Most over rated fire emblem character

Oujay

What would qualify for "most over rated" anyway? How many posters does it take? I'm rather tempted to say Aran, because there are actually a fair number of people that seem perfectly happy with his performance overall. At least he finally moved below Mordecai and Naesala. Zihark is also way too high in high tier. Yes, his part 1 is rather good. No, his part 3 isn't, and his part 4 offence is mediocre. 4 chapters of being rather good, 2 chapters of being rather bad (3-6 and 3-13), 1 chapter of being pretty good (3-12), followed by 2 chapters plus endgame of being completely incapable of killing anything important in 2 hits, and 4 hitting generals. Plus, while he dodges lots, many many units take a rather large number of hits to kill so it barely matters when others have better offence. To me, that's not adding up to top 6. I guess Nolan is overrated. I like Nolan, though, so it's annoying, but I guess his late part 1 is rather unimpressive and his early part 4 spent catching up in level is similarly unimpressive. #9 probably calls for more than that.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would qualify for "most over rated" anyway? How many posters does it take? I'm rather tempted to say Aran, because there are actually a fair number of people that seem perfectly happy with his performance overall. At least he finally moved below Mordecai and Naesala. Zihark is also way too high in high tier. Yes, his part 1 is rather good. No, his part 3 isn't, and his part 4 offence is mediocre. 4 chapters of being rather good, 2 chapters of being rather bad (3-6 and 3-13), 1 chapter of being pretty good (3-12), followed by 2 chapters plus endgame of being completely incapable of killing anything important in 2 hits, and 4 hitting generals. Plus, while he dodges lots, many many units take a rather large number of hits to kill so it barely matters when others have better offence. To me, that's not adding up to top 6. I guess Nolan is overrated. I like Nolan, though, so it's annoying, but I guess his late part 1 is rather unimpressive and his early part 4 spent catching up in level is similarly unimpressive. #9 probably calls for more than that.

Is it just me, or does the post look like it belongs in the tier list topic? (Not calling you out or anything, just observing...)

I can agree Nolan is overrated, though. He's been hyped a lot but I've never seen him live up to it with his performance.

And is it just me, or is Eirika kind of overrated as well?

Is it just me, or does the post look like it belongs in the tier list topic? (Not calling you out or anything, just observing...)

Sorry, it occurred to me as I was typing both posts that I might be saying a little bit too much for a topic like this. I suppose I could've just listed the character names and left it at that. I just tend to start typing and keep going. Then not really want to erase it.

I could post it in the tier list topic, though. But then I'd have to list a preference for where I think he should go, wouldn't I? I'm not quite willing to say that yet.

I can agree Nolan is overrated, though. He's been hyped a lot but I've never seen him live up to it with his performance.

I think Nolan is worth training, but I guess he's too much of a growth unit to be considered great. Too much time spent not being great, even if training is easy.

Note: Outside of tier lists I talk about NM.

In HM Crossbows suck ass save 4-5 where Shinon can do the beastfoe/dragonfoe crossbow combination to solo the map.

Oh and yes, the aqqar isn't bad in NM. In 4-p to 4-2 Halbs have 19 def and 40 HP. So that's a 2RKO with possible crit and adept activations. In fact, wit han Atk support, the Aqqar can even 2RKO the sword generals with 24 Def/42 HP.

Edited by kirsche

And is it just me, or is Eirika kind of overrated as well?

People hate on Eirika all the time because "omg crap str/def"...this is probably vaguely related to "omgseththeEXPhog" who she gets +3 atk/+3 def from. Maybe this hype-Eirika crowd is to be found among the people who believe endgame performance is everything.

Note: Outside of tier lists I talk about NM.

In HM Crossbows suck ass save 4-5 where Shinon can do the beastfoe/dragonfoe crossbow combination to solo the map.

Oh and yes, the aqqar isn't bad in NM. In 4-p to 4-2 Halbs have 19 def and 40 HP. So that's a 2RKO with possible crit and adept activations. In fact, wit han Atk support, the Aqqar can even 2RKO the sword generals with 24 Def/42 HP.

In NM, Shinon's AS isn't special anymore, because tons of people are doubling. Being able to 2RKO in Part 4 is pretty bad when you're surrounded by people that are ORKO'ing. Hell, even someone like Soren is a rape machine in NM because of BEXP + early crown.

BTW, how is Fiona overrated? Who in the world overrates her? Because I've seen next to no hype for her. I do, however, believe Rhys is overrated.

I agree that Rhys may be overrated as well, but personally, I think Mist is much more overrated than he is. They both suck at combat, but people keep hyping Mist not for her healing (or at least not mainly) but for her "combat utility", which is bull if you ask me.

Rhys is underrated if anything. People think +10 mag over Mist is nothing.

BTW, how is Fiona overrated? Who in the world overrates her? Because I've seen next to no hype for her. I do, however, believe Rhys is overrated.

