Matthew or Legault

Oujay

It depends what you plan to use your Thieves for, really.

If you are planning to use an Assassin and have been using Matthew as a fighting unit as well as looting chests etc., then Matthew would be the better choice, since he would have a good level and stat lead on Legault by the time he is recruited - especially since Matthew has most of Lyn mode to get even more levels under his belt.

However, if you don't use your thieves for anything other than emptying chests etc., then Legault makes for a good Matthew replacement once he is recruited, since Matthew will still be on a low level and it will be Legault with the lead in stats.

Matthew > Legault if you use them as fighting units and have them promote.

Legault > Matthew (once Legault is recruited) if you use them for nothing more than looting.

If I'm wrong in anything here, please correct me.

Edited by Raven

All three Assassins are fully usable with a Wo Dao if you're willing to depend on criticals. Really not much difference between them provided you have enough critical swords.

I'm pretty sure Assassins can't use Wo Dao.

Raven summed it up well. If you want a looter, Matthew is used until Legault shows up and he takes over. If you want your Thief to do some fighting and supporting, Matthew is the superior choice.

Now here's a question that I've never found the answer to myself. I normally go with Matthew, he seemed to do well with a Steel Sword himself as I leveled him up. So I'm tempted to say that later it's best to make Matthew the Assassin and let Legault do the thieving... but then again personality and storyline-wise maybe Legault would be a fair Assassin if you know what I mean.

Now here's a question that I've never found the answer to myself. I normally go with Matthew, he seemed to do well with a Steel Sword himself as I leveled him up. So I'm tempted to say that later it's best to make Matthew the Assassin and let Legault do the thieving... but then again personality and storyline-wise maybe Legault would be a fair Assassin if you know what I mean.

What the hell are you saying!? That thing slow him down, Legaul has the high con for steel swords.

Anyways, I choose Legault for his Def, Str & Res, Matthew's affinity sucks and so does his luck compared to Legault, Legault has better skill too for Silencer and more criticals since enemies don't have luck.

Anyways, I choose Legault for his Def, Str & Res, Matthew's affinity sucks and so does his luck compared to Legault, Legault has better skill too for Silencer and more criticals since enemies don't have luck.

Matthew's affinity gives him more crit(25% in this case) when supported with Guy(Fire) and Hector(Thunder). Legault's Ice means that supports will net Legault an extra 12.5 crit at best.

Edited by Cephas

What the hell are you saying!? That thing slow him down, Legaul has the high con for steel swords.

Wait... isn't the Silencer skill in Sacred Stones only????? :huh:

No. :mellow:

Silencer is in Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Path of Radience, and Radiant Dawn, though under the name of Lethality, but whatever.

Wait one second. I have never seen it in Blazing sword? :huh:

I've seen NPC Jaffar have crit kills with a red flash on the screen, which is the indicator of Silencer activating, a few times(including one in Link Battle Practice mode on Hector. He would have dealt no damage whatsoever).

Edited by Cephas

Matthew only loses two more speed from a steel sword than Legault. That's really not much to worry over.

Yeah but for Matthew, he looses 4 Avo, Legault only looses 1, in my case, he doesn't loose any (LOL, tactican bonus :awesome: )

I've seen NPC Jaffar have crit kills with a red flash on the screen, which is the indicator of Silencer activating, a few times(including one in Link Battle Practice mode on Hector. He would have dealt no damage whatsoever).

You notice the Silencer activation with the character's sprite sorta moves in a little strange way and then the screen goes red or I think violet for Legault.

The Silencer skill in FE7 isn't necessarily named Silencer, is it? I thought it was just some nameless exclusive move.

And to those who are saying that it ain't in FE7... come on, you saw what Jaffar did to Leila, right? One hit blow with blood-red flashes? That was it.

Edited by WyvernSageLord

Yeah and the flashing animation thing beforehand.

Anyways, Matthew in HHM gets you the Silver Card and his Strength's better than Legault's and he's there for most of the game so..

The Silencer skill in FE7 isn't necessarily named Silencer, is it? I thought it was just some nameless exclusive move.

And to those who are saying that it ain't in FE7... come on, you saw what Jaffar did to Leila, right? One hit blow with blood-red flashes? That was it.

Yeah, of course Silencer exist, it isn't named, though, my Matthew OHKO'd Sonia & a Morph Darin, my Legault did the same with Limstella & Nergal and both of them only use an iron sword which wouldn't even damage them.

Sure, Matthew has better Str, his skill suck though and his promo gains don't help, and Legault has something called "Defense", and for better damage he can use Silver Swords to not slow him down, I doubt you'll do a ranked run when promoting either so you could use alot of Silver or Steel swords for Legault.

Red Fox of Fire: Wo Dao is Myrmidon, Sword Master and Blade Lord only. No Assassins.

I like Mathew. Again because of Arena abuse and he is always somewhat decent. He'd be pretty good if that Fell Contract cam earlier. Or the Earth Seal worked on him.

Red Fox of Fire: Wo Dao is Myrmidon, Sword Master and Blade Lord only. No Assassins.

You should be telling that to Aitherion. Lyn can use the Wo Dao as a Lord before promotion, too.

You notice the Silencer activation with the character's sprite sorta moves in a little strange way and then the screen goes red or I think violet for Legault.

The Silencer flashes are red in FE7, while they are purple/violet in FE8.

Well, it is a bit rare. Only Assassins can do it, and its activation rate is half of your crit rate.

Oh, I always thought that that was just a second critical. :)

I prefer Legault. But he's not anything compared to Jaffar though. It's too bad assassins overall suck, they need caps that actually count later on in the game... <_<

I agree with Chainey, caps don't even matter <_< , sure, assasins have 20 for an Str cap but it'snot like enemies any enemies that are not named Nergal, Darin or some other morph general have a great defense, since enemies have 0 luck it will be more easier to critical or to use silencer.

My Legault had crappy Str at 20/1, he had 12 Str, but he proved me that assasins just aren't relied by there Str, Legault and Jaffar can just use weapons like a Silver sword to not slow them down.