~ So I just read the FE10 Walkthrough on SF ... ~

This guy recommends to bring Kieran, Edward, Volke, Oscar and Soren to Endgame...Kieran and Edward are also supposed to be good unit to promote to tier 3.

"A * next to the units name is the one I feel is the best in their class.

A ~ next to the units name is a unit I feel is especially poor and should not be given much XP or used at all.

A ! next to the units name is a unit I feel is especially useful to bring into the final chapter.

[...]

Thieves:

*Volke (Assassin) [...]

Healer/Clerics:

*Mist [...]

Dragon Knights:

*Jill [...]

Myrmidons:

*Edward [...]"

Volke > Sothe? Jill > Haar? Edward > Mia/Zihark?

This walkthrough is awful and full of bad advice. I have no idea why it is there but it should either be removed or replaced by a better one.

Anybody agrees?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volke > Sothe? Jill > Haar? Edward > Mia/Zihark?

This walkthrough is awful and full of bad advice. I have no idea why it is there but it should either be removed or replaced by a better one.

Anybody agrees?

Volke can be a better fighter. Especially because of that 25% crit boost that can instant kill someone. Sothe has always had trouble doing damage at capped strength in EASY Mode and this is written for Hard and Maniac Modes so that'll make him even worse.

For most of the game Haar is better. But in the Endgame most enemies wield magic and Jill beats Haar in Rsistance. That's where she's better for the endgame.

I'm nuetral omn Edward vs. Mia and Zihark. I've never liked Zihark. Mia and Edward have always been good for me but I'll adit Edward is slightly better.

I don't think it should be removed.

That's MJEmerizan or whoever's guide, based on the JP version. I bitched at him about how awful and inaccurate it was, and that actually prompted him to go back and alter it to be even MORE in favor of Eddie (go read the version on GFAQs to see what I mean). The man has a screw loose.

EDIT: here, I'll do you a favor and quote it:

Calling him worthless because a player is too incompetent to level him is simply an indictment of their lack of skill at the game.
Edited by Interceptor

You can tell he wasn't playing maniac mode for efficiency, just to beat the game. Note how a lot of his part 1 chapters have ridiculous turn counts (13 for 1-P, 18 for 1-3, 19 for 1-7... I only bothered to check his part 1 turn counts so I don't know what he did for the other chapters). When you take that long to beat chapters to feed kills to units you want, the growth units like Edward start to shine.

Look at IGN's guide. Its on NM, and it's even worse. Examples...

Telling you to kill Oliver.

Telling you to kill Gareth

Bringing Rhys to endgame. I always argue for Rhys, but he definitely isn't the best healer out there. Calling him the "ultimate healer" doesn't help either.

I know there are more examples, but I don't want to look at that farce.

http://guides.ign.com/guides/826984/page_3.html

Read on.

The one on gamefaqs does some pretty crazy things in part 4 too. Like telling you to wait in 4-4 until the reinforcements are done, then finally finish the rest of the chapter. He does that in just about all of part 4. Always says wall until the reinforcements are gone. 4-4 can be done in 10 turns even if you focus most kills on 4 or 5 characters. It isn't easy, sure, but it's not like it's impossible.

I think the game's popularity has a large affect on the amount and quality of walkthroughs. When you make a walkthrough/guide, one of the first things you'll consider is how many people are going to read it ^^

Radiant Dawn has almost no good walkthroughs, I guess everyone is too lazy to write one when you could just go to Serenes Forest. Then again Pokemon has Serebii and Smogon and there are some great walkthroughs.

Maybe the difficulty of the game could be a factor? The PoKéMoN games have an incredibly easy storyline. Hell, you can get through it using just one or two PoKéMoN if you want. As such, anyone can beat it and come up with a decent guide for it (as long as they have the ability to type comprehensibly).

Unless you were talking about guides for EV's and stuff, basically things used for outside the main game and more in the metagame, then that would probably be because of the metagame's popularity, which is what VASM was talking about.

Edited by ManaBlitz

If only Vykan or ragefox would write a walkthrough, they'd be worth reading.

I'm not even talking about super-detailed information on how you can two-turn 1-6-2 or one-turn 4-5. My complaint is that misinformation is spread ...