I agree that Rhys may be overrated as well, but personally, I think Mist is much more overrated than he is. They both suck at combat, but people keep hyping Mist not for her healing (or at least not mainly) but for her "combat utility", which is bull if you ask me.

Because +10 MAG over Mist is nothing if you still suck at combat, and both Rhys and Mist do suck at combat. It's very rare that there's a wound that Rhys can fully heal with his MAG lead that Mist can not, and even if such a case occurs; what exactly keeps you from simply using a Mend staff instead of a simple Heal one? Mend isn't so much more expensive than Heal that you'd suddenly be short on cash for just buying one.

Later on, it's Rhys greater range with certain staves and actual capability of dealing damage vs. Mist's higher MOV + Canto + enough SPD to not get doubled anymore. I'd say they're about equal in terms of usefulness, actually.

Because +10 MAG over Mist is nothing if you still suck at combat, and both Rhys and Mist do suck at combat. It's very rare that there's a wound that Rhys can fully heal with his MAG lead that Mist can not, and even if such a case occurs; what exactly keeps you from simply using a Mend staff instead of a simple Heal one? Mend isn't so much more expensive than Heal that you'd suddenly be short on cash for just buying one.

Later on, it's Rhys greater range with certain staves and actual capability of dealing damage vs. Mist's higher MOV + Canto + enough SPD to not get doubled anymore. I'd say they're about equal in terms of usefulness, actually.

If it's normal mode, Mist can actually turn out with semi-decent offense come part 4 due to a +5 Str promotion boost. It's nothing amazing, but probably better than Rhys.

And yeah, Rhys' Mag lead is meaningless. However, in PoR, he actually is kind of underrated, IMO.

His Mag lead in RD does give him the option of pulling Chip damage though, which is better than Mist being locked to healing. After promotion it's Mist w/Horse the reason Rhys goes down (and prevent being doubled, but both are for a time).

In NM, Shinon's AS isn't special anymore, because tons of people are doubling. Being able to 2RKO in Part 4 is pretty bad when you're surrounded by people that are ORKO'ing. Hell, even someone like Soren is a rape machine in NM because of BEXP + early crown.

He's still bad durably, can't double Auras/spirits, lacks 2-3 range like Shinon and has worse crit and mastery. Oh, and possible adept usage for even more win. Lol@ Soren > Shinon in NM.

My point is that there are weaker classes - sages, bishops and cats and that Shinon/Marksmen in general are some of the better endgame classes due to being comparable to the laguz royals. Oh, and they use the Xfoe's quite well thanks to either the Dragonfoe + Beastfoe + Crossbow combo in 4-5 or Leo's beastfoe + lughnadsea combo in 3-6.

Archers/Marksmen are not some of the weaker classes in FE10.

He's still bad durably, can't double Auras/spirits, lacks 2-3 range like Shinon and has worse crit and mastery. Oh, and possible adept usage for even more win. Lol@ Soren > Shinon in NM.

How do you get Soren > Shinon from what Int is saying? That isn't even close. At the most, you can maybe infer he's saying Soren > Shinon holding a crossbow type weapon. But even then, Int is focusing on the offensive aspect. Focusing on one area of usefulness and stating who is better at it does not mean he's suggesting one character is better in all ways. He's just saying, Shinon's AS means nothing.

Oh, and what does Soren having worse crit and mastery have to do with anything? In this case, Soren is ORKOing. He doesn't need adept/crit/mastery to kill the thing. Shinon does. Less than 100% kill is always worse than 100% if we are strictly talking about killing ability. And how do you figure Flare is worse than Deadeye? It activates more often, heals the user, and negates res. If Soren is already ORKOing, his mastery is now awesome considering it gives a rather good chance of healing himself and we don't have to care that it doesn't triple anything. Plus if Soren's mt is as big as his max hp then it can be a full heal if the mastery activates first. Even when Soren isn't ORKOing, if he's at least doubling then Flare is vastly superior to deadeye. If he's doubling then he'll basically kill anything when flare activates, and it's skill% rather than (skill/2)%. Deadeye is only better when both units are not doubling and Shinon is 3HKOing and the enemy has more HP than Soren has mt. Otherwise, flare is better.

Besides, they are around for how many chapters? How much does endgame matter?

tags because of endgame detail and mention of Nasir.

In 4-E-4 he can double thunder spirits with his 32 speed cap. So he's not doubling two thirds of that map. But don't forget Nasir. With long range tomes, Soren can sit next to Nasir, grab meteor, and with 35 magic and 29 speed and support active kills any spirit not on wardwood in NM. He needs 50 mt on NM:

38hp/30 res for thunder spirits, WTD so 50 mt becomes 49 and still ORKOs.

40hp/30 res for fire spirits, WTN so 50 mt ORKOs.

38hp/32 res for wind spirits, WTA so 50 mt becomes 51 and ORKOs.

35 + 8 + 5 + 2 = 50 mt.

