Worst weapon type in this game overall

God, I hate RD...

Also Reikken, I'm curious how RD managed to become #2 favorite for...uhh...anyone.

RD's weapons are horribly imbalanced (axe >>> others >>>>>>> magic), but the stats (str,luck,etc) are more balanced than in most other FE games

More importantly, it has lots of good gameplay elements (improved laguz system, improved on bexp [<-- these existing at all is much better than other FEs aside from 9], height, better skill system aside from the mastery skills, etc), real difficulty, good level design, epic soundtrack, and a nice diverse range of unit ability levels. maybe some other stuff I forgot

Edited by Reikken

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway... was there ever a phase where Light magic was good?

I'd like to know when was dark magic any good. FE7 and Luna have a case, but other than that...

I'd like to know when was dark magic any good.

Here.

Buyable Nosferatu that's not superheavy. It has more 2 mt than any nonlegendary 1-2 range anima tome and only 5 less hit than Elfire (15 less than Aircalibur), and again, it's not superheavy. Only 1 AS loss on this game's male druid. And it's Nosferatu. ie drains hp.

Edited by Reikken

I'd like to know when was dark magic any good. FE7 and Luna have a case, but other than that...

This game and Nosferatu wasn't bad, if you knew how to use it.

Yeah... seems to me Light and Dark get shafted in a lot of ways. Other than Summoner class in FE8, but that didn't require Dark Magic to use it. And obviously Luna in FE7, too bad FE8 nerfed it to death (low Hit rate anyone?)

Edited by Colonel M

Here.

Buyable Nosferatu that's not superheavy. It has more 2 mt than any nonlegendary 1-2 range anima tome and only 5 less hit than Elfire (15 less than Aircalibur), and again, it's not superheavy. Only 1 AS loss on this game's male druid. And it's Nosferatu. ie drains hp.

It's not just dark magic itself. It's also the fact that the users tend to suck which makes me dislike it. Not helping is the fact that the ultimate dark tomes are terrible.

This game and Nosferatu wasn't bad, if you knew how to use it.

Yeah... seems to me Light and Dark get shafted in a lot of ways. Other than Summoner class in FE8, but that didn't require Dark Magic to use it. And obviously Luna in FE7, too bad FE8 nerfed it to death (low Hit rate anyone?)

Yeah, Luna was good in FE7, but in FE8, it got nerfed to holy hell and back. So much, in fact, that I actually sell the Luna tomes in that game for money.

Niime isn't terrible. An Angelic Robe makes her useful at least. If you can get to S Rank in Dark Magic (attack from time to time) Apocalypse is sick in damage against Mamkutes.

RD's weapons are horribly imbalanced (axe >>> others >>>>>>> magic), but the stats (str,luck,etc) are more balanced than in most other FE games

I can agree with the stat thing. Pity stat caps BS completely ruined it. Lol Archsages and armors not named Gatrie.

More importantly, it has lots of good gameplay elements (improved laguz system, improved on bexp [<-- these existing at all is much better than other FEs aside from 9], height, better skill system aside from the mastery skills, etc), real difficulty, good level design, epic soundtrack, and a nice diverse range of unit ability levels. maybe some other stuff I forgot

I do agree with the laguz system (though cats need to start with like 10 pre-based meter in a battle), bexp I'm rather neutral about.

The height deal I found a bit overused, though it is a great idea.

Skills I did like implimented, but the problem was in characters and the parts deal. It just favors favoritism. If this was implimented in a game not FE10, I'd love that game.

I wouldn't say there's actual difficulty to this game. It gives you way too many shortcuts.

Level design had new stuff, but I wouldn't say it was good...

I'm rather surprised someone liked the garbled orchestra this game dares to call a soundtrack, but my taste in music is weird anyways.

Diverse range of unit ability levels? If you mean how the game actually throws you laughably bad units and never to use them? The thing is, the only thing keeping me from liking this game is the damn parts. Like if the CRK joined the DB as the game continued from Part 1 then the mercs joined the brigade in their part, I'd have loved this game. Many more things would fit than "use these guys then toss them when the game throws ubers at you every two steps".

Rrrr...perhaps I'm just nerdraeging. I just cannot understand how anyone could like RD, it mystifies me. Maybe I'm just curious as to if I'm missing something. I could be missing what makes this game enjoyable.

Also yeah, light magic was pretty cool in FE4

Niime isn't terrible. An Angelic Robe makes her useful at least. If you can get to S Rank in Dark Magic (attack from time to time) Apocalypse is sick in damage against Mamkutes.

