Why do you vote republican/democrat?

Cynthia

Obviously not everyone agrees with EVERYTHING a party does, or all their stances on a topic.

So my question is, what reason do you vote for whatever party you do?

I know there are third parties, but if you vote for one, let me know what it is and why.

I think I'm registered with Democrats, but the entire ordeal of voting is absurd enough to disown it altogether. I'm not keen on ever actually voting.

It's far more enriching to actually speak to others, as well as gawk at all the protesters and bullies at voting centers and other likened areas, for me.

Im registered republican. Its been 11 years since i registered to vote and i just havent bothered in switching to independent like i wanted. Just lazy i suppose. I dont vote republican if the candidates are rubbish. I vote for whomever i want.

OK, now that this has been brought back from the brink...

I don't vote Democrat or Republican for any reason; in reality, I would rather vote for a third party unless I have a belief in a particular candidate.

The more a person talks about their own party and what their party is doing, the less inclined I am to vote for that person. I would rather have more Susan Collins types than people toeing the line.

I'm not registered with either major party because I feel no sense of loyalty towards their kind. At the national level, I vote democrat because the republican party is broadly overrun by retards and crazies.

I don't vote third party because I don't see getting up and out to worthlessly throw my vote away as a good way to spend an hour or two.

OK, now that this has been brought back from the brink...

I don't vote Democrat or Republican for any reason; in reality, I would rather vote for a third party unless I have a belief in a particular candidate.

The more a person talks about their own party and what their party is doing, the less inclined I am to vote for that person. I would rather have more Susan Collins types than people toeing the line.

I actually agree. I love Susan Collins (for those of you who don't know, Republican senator from Maine).

In Vermont I don't think you actually have to register with either party, you just ask for whichever ballot you want as you go in on primary day, and of course all other days its the same ballot anyways. But this may be because Vermont will often have third-party candidates gather large percentages of the vote. In the last gubernatorial election, the progressive party candidate actually got more of the vote than the democratic candidate (21.8%) and of course our current senator is an independent (Bernie Sanders).

I vote for who I like unless I really don't know who the candidates are (usually for some obscure local public office), in which case I probably would vote democratic (just because any one who's running as a Republican in my town would be either a dick or extremely old), or just simply not vote for that office at all.

Edited by California Mountain Snake

I consistently cast my ballots for the Libertarian party. Failing a good Libertarian on the ticket, I will look closely at the candidates involved, and decide whether or not the Republican is a social bigot. If he's not, there's a good chance he gets my vote. Failing that, I look to whether the Democrat is a fiscal lunatic. If he has reasonable policies there, he will beat the Republican. If both candidates are shit, I will probably default to the Republican.

I don't worry about "wasting my vote", for reasons I've discussed at length in the past, and probably do not bear repeating (unless the topic becomes hard up for something interesting). Unlike DK, I'm not even worried about "wasting my time", as in every election I have had the (mis?)fortune to cast absentee ballots.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on said person that is running for <Insert position>. I don't care which party they belong to, only on their views on <Insert Subject>. I am sick of how politics have become at this point though, but I am one of those people that "Believes you should vote", so I don't avoid doing it.

I don't feel loyalty to any particular party, as for now I like our current democrat in office, but I have liked republicans over democrats in some occasions.

I'm not an economist and I'm sure most people here and who vote don't know how the economy works, but they will claim they do till the day they die. I would vote on who I can trust and who seems to be the genuinely more intelligent and most fit to run our great country