Only One Guiding Ring

Fei Mao

Promote Healer or a Magic User (mage shaman monk)   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Promote Healer
    • Promote a Magic User

I'd promote a magic user because they then usually get the ability to use staves and therefore add something that you're more than likely not having in abundance, healing; the only exception is Priscilla or Serra, in every other FE a mage gets priority since you can always use more healers in my opinion and you already should have more than enough competent damage dealers

Not to mention that the earlier you promote them, the easier it'll be to abuse get their staff ranks high enough for Psychic and the like.

Mages here, too.

I'd promote a magic user because they then usually get the ability to use staves and therefore add something that you're more than likely not having in abundance, healing; the only exception is Priscilla or Serra, in every other FE a mage gets priority since you can always use more healers in my opinion and you already should have more than enough competent damage dealers

Actually, I beg to differ. Sure, having an extra staff user is nice, but having one less liability on Enemy Phase is even better IMO.

Since I'm an odd ball, I will say that I'm using the Guiding Ring on Serra.

I guess I'm an odd ball as well, since I used a Guiding Ring on Serra. :P

Focus, now.

If the magician in question were a Monk, then definitely let the magician have it.

I don't know about the rest of the FE's, but in FE 7 Bishops (basically Lucius only) start out with a C in staves.

And a C in staves is pretty much all you need, since it gives you access to Heal, Mend, Recovery, and Barrier.

Physic is level B, but if your Bishop is doing all the healing and if he uses C-class staves, he'll upgrade to a B in no time.

But I digress...

I base my team off of fighters. All my magic-users fight, and once they promote then using them for healing is just an added bonus. The main concern is that they have high Magic and can pull their weight in battle.

IMO: Magic-user gets guiding ring, fights another day; healer drops out of the party and joins the support group for failed units.

That actually heavily depends on the situation for me; however, I guess I'd go with giving the ring to a magic user more often than to a healer. I'd always give the ring to the healer first if I abuse one of the earlier arenas (most notably the one in Badon), just because that healer can then continue to collect experience from healing while I continue to abuse the arena. Awesome.

However, a little later in the game, I'd give magic users priority. They not only continue to gain combat power once promoted, but they also gain staves. Neat. Most of the interesting staves (except for physic) only require a rather low staff level anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to not have a very high staff rank, but be able to S-rank the actual attacking magic. Healers, on the other hand, gain the ability to defend themselves as well, which is neat - but they'll always remain bad at it due to the very low starting level in their attacking magic while already having an A in staves, due to which they'll almost automatically S-rank staves instead of their attacking magic, which is useless.

However, promoting a magic user early isn't bad either.

Having two DEF-blessed sages with Physic staves essentially breaks the game. =P

Long story cut short, I voted for magic users.

• 3 weeks later...
Healer. I'm a big fan of healers and I want them to have better stats. Also, in FE5, the staff level increase helps.

I guess your reasoning is the same as mine. Though I just don't like male healers one bit. Moulder just didn't appeal to me, and then came Rhys to just kill what was left of the little respect I had for male healers.

:angry:

I'd probably go for the healer, though it would depend on the situation. I might need an additional fighter, but I might need a more powerful unit. I'd probably go with the new fighter.

EDIT: When this poll was created I thought there was only 1 guiding ring. :o

Edited by Joshybear25

Healer, I never end up needing too many staff users. Yay attacking

.... on a side note when is this situation actually likely?

Edited by Reinfleche

• 9 years later...

This is a really old post, but I'd say that Serra herself is a walking healbot, she doesn't need to be able to attack because her magic stat is probably going to be super low due to her starting with a base of two magic. Priscilla will be a superior healer turned mage because of her higher magic base, probability that she'll level up magic, Valkyrie gives a higher magic level up than bishop and such. Plus one big difference between Priscilla and Serra is that Priscilla is on a horse which is able to allow her to be able to rescue people and get to enemies/allies quicker so focusing on Priscilla is more beneficial. Though even though I said all of this, having more healers than fighters is more important, so having a mage who can potentially boost up a lower staff level is very useful, i'd say to use the guiding ring on Canas, honestly maybe it'd be even more beneficial to use it on him earlier. Lucius is good but light magic isn't that good of a tome in the first place, whilst dark magic is very good.