worst character

Oujay

I actually trained him on my last playthrough, and he turned just fine for me to. Also, how many of you have trained him to a high level sniper???? I don' think that any of you did. :angry:
Because we actually tried and and found out that it wasn't worth the effort at all when we can use other characters that are easier to raise, have more utility, etc?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually trained him on my last playthrough, and he turned just fine for me to. Also, how many of you have trained him to a high level sniper???? I don' think that any of you did. :angry:

What?! It's not so much the fact that we haven't tried as it is the fact that it's not worth the assload of effort that raising him takes.

Rolf is part of the experience for me. raise him on chip damage -> watch a paladin *clink* him -> giggle at concept

Ilyana

What? No way in hell Rolf's better than Ilyana. No. 1-2 range and RES attacking + healing on promotion >>>> whatever Rofl provides, which is....Let me think....Oh wait, that's right, NOTHING! Actually, I'm insulted that you call what little damage Rofl provides "chip damage". I'd expect chip damage to be more than whatever Rofl's doing.

Edited by Jonathan Aulin

True, Rofl is marginally better at combat than Sothe. However, Sothe doesn't have to fight to be useful. He opens chests and steals shit. Rofl has to be an effective combat unit if he wants to contribute to the team, and there's no way he's going to be a good fighter without insane babying.

I did. Yeah, he turned out fine. I even liked using him; he provided another level of challenge. Do you want to know why he provided said challenge? He sucks. Seriously, he joins in chapter 8. He is level 1. His bases are as follows:

HP: 18

STR: 5

MAG: lol

SKL: 8

SPD: 6

DEF: 6

RES: 2

LCK: 4

That's absolutely horrid. At least Mist has healing, so she can get away with coming in during that chapter with bad bases. Rofl is an archer. He is stuck with 2 range, can't survive shit, gets doubled all over the place, and barely qualifies for chip damage. He is literally a detriment to your team.

Illyana comes a chapter earlier, and beats Rofl in HP, ATK, SPD, SKL, RES, and LCK. Also, she has Shade, which helps her durability. She has 1-2 range, and attacks RES. She has amazing support options with high tier characters. There is absolutely no way Rofl beats her.

Oh shit this thread is serious? whoaaaaa sorry.

Sothe gets outclassed by volke in every possible way + after raising rolf enough he is usefulon every chapter unlike sothe who can only be used for chests although volkeis less likely to die

I say sothe

+ you can support rofl with loliver for massive damage

Sothe gets outclassed by volke in every possible way + after raising rolf enough he is usefulon every chapter unlike sothe who can only be used for chests although volkeis less likely to die

I say sothe

My vote goes for Sothe. Well, I haven't actually used him but considering his Blossom skill, the fact that he can't promote, nor kill, nor steal (too slow) without bexp... As for the desert map, unless you're trying to beat the game with as few turns as possible, I think Volke is enoguh. After all, he always finds the treasures at once.

Not just as few turns as possible. There's also wanting to get every item and not kill any laguz but the boss. Volke got most of the items for me, but for me the timing worked out better if Sothe got around 2 or 3 of the items (coin, silver blade, guard) in the west while Volke was being ferried around getting the other 6. It still took mid 20s in turns to get all the items, kill nothing, recruit stefan, then carry stefan to the boss and have him kill the one thing in the game I let him kill (just glad that in the 2 times I did the chapter this way he never got blicked by the 3% chance of getting critted).

Then there are all the chests in chapter 13 as well where I think in order for Volke to get every single chest he has to move toward that goal every single turn and no enemies can get in his way. I don't even remember if it was possible for him to get them all before the ravens.

Oh shit this thread is serious? whoaaaaa sorry.

I don't know if it was ever intended to be serious. But since the topic title says "worst character" instead of least favourite or most hated or something similar, it was inevitable.

Wow I never knew so many people hated Rolf on this site... Well in my opinion and by persona... *gets shot*

I vote for Sothe because of blossom, him coming at level 1 in chapter 13 and since if you want him to survive fights in chapter 13 you need to give him BEXP. and if you do, you need even more because of Blossom. "Why don't we take off his skill?" is a good suggestion but that ruins his chances of ever surviving when alone. Rolf actually turns out better than Shinon even though it's really hard to get him to a level higher or equal than Shinon's. Sothe won't EVER become better than Volke unless you don't train Volke at all and not promote him and get Sothe to lvl. 20 with blossom, and give him a skill. I don't like him in this game anyways.

And to all who voted Mia: She is AT THE LEAST better than Rolf and Sothe for sure (which she is).

Hmm. Rhys or Sothe... Rhys is needed to heal early on but Sothe is only helpful to have around to speed things up, so I'll have to say Sothe.

