Clock Abuse Tutorial

Meteor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, after a few trials, I've decided that clock abuse is even easier with DSi.

How so? Is there larger room for error? Do the same times work?

How so? Is there larger room for error? Do the same times work?

Yes. The same times are applicable. But the reason I've said DSi is better mainly bc of the reset button, which requires less actions than the usual: b, b, a + turn ds on. Also, you don't need to remove or insert cart during the entire process.

For the DSi, all you need to do is:

1) Enter the correct time.

2) As soon as the confirm window disappear, press reset

3) Enter game

Thats it!

Edited by quanchino

You don't have to remove the cartridge from the DS Lite, either. Anyway, thanks for your research!

:facepalm:

You're right! DS Lite menu is accessible by holding start, and all along I was removing/inserting my cart. :o

But people have been complaining in the past that clock abuse is not possible with DSi, but in fact it is easier. Less actions = lower margin of error.

That information has been in the tutorial since the day I posted it! XP

I definitely wasn't debating it being easier. I'm just glad you found a reliable way to reset the clock on the DSi, since that's what most people will be buying in the future. Once I borrow my brother's to verify the timing, I'll add it into the main post.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. The same times are applicable. But the reason I've said DSi is better mainly bc of the reset button, which requires less actions than the usual: b, b, a + turn ds on. Also, you don't need to remove or insert cart during the entire process.

For the DSi, all you need to do is:

1) Enter the correct time.

2) As soon as the confirm window disappear, press reset

3) Enter game

Thats it!

Yay, someone figured out the DSi, now I actually might stand a chance against the evil hackers.

Quan, I can't get your method to work. The DSi menus are not static, for one thing. Also it's not exactly clear when to push the reset button.

On another note, I found some interesting times for Cleric Abel, but I haven't had time to test them on anyone else.

09-28-2009 00:00 +5, not Mag (This is a +6 as a Bishop)

09-28-2009 00:01 +5, not Lck

09-28-2009 02:57 +5, not Skl

Edited by Meteor

Oh wow, thank you so much. You've stumbled upon something incredible with that last time Meteor. In fact I've been searching for it for so long LOL.

It gave my Merric + Def too. Yikes!!

Oh yea, the first time has a +res of 2%. I accidentally used it on Marth. but I'm not sure how this is gonna be useful though lol. Just interesting, thats all.

Edited by quanchino

Why is that so incredible, if you don't mind me asking?

I narrowed down the growths from above (for 09-28-2009) a little bit. The bold ones are my assumptions based on what you have found; are they correct?

00:00 [30, ?, 25. 40, 60, 25, ?, 2]

00:01 [30, ?, 15, 40, 20, ?, ?, 20]

01:41 [30, ?, 15, ?, ?, 25, ?, 35]

02:57 [45, ?, 15, 50, 20, 25, 10, 20]

Uber late edit: Did some testing with Boah.

00:00 [30, ?, 25. 20, 60, 20, ?, 10]

00:01 [20, ?, 15, 40, 20, ?, ?, 10]

01:41 [20, ?, 15, ?, ?, 20, ?, 35]

02:57 [45, ?, 15, 50, 20, 20, 10, 20]

Edited by Meteor

I use a mapsave right before I'm about to level up and then set the clock to 00:00 of some arbitrary date. Then I resume, level up, record the time if it gives exceptional stats, increment the clock by one minute, and repeat.

The date for those previous 4 times is 09-28-2009. They are the same times from a few posts up where I stated it explicitly.

ah, that must take a while, but sounds interesting to do ^_^.

Yes, I don't usually mind doing that type of repetitive mundane work...it's somehow calming and fun to discover what works and what does.

I wonder if you can break a DS by doing that though...all that resetting and such...

Edited by Hatari

I wonder if you can break a DS by doing that though...all that resetting and such...

Well, when I first started with this Clock Abusing business, there were a few times where after flipping the power switch, the power light would come on, but the screens would remain blank... (Then, it'd be fine after turning it off and on again.) It hasn't happened for a while recently, but...I don't know, exploit at your own risk, I guess? :blink:

Edited by 4in1

ah, that must take a while, but sounds interesting to do ^_^.

Yes, I don't usually mind doing that type of repetitive mundane work...it's somehow calming and fun to discover what works and what does.

It's very mundane, but I try to multitask, like watching TV or sitting in a lecture at the same time.

Well, when I first started with this Clock Abusing business, there were a few times where after flipping the power switch, the power light would come on, but the screens would remain blank... (Then, it'd be fine after turning it off and on again.) It hasn't happened for a while recently, but...I don't know, exploit at your own risk, I guess? :blink:

Maybe it's because the DS was trying to shut itself off, and you were hitting the power button at the same time. If your timing was just right, I could see it being confused whether it was supposed to turn on or off.

I personally haven't had any bad experiences.

Edited by Meteor

I might have found some, I'll PM them to you later so you can check them out Meteor.

I tested it 5 times, 1 time Cain got +4, 2x Cain got +6 (all, not mag/res), 2x Cain got +0.

Another one: 4+ for frey x2, +2 for frey x2.

Is this dynamic growth's playing around here?

Yeah DSi's are kinda weird. Power is to return to the main menu (if you just tap it quick), if you hold it for a second or two, it's power off...

When does the clock get set? (when you enter the game or when you select the file to continue playing?)

Edited by Hatari

ack, sorry meteor, I need to re-read everything then on the front page. Don't mean to make you constantly repeat yourself.

If you're having trouble with DSi, then you should check out these videos I've made:

Just follow everything that I did up to the point where I enter the game, or b4 the IS logo shows up. The timing has to be precise. Remember that you need to be as close to 99 % exp as possible. And you are only allowed to attack once before gaining a level up.

Edited by quanchino

yeah, I'm messing up the timing. Cain/Frey are one hit away from level up (but they can get countered).

Abel/Gordin are two or so...so I guess, I'll have to reset the clock for them.

They can not get countered, you have to be in a position where you're not receiving a hit or your target dies in that one blow.