Upgrade to IPB 3

Jyosua

Do you have a staging area for skin testing? Was the plan to see if IPB3 would break before integrating skins?

Oh, and let me state this for the record: upgrading any forum is a bitch. Upgrading IPB at all is a bigger bitch. Upgrading IPB from 2.0 to 3.0 is one of the most painful experiences anyone can imagine. We had a custom skin at FESS when we ran IPB, and everytime we upgraded, it broke half the board, even for a point update. Invision is no help, either. "Oh, we don't support custom mods. By the way, your perpetual, $185 license is only perpetual if you pay $40 a year afterwards! We want your money, faggot!" So even without a skin, I have to say kudos to Josh for having a minimum of downtime and a minimum of issues, because trust me, this could have been IMMENSELY worse.

DOUBLE EDIT FOR JUSTICE: Josh, I can't stress how painful my experience with Invision support was. They wouldn't *touch* us because of my mods. One guy gave "unofficial" support... once. Steve was one of my admins then, if you remember, and he was root after we moved off of Invision. Mind, I had their full support, too. They simply just said "sorry, can't help you, why don't you try our third party forums?". They were useless. Ask Dale whenever you talk to him again.

So stop getting so fucking defensive, eh? For Christ's sake.

I knew coming into this that the old skins would not work - reskinning everything was the plan from the start. I made an extra backup right before I did the upgrade, just in case. As far as a staging area, we're going to duplicate the current skin and modify it to our liking, but keep it invisible while we're testing it. That's how we made skins on the old version as well.

I'm not sure why you guys had so much trouble with support. Every time I've opened a ticket, they've been very, very responsive and helpful, and my issue was escalated to the developers themselves, whom ended up fixing the problem personally. This is despite the fact they knew we had mods. As far as the fees, the renewal fee is just for upgrades and support. I'm surprised I even actually needed to use support.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you reply to PMs anymore?

Old PMs you might have trouble doing that with. New PMs you shouldn't have a problem with.

I noted that all quote boxes from before the move are deconstructed, making reading earlier conversations a pain in the ass.

In any event, I find the upgrade nice enough, all problems aside.

Nope, only those used by naked quote tags are deconstructed. Otherwise, if you click "Reply" then it's fine.

Either way the former is a pain in the ass.

Edited by Lord Raven

However, we will need to make new skins, so for a little while we'll be stuck with this skin.

Why don't you read before you post, CrashGordon94?

Why don't you read before you post, CrashGordon94?

I did, it's not good enough.

I want it back to normal NOW!

We seem to have gained NOTHING from this change, and it gives us a crap skin and fucks up quoteboxes.

No way is that worth it!

We seem to have gained NOTHING from this change, and it gives us a crap skin and fucks up quoteboxes.

No way is that worth it!

You are a genius and we are all retarded. I can't believe none of us thought of this before you. You truly deserve to be recognized as one of the finest contributors to Serenes Forest.

No way is that worth it!

Oh damn that's right, I forgot: the world revolves around you.

Our apologies.

No way is that worth it!

Congratulations on proving how damn clueless you are.

No way is that worth it!

Let me put it this way, and I'll do this as nicely as humanly possible:

You are not intelligent or knowledgeable enough to understand why this change was made. Since you don't seem to give a shit about learning, I'll leave it at that. But yes, you do enjoy your temper tantrum.

No way is that worth it!

reactionimage.jpg