Most over rated fire emblem character

Oujay

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who says Sophia is good in any way overrates her.

Fanboys say differently.

Fanboys aren't talking about her stats.

It's unfortunate, but I've seen some who did.

Personal experience means everything when the character has boobs.

Female units aren't the only ones that receive this treatment.

I've noticed Archers/Wyverns/Myrmidons/Assasins generally get overhyped more than other classes regardless of gender.

Although Peg Knights and Valkyries get hyped a lot too, so you might have a point there.

Anyone who says Sophia is good in any way overrates her.

Fanboys say differently.

Fanboys aren't talking about her stats.

It's unfortunate, but I've seen some who did.

Personal experience means everything when the character has boobs.

Eh?

sofiya.png

True. I've seen Edward get it quite a lot. It still baffles many why Edward has such a fanbase

Although Peg Knights and Valkyries get hyped a lot too, so you might have a point there.

That's a pretty broad statement. I don't see anyone hyping characters like Yuno and Syrene, and Valkyries are pretty scarce to begin with.

I've noticed Archers/Wyverns/Myrmidons/Assasins generally get overhyped more than other classes regardless of gender.

Assassin isn't so bad anymore though. Or it only applies in certain games. Archers seem to get underhyped sometimes IMO unless it's FE10 Shinon.

@Red Fox: The book is covering them! It's massive I tell you!

Edited by Colonel M

And Dancers. Don't forget Dancers.

I'm still baffled why Edward is so popular. He's... so generic. His design doesn't really seem to stand out at all. Are people attracted to his averageness? I just don't get it.

That's a pretty broad statement. I don't see anyone hyping characters like Yuno and Syrene, and Valkyries are pretty scarce to begin with.

I agree that Yuno/Syrene receive little praise, but often mid level Peg Knights get this, Tana for example.

Valkyries are rare, but I've seen lots of people overrate Mist in both games and Priscilla to a lesser extent.

Assassins are also rare, but Volke tends to get overrated in both games and Jaffar suffers from this a lot as well. Compared to the number of assassins available, there's a lot of hype going around.

Archers-- Lots of people overrate Rebecca, Gordin, Wolt, and FE9 Rolf IMO, not just FE10 Shinon. These all have pretty poor starts and a generally bad class, and only some of them have good growths anyway.

@Renall I think it's his good growth spread. Edward does turn out to be a good unit, but in Hard Mode it just isn't worth the effort usually. I actually think a lot of people underrate Edward, it doesn't require that many resources to get him up to par and we get good results in the end.

not just FE10 Shinon
That's because Sniper is actually a decent class. Most Snipers tend to have existing utility because the class itself is good.

The only Archers that you can't really overrate are FE4 Archers (Bow Fighters, IIRC), because they're pretty much Snipers that aren't... Snipers.

not just FE10 Shinon
That's because Sniper is actually a decent class. Most Snipers tend to have existing utility because the class itself is good.

The only Archers that you can't really overrate are FE4 Archers (Bow Fighters, IIRC), because they're pretty much Snipers that aren't... Snipers.

Which games are you talking about? I mean they're better in stuff like FEDS, but they're definitely one of the weaker classes in 6-10.

Which games are you talking about? I mean they're better in stuff like FEDS, but they're definitely one of the weaker classes in 6-10.
Maybe GBA Snipers (not too familiar with them), but I know FE9 Shinon wasn't gimped by his class and clearly has utility, he was gimped for other reasons. Jeorge from FE3 is also a good example of a Sniper that can do stuff despite having garbage growths (at least in Book 1, where I used him, though his Book 2 stats are far superior, even for gaining 4 levels, and you already mentioned FEDS). I also already mentioned FE4. There is no default Sniper in FE5 as far as I can see.

I haven't played FE10, but I won't assume they're hax. I will assume, that just like most Snipers in the FE series, that they aren't gimped and stuggling like their unpromoted Archer forms.

Edited by Rody

Level 20/10 Shinon with the double bow, 'A' Mia: 56 Atk

Level 34 Nailah, 'B' Mist: 55 Atk.

Base Tibarn: 56 Atk

Bad? Lololololol.

I agree with Smash on the matter of enemy phase. Besides, teh Arbalest/Aqqar aren't that bad.I mean, just compare Snipers to lolbishops and lolsages.

Oh, and cats.

Edited by kirsche

I like how I've already participated five pages ago even though this is the first time I've seen this thread.

The only FE game that I've participated in the non-tier community for -- aka run into fanboys and hypers of all stripes -- is FE10. I'd say the most over-rated units in that game are Eddie, Nolan, Ilyana, Soren, and Shinon. That list is not all-inclusive, and there may be someone that I forgot.

Nephenee is not there, intentionally. I will say that most of the people who hype her have no logical reasoning for it other than aesthetics. However, such a basis does exist, even if the majority of her fans don't realize it. But since this thread is not "most hyped", and is instead "most over-rated", she doesn't belong on the list.

I was tempted to put Aran up there, but his fanbase is just a vocal minority, so I don't think that counts.

@kirsche:

Level 20/doesntfuckingmatter Shinon with the Crossbow he's stuck with for a million chapters: 28mt

A shitload of other people in the Greil Mercenaries, some with Bronze weapons and/or their bare hands: more mt than that.

Double Bow doesn't show up until 4-E-1, and both you and smash are wrong about Enemy Phase. There is a lot of Enemy Phase activity in FE10, and if you can't hack it, you can't claim credit for anything but your Player Phase. When a Mediocre Tier unit like Boyd can threaten your damage output just by countering one dude on Enemy Phase, you've got big problems.

