Equippable Staves

Allan's Aokage

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should the equippable staves make a return?

Featured only in Radiant Dawn (unless it has popped up in one of the Famicom/Super Famicom games), giving anyone who has Staves the ability to attack in 1-range while they're equipped.

I'd prefer to keep them out of the system; while using them as weapons doesn't take up uses (?), staff users have pitiful Str (unless you're named Ilyana) and the staves have low Mt, so you'll do 0 damage with pretty high Crit and Hit. And it stops you from counter-attacking with Magic (if you use a promoted class to do so), so it ends up encouraging one to use other Healers as opposed to letting a Sage take over heal duties once they get a new class.

So. Opinions?

Resire as their counter-attack like in FE2 would be better. I'd say yes to equipping staves so long as they're not automatically equipped after using their healing effect.

I should think that more things like the rescue staff would have made it more appealing. +5 spd and +4 def?

If all the staves had +(rank + 1) str on it or something, and small bonuses to one or two other stats, it would be more useful. All staves are 1mt, so the Ashera Staff and Matrona Staff would have +8 str, effectively 9 mt. Which is quite low considering their str so it isn't as if staves would suddenly replace magic or anything. And it avoids having the large mt tripled with dragon/bird/beast foe skills. They get 3 mt + 4 str instead of 15 mt with a C rank staff this way. It gets the best of two worlds: They do more damage to normal enemies, but they don't go from 5 mt to 15 mt with a foe skill, just 5 mt to 7 mt. And Matrona staff doesn't have 27 mt against dragons with dragonfoe, but with 9 mt on normal enemies and 11 mt on dragons it means that the thing sucks less and doesn't become too strong with skills.

(I'm using E = +2str, D = +3str, C = +4str, etc, with staves still having mt = 1. SS has +8 str.)

Some staves could have +3 def and +2 spd, others could have +5 lck and +3 skl and +1 def. It isn't like they'd ever be pulling the str to do disgusting things with them. Even Elincia has no motivation because of Amiti. (She is the strongest staff user). It would just suck less. It also means Laura would actually cause damage in part 1 (provided the attacker can't KO her). So maybe she could get extra exp. Crit would maybe not be allowed to be as high, but it could still be in the 40s or more for later staves.

I said no, but if they weren't autoeuipped like in FE10, and they were like Narga said, then I'd say yes.

Also, maybe allow player-phase attacking with them, that could be good for Mage-killing.

Edited by CrashGordon94

I should think that more things like the rescue staff would have made it more appealing. +5 spd and +4 def?

If the staff user's getting doubled and the SPD boost would prevent it, then yeah but otherwise, Resire would be better (assuming more hit and good MAG of course).

Edited by Vergil

If the staff user's getting doubled and the SPD boost would prevent it, then yeah but otherwise, Resire would be better (assuming more hit and good MAG of course).

Resire would be better than most options, though. Is it mag + 0 in that game? Seems like it. That could be better without being too good. That's what I was going for, mostly. Good but not too good. And the spd boost can sometimes allow for doubling, or preventing getting doubled. Just think about Rhys in part 3. He gets doubled by so much. With a +3 spd staff, he'd be like Mist. Maybe better. Don't get doubled, doesn't get OHKOd by anything, avoids crits by almost everything thanks to his lck. It would be a big improvement. But none of the healing staves give +spd in RD. Just Unlock, Ward, Hammerne and Rescue. Imagine if Rescue's boosts was on Mend or Physic. I wouldn't have to worry about Rhys anymore.

Assuming sages will be better generally in future games, equippable staves will hurt their enemy phase a lot.

It also means Laura would actually cause damage in part 1 (provided the attacker can't KO her).

How often does this realistically happen w/out BEXP though?

I think the peg knights in chapter 6 might be weak enough to not kill her, but other than that?

Also, maybe allow player-phase attacking with them, that could be good for Mage-killing.

Should laguz types, if they return, get a player phase attack while untransformed? Admittedly, many of them would be putting themselves in the KO range since taking more than one attack untransformed can be pretty risky, but if they can get a KO on the first hit it might work out OK.

Just think about Rhys in part 3. He gets doubled by so much. With a +3 spd staff, he'd be like Mist. Maybe better. Don't get doubled, doesn't get OHKOd by anything, avoids crits by almost everything thanks to his lck. It would be a big improvement. But none of the healing staves give +spd in RD. Just Unlock, Ward, Hammerne and Rescue. Imagine if Rescue's boosts was on Mend or Physic. I wouldn't have to worry about Rhys anymore.

Ya well I think you'd still have to worry a bit about him, need to keep him behind other units, but at least he can take one 1-2 range attack w/out taking a huge risk. That means you can have him move up to the front line after your melee units have ended their turn to heal up, instead of healing first and then attacking (which is wat I would sometimes have to do).