I've used him. Plenty of times. And yeah, he has turned out good. But he's still a terrible character in general.

I say sothe

+ you can support rofl with loliver for massive damage

Rolf gets outclassed by every other fighter in almost every way, only Rolf has a hell of a lot more people he's competing with for his job.

And Sothe actually has an advantage on Volke in the form of possible support options.

Wow I never knew so many people hated Rolf on this site... Well in my opinion and by persona... *gets shot*

I'm pretty sure no one said they hated Rolf. Him being the worst =/= hated.

EDIT: After some serious discussion in the tier thread, we have a (possibly temporary) new winner of this title in Bastian.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Not just as few turns as possible. There's also wanting to get every item and not kill any laguz but the boss. Volke got most of the items for me, but for me the timing worked out better if Sothe got around 2 or 3 of the items (coin, silver blade, guard) in the west while Volke was being ferried around getting the other 6. It still took mid 20s in turns to get all the items, kill nothing, recruit stefan, then carry stefan to the boss and have him kill the one thing in the game I let him kill (just glad that in the 2 times I did the chapter this way he never got blicked by the 3% chance of getting critted).

Then there are all the chests in chapter 13 as well where I think in order for Volke to get every single chest he has to move toward that goal every single turn and no enemies can get in his way. I don't even remember if it was possible for him to get them all before the ravens.

All right, you've got a point there. But why wouldn't you kill anyone?

Volke can sure get them. My stratergy is to start from the west, then move over to the Daein ship and then return to the Begnion ship. Then you'll most likely have had enough time to kill the Daeins AND place your units around the remaining chests so that the ravens can not get to them. Since the ravens won't attack after Naesala orders them get the cargo, they'll just place themsleves as close to the chest as possible.

All right, you've got a point there. But why wouldn't you kill anyone?

bexp. Really the only reason. You get bexp for keeping all the laguz but the boss alive. Turns to clear Bexp is gone by turn 18, so turns don't matter beyond that point, but as you run around getting stuff laguz get drawn towards you sometimes, which usually result in about 4 or so attacking my characters in the south by the end of it. I think if I had to get Volke to get all the items it might not work out because if more laguz are drawn then there would be too many laguz attacking for Rhys and Mist to handle all the healing. Burning vulneraries might not work because the laguz do pretty good damage and in this game those things only heal 10 hp.

Even if you decide to kill the things, you lose bexp every turn after turn 7, so having Sothe getting items too means more bexp, considering Volke can't even get them all by turn 7 on his own. Since we are giving up on the bexp from leaving the things alive in this scenario, all the bexp salvaged is a good thing.

Volke can sure get them. My stratergy is to start from the west, then move over to the Daein ship and then return to the Begnion ship. Then you'll most likely have had enough time to kill the Daeins AND place your units around the remaining chests so that the ravens can not get to them. Since the ravens won't attack after Naesala orders them get the cargo, they'll just place themsleves as close to the chest as possible.

He gets all of them and doesn't risk getting swarmed on enemy phase? I might have to try that if I play this game again, then.

cant you let the ravens get the chests on the left then use rolfs bow to practically kill them

worked for me but dont know if PEMN when talking about tactics

cant you let the ravens get the chests on the left then use rolfs bow to practically kill them

worked for me but dont know if PEMN when talking about tactics

Except Volke or Sothe might have to steal it from them afterwards, though I don't remember if the stuff they pick up is droppable or not. Even if it is, if a raven gets two then one has to be stolen anyway. Plus there is apparently (according to HM enemy stats) a droppable coin on one of the ravens. If that one manages to grab a chest, then the chest item must be stolen. At this point, only Volke can, because Sothe won't have the speed, and even Volke won't against the 15 AS ravens, unless he's nabbed 5 levels in 2 and a bit chapters (ha!). So basically, letting one of them grab a chest might not be a good idea. As a result, we are basically looking at possibly needing to grab some of the chests before they show up. Sothe makes it easier. Plus Volke isn't getting any exp from opening chests, so since he'll need speed along the way to keep being able to steal stuff, it's a good idea to let him have a couple of turns being fed kills every chapter. Sothe frees Volke up for a couple of those turns.

Still, though, if chest items become droppable (I think they might) and you can keep the coin holding raven away from the chests, then your method might work. I think I once let a raven grab one chest then killed it.

Why do you care about coins?

Are you talking about chapter 13 or 15? In 13 it isn't about the coins, it's about the fact that if a raven has a droppable coin then if he grabs a chest item it won't be droppable, thus you have to steal the chest item from a 15 AS raven with a 14/15 AS Volke, aka not happening. So we care about the existence of that guy's coin very much if we want what's in the chest, even if we don't care about the coin itself.