Maybe GBA Snipers (not too familiar with them), but I know FE9 Shinon wasn't gimped by his class and clearly has utility, he was gimped for other reasons. Jeorge from FE3 is also a good example of a Sniper that can do stuff despite having garbage growths (at least in Book 1, where I used him, though his Book 2 stats are far superior, even for gaining 4 levels, and you already mentioned FEDS). I also already mentioned FE4. There is no default Sniper in FE5 as far as I can see.

I haven't played FE10, but I won't assume they're hax. I will assume, that just like most Snipers in the FE series, that they aren't gimped and stuggling like their unpromoted Archer forms.

GBA Archers are weird. FE7 and 8 they're problematic as the enemies suck, and don't warrent needing archers to help out. FE6, archers WOULD help...But they gave you a bunch of crap ones. Ward is a better archer than Wolt and Dorothy...and Sue. At least there's Klein and Shin.

FE5, I find archers highly underrated. Enemies suck, but there are a BUNCH of them, and they're equipped with pretty awesome weapons. One guy going down or being weakened just makes you that much safer. Another deal is FE5 actually has plenty of ranged fighters running amok.

FE3...They had a nice array of archers, and particularly liked what they did with George. Otherwise, it's sort of a mixed bag with them.. They can be ok in their own way.

@kirsche:

Level 20/doesntfuckingmatter Shinon with the Crossbow he's stuck with for a million chapters: 28mt

A shitload of other people in the Greil Mercenaries, some with Bronze weapons and/or their bare hands: more mt than that.

Double Bow doesn't show up until 4-E-1, and both you and smash are wrong about Enemy Phase. There is a lot of Enemy Phase activity in FE10, and if you can't hack it, you can't claim credit for anything but your Player Phase. When a Mediocre Tier unit like Boyd can threaten your damage output just by countering one dude on Enemy Phase, you've got big problems.

But Shinon has his moments. He's definitely upper mid. I don't know if I buy the high tier thing, but there are lots of times where player phase offence is really important. What hurts him most likely is the number of slots in most chapters. Shinon is stuck with player phase and he can normally do what it takes two units to do, but since we will frequently have two units for one enemy on player phase (as long as we were smart about our positioning on enemy phase and actually used people who do good things on enemy phase), it means a bit less. He's still better than the two units that can't kill anything without combining, it just doesn't mean as much. I'm not sure where you see Shinon, and I'm not sure where I'd place him in upper mid if I could, but he's still pretty good. Just not as good as Gatrie, like smash seems to think, and not as good as Mia, though he thinks Shinon is somehow better.

Shinon gets 34 mt on enemy phase for 3-E and 4-P/1/2/3/4 and probably 5 unless we overload Heather and send Shinon with Tibarn and have Heather send the arbalest to the convoy. 34 mt at his base crit is not good since it 4 hits the halbs and warriors as early as 4-1. 3 hits the swordmasters and since he doesn't double them that's a 3RKO. 36 mt with an A mist doesn't even 3 hit the halbs, although 2 warriors are 3 hit that way, there's just a lot more that are still 4 hit. 3 hits snipers, so that helps. Point is, adept doesn't do much for him and I don't think his mastery works with crossbows, though I could be mistaken. He's stuck with his base crit. Oh, and 36 mt against generals? Try 5 to 6 hitting, so even if he pulls a crit he still comes up short. Needs 2 crits.

So yeah, Aqqar isn't helping him, crossbow sucked while it was around after 3-2 or so, he gets Arbalest for maybe 2 turns in 4-4, and then is probably killing the double bow sniper on turn 1 or 2 in 4-E-1 to get the double bow asap. Arbalest doesn't exactly do much. And even it 4 hits the halbs with that mist support. Misses the stronger warriors, too.

His enemy phase is among the worst all the way until the second last turn of 4-4, and even then not so great. There's a small blip of goodness in 3-E when he should be 3 hitting non-generals (good for the non-swordmasters anyway), but that's it.

If it wasn't for over half the action happening on enemy phase in RD and all the best enemy phase actioners having good or epic durability, he'd be fine. But since enemy phase is a large part of RD, he's not.

Even Ilyana can stomp him in 4-5. 4HKOd by cats, access to fire magic, possibility of one hitting if we got her to S fire (unlikely, though). Actually able to do something on enemy phase. He can't even double them without being 20/7 or 20/8. He might kill one, she brings 3 down to less than 10% hp, and could actually do something on player phase. Even if it's self healing, she still outmuscles him. This is worse than the Boyd comparison for Shinon.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Shinon sucks. I'd agree that he's Upper Mid material at minimum, owing to his ability to reach out and blick something (sort of), and certainly he's better than Boyd.

I was just being snarky about it because kirsche is playing fast and loose with the facts when it comes to Shinon (as usual).

I'm still baffled why Edward is so popular. He's... so generic. His design doesn't really seem to stand out at all. Are people attracted to his averageness? I just don't get it.

Don't underestimate the power of bishounen. Edward fits that category best, followed by Leonardo.

GBA Archers are weird. FE7 and 8 they're problematic as the enemies suck, and don't warrent needing archers to help out. FE6, archers WOULD help...But they gave you a bunch of crap ones. Ward is a better archer than Wolt and Dorothy...and Sue. At least there's Klein and Shin.

FE5, I find archers highly underrated. Enemies suck, but there are a BUNCH of them, and they're equipped with pretty awesome weapons. One guy going down or being weakened just makes you that much safer. Another deal is FE5 actually has plenty of ranged fighters running amok.

FE3...They had a nice array of archers, and particularly liked what they did with George. Otherwise, it's sort of a mixed bag with them.. They can be ok in their own way.

I'm talking about player Snipers, not Archers. Archers are almost always garbage except in FE4, and possibly FE5's Tanya (but even she is low tier).

All default Archers in FE3 are considered crap. You know why you say you like what they did with George? Because he's a Sniper.

Edited by Rody