Your Favorite Game.

Fox

It's hard to choose between this and the first one.

198844_52980_front.jpg

Excellent choice. The second one was fucking EPIC. Never got to play the first, though. How was that? Third one was interesting enough, but I never got that far into it because I didn't own it, doh.

ape-escape537133.jpg

First game I wanted 100% in. I would pour so many hours into it too. I remember getting to the final level, only to have my memory card get corrupted...

Same shit happened to me. I actually BEAT the final level, I just needed to get all of the goddamn monkeys. And then memory card got fucking corrupted. I was so pissed off that I never played it again for YEARS until I borrowed it from someone I just befriended upon moving (she is now one of my best friends in this state).

You all have awesome games. You're all amazing.

Favorite game for me is not a toughie, though:

mgs1cover.jpg

Almost ten years of being a ridiculously obsessed fan now. :D

And I still haven't played MGS4, jesus christ. Solid Snake is displeased.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

One of my favorite childhood games, my brother got me into it. I've played this game so much I memorized the first and second disc haha. I started a new game recently and I am now on to the end. This game brings back many nostalgic memories.

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

One of my favorite childhood games, my brother got me into it. I've played this game so much I memorized the first and second disc haha. I started a new game recently and I am now on to the end. This game brings back many nostalgic memories.

That was my first Final Fantasy game and that was probably my first RPG ever. You win.

This thread's just ageing me. "Final Fantasy 8 was my first RPG!"

Jesus. My first RPG was Ultima III, and the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are what hooked me for good.

To date myself, I got Final Fantasy when it was published in America in 1990. Most of you weren't *ALIVE* in 1990. Holy shit this is breaking my head.

Edited by Superbus

This thread's just ageing me. "Final Fantasy 8 was my first RPG!"

Jesus. My first RPG was Ultima III, and the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are what hooked me for good.

To date myself, I got Final Fantasy when it was published in America in 1990. Most of you weren't *ALIVE* in 1990. Holy shit this is breaking my head.

Don't worry, some of us still cling to the Old Gods ;) --my first RPG was Dragon Quest 3, although, admittedly it was significantly after it's inception.

Edited by Le Communard

Holy sh*t. My FAVORITE game?

Well, there are many that stick out in my mind no doubt about it.

Pokemon GSC, Paper Mario 64, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, MGS4, etc.

But the GREATEST game IMO?

BioShock. It has better overall reviews than the ORIGINAL Perfect Dark, ALL Metal Gears save Solid, every single Final Fantasy game ever, ever Call of Duty ever; it even beat Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I mean, f*ck. The only FPS's that beat it are Halo 1, Half-Life 2, and Goldeneye. It's even getting itself a movie deal, regardless of quality, and is having one of the biggest hypes in history with its sequel.

What does that tell you?

Review scores aren't very accurate sometimes, though. Take TP, NGamer gave it 97%, Famitsu gave it a 38/40 and according to metacritic it got, on average, 95% after compiling the average from 73 reviews. TP is nowhere near that good, even gamespot got it a tad high (They gave it an 8.8/10).

Bioshock got 95% on the 360 from gamerankings, who used 76 reviews to compile that average. This is the same score that gears 1 received according to Moby games. Halo 2 also ties it with 95% from 112 ratings. So idk where you got best game from. Plus, Halo has inspired various novels.

Edited by kirsche

YOU ARE A FA-

*Shot*

Bioshock is certainly better than one would describe. Agreed that Twilight Princess was overrated, but Bioshock has lost appreciation over the years for overrated crap like Halo 3 and Gears of War 2. Don't get me wrong, screens filled with mud, bullets, and blood satisfy me enough for an hour, but Bioshock can do so much more.

1. Atmosphere- After a plane crash, not to mention the sole survivor, you find yourself on a secluded bathysphere, nobody even SLIGHTLY aware of your location or predicament. You enter the sphere and find yourself in an underwater dystopia, run down by drugged up psychopaths with a single-minded track towards killing you. Worse yet, you're surrounded by them in a 1960's universe with "It Had To Be You" playing in the background, sneaking around with only a wrench, being watched by the city's current tyrant, and tracking a little girl gone creepy ghoul and being guarded by her giant aqua-warrior with a serious penchant for drilling people in the face. Somehow get past THAT monster, you make a choice between humanity and survival...

Do I need to continue? Because after that comparison with other shooters, it's eerie, it's creepy. And the worst part, the SCARIEST part- is that it is all possible.

2. Characters- You can't really walk around in Rapture, the dystopia's name, without running into a psycho character muttering about meat logs or into an iron defender. But it isn't just the guys you fill holes in. It's the major characters too. Atlas, the man who wants his family back. Tenenbaum, the Nazi prison camp scientist. Andrew Ryan, the visionary tyrant of Rapture. Everyone in Rapture has a sort of taste to them, whether its the psycho around the corner or if its the head honcho of your problems.

3. Plot- Speaking of major characters, the plot introduces something we haven't seen much in games before at the time- a choice that affects not only us, but the environment around us. You're presented with a dilemma; these littler girls, or "Little Sisters," contain something called Adam, which enables the people of Rapture to use their super powers, or plasmids. They're guarded by giant iron behemoths called "Big Daddies" whom you must destroy in order to get to the Little Sister. In that case, you have two choices- either harvest the Little Sister, gaining much Adam but killing her in the process, or you remove the Adam from her, gaining little Adam, but you turn the Little Sister to normal again. People on both sides argue you to do what they wish. The noise, the fighting, it almost makes you forget the big picture.

