Bring Back the Serious Discussion Forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been an awesome post but I can see you edited it and that ruins everything.

If you don't like the things that got topics in that board, A- you did a fine job of exercising your right not to post then and could surely continue to do so and B- you could have made a topic that interests you easily enough.

Having one>Not having one

Edited by Rehab

If I recall a large percentage of problematic topics and topics that erupted into flame wars came from that section. Although I think that some people take the general section lightly when it comes to trying to discuss serious topics, and don't always add insight, it's just fine for discussing (no pun intended) generally everything.

That's just my opinion though.

People have too broad a definition of flame wars here. Yes, there was a lot of "you are uninformed, pretend not to be and are therefore shit" but that's not all the topics became. Yes, imo they could have used more presence of somebody telling people to stick to their points and leave their extra personal shit at the door more than they did, but the underlying points of the posts were far more often informational and within the realm of the proposed discussion than the basest form of dedicated mudslinging.

Oh no, I was perfectly okay with that, it's just when people started to take it personal and as if it's an argument they must win or their reputation will be lowered or something.

That and the occasional person would come in and say something extremely controversial and everyone would gang up on them. (Not to mention trolls will do this purposely just because they don't like people to have serious discussion.)

The way I see it is this community just can't be civilized and disagree on an issue at the same time. I think you'd agree that there are a large number of people who take others disagreeing too personally.

This is all my opinion however, and I could be wrong.

Gee, it sure is no staff bringing back the SD in here.

I don't think we should bother, the general forums is fine. The only thing the serious discussion will bring is work and more boring discussions about stuff I hear on the news or ethic questions.

As a moron, you're neither wanted nor required in the SD.

If I recall a large percentage of problematic topics and topics that erupted into flame wars came from that section.

Topics that try tempers are going to be brought up whether or not there is a SD.

People have too broad a definition of flame wars here.

"You're flaming me!" translates to "I'm 'losing' the argument!" here.

Edited by Urist McMiner

In all truth, there's hardly those who really care about the section here. Then again, the same can be said of the art or ROMhacking section, or even the introductions board :[

There's no reason to not have it other than someone doesn't want to take the time to create the subsect.

Not trying to sound mean or anything, but it appears you posted the topic in the wrong place ^^

The site content forum is literally just for the site. So I'm not surprised it was overlooked (I had to search your topics just to find it).

Edited by VincentASM

Not trying to sound mean or anything, but it appears you posted the topic in the wrong place ^^

The site content forum is literally just for the site. So I'm not surprised it was overlooked (I had to search your topics just to find it).

You're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too nice man. :D

If you can't be assed, you could always make me an admin for 5 minutes and let me do it.

Listen to this man, he speaks truth!

Plox?

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Of course it's capable of serious discussion.

The maturity level is the thing you're talking about.

I can spark up a conversation about abortion to a bunch of 5 year olds. But that doesn't mean they'll start talking about it maturely. They wouldn't even know what I was talking about.

Of course it's capable of serious discussion.

The maturity level is the thing you're talking about.

I can spark up a conversation about abortion to a bunch of 5 year olds. But that doesn't mean they'll start talking about it maturely. They wouldn't even know what I was talking about.

Immature =/= serious.