FE9 tourney sign-up

Vykan12

Tino is bound to have volleyball/homework/other real life stuffs

School's over, the season is over (I just have training twice per week, which doesn't consume much of my time), so all I've left that could get in the way of debaet is a busier social life now that school's over. So I don't think I'll have to drop out.

So :P as well.

Anyway, you said it was single elimination, right, vykan? Don't you think double elimination can make things a lot more interesting?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, you said it was single elimination, right, vykan? Don't you think double elimination can make things a lot more interesting?

I agree with this, it also gives a second chance to those who did an unfairly matched debate. See, Tier lists can't just be used to check debate quality. See my Taur vs Haar debate with Cynthia, where Vykan cleary showed how, despite the fact that they were close on the tier lists, Haar was easily better than Taur and it was an unfair match up.

If you guys want double elimination, so be it. I'm not sure how to work double elimination with 10 contestants though. Ideas?

That can make things a little complicated, yes.

Another possibility would be to have two groups of five people where you debate every single person once, and then the two top debaters in every group advance to the semi-finals, but that may make the tournament very long. It's merely a possibility. I'm not sure if it would be the best one, though.

If you guys want double elimination, so be it. I'm not sure how to work double elimination with 10 contestants though. Ideas?

Lessee (Names are just used as example):

Round 1 winner bracket: Kirsche vs Mekkah, Cynthia vs Vykan, Tino vs B2BD, Ether vs Ragefox, Colonel M vs Sirius

Roudn 2 winner bracket: Kirsche vs Cynthia, Tino vs winner of Ragefox vs Sirius

Round 3 winner bracket: Kirsche vs Tino

Round 1 loser bracket: Mekkah vs Vykan, B2BD vs winner of Ether vs Colonel M

Round 2 loser bracket: Vykan vs B2BD, Ragefox vs Sirius

Round 3 Loser bracket: Vykan vs winner of Ragefox vs Tino

Final match: Kirsche vs Tino.

Another possibility would be to have two groups of five people where you debate every single person once, and then the two top debaters in every group advance to the semi-finals, but that may make the tournament very long. It's merely a possibility. I'm not sure if it would be the best one, though.

I don't mind the length, summer break is nearly here anyway.

Edited by kirsche

How about this? I’m assuming the left sided opponent wins in every case.

Round 1

1 vs 2

3 vs 4

5 vs 6

7 vs 8

9 vs 10

Round 2

Winners

1 and 8 get voted the most impressive debaters of R1 and get a free pass

3 vs 5

7 vs 9

Losers

2 vs 4

6 vs 10

Round 3

Winners

1 vs 8

3 vs 7

Losers

2 vs 6

5 vs 9

Round 4

Winners

1 vs 3

Losers

7 vs 8

2 vs 5

Round 5

Winners

N/A

Losers

2 vs 7

Round 6

Winners

N/A

Losers

2 vs 3

Final Round

1 vs 2

1 wins the tournament.

Edited by Vykan12

Your post confuses me a bit Vykan, mainly with contestant 8. They lost(since they're on the right hand side), but they were also voted most impressive debater and ended up in the winner's bracket.

We could always run Swiss-Style, thus circumventing the whole 10 player issue. Just decide the number of rounds beforehand.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Your post confuses me a bit Vykan, mainly with contestant 8. They lost(since they're on the right hand side), but they were also voted most impressive debater and ended up in the winner's bracket.

Hmm. I guess we'll have to vote the most impressive winner and loser of R1, but then that means the losing player would have to lose a total of 3 times to be eliminated. Bah.

We could always run Swiss-Style

What's Swiss-style?

I don't understand how participants are eliminated in that format. Also, I don't want a person's "score" carrying itself between rounds.

My other idea was to pit the last 4 sign-ups (ie Tino, Mekkah, Red Fox and Ether) in single elimination, then carry out double elimination with 8 participants. It sucks if you're eliminated in the first round, but at least it's simple for subsequent rounds.

No one gets eliminated in Swiss style, everyone plays every round. Swiss style would also be good for controversial debates, since the margin of victory matters.

I don't mind your method, though it kind of sucks for those people.

I like the idea of the Swiss Style Tournament, actually. Especially since it's never been applied to an FE debate tournament before, which means we could at least experiment with it.

So how about Swiss style for 4 rounds, and the 2 people with the highest scores duke it out in the finals?

In any case, let's just start the first round with 5 vs 5 and see where it goes from there.

There's one last match-up I haven't made yet.

Ether (Ilyana) vs Red Fox (Mia)

Ether (Astrid) vs Red Fox (Jill or Nephenee)

take your pic unless you want to change up your character choices.

So how about Swiss style for 4 rounds, and the 2 people with the highest scores duke it out in the finals?

In any case, let's just start the first round with 5 vs 5 and see where it goes from there.

There's one last match-up I haven't made yet.

take your pic unless you want to change up your character choices.

All of those are fine with me,so Red Fox can choose.

Wait what? Ilyana vs Mia? They're like, 2 tiers apart. heck, I doubt Astrid can beat Jill or Nephenee can beat Astrid.

Those seem one-sided.

Wouldn't Ilyana vs. Neph be pretty balanced?

Perhaps, I can see a flaw with it though.

Personally, i believe that you two should get new opponents for it unless vykan, you and ragefox are happy with said debates.