ITT I rank the characters

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going beyond this will make a massive flame war, so...

Who says there won't be one anyway?

I think we've mostly left that one alone. It's true one could flare up, though.

(edit: I mean recent history)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Every thread is capable of a flame war.

That's, like, Rule #1 of internet forums.

Every thread is capable of a flame war.

That's, like, Rule #1 of internet forums.

Oh, this thread I'm sure has another one or two good flame wars in it. At least, as long as people keep bringing this topic back from the second or third page. But I don't think Aran v. Boyd will turn into one today.

It sucks that he (apparently) originally brought this thing back saying he is considering pumping Marcia up a bit, and that got left behind. I was hoping to see Marcia with a 6.0 or so. Or at least a 5, since I'm sure he'd never give her a 6.

(And Marcia is at least a 5.5. She's clearly a positive in her first 4 chapters. It doesn't matter that Haar is better than her in 2-P and Elincia is >> in 2-E. The number of superior units aren't nearly the numbers of superior units some other units face, and I'm not trying to get her an 8 or anything. In 3-11 and 3-E she's still doubling a bunch and should be 2RKOing things that aren't generals. Possible blip in 4-P for the few warriors there but still doubles and 2RKOs paladins, and by 4-3 she should be doubling even them again, and has wyrmslayer utility given she's one of the few flying units that can use wyrmslayers. And she's > Tanith and >> Sigrun anyway, and Elincia is locked to 4-2 and 4-5. 4-E she's one of two units likely to actually double stuff with the wishblade (Neph and Marcia, the others like Fiona and Tanith are too hard to get to 34 AS), and still has wyrmslayer utility. If Lehran can pull a 5.5, I see no reason for Marcia to be < Lehran when she has multiple chapters of strictly positive utility.)

(edit: added things about 4-P)

(edit: put something in the wrong topic. Oops)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I highly doubt anyone will try to argue Boyd > Aran, but complaints about teh gap will always arise.

I suppose Aran could drop to a 7.5 (he's one of the worst units in the 8.0 bracket anyway), but I don't see how Boyd can rise. He's like, the definition of the average unit in this game (if Lehran didn't exist to steal that title).

Back to Marcia... I'm not sure if she's a 5.5. I'm having second thoughts of even putting her at 5.0. her stats are pretty bad. Liek, "what if Oscar had 4 less att and no supports". Yeah, even the spd would be about the same unless you gave Marcia an early master crown (and until Oscar hits 32 spd). She has severe issues 3HKOing even with adept and she also has no crit.

It's a joke that I like to put in quotes an argument that my opponents are likely going to use, and then counter it. my opponents claim that their argument is not like that at all, and they've named the tactic "preemptive strawman".

Well, this is a rare moment. You and I both agree that your primary method of debating is a joke.

My post was pointing out the purpose of preemptive strawman, since I was about to say something in quotes to mimic what Int's next argument was likely going to be, but edited out, but I screenshotted it for the lulz. And it turns out Int ends up saying what I thought he was going to say.

So, the funny thing here is that what you typed up was not my argument, but just your bastardized version. It's much easier for you to counter something like "but Mia is better than most of those units!", because as an argument it's incoherent. That's why people straw-man: anyone can knock one down.

The real argument here is not that Mia is "better" than most of those units, but that she's very powerful, and as a result has a significant effect on efficiency. This difference matters because the rankings here are ostensibly based on quick and efficient clears. It's useful to compare units to others that they are deployed alongside, but martial comparisons alone do not tell the whole story about efficiency and speed.

Aran's problem is partly because he's overshadowed by the prepromos, but that's not the end of the story. He simply doesn't have much of a future. He starts mediocre, his army has nothing to give him except a forge, and he requires training. Aran doesn't even pay off in the long run: his apex is in Part 3. Once Part 4 lands, he's just another unit that has trouble doubling and dealing damage. Mia is in a completely different situation. She's not as powerful as Ike and Haar and crew (for the most part, anyway, she has advantages over them both), but unlike Part 1, you can't efficiently plow through GM Part 3 with so few units, and particularly you need some sort of fighting force for Part 4 to minimize turn counts.

So, it's understandable why you revert to just stretching other people's arguments into absurdities that hardly resemble the original. Nuance is hard. Why expend the effort to argue in good faith? Winning is more important than accuracy.

And that's why you're a funny man.

Edited by Interceptor

Why does everyone say I love Aran? He's probably not even among my top twenty favorite characters in this game. I'm just stuck defending him all the time because people on this board underrate/hate/use double standards on him.

Edited by Andrew W.K.

The spd isn't a big issue in DB chapters. Most of the units who have more spd are already above him (see: Nolan, Zihark, Nailah). Well there are other units who win spd, but they're much frailer (Edward/Jill/Leo) or have no availability (Tauroneo, Tormod, Muarim, Vika).

You are right, Barragan. Is there anything else I can do for you, God of Serenes Forest?

Well, since you're taking requests, you could get some better taste in anime. But really, I'd be happy if you just followed your own criteria for ranking units, instead of saying you're doing one thing, but then doing something else.

• 7 years later...