When someone like her, of all people, is considered a good dark user...My faith in there ever being a good dark magic user is dropping like a ton of bricks. And again, the ultimate dark tomes tend to suck.

on FE10's bexp, while I greatly dislike the fact that the majority of the bexp is gotten by simply beating the chapter rather than beating it quickly or fulfilling certain requirements (ALL of it should fall into the latter categories. None of it should be just handed to you), I like everything else. First, I like the idea of bexp in general. Rewarding you for fulfilling certain requirements is cool. Then the always+3 bit has a few effects, all of which I like. It's not nearly as abusable, it takes out a bit of the luck factor on level ups, and it helps make cap-ramming not a total waste.

Yes, throw garbage units at me, please. The uber ones I can do without, but that's just how I am. I'm sure it's nice for some people. The cool part about all this is that you can choose which units you want to use. If I want to make my next run extremely difficult, all I need to do is use <insert names of garbage units here>. And vice versa.

When someone like her, of all people, is considered a good dark user...My faith in there ever being a good dark magic user is dropping like a ton of bricks. And again, the ultimate dark tomes tend to suck.

Niime is the best Druid is FE6, though its because she comes with A staves and high magic to go with it. Using Physic from like 10 spaces away right off the bat it nice.

Edited by Miror B.

Can you really name a ton of units that have the insane range that she has with Physic and other good staves? Clarine or Cecilia are the closest and it takes considerable leveling up and such to match to it. Their case the horse helps it.

on FE10's bexp, while I greatly dislike the fact that the majority of the bexp is gotten by simply beating the chapter rather than beating it quickly or fulfilling certain requirements (ALL of it should fall into the latter categories. None of it should be just handed to you), I like everything else. First, I like the idea of bexp in general. Rewarding you for fulfilling certain requirements is cool. Then the always+3 bit has a few effects, all of which I like. It's not nearly as abusable, it takes out a bit of the luck factor on level ups, and it helps make cap-ramming not a total waste.

That's the thing though, it just rewards characters who hit their cap first. There's no point in units that just aren't gonna hit their cap any time soon.

Yes, throw garbage units at me, please. The uber ones I can do without, but that's just how I am. I'm sure it's nice for some people. The cool part about all this is that you can choose which units you want to use. If I want to make my next run extremely difficult, all I need to do is use <insert names of garbage units here>. And vice versa.

I'd prefer giving units unique uses rather than...this. Using the weaker characters in this game is equivelent to something like FF8 where you try to go through the game without junctions or something. The fact something is in the game to suck on purpose is only funny when it's supposed to be a joke. I mean come on...Fiona?

Well, magic is overall the most powerful weaponry in this game. The most accurate 1-2 range in the game, and attacks res? That's pretty pwn.

The only thing limiting magic is the extreme fraility of all your magic users. But magic users in general are pretty easy to train if you're careful.

Yeah, the weapons are pretty balanced. I just think Lances by nature are the least practical overall because they aren't good at anything without some fairly massive stats backing them. You don't need massive stats in everything for other weaponry to find a practical use for them.

Aren't bows the worst in all the FE games aside from FE2?

You actually can battle on Enemy Phase with those things, too. =]

-----

Dark Magic is the worst. You never will have a good Dark Magic user without Body Ring whoring. Axes come second because they are too heavy for many axe users and the better axes have low hit rates and higher weight.

Edited by Ursula

Dark magic is actually pretty cool in this game...just none of your units who are able to use it are all that amazing. If you had a good unit that could use Dark magic, it would easily make Dark magic BY FAR a lot more useful in this game. So basically an RNG blessed Ray is probably quite a useful asset.

Axes are better than Lances. They have better accuracy against what matters (vs other axes and lances). They also do more damage, and of course are more durable against those two weapon types I mentioned.

Yes, those lances you have on your cavs do more damage than swords against those mercs and loldiers, but there is a tradeoff. They still have less accuracy than swords despite wt control, so any weakened merc or soldier is better finished off with a sword as opposed to a lance.

IMO weapon usefulness without character bias:

Magic > Swords > Bows > Axes > Lances

Keep in mind, there is one disadvantage to magic in not getting a "killer" tome. So lategame magic isn't simply by default blowing away all those other weapon types. However you do get Aircalibur, which is pwn, and Nosferatu is a cool tome if you're using a shaman.

Edited by A2ZOMG