Dialogue changes II (spoilers)

(For reference, here's the old topic, although its kind of redundant.)

After experiencing the Japanese script first, I was quite surprised at some of the differences in the English version.

On the plus side, NOA improved the Dawn Brigade's dialogue in general; I didn't really pay attention to Part 1 much, but I did notice a few extra lines here and there. Not to mention they added four new base conversations related to the Dawn Brigade characters. The quality of the English translation is also pretty good, as usual.

On the bad side, however...

One of the main features in this game is that there are two slightly different scripts, depending on whether you're playing Normal or Hard(/Maniac) mode. The Hard mode script is slightly more detailed than the Normal mode script. Or at least it was in the Japanese version. In the English version, all modes use the same script, which is perhaps a good thing... Until you realise they decided to use the Japanese version's Normal mode script.

So, what exactly are English fans missing out on? Well, you could take a peek for yourselves here at the chapters marked with a cross (+) and compared the "Regular" and "Extended" scripts. The regular script is the one you see in the English version, while the extended one is partially translated from the Japanese version's Hard mode script. Briefly looking, I'd say you're losing out on perhaps a dozen lines per chapter. The Part 2 Endgame interrogation is also more detailed in the extended script (and where the title "Of Countries and Kings" is meant to allude to).

The script differences only apply to the event dialogue though - battle, village and Talk conversations are the same.

I also noticed NOA seems to have a habit of omitting trivial, but perhaps interesting references. Did they think we didn't care or simply didn't have enough space? I don't know. In any case, I'm not sure of everything they've omitted since I haven't read both scripts in full, but this page includes all the ones that I do know.

Finally, before I forget, Ike's battle conversation with the Black Knight in Part 3 Chapter 7 was slightly altered in the English version.

English version:

Ike: So, you are alive. Somehow, I knew it wasn't over yet.

Black Knight: Of course it wasn't over. You were a boy trying to live up to the memory of the greatest swordsman in history.

Ike: And yet, I was the one who walked out of the castle that day.

Black Knight: You have your father to thank for that. When you told me that he had crippled himself, I realized that I had never fought him at all, merely his shadow.

Ike: What are you getting at?

Black Knight: I saw immediately that you were not your father's equal, but that one day you might be. So I did the only thing I could to keep you alive... I let you win.

Ike: ...You did, didn't you? I've relived that fight so many times... How could I not have seen it before?

Black Knight: You were not yet capable of seeing it. But I had to let you live, so that you could continue to train and perhaps one day be worthy of Gawain's legacy. My armor's blessing is gone, let us see if that day is today.

Ike: I promise you that it will be. Begin.

Japanese version:

Ike: So you are still alive...

Black Knight: Did you believe that you could kill me with that level of swordsmanship?

Ike: ! What do you mean by that!?

Black Knight: ......Let me tell you something. I wasn't the same when I fought your father, Gawain, and when I fought you.

Ike: Are you saying you're two different people?

Black Knight: That's not what I meant. But... due to problems during my teleportation, only my spirit and armour arrived and not my body... so my fighting ability was greatly reduced.

Ike: ...What are you now?

Black Knight: Body... So that means, I'm different from when we fought at Nados Castle. Also, let me tell you some more good news. My armour's blessing... that was lost at the end of our previous battle.

Ike: So that means, I can harm you even with normal weaponry. That's definitely good news to me. Since that time, 3 years have passed- I'm different from what I was back then. Come try me!!

Both are pretty similar, yet quite different.

In the English version the Black Knight is pretty much saying "You won, but I let you win", while the Japanese version has him say "You won, but not against the real me".

I'm thinking that they thought the whole deal about the warp powder malfunctioning was incredibly corny (especially as a get out), so they altered it.

Now that I'm done, if anybody knows of other changes or anything suspicious, feel free to inform me ^^

Edited by VincentASM

Great topic, I always like to see the extra stuff like this in a game. It's a shame that NoA didn't just translate the Hard Mode dialogue themselves and put it in the game. Really, why would anyone complain about more dialogue? To me that sounds like stuffing the game with value.

Then again, I've watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended edition. So I may not be quite normal...or sane for that matter.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, first post lulz.

The PAL version actually fixed some of these. It has already been mentioned in the old topic that the "Heron Queen Lillia" got fixed but they also fixed the part where Rolf says he is not realated with Boyd and Oscar.

This is from http://www.serenesforest.net/fe10/3_2_1.html

Rolf:

I... I do love you, Boyd. We fight all the time, and we might not be related, but you're my real brother.

The PAL version says:

Rolf:

I... I do love you, Boyd. We fight all the time, but we're family, you're my brother.

I am really wondering how they came up with the "not related" part in the first place.

Edited by BrightBow-User

lol we are not related but you are my real brother :lol: what a contradiction

You read Eragon yet, buddy?

Technically, Rolf is Boyd's half-brother, but they were both raised like brothers. Thus, Rolf considers Boyd his brother because of how close they are to each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
lol we are not related but you are my real brother :lol: what a contradiction

You read Eragon yet, buddy?