In fact, on HM he only needs 34 magic for thunder spirits, but he needs 36 magic for wind spirits.

Now, when you consider that there is no possible way that all 8 of Nasir's potential white pool spots will be within 1 to 3 range of enemies, Soren can easily nab one.

Yes, I said 8. 4 spots before Nasir moves, 4 spots after. Chances are, at least one of these 8 spots will be within 4 to 10 range of an enemy. Soren/Ilyana/Calill/Micaiah can easily take a few of these spots and blast away with blessed ranged tomes.

Honestly, Soren fails offence in 4-E-5, except there are even spirits to kill there if we don't want them ganging up on Gareth with Ashera and possibly killing him on turn 2.

My point is that there are weaker classes - sages, bishops and cats and that Shinon/Marksmen in general are some of the better endgame classes due to being comparable to the laguz royals.

So he "beats" cats, bishops, and sages. Wow, he beats the class with the worst gauge in the game, offensively beats a class practically devoted to healing, and the most nerfed class ever. What an amazing class. As for the royals thing, Shinon is around for 15 chapters, if we count 4-E as 2. In 13 of those, he has nearly the worst offence per combat on enemy phase. 2 chapters doesn't change things. He's good, don't ever think we deny that, and I for one think he's very much worth raising and bringing to endgame. But being one of the best classes for 2 chapters does not make up for being one of the worst for 13.

Oh, and they use the Xfoe's quite well thanks to either the Dragonfoe + Beastfoe + Crossbow combo in 4-5 or Leo's beastfoe + lughnadsea combo in 3-6.

(used tags because of Pelleas. Also mention of the tower)

Or we could give dragonfoe to Pelleas and I can kill a dragon and a cat on that turn. In HM Pelleas still manages to ORKO 10 spd dragons in 4-5. His weapon is basically free to use excessively here, since he won't need Fenrir while waiting outside the tower for Ike and co. to save the world. Putting those two skills in one unit means that we can't use them both at once. Better to kill the dragons from 10 squares away on player phase than to let them attack on enemy phase. It isn't like we need the exp from the 3 or 4 lowest level units on the map.

Archers/Marksmen are not some of the weaker classes in FE10.

No, just the 4th weakest, that's all. And that's only if we count bishops, who aren't around for their power but the healing. And sages are still better in 3 out of 5 chapters of endgame.

I concede. Though I can see them better than ravens as well.

I don't know. It's hard for me to separate Shinon from Sniper, and Nealuchi/Vika from Raven. Probably they are better than ravens. (Obviously Shinon is leagues better than Vika/Nealuchi. I mean classwise.)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I would say Mist is more overrated than Rhys, but only because I've seen more hype for her advantages than I've seen hype for Rhys'.

That's because Rhys doesn't really have any...

Right. Exactly why Rhys isn't overrated except by two Mist haters.

When I said Archers were a weak class in 6-10, I didn't mean to say all Archers were bad(though they often are).

Shinon's mostly good due to great growths and bases. If Shinon would be a Warrior or something, he'd probably be the best character in the game.

However, being locked to bows gives him none to poor enemy phase offense, thus he's limited by his class. The only time being a Marksman is good is 4-E, but as Narga said, 4-E is a small portion of the game.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Funny. I could often consider bow wielders to be some of my best units, sometimes even MVPs, in those games. How are people handling them? :\

Shinon though... I guess he's the best archer in 10 by default. Not that it matters since 10 is cruel to archers.

Shinon though... I guess he's the best archer in 10 by default. Not that it matters since 10 is cruel to archers.

Eh? How so? Radiant Dawn must be the best of 6-10 for Archers due to stuff like Crossbows and the Double Bow. And a generally lower enemy count as well means the gap in emphasis between player and enemy phases is smaller.

It's the map design. Their stats are fine. Crossbows are great. Though aside from killing just about anything in range, archers are best behind a tank or shooting over walls. Part 1 has a lot of that, but you're stuck with Leonardo. You still have chapters to do this later, but I found Radiant Dawn has a lot of open ended maps.

The heigh system is also nice for archers, though.

This is what I think in my own opinion:

FF6: Gonzales, Liliana

Comment: Gonzales is extremely overrated. Liliana is overrated as well despite her being bad for many people.

FF7: Raven, Nino

Comment: I always see Raven in almost every FF7 playthrough. Nino was a give away.

FF8: Moulder, Joshua

Comment: Moulder is overrated for his con. Joshua is awesome, but sadly is too overrated. If FF8 had Wi-Fi, Joshua would be on every team.

FF9: Mist, Astrid, Makalov

Comment: Mist is not that good until you get her swords. Astrid is extremely overrated. Many people always use Makalov.

FF10: Elincia, Edward

Comment: Elincia is a bit overrated. Edward was a give away.

FFSD: Sedgar & Wolf & Ogma

Comment: Sedgar and Wolf were a give away. On Wi-Fi, I always see people use Ogma.