Xiltas' Sprites (or the most imaginative title ever)

Xiltas Crysten

Thank you, I'll try it out next time ^^

Also, since my longtime FE obsession is the Scouring, I finished another sprite related to this theme:

Bahamut.png.f8b7aec2c2f6337b0cc44b5db5b78b5d.png

Bahamut, the most powerful fire dragon, Jahn's superior during the war as well as the leader of all dragons during the Scouring. He is credited to have stolen Idunn's soul and broken her will to make her his obedient slave, the Demon Dragon. At least, this is my take on the leader of the dragons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I continued to work on important people during the Scouring, focusing on Dragons this time:

Aenir.png.33cea72dcf0fddf1bd97ed1335afeaec.png

This is supposed to be Aenir, Ninian's and Nils' mother. I tried to capture the essence of Ninian's design, but it didn't work out the way I intended. I'll have to redo her in time.

Idunn_grown_trial.png.ba23297f47a1b69ad76a79ca281509a7.png

This was more of a little experiment on the side, because Jahn confused me. One time he calls her just a girl, then he says little girl, but since she's a dragon, thus hardly aging, and was sealed away until the events of Binding Blade, she shouldn't have grown from a girl into a woman. So I tried to find out how she could have looked like, before she was captured: making her eyes slightly bigger to make her seem a bit younger, and changing her hair color to match that of Fa, since they're both divine dragons. Though I'd like to hear your opinion, how you believe she could have looked like?

Naga.png.bea454abdbc18b69cbfb9eb1cab95136.png

My personal favorite this time. Naga, goddess of dragon- and mankind. Elimine was her human priestess, but as Naga led the dragons away from Elibe following the war and the events of the Ending Winter (which I believe could have caused the interdimensional event that caused Dragons to go feral), she left it to Elimine to be mankind's spiritual leader. Centuries later, people forgot that she even existed, and when they spoke of the goddess only thought of Elimine. I think I really nailed the look on her face I had in mind: graceful, warming, gentle, like a loving mother. I took inspiration from Nagi, Tiki, and Naga's only appearance, though I tried to make it fit to GBA-style.

Edited by Xiltas Shepard

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2017 at 2:25 PM, Xiltas Shepard said:

So I continued to work on important people during the Scouring, focusing on Dragons this time:

Aenir.png.33cea72dcf0fddf1bd97ed1335afeaec.png

This is supposed to be Aenir, Ninian's and Nils' mother. I tried to capture the essence of Ninian's design, but it didn't work out the way I intended. I'll have to redo her in time.

I think you should raise her hair a couple pixels : she's almost lacking any forehead. The right shoulder (our point of view) is too close of her neck, you should move t couple pixels right and lower it a bit. Also the same shoulder seems way bigger than the other one... Lastly, maybe it was your objective, but she seems angry and her face in general appears a bit too long : Nils' and Ninian's are rounder.

Idunn_grown_trial.png.ba23297f47a1b69ad76a79ca281509a7.png

This was more of a little experiment on the side, because Jahn confused me. One time he calls her just a girl, then he says little girl, but since she's a dragon, thus hardly aging, and was sealed away until the events of Binding Blade, she shouldn't have grown from a girl into a woman. So I tried to find out how she could have looked like, before she was captured: making her eyes slightly bigger to make her seem a bit younger, and changing her hair color to match that of Fa, since they're both divine dragons. Though I'd like to hear your opinion, how you believe she could have looked like?

She appears too angry, as if she had already transformed from despair. It's really personnal, but I don't like FE6 jawline in general. And in this case, maybe you could soften it a bit.

Naga.png.bea454abdbc18b69cbfb9eb1cab95136.png

My personal favorite this time. Naga, goddess of dragon- and mankind. Elimine was her human priestess, but as Naga led the dragons away from Elibe following the war and the events of the Ending Winter (which I believe could have caused the interdimensional event that caused Dragons to go feral), she left it to Elimine to be mankind's spiritual leader. Centuries later, people forgot that she even existed, and when they spoke of the goddess only thought of Elimine. I think I really nailed the look on her face I had in mind: graceful, warming, gentle, like a loving mother. I took inspiration from Nagi, Tiki, and Naga's only appearance, though I tried to make it fit to GBA-style.

I really like her facial expression, she looks in control of her business! Although, the face seems a bit to small. Also, you need to add her hair on her left side (our right side). Right now it's like if wind was blowing her hair, but only a portion of it and not all. Again a personnal comment, but i think you should change the golden part of her armor/cloth in the same yellow as her tiara.