As soon as you arrive in Rapture, your guide named Atlas radios you through your first rocky steps in Rapture, and even gets you your first plasmid. However, things don't take too long before you're nearly killed by a squad of psychos sent by Andrew Ryan, believing you to be an agent of some sort of agency. After a narrow escape, you meet Tenebaum, creator of the Little Sisters, who urges you to rescue the sisters by draining a minimal amount of Adam from her, but it will turn her back to normal in the process; much to the chagrin of Atlas, who explains that these "things" aren't human anymore, monsters made by man. Whatever you choose, it advances the plot differently as you get closer and closer to Atlas's family and Ryan... then things go straight to Hell. I won't go any further, but there's a twist you will never forget. Do yourselves a favor and turn captions off.

4. Physics- How many first person shooters can you name where you can kill someone via flaming teddy bear? Or name more than one other than Bioshock where you can kill someone by shooting a corpse at them? In Bioshock, possibilities are somewhat endless. And the physics make it seem more pretty. Or if you get a face-full of psycho crowbar, it's very ugly: they make the citizens of Rapture look as deformed as possible due to their plasmid abuse.

I'd go on, but it's 4:00 A.M. right now, and frankly, I am tired. So would you kindly just wait for tomorrow's reply to tonight's possible reply?

I saw that review too.

"Unforgiving difficulty?" Try to suck less at games. I lost all hope for them when they fired Jeff Gerstmann after his review for Kane & Lynch.

Money-grubbing fucks are turning into IGN.

Anyone who uses Metacritic as a means to justify a "best" game of all time is automatically unqualified to be in the discussion. Reviews are the least scientific measure you can think of for a conversation that people are trying to make scientific. I - a professional writer, remember? - would have killed Bioshock in a review. Why? Because the PC version (assuming that's the version I reviewed) had SecuROM. That affects the game's playability, and to not score things like that is to either be willfully ignorant, or to have your marketing department write the review for you. Neither is acceptable, and those reviews you refer to are in either category. It's silly to use Metacritic because the fellationary 10s and my angry 6 (out of 10, a six still isn't a bad score at all on our scale) are all in the scale.

It's all an opinion, and no one's opinion means more than anyone else's. Though Oliver's fanboyishness is a bit disturbing.

Since I kind of named Bioshock as well it's story time.

When Bioshock was released I was visiting a friend of mine who had just gotten a 360 and the game. I had heard about Bioshock and despite being pretty suspicious due its heavy hype I wanted to give it a spin. So the game starts. Plane crashes to water, the guy rises to surface. A while later my friend asks "why are you just standing still?". All that time I thought it was an FMV and the game looked so stunning I had no idea it was the actual graphics in the game.

I'm not really the one to run after graphics but first impressions are important. And that was a lasting impression. Excellent use of lighting on Ryan's slogan just further ahead seemed like nothing after being to the ocean elevator ride. At this point I was sold. I got it off Steam, got frustrated by copy protections but eventually managed to enjoy the game that didn't disappoint even during the final moments.

Needless and needlessly long rant about my experiences with PC games of late.

That was also the last new game I played on my PC as I realized that 360 has basically all the games I want to play and instead of all the ridiculous shit you have to do with the PC I can just put the game in a 360 and play it. Immediately. I've had horrible experiences with 360 games on PC anyway. Aside Bioshock I had to manually edit Mass Effect's config files to make the game look something not from the original Playstation and it didn't even fix the light effects that my relatively new graphics card apparently didn't like even after updating to the latest drivers. With the first Penny Arcade Adventures I had to manually edit the damn save files because the game was so buggy when released it just didn't progress any further. This always made you miss some of the "plot" too but at least you could move forward. Lost Planet was another game so full of bugs I'm surprised I ever managed to watch the ending sequence without a crash. The list goes on.

Ha ha. I believe Bioshock was heavily bought on the 360. I never trust the PC nowadays, maybe its the online panophobia. Either way, PC for me is bleh.

And lolmetacritic.

And I'm sorry if I sound fanboyish- I just happen to like this one game very much and wish to have other people play it as well. And if platform is your issue, then try it out on Xbox 360- gameplay is seamless as long as it isn't a used copy. Needless to say...

Plot- Speaking of major characters, the plot introduces something we haven't seen much in games before at the time- a choice that affects not only us, but the environment around us. You're presented with a dilemma; these littler girls, or "Little Sisters,"

So what exactly happens with this. If I harvest little sisters instead of saving them, does the plot change or do I get a different ending? or what?

Edited by burning_phoneix

Plot- Speaking of major characters, the plot introduces something we haven't seen much in games before at the time- a choice that affects not only us, but the environment around us. You're presented with a dilemma; these littler girls, or "Little Sisters,"

So what exactly happens with this. If I harvest little sisters instead of saving them, does the plot change or do I get a different ending? or what?

I think it's just a different ending and how different that one person treats you (forgot her name) but you still do the same thing even if you didn't consume them.