FE4 First Generation Tier List

Tier List

Standards used:

The four ranks, which are Tactics, Combat, Survival, and Experience.

Giving a character a ring needs to have a very good justification. Otherwise, they won't be considered at all.

Sigurd

Levin

High

Lex

Aira

Brigid

Jamka

Sylvia

Upper Mid

Fin

Ethlin

Holyn

Beowulf

Fury

Aideen

Lower Mid

Alec

Cuan

Lachesis

Azel

Dew

Midir

Noish

Claude

Low

Tiltyu

Ardan

Deirdre

There cannot be debate about Sigurd being lower. Immediate access to weapon triangle, a promoted horse, and excellent durability makes him damn good unit. Why superior to Levin, however? Well, first, Sigurd exists for the whole first generation while Levin does not come around until the capture of Herihein, and he has to tarry killing Mountain Thieves, unless you want Sylvia(lol) to get all the kills. Second, Sigurd has superior move, which allows him to get to the action more quickly.

Levin, one must remember this, does not become a god-like beast until he gets Holsety, which occurs when he enters Silesia castle(Turn 30 of the chapter, perhaps?). Up until that time, he is just a magic user with very good, but not invincible dodge and a not so consistent record killing things.

Tiltyu, while it may be a tad counterintuitive, is only useful for killing off the pirates. She's practically useless in chapter 4 and she has to promote in Chapter 5 so she's not useless in that chapter.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Azel should be ranked a bit higher. I mean, Fire Magic isn't that bad, despite its weight, and Azel shouldn't be getting attacked anyway. Not at least until he's promoted.

I'd say Lachesis should go up, but then she's really hard to level, so maybe not.

I am quite aware of the fact that Azel gets Thunder in Chapter 2. His low move, inability to use staves, and poor durability are what prevents him from going higher. All three factors hinders the speed at which he gains experience.

The units above him all either have more durability or can do something he can't(use staves or dance). I'm even contemplating wedging Midir inbetween Lachesis and Azel or putting him higher than both of them since he's useable from the get-go.

In my experience Lachesis, I have only been able to have Lachesis as a Master Knight starting at the beginning of Chapter 4/end of Chapter 3, so she's essentially a power fighter for only two chapters. She can use staves to level up quite easily, especially with the Elite Ring, but she's still only a fighter for two chapters. Still, I think Lachesis vs. Cuan is still open to debate.

Sigurd

Levin

Eh, I can agree with this if by top you mean really super awesome with no real flaws at all.

High

Lex

Aira

Brigid

Jamka

Sylvia

Snipers to Mid, please. Jamka's own combat is amazing, but it only exists on player phase, which is only half of the game. Same for Brigid, except she's also helping your army for only 3 chapters as opposed to everyone else here.

Upper Mid

Fin

Ethlin

Holyn

Beowulf

Fury

Aideen

Fin can go to high in my opinion, he is just so crucial for the tactics rank with his Hero Lance. His offense comes close to and sometimes even surpasses that of your top tiers. Plus, he helps EXP by having access to a big load of arena's, so other people can grow better.

If you're doing orders within tiers, Beowulf definitely at the lower edge. His skills are good, but his stats are only meh and he has a hard time catching up and really wrecking arena's. Aideen always has staves and Fury has them after promotion, plus she's essential for some villages and other jobs.

Lower Mid

Alec

Cuan

Lachesis

Azel

Dew

Midir

Noish

Claude

Lachesis can move up imo. She's very easy to staffwhore even with a tactics rank because she can use the Return Staff (Ethlin's gonna leave soon anyway) and she can even borrow the Elite Ring if needed since she has the money for it thanks to the Knight Ring. Alec can move up a few notches, perhaps even to Upper Mid or Lower High, he is actually good during Prologue and Ch1. Then he is kind of okay during the next few chapters. Mount + Pursuit + swords automatically means you're worth more than this imo. Don't really care where the rest ends up..