Just my little 2 cents

On 17. Oktober 2017 at 1:13 AM, KoalaDude said:

Hey man, I read a few pages and a couple of those mugs are really cool, I may use them on a future project, if I have your consent?

Depends on the project. Most likely yes, but I'd like to see what it's about first, and I'd have to do the frames.

@KratosAurion:

Aenir: I agree about the shoulder, I tried to use Marisa's pose, but it doesn't really seem to work out. I didn't really intend to make her look angry, the "long" face was more or less intentional, as I wanted to portray her a bit older than her children, as she was a full grown dragon, but I guess I kinda missed it.

Idoun: I'll give it a shot and upload it again.

Naga: Will try it out.

Also, moving a bit away from the Scouring Dragons, but not too far:

nergaldvbfv.png

Who wants to guess which known character this is as a young man?

Yeah of course I understand. But don't worry about that now, it's not coming out anytime soon considering how big I plan it to be.

I'll let you know. Thanks anyway man, really good work.

EDIT : Wait, I just figured it out, is that a young Nergal? Amazing!

Edited by KoalaDude

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's Nergal. I wanted him to be a bit more attractive then that measly cg-picture before his "accident".

Also, I finally finished something I wanted to do for a long time:

Ich.png.4d619eb582b690eeaccb406d57359816.png

a sprited full-custom-self-portrait, based on this picture of mine. I once tried something similar with my wedding pic, didn't turn out nearly as good.

Edited by Xiltas Shepard

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment.

I've been trying to implement some of the criticism I've received, here you go.

idunn_grown_trial1.1t5ska.png

I tried to make Idunn's jawline less jagged and softened it up, making it a bit rounder and her a bit younger.

naga1.165sq6.png

Here I swapped the gold of her clothing with the color of her headgear, but it didn't amount to much. Also, I tried to add a bit of hair, to enhance the feeling of wind.

hartmut2.3f8s0y.png

Tweaked his hair a bit more, so it looks less like a mess. It's not perfect yet, but better.

And here comes the main event:

Hartmut got a class up!

champion_hartmut_a66s8a.png

It just didn't seem right that he would stay a Wildling (?) after becoming leader of men, so I had him advance to Champion.

champion_hartmut_brau0xsd1.png

Alternatively, here's a version without a cape and his original color scheme.

champion_hartmut_violcysvu.png

And here a version with Zephiel's palette.

Edited by Xiltas Shepard

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting back with a few sprites, would be glad about CnC:

georg8ssf9.png

This is Georg, father of Hartmut and his brothers. He was a genius who was really ahead of his time, and created many things that gave humanity an edge over the dragons during the Scouring. I wanted him to look a bit like a sympathetic Desmond.

melitha_priestess91s62.pngmelithaszsmt.png

And here's Melitha (or Militha, depending on the translation), a priestess of Naga, Hartmut's later wife and mother of his firstborn. Some people may know her from her short appearances on FE: Hasha no Tsurugi.

thief87s66.png

Potential thief character for my Scouring project. I took inspiration from a side character from the Anime "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress".

siegfried-romtauglichn2jpr.pngsiegfried-alternativacjsu.pngsiegfried-neu_remake.yqsv9.pngsiegfried20187msi5.png

A little side project of mine. I wanted to see how much I could improve my old characters, some may remember Siegfried, one of two protagonists of my 10-year old project "The Lord of Hatred" (which was practically finished, story, sprites, dialogue... just needed someone knowledgeable about Event Hacking). Left is the very first version from about 11 years ago.

• 7 months later...

Again, something I wanted to do for a long time:

fe6_alvgd42.png

I'm not exactly content with the fur part, might redo it in time. But I like how it turned out overall.

Not saying who this character is... I shouldn't have to, if I did it right. Who wants to take a guess?

6 hours ago, Xiltas Shepard said:

Not saying who this character is... I shouldn't have to, if I did it right. Who wants to take a guess?

At first glance it looks like a young Roland, but my guess is Al.

• 1 month later...

Correct, it's supposed to be Hasha no Tsurugi protagonist Al before his promotion.

Another project I wanted to do since my early days: Persona 4's Yu Narukami, voiced by my favorite american voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch. At first I tried to make him look like his original artwork, but then I changed a few things to make him look more FE-like. Hair is still kinda messy though.