If it's about chapter 15, then there are still 7 very spaced out non-coins for Volke to get on a 7 turn bexp map and no heron to vigor him. He is not getting all 7 in 7 turns. At least not without occupying both Marcia and Jill for 3 turns or more rescue/take/dropping him each turn. And maybe not even then.

Plus there's transfers. The GM's in RD could really use them to make better or cheaper forges in 3-2. But even if we don't care about transfers it doesn't matter because it's not just about the coins.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

bexp. Really the only reason. You get bexp for keeping all the laguz but the boss alive. Turns to clear Bexp is gone by turn 18, so turns don't matter beyond that point, but as you run around getting stuff laguz get drawn towards you sometimes, which usually result in about 4 or so attacking my characters in the south by the end of it. I think if I had to get Volke to get all the items it might not work out because if more laguz are drawn then there would be too many laguz attacking for Rhys and Mist to handle all the healing. Burning vulneraries might not work because the laguz do pretty good damage and in this game those things only heal 10 hp.

Even if you decide to kill the things, you lose bexp every turn after turn 7, so having Sothe getting items too means more bexp, considering Volke can't even get them all by turn 7 on his own. Since we are giving up on the bexp from leaving the things alive in this scenario, all the bexp salvaged is a good thing.

All right. I hardly use the bexp, so I didn't think of that. But that is a good reason.

He gets all of them and doesn't risk getting swarmed on enemy phase? I might have to try that if I play this game again, then.

Yep. If you just have someone skilled (like Mia or Titania) to take out the enemies on the western side of the map.

Except Volke or Sothe might have to steal it from them afterwards, though I don't remember if the stuff they pick up is droppable or not.

I can definitly tell you that the ravens drop that stuff once you kill them. I actually never used a different strategie to get to all the chests in time.

Edited by BrightBow-User

I can definitly tell you that the ravens drop that stuff once you kill them. I actually never used a different strategie to get to all the chests in time.

So then it's just the coin raven that needs to die before he can get to a chest. Or there needs to only be 2 chests available to ravens so that the ones not carrying a coin get them, and they need to be killed before either can grab another chest. I still think Sothe makes things easier, but he isn't required, obviously.

Liek the most immediately detrimental character in the game is Rolf, but thanks to his good supports and growth rates he doesn't suck forever.

The two most useless characters in the game overall are Lucia and Bastian basically, since they never become good and don't join with very good stats. I guess you could reason using them for the support factor...especially Bastian since there's Makalov and Volke who want to support him for sure.

Edited by A2ZOMG

I have to say Lethe. Every character I used was able to do the final chapter fine (yes even Rolf). For some reason, Lethe does not like me. Her transform gauge runs out too quickly too. So she gets my vote. :facepalm:

Very funny that you would suggest Lethe when she's one of the better units in this game. Earlygame nobody comes close to her except Titania and Mordecai. She's overpowering even your strongest beorc units like Boyd and Titania even when they wield Steel, and she's super fast.

Being an early transformer > being a late one before the demi band rolls around, so she's got quite a few chapters where she's super amazing, and she's still quite useful lategame since she's fast enough to DA even enemy swordmasters and Cats.

Jill is also sorta short on supports so fielding Lethe helps her a lot too. Especially since Jill's base hit is a bit low.

Fielding a laguz of course has other advantages like compressing your team and allowing fewer beorc units more flexibility with their weapon inventory by letting Laguz carry surplus items.

Edited by A2ZOMG

Liek the most immediately detrimental character in the game is Rolf, but thanks to his good supports and growth rates he doesn't suck forever.

The two most useless characters in the game overall are Lucia and Bastian basically, since they never become good and don't join with very good stats. I guess you could reason using them for the support factor...especially Bastian since there's Makalov and Volke who want to support him for sure.

Well, what you say is true, but honestly, who wants Rolf? Neither of the girls he supports want him, that's for sure. Especially Mist. There's Rhys, but the support gives crappy bonuses.

Well, what you say is true, but honestly, who wants Rolf? Neither of the girls he supports want him, that's for sure. Especially Mist. There's Rhys, but the support gives crappy bonuses.

He only needs B with anyone. Rhys is easy. Mist might be difficult, but Marcia is a possibility. She only has Tanith and Kieran. Both come later, and in Kieran's case, it's also slower and for the same bonuses. The only advantage to it is similar movement.

Brom's the speediest general in the game, and can actually double decently with some heavy KW usage. He's obviously very durable and also gives out sexy water bonuses. How can he even be close to worst unit in the game? Bastian loses to him in every imaginable parameter once they share common availability.