I'm not even talking about super-detailed information on how you can two-turn 1-6-2 or one-turn 4-5. My complaint is that misinformation is spread ...

Yeah, but they don't spread misinformation due to thier knowledge of the game.

I have the Prima guide for this game and it's AWFUL. That guy makes the worst strategies imaginable. I have the Shadow Dragon Prima guide and it's terrible. I buy them just for little advice but I always hate them in the end.

This game's guide is pretty bad as well.

Edited by luigi bros

Prima sucks. I bought their Brawl guide, and they say Captain Falcon is one of the best characters in the game, and that Meta Knight is one of the worst.

Theory: the difference is probability, and more room for cleverness.

I have only played the second AW for the DS, but all of the campaign missions and trials start from the same baseline and nothing builds on anything else. There are tactical decisions to be made, but they are comparatively simple and the game is very rock-paper-scissors. You can cram 90% of what you need to know on a sheet of paper.

When I think about all of the things that would need to be noted in this game, it's pretty daunting.

The one on gamefaqs does some pretty crazy things in part 4 too. Like telling you to wait in 4-4 until the reinforcements are done, then finally finish the rest of the chapter. He does that in just about all of part 4. Always says wall until the reinforcements are gone. 4-4 can be done in 10 turns even if you focus most kills on 4 or 5 characters. It isn't easy, sure, but it's not like it's impossible.

I'll assume you're talking about Deathborn since his is the only guide completed other than MJ's.

His guide is meant to be how a normal player should play the game. This includes things like 30-turning 4-5 and waiting out the reinforcements for 4-4. A normal player would do these things. The pros may not, but his is catered to the newbies.

I'll assume you're talking about Deathborn since his is the only guide completed other than MJ's.

His guide is meant to be how a normal player should play the game. This includes things like 30-turning 4-5 and waiting out the reinforcements for 4-4. A normal player would do these things. The pros may not, but his is catered to the newbies.

Never thought of it that way. You make a good point. By that argument, his rating system is designed with that in mind, and his ratings might make more sense too.

I haven't bothered to look through the other guides on gamefaqs so are any of the others actually designed to tell people how to finish things inside the bexp requirements?

edit: wait, I just read the first post again and I guess I was talking about a different guide, oops. Yeah, I was reading the Deathborn one.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Note: I'm absolutely 100% sure that MJEmirzian is a girl, for a start. In her defense, that guide was written like at least 100 years ago when RD was first released (in Japan nonetheless), when no one was really around to debate her credibility. It was mainly a get-through-the-game-without-owning-yourself guide, for other people who were playing the Japanese version.

Edited by Angelix

Hey, if you guys don't like those guides, I could write one! : D You know they'd be so unbiased and reliable...

...Ok, I'll just go ahead and leave...*scoots out a bit* Yeah, should hit the old dusty trail here...*runs*

Those guides always give me a good laugh.

Going from this one:

First off, Elincia's basically a suped-up Seraph Knight, which I really like. Her starting stats are better than any of the Falcon Knights in the game. There's no reason NOT to use her.
The only weakness Elincia has is to bows (3x the damage), but unlike Marcia and other Seraph Knights, Elincia's high Luck stat allows her to dodge them far more frequently.
A lot of people really like Laura, and I don't understand why. As much as the Saint class doesn't appeal to me at all for endgame, I have to defend Rhys as being the better of the two.
Whether Tanith is any good largely depends on how well you leveled up Marcia.
Given that all of Ena's high growths are in areas that cap quickly, Ena's a prime candidate to abuse BEXP so that she maxes everything. What are you saving it for anyway? You might as well make a craptastic unit into someone that's useful seeing as you are forced to take her.
Volug is one of those characters that can help out in a pinch at the cost of taking away some party experience.
Ultimately, Volug is not a very good unit, and it starts to show even in Chapter 1-10 (although I guess every unit is getting beating here too). Still, when you could take Nailah - or practically anyone with better stats - into the final chapters... why bother with Volug for?

It's like every fallacy a debating n00b would make compressed into a guide. Giving a unit both a join grade and an endgame grade is symbolic of that.