Yu_Sprite.png.e586aa3e95fc1bfd976563a4803f65ce.png

• 5 months later...

Well, this one's been lying around for the last few months, and I wanted to finally finish him. He's not completely done, as the hair's not ideal, and his skin tone should be a bit more reddish, but he's in a state in which I'm content to show him.

volug_sprite2kkh0.png

His eyes were probably the most difficult thing to sprite, since in his original artwork they are a lot more expressive than is possible to accurately portrait with just a few pixels, but I guess I got as close as I could.

Also, it seems we've broken through over a 30k views since I first started this thread 10 years ago, so I just wanted to thank everyone who dropped by every now and then to take a look at this mess. I hope that I could entertain you for a bit and perhaps made you say with a grin: "Hey, that one's not so bad."

Edited by Xiltas Shepard

• 1 month later...

First, here's Volug with a different skin tone:

volug_sprite1.1t4kou.png

Second, another character I wanted to give a shot for a long time:

schwarzerritter0cjop.png

Frankly, Black Knight was annoying, simply because his armor is too big for GBA regulations, and second because his proportions didn't make sense. His helmet was originally way too small to fit over a head, so I drew the general design over a fitting face and then drew everything as full custom while adjusting the proportions. Shading's not perfect, might adjust it later on.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm back again, this time with another project I've wanted to do for a long time.

ike1.221a9jfy.png

FE9's Lord Ike is my favorite version of him, so I wanted to give it a shot. Again, I'm not 100% satisfied, but then I rarely am when I'm trying to translate something to 16-bit style.

Oh, and a teaser for my next project:

silhouettebak4i.png

Edited by Xiltas Shepard

23 hours ago, Xiltas Shepard said:

Well, I'm back again, this time with another project I've wanted to do for a long time.

ike1.221a9jfy.png

FE9's Lord Ike is my favorite version of him, so I wanted to give it a shot. Again, I'm not 100% satisfied, but then I rarely am when I'm trying to translate something to 16-bit style.

that's actually quite good. it's always nice to see detailed pixel portraits of post-GBA era characters.

Edited by Fenreir

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the compliment, I guess the only real issue I have is his eyes. They're close to his original design, but don't quite fit the GBA-era style.

Also, here's something I had lying around half finished for a while:

batmanc4jgc.png

This isn't supposed to be a specific incarnation of Batman's outfit, but merely something I was toying around with. I was trying to find a design that looks good in FE-style.

If I've got the time, I might try my hand on some more superheroes.

• 8 months later...

Well, instead of superheroes, I've done some other things, one of which I've wanted to do since way back:

heero71jkt.png

Gundam Wing's protagonist Heero Yuy. One of my all time favorite characters of the franchise.

tali1.21zfkrb.png tali_patternn8jgv.png

Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect, she's my favorite romance and namesake for my cat. :D The swirly pattern looks awesome, but breaks the 16-bit restriction.

solas-sprite1.11lojek.png

Solas from Dragon Age Inquisition, with his Fen'Harel outfit. I've made the pelt a bit fuzzier than it originally appears to be. I'm not really satisfied, because of the shoulder plate and that I couldn't fit him into the box. But right now, I feel like I could only make him worse.

10 hours ago, Xiltas Shepard said:

Well, instead of superheroes, I've done some other things, one of which I've wanted to do since way back:

heero71jkt.png

Gundam Wing's protagonist Heero Yuy. One of my all time favorite characters of the franchise.

tali1.21zfkrb.png tali_patternn8jgv.png

Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect, she's my favorite romance and namesake for my cat. 😄 The swirly pattern looks awesome, but breaks the 16-bit restriction.

solas-sprite1.11lojek.png

Solas from Dragon Age Inquisition, with his Fen'Harel outfit. I've made the pelt a bit fuzzier than it originally appears to be. I'm not really satisfied, because of the shoulder plate and that I couldn't fit him into the box. But right now, I feel like I could only make him worse.

I haven't played Mass Effect before...is it really as good as people say it is? Also nice sprites btw! 

Edited by Dinar87

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Xiltas Crysten said:

ike1.221a9jfy.png

Oh, and a teaser for my next project:

silhouettebak4i.png

I think it's awesome that you're using a limited palette on these. A lot of sprites have tons of different colors, which look nice, but they're not authentic to what the games actually looked like. 

• 4 weeks later...