Technically, Rolf is Boyd's half-brother, but they were both raised like brothers. Thus, Rolf considers Boyd his brother because of how close they are to each other.

yes i do understand what rolf means.

and no i never read eragon,too long

• 1 month later...

Right before the group enters the Tower of Guidance in a base conversation, I thought this was a little odd.

Kurthnaga: Nasir, I need to know something. Why has Goldoa sided with Goddess

Ashera!? What is Father thinking? The laguz and beorc have joined together

to save the petrified. Why hasn't Goldoa joined the effort?

Nasir: As you wish. Lady Almedha... Are you aware of the fact that everything

that's happening is due to your decision to leave Goldoa?

Almedha: ...What?

Kurthnaga: Explain, Nasir.

Nasir: King Dheginsea forbade the dragon tribe to use our transformation for

the purpose of war. Almedha, you left because you did not agree with this

policy, did you not?

That "As you wish." clause just seems a little wierd and out of place, almost as if Nasir is kind of ignoring him? Can someone check up on that?

Edited by Simon

• 3 weeks later...

The PAL version actually fixed some of these. It has already been mentioned in the old topic that the "Heron Queen Lillia" got fixed but they also fixed the part where Rolf says he is not realated with Boyd and Oscar.

Oops, my mistake. I prefer to get the... Seraph Robe (?) from the house rather then a Base conversation, so I've never read the conversation in the PAL version ^^;

• 2 months later...

I play the Japanese version (which I think is not as good as the localised version in terms of gameplay) and I'll talk about the Japanese version here.

Serenes Herons

In the class description and glossary, the references to Reyson, Rafiel, Leanne and Lillia being the #th prince/princess of Serenes was removed. For those interested, Rafiel was the first prince, Reyson the third prince, Leanne the fourth princess and Lillia the third princess.

I think Lillia's description is a typo. Lillia has been referred to Reyson's older sister, and I think she should be the 2nd princess and they don't seem to follow the Japanese way of sibling age rank numbering (which separates sons and daughters).

Adding in the fact that they stopped wondering if there is anyone else from the family available after the three met, my take is that there's really only just four siblings.

Hero of the Blue Flames

This was Ike's ending title in the Japanese version, which I think appeared in the "Fin" image. It's kind of sad the main hero didn't get a title for himself in the end, especially one that tied up with the main theme of the two Tellius games.

The first time you play the game, Ike's title did not appear like everyone else's (his part showed merely "Ike" at first). But it was shown in the text along with the "Fin" image.

I think Lillia's description is a typo. Lillia has been referred to Reyson's older sister, and I think she should be the 2nd princess and they don't seem to follow the Japanese way of sibling age rank numbering (which separates sons and daughters).

Adding in the fact that they stopped wondering if there is anyone else from the family available after the three met, my take is that there's really only just four siblings.

I haven't checked it in Japanese, but in FE9, Leanne mentions that her sisters put her to sleep using their galldr. Which means she probably had at least one other sister besides Lillia.

I haven't checked it in Japanese, but in FE9, Leanne mentions that her sisters put her to sleep using their galldr. Which means she probably had at least one other sister besides Lillia.

Without any conclusive proof from the in-game text or any official release from Nintendo or IS, I got the impression that there were something like 10-15 princes/princesses of the heron royal family. Of course, seeing as though Leanne was an infant during the Serenes massacre and was the fourth princess, it was probably closer to 7-10.

• 3 weeks later...
I play the Japanese version (which I think is not as good as the localised version in terms of gameplay) and I'll talk about the Japanese version here.

I know this post is from a while ago, but...would you be willing to share the gameplay differences? (or is there another thread which lists gameplay differences?)

• 5 months later...

I like the english version of the Black Knight convo better, as A), the Japanese one sets precedents that were never seen again (you'd think that Lekain'd eventually have a similar problem, seeing as how he uses that stuff), and it also sheds more light on Zelgius's character.

Lekain uses a warp staff instead of warp powder, iirc, which doesn't wear the user down.

But that aside, I also like the holding back explanation better. It makes more sense if he saw that Ike wasn't at his best yet and took it easy on him so that he might grow stronger one day.

Eh? No, I was saying in the cutscenes.... at least the one in Pelleas's flashbacks. I don't remember him using a staff then, and if he was, then please disregard what i just said as pig crap.

I'm sort of glad somebody bumped this thread. I remembered something a while ago, but ultimately forgot to mention it.

I haven't read the whole scenario yet, but it seems the blood pact works slightly differently in the Japanese version. At the end of Part 4 Endgame 1, even after Lekain is killed and Naesala retrieves Kilvas's blood pact, the curse still isn't completely removed.

Micaiah

King Pelleas! This is it!

Pelleas

The blood pact!

Sothe

I pried this from Lekain's dead fingers. But there's two of them... Isn't this one Daein's?

