I dunno if it fits...

Sevensins

I'm pretty sure no. You'd have to reencrypt it.

I have a save at about the fourth chapter or so of the final part, if anyone wants to mess around with that :/ I've been meaning to rip it for some time to try and screw around with custom classes for some characters (gives me more gameplay) :/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure no. You'd have to reencrypt it.

I have a save at about the fourth chapter or so of the final part, if anyone wants to mess around with that :/ I've been meaning to rip it for some time to try and screw around with custom classes for some characters (gives me more gameplay) :/

Would you know a way to unencrypt a game save then?

VincentASM asked me to see what could be done about BEXP and growths set to 0. I tried this with Ilyana's growths(which I haven't confirmed YET are actually usabl, but willl soon) by changing most of them to 0.

The game crashed when I attempted to load save data that has her, and after she is recruited, the game crashes, as well.

0 growths is a game breaker, but not in the conventional sense....so it seems.

Thanks ^^

Darn, I think the compression scheme doesn't like 00s. I tried setting stuff to 00 in FE9, but it crashed as well. How about trying 01's? That's probably the next best thing (and should work as well) ^^;;;

Thanks ^^

Darn, I think the compression scheme doesn't like 00s. I tried setting stuff to 00 in FE9, but it crashed as well. How about trying 01's? That's probably the next best thing (and should work as well) ^^;;;

Upon more observation, it seems as though what I previously thought were growths are not as they appear to be; I changed other things to FF, but that didn't work. I have been able to get HP STR MAG to 255%, but the other stuff just seems to crash the game :/

Has anybody found the offset for growths and what not?

Yeah. I don't see them in the memory though (i.e the game saves).

Ilyana is at 0x0000014C, that is to say, where the HP starts... >_>

Alright, I'll look into that, wonder what's up : o

EDIT

Hmm, that address looks fine to me. Have you only tried FF's or have you tried other values as well (like 64 or even FE)? I'm thinking FF's might be almost as dodgy as 00's...

Yeah. I don't see them in the memory though (i.e the game saves).

Alright, I'll look into that, wonder what's up : o

EDIT

Hmm, that address looks fine to me. Have you only tried FF's or have you tried other values as well (like 64 or even FE)? I'm thinking FF's might be almost as dodgy as 00's...

Well, i'm editing the compressed data...

I used FFs for Strength, HP, and Magic, and THAT worked. The main reason it's taking so long is that I have to change something, then put it in places I know that file is at with trucha...then burn the new iso, test it, and go. I'm running out of DVDs >_>

I was referring to the compressed file. However most of the growths seem to be uncompressed anyway, and they correspond with the growths in the uncompressed file.

Hmm, well I'm only guessing, but you might have got lucky with those three values. The compression scheme might not like more than 3 or 4 FF's in a row for instance. In general, 00's and FF's are the most important values in code (how I see it anyway), so they're probably the most problematic to use as well.

I'm pretty sure all 64's work fine for the Japanese growths, but the growths are "compressed" slightly differently for some reason. Hence why I suggested using other values (the difference between 254% and 255% isn't too noticable, for example).

I was referring to the compressed file. However most of the growths seem to be uncompressed anyway, and they correspond with the growths in the uncompressed file.

Hmm, well I'm only guessing, but you might have got lucky with those three values. The compression scheme might not like more than 3 or 4 FF's in a row for instance. In general, 00's and FF's are the most important values in code (how I see it anyway), so they're probably the most problematic to use as well.

I'm pretty sure all 64's work fine for the Japanese growths, but the growths are "compressed" slightly differently for some reason. Hence why I suggested using other values (the difference between 254% and 255% isn't too noticable, for example).

Yeah, I'll try that; I noticed that the compression almost never cuts all the growths out...But, for instance, I found what I believe to be Volke...and only the first four are present. *shrug*

I'll try something other than FF and 00 when I get around to it...It should be noted that I did the same thing with Michaiah, too...

For now, I'm going to try to pin down the compression algorithm so we can recompress a decompressed file >_>

I see what you mean. It does look like Volke's growths are more compressed. I guess most other growths just got lucky ^^;;;

Anyway, if it helps, I think the compression is similar or identical to one of the schemes used in the GBA FEs (not that I know much about those), hence why one of the tools is named fegbadc. I probably mentioned something similar before, though.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has captured my interest...

I would assume it's fairly straightforward, but is there any documented data as to the locations of any changeable data in the savefiles or the FE10 ISO itself, other than what's mentioned in this topic? I plan on buying a modchip and a few other hacking tools in the next few weeks, and I figure hacking FE10 would be a good summer project, other than helping restore Zophar's Domain, and this is really the only FE game I have any interest to mess with that I haven't already.

Sorry if this is unacceptable necroposting; I didn't see anything in the rules, but the topic's only been dead about a week.

Well, here's a quote from a PM I sent to somebody asking for something similar. Once you understand what I've said, it's pretty easy to figure things out from there ^^

Important character data starts from ~0 and ends at ~1BA0 (order is same as the Growths file)

Boss data starts at ~58A0 and ends at ~62A0

Generic enemy/NPC data makes up the 1BA0~58A0 and continues up to ~9250

Class data starts at ~9260 and ends at ~DF30

Item data starts at ~DF70 and ends a long time after ~10C00

Some not-so-random files:

Basic class data

Item order

To start off, I'm assuming you have the ISO decompiled or can do so. The main file that you want to edit is FE10Data.cms. If you check it out, it's pretty obvious that it's compressed, but you can decompress it using DT's tools that I posted in the FE10 hacking topic.

To actually modify the game, you'll need to modify the compressed file, so it's kind of limited by your understanding of the compression method (I don't have any, so I just guess what to change...). I'll be referring to the uncompressed file from now on, since it's easier to read : P

Anyway, basically, the basic layout of stats is very similar to the GBA FEs.

The character stat additions and growth rates follow the order: HP, STR, MAG, SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES (BLD?, MOV?). Class bases and growth rates also follow the same order.

The weapon stats follow the order: Icon ID, Cost per use (two bytes), Might, Hit, Critical, Weight, Number of Uses, Weapon experience, Range (two bytes). Cost per use fills the second byte first, and then the first one when it reaches large numbers. Range's first byte lists the minimum range and the second byte lists the maximum range (eg. 03 0A for 3~10 range).

With those, it should be pretty easy to figure out what's what in the file. However, that's only half the story. There are four-byte pointers all over the place. These pointers determine pretty much every non stat-based element, eg. character's name, affinity, skills etc. The number of pointers can change as well IIRC.

You can easily figure out what they do by changing that pointer into an address and going down two columns (on your hex editor). Eg. 00 03 41 9A points to the address 341BA. Many of the pointers should refer to some kind of internal name (watch out, some might be in Japanese, so they don't show up in some hex editors).

Anyway, I think that's pretty much it. You can also apply the pointer information to other files, although the address offset might be different. Just a note- changing some files or data might not have a noticable effect (kind of like class in the GBA character data).