.

First of all, I need to apologize. I was not nearly prepared for a scenario such as this, and because of my failure, we now suffer from a loss of 3 month's worth of data. This was completely my responsibility, and I failed to make sure we had current backups, for various reasons, but I'll spare you the details. However, I cannot emphasize enough, that this will never happen again. I have now purchased a server with Singlehop, a very reputable hosting company. It's a dedicated server, which will run me somewhere around 170 a month. The reason for the pricing is the specs and the steps I've taken to ensure we have proper backups. The server we're on now is this one:

http://singlehop.com/servers/S-E7400.php

but in addition to that, we have a redundant backup storage, on which I can place quite a few forum backups and a most recent version full site backup. I plan to have those automatically done once a week. I may or may not have a second backup storage elsewhere, just for the hell of it. I'm serious when I say I don't want to ever see this situation happen again.

Finally, I just want to apologize one last time. There's no making up for what happened here. The only thing I can possibly do is make sure it never happens again.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the creator hung himself, that's just... seriously. Fucking hackers...

On a seperate note, I'm glad to see us back online, despite us having lost over two months of data.

I can't believe the creator hung himself, that's just... seriously. Fucking hackers...

On a seperate note, I'm glad to see us back online, despite us having lost over two months of data.

The guy wouldn't have lasted at Microsoft, that's for certain.

In any case, yeah, it could've been much worse. I recall another forum I frequent once lost 5 months of data. Now THAT sucked.

I noticed that some things like the shadow dragon in game script are now gone. I think you can probably get at least some of it back by going to google and typing: site:www.serenesforest.net/fe11/script into the search bar.

And clicking on the "cached" version of the page.

e.g. Prologue IV:

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:NnnwO...=clnk&gl=au

Hope that helps.

Edited by Sylvan

Question: Does this mean people who created their accounts recently will have lost them?

Everything is exactly the same as it was on 19th March.

The newest group of moderators need to be modded again...

Serious Discussion needs to be recreated...

Fuck...

Oh, the suckage. Damnit.

Never was there a more appropriate time to present

. Edited by Angelix

Not to mention, you get en error when uploading avatars and your avatar disapears afterwards.

indeed, i just tried to change my avatar and it just went pfft!

oh, and the Serious Discussion Board must be remade.

There is a website I use to watch anime on, www.lovelyanime.com. I wonder if they were affected by this, because I noticed they went offline the same time as the Forest, but are yet to come back online...

Judging from the IP of that site, I would say yes, it looks like they're on an a2b2 IP, which is affiliated with the host I was using.

indeed, i just tried to change my avatar and it just went pfft!

oh, and the Serious Discussion Board must be remade.

What error does it give?

Edit: Nevermind, try now.

Judging from the IP of that site, I would say yes, it looks like they're on an a2b2 IP, which is affiliated with the host I was using.

... Oh dear. That site had new anime episodes being uploaded literally every day.

These people who hacked the host affecting all these sites and resulting in a suicide, I hope they are severely punished.

... Oh dear. That site had new anime episodes being uploaded literally every day.

These people who hacked the host affecting all these sites and resulting in a suicide, I hope they are severely punished.

If the hacker(s) even get caught. >_>

It's likely they'll never know who did it. They compromised the system at such a high level that they probably deleted any logs. Even if there are logs, they probably covered their tracks pretty well anyways.

It's pretty motherfucking depressing. Oh well, hopefully we can pick up the pieces and move onward from there, etc etc.