A few ?s

I'm planning on getting this game, and could someone enlighten me as to what's the deal with all this reclassing nonsense?

It seems like the kind of thing that could screw over characters if you do it wrong.

Also, from what I understand the Gaiden chapters require you to kill off a certain amount of characters each time. Are these chapters that were put in the game to help out people that suck and manage to lose half their army, or is there something I'm missing about them?

Is every difficulty available from the start? I'd like to start H5 or whatever it seems to be called ASAP but most games nowadays require you to dick around on some other setting before you can unlock the hardest one.

Finally is there anything someone whose completed FE4 and 6 through 9 (played 5 and 10) should know about this game?

Thanks for answers, its much appreciated.

The reclass option simply allows switching a character to a different class. It's something of a "love it or hate it" thing, but it's optional (as in, you DON'T have to use it). Stat-wise, some characters benefit greatly from being in another class, while others are better in their default class. It's pretty much up to you to experiment to see what suits you. But again, reclassing is entirely optional.

About the sidechapters: In order to access them, you would need to have 15 or less units in your squad total at the end of certain chapters. You probably have a point about the requirements, as a player would have to suck hard at this game or willingly kill off most of the characters in order to get to them.

There are six difficulty levels, all available from the start. Normal mode and five Hard modes.

Edited by Tatsumaki

I'm planning on getting this game, and could someone enlighten me as to what's the deal with all this reclassing nonsense?

It seems like the kind of thing that could screw over characters if you do it wrong.

There actually aren't a lot of bad class setups that could completely screw over a character. Usually the worst class setups belong to characters that aren't that great in a particular stat in the first place, so common sense would dictate that Sheeda's 20% Str growth won't work too well with Myrmidon, though she makes a great Mage.
Also, from what I understand the Gaiden chapters require you to kill off a certain amount of characters each time. Are these chapters that were put in the game to help out people that suck and manage to lose half their army, or is there something I'm missing about them?

Probably, though this feature only really rewards those that purposely sacrifice crappy characters, while not being good at the game and losing decent characters you won't really gain anything that makes up for what you lost, so it's more of a forgiveness for losing units and reward for those that take advantage.
Is every difficulty available from the start? I'd like to start H5 or whatever it seems to be called ASAP but most games nowadays require you to dick around on some other setting before you can unlock the hardest one.
All of them from the start.
Finally is there anything someone whose completed FE4 and 6 through 9 (played 5 and 10) should know about this game?
No rescuing, so play like you would FE4. Other than that, it defines FE tradition.
It's something of a "love it or hate it" thing,
I've seen, maybe two people hate it. This is not counting Endgame or Marth_Koopa or whatever's opinion is invaluable. Edited by Brawl Sheeda

Reclassing lets you change character classes, with a few restrictions (see the main site for details on that)

Yeah, this game's Gaiden most likely are done like that for that reason, but it doesn't appear to work too well, as the special characters you get in them don't seem to be too good.

This game has no Canto, and No Rescuing.

Also, you didn't ask about this, but you might wanna know that there are two broken guys called "Wolf" and "Sedgar", Reclass them into something good (I made Wolf a Hero, and Sedgar a General), and watch them pwn! (it takes a few levels to work, but boy does it work!)

Also, you didn't ask about this, but you might wanna know that there are two broken guys called "Wolf" and "Sedgar", Reclass them into something good (I made Wolf a Hero, and Sedgar a General), and watch them pwn! (it takes a few levels to work, but boy does it work!)
I recommend not using them at all if you're going to play H5.
but it doesn't appear to work too well, as the special characters you get in them don't seem to be too good.
Athena is better than Navarre due to having actual strength. Ymir is a decent late game unit. Norne sucks because she's a default archer. Horace is a good utility tank. Etzel is... Fanservice.

So not all of them suck.

Edited by Brawl Sheeda

I recommend not using them at all if you're going to play H5.

You should note that this is because they are too good and not because they are horrible, lest they get the wrong idea.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies; I'll take a look at character growths as I go along and see who'd suit what class.

You should note that this is because they are too good and not because they are horrible, lest they get the wrong idea.

Too good would never be a bad thing for me!

Edited by Excellen

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies; I'll take a look at character growths as I go along and see who'd suit what class.

In general...

Archer sucks as a class. Poor base speed, causing them to be doubled by everything, and E bows. Sniper, however, is a great class.

Fighter and Pirate are basically the same, but Fighter has +2 HP and +1 base speed to Pirate's +1 defense and water walk.

Males in class set A have Cavalier. Females in class set A have Pegasus Knights.

Curate/Cleric means that the character will skyrocket in levels compared to your other units.

Too good would never be a bad thing for me!

H5 enemies do no damage to them. That's how hardcore they are.

I personally love class change systems, especially when they're pulled off nicely like FFV or this game.

It managed to avoid the mistake Sacred Stones did: the growths are actually altered when switching to another class so it isn't a contest of which class has the best caps and weapons anymore.

That and to show the players who like to keep everyone alive that it's been a self-imposed challenge all along.

From the start.

Play FE3. That has the most similiar gameplay to Shadow Dragon.