Low

Tiltyu

Ardan

Deirdre

Dew can go here too for all I care but meh.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing Tiltyu is good for most of the time (when she'll be an underlevelled thunder mage) is positioning her to get hit just once (enemies can do this with ease no thanks to thunder tomes' weight) so she can either OHKO or reduce to critical HP herself on all player phases afterwards, who knows? Bleh. This has obvious application on her joining chapter, but it becomes dubious afterwards..........she can't even make Wrath really make her score many points.

Apart from that, she'll be lucky if she ever gets to boast a lot of staff utility or Continues activating as a mage fighter......and in either case, that's only happening on the Langbart/Reptor map.

I'm also surprised Lex is so high since he can't double attack.

The brave axe will bestow 100% Continue which rocks Pursuit's socks off, and only Lex can get it in first generation at an early stage.

You don't have a better unit to keep it on. It's not as if Ardan will prove deserving of it in any way or Lachesis will need it after promotion when she can easily clean house with silver instead.

-top tier-

Sigurd

Levin

-high tier-

Lex

Ayra

Sylvia

Fury

Beowulf

Holyn

Jamuka

Brigid

-mid tier-

Cuan

Lachesis

Alec

Finn

Ethlin

Aideen

Midir

Azel (fire magic and low movement for 20 levels on ginormous maps manage to hurt how he stacks up to others a lot :( )

Noish

Claude

Dew

-low tier-

Tiltyu

Deirdre

Ardan

and Azel shouldn't be getting attacked anyway

I'm not too deep into the game, but I've seen packs of archers and bandits with hand axes in extremely large numbers. I don't see how you could position Azel wtihout getting counterattacked. It's almost impossible, unless you let him hit the last unit in the bunch.

And I agree that his low movement should be a severe penalty due to the size of the chapters.

This is coming from a guy who loves magic users, but even I gotta agree that Azel is lower mid.

• 3 weeks later...

Tilt is trash on par with Deirdre, dude. Mediocre magic stat + low movement + way underlevelled - Pursuit = almost completely worthless and never particularly helpful. At least Midir can keep up with all the better units so he's decently levelled and he often double attacks. The map directly following her joining chapter is wind magic orgy.

Tilt sucks. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Tilt gains pursuit promoted

WTF? Continue's keyed to the mage fighter class, not Pursuit. Tiltyu just happens to fucking suck so much it doesn't really end up amounting to much of an an improvement for her after promotion.

Yes, Midir is very very painfully average on the whole and he's locked to a bad class and weapon type, but he's mounted, he doesn't have to be at critical HP himself to bring enemies to critical HP unpromoted, and he can blow fliers away without risking counters. There's no point in leaving him behind when you can bring every unit you get on every map you get either, 24 is nuts. Unless you're doing it for 'pure speed' like SDA.net's Molotov, maybe, but then his FE runs to date don't impress me (if they were all played single-segment, for ranks, and on the very hardest modes, I'm sure they could).

• 3 months later...

I generally bench Midir in favor of the vastly superior Jamka. Midir is a decent hit and run unit, but other than that I don't care for him. I keep Azel around if only because I like Mage Knights.

But, hey, that's just me.

I've only just started, but I've found Azel and Midir to be rather good....Will I likely drop them?

Dunno, IMO, every character is decently usable. By the end of 1st Gen, the majority of my units were in the mid-20's to 30. This is my tier list, BTW.

Top Tier

Sigurd

Levin

Brigid

Ayra

Lex

High Tier

Sylvia

Ethlin

Jamuka

Holyn

Alec

Fin

Fury

Beowulf

Mid Tier

Cuan

Azel

Lachesis

Noishe

Edain

Dew

Midale

Claude

Low Tier

Tiltyu

Dierdre

Arden

Alec's kind of weak, Claude's kind of good and Beowulf's kind of awesome.

I let these lists get to me too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigurd

Levin

High

Sylvia

Lex

Aira

Holyn

Fin

Fury

Upper Mid

Brigid

Jamka

Ethlin

Aideen

Lachesis

Beowulf

Alec

Lower Mid

Cuan

Azel

Claude

Midir

Noish

Low

Tiltyu

Dew

Diedre

Ardan

imo

Edited by Lamer

Tilt's probably pretty low down there because she comes in late, underleveled. I do think she's at least better than Dew, though, since she actually starts out with a weapon that can kill people and Wrath.