Pelleas

This is it... But the other one...

Naesala

Oh! That one is mine!

Sothe

King Naesala.

Pelleas

...Kilvas as well?

Naesala

Yeah, that's right. With this... Kilvas and Daein are finally free. Congratulations.

Pelleas

What? Please tell me... how can I revoke the blood pact?

Naesala

You can do what you want with it... Burn it, rip it, whatever takes your fancy. Since Lekain died once, the proof of the pact had already weakened right? Once the blood pact is destroyed, the markings should disappear at the same time.

Pelleas

Thank you, I am eternally in your debt.

Sothe

What are you going to do from now on?

Naesala

Eh?

Sothe

From what you just said, your proof is still...

Naesala

Oh, my situation is a little different. Lekain's death won't have any effect. Still, so long as I possess the blood pact... I'm sure one day we'll be saved.

Sothe

Huh?

Naesala

Anyway, the job is only halfway done. The goddess is still ahead.

The part about Lekain having died once, I believe refers to his petrification at the very beginning of Part 4. At least that's what I remember from translating parts of the game during the game's Japanese release.

I also noticed the ending of Part 3 Chapter 13 is slightly different. It seems to focus more on Micaiah and Sothe's relationship.

Daein Soldier

The inner gate has been breached! It's only a matter of time before they break through the inner walls.

Micaiah

Gather the soldiers into the inner wall! I'll head there straight away!

Daein Soldier

Understood!

Sothe

The Apostle's Army led by Commander Ike sure is something... We couldn't even manage to hold the castle...

Micaiah

We tried our best though.

Sothe

Micaiah

How strange. It sure is quiet right now...

Sothe

Micaiah...

Micaiah

Yune, come over here.

(Yune flies to Micaiah's shoulder)

Micaiah

Daein is going to fall... It will disappear under the heavy weight of another country... That is how this country ends.

Micaiah

Yet, even so... [King Pelleas was our only sacrifice and] it's better than the blood pact snatching lives slowly one by one. Battle after battle... 'til we're outside death's doorstep, we've been able to experience life's sensation... Although we ought to apologise for dragging the Apostle's Army with us.

Sothe

In the end... It's their fault for allowing the senate to do as they pleased. As we clashed blades, it was nice to think this war was their punishment.

Micaiah

Sothe, you...

Micaiah

Yune, you may go.

(Yune flies away)

Micaiah

Thank you... for accompanying me up to now.

Sothe

What's it doing? It just left without looking back. In the past, when you tried to make it go away it would always return to your side.

Micaiah

It's a clever child... It knows what I meant.

Sothe

But, isn't that just a little heartless?

Micaiah

I have Sothe, that's already enough...

Sothe

...Yeah. It is enough.

Micaiah

Then... Let us depart.

But that aside, I also like the holding back explanation better. It makes more sense if he saw that Ike wasn't at his best yet and took it easy on him so that he might grow stronger one day.

Well, I for my part don't like this version much since I see a few problems with it:

For once, you can't just allow yourself to be beaten in a sword fight against a man who wants to kill you. If the Black Knight would have allowed Ike to defeat him he would have died, unless he would warp away before that happens. But the BK said that the sole reason he let Ike beat him was that he (Ike) would survive the encounter. If the BK had a way to escape then he wouldn't have to fight Ike at all and risk dieing in the process.

Also the Black Knight admitted in Part 1 to Sothe that Ike did indeed defeat him "in a fashion". And I can see how defeating the BK's spirit in a armor would count as defeating him "in a fashion" but with the "I let you win" version? Not so much, from my perspective.

And last: If the Black Knight was indeed in his armor when the castle collapsed, then he would have died or at last he would have gotten injured that badly, that he wouldn't have gotten himself out of the way, before Bastian's man would have found him.

Of course, the Japanese version has it's own share of problems but my intend was to point out my problem with this version of the script rather then making a actual comparison between those 2.

Edited by BrightBow-User

• 7 months later...

I'm sort of glad somebody bumped this thread. I remembered something a while ago, but ultimately forgot to mention it.

I haven't read the whole scenario yet, but it seems the blood pact works slightly differently in the Japanese version. At the end of Part 4 Endgame 1, even after Lekain is killed and Naesala retrieves Kilvas's blood pact, the curse still isn't completely removed.

The part about Lekain having died once, I believe refers to his petrification at the very beginning of Part 4. At least that's what I remember from translating parts of the game during the game's Japanese release.

Wow! I've never heard that version before! Thank you for bringing it to attention!

But I'm confused... why won't it work for Naesala? :( Except for what you said, could it be that he changed employer from Lekian to Sanaki?

• 6 months later...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Naesala who signed Kilvas' blood pact; it was the previous king of Kilvas, and Naesala just inherited the pact when the previous king died (just as Micaiah inherits Pelleas' pact if Pelleas dies).

At least, that king in the picture as Lekain told Pelleas about Kilvas' blood pact didn't look much like Naesala...