Red Fox of Fire's character review topic (Complete)

Florete

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Volug, I don't think he is deserving of a higher score than Sothe. They're both really useful in part 1, but Volug can't steal, gains bad exp, and suffers from the laguz transformation gauge. Even if he does have a monopoly on olivi grass, it still seems to risky for my tastes and ineffective for my tastes.

Also, is Volug really one rounding everything in hard mode? I seem to recall him acting similar to Sothe in that they would just weaken enemies allowing people like Aran, Nolan, Jill, etc. to get kills. Personally, the fact that he doesn't one round is better than him one rounding in my opinion. That's just my opinion though.

About Volug, I don't think he is deserving of a higher score than Sothe. They're both really useful in part 1, but Volug can't steal, gains bad exp, and suffers from the laguz transformation gauge. Even if he does have a monopoly on olivi grass, it still seems to risky for my tastes and ineffective for my tastes.

Also, is Volug really one rounding everything in hard mode? I seem to recall him acting similar to Sothe in that they would just weaken enemies allowing people like Aran, Nolan, Jill, etc. to get kills. Personally, the fact that he doesn't one round is better than him one rounding in my opinion. That's just my opinion though.

The wolf transformation gauge is hardly a problem and Volug is flat out better than Sothe in Part 3. Volug is also flat out better than Sothe in part 4 combat wise. Sothe's thieving utility outside of Part 1 is 4-3, and that's only finding items (which anyone can do). Sothe's thieving utility in Part 1 is minimal as well.

As for ORKOs, Volug will ORKO in Part 1 pretty much as long as he doubles. He'll have some problems towards the end of Part 1, but otherwise he'll do well on that front.

Well, part 1 he doesn't have a transformation gauge. In part 3, it is easily manageable. Like, beyond easy. It doesn't even restrict what he can do compared to the others in his party, unlike most of the other laguz in their respective situations. But I think there are a fair amount more units that Volug doesn't double than RFoF implied. It's hard to say, since she did mention that the number increases. But anything with 16+AS isn't doubled by him and many of them are 3HKOd until he reaches S strike.

He gets: 1 fighter, 1 archer, no soldiers. He needs either S strike or the energy drop just to ORKO the one fighter he can double, ditto on the longbow archer. That leaves mages, armors, priests, 2 fighter reinforcements, and 1 myrm reinforcement (weighed down by a steel blade). I mean, he's still good, I suppose, but Zihark, Tormod, Muarim, Nailah, BK all beat his offence. Even Vika beats his offence until he hits S strike if he didn't get a drop, because she at least doubles all those things he doesn't. 14 enemies he doesn't. Including reinforcements, 5 more for 19 total. Now, Vika and Muarim have gauge issues, but still. Sothe at least is likely to have 21 AS by now, and thus doubles all but the myrms. Steel daggers exist now, too, so he has probably 28 mt (18 base, 3 levels likely gives 2 str) or 30 mt with his Micaiah support if it is still active. That's what no-drop Volug has when he hits S strike, only Volug ain't doubling those 19 enemies.

Anyway, Volug's 25mt stops ORKOing stuff not obvious like armors as early as 1-6-1 (myrms with 16+ AS), a soldier in 1-6-2 and all of them beyond that, fighters in 1-7, and 5RKOs some bandits in 1-8. Zihark can ORKO the things with a brave. Volug only doubles 3 out of 7 of them, and while he 2RKOs those (4 hits), there aren't any with 16+ AS that he 4HKOs. 4 bandits are 5RKOd by Volug. He might have S strike partway through this chapter, otherwise he needs a drop just to turn those into 3RKOs (29mt against 39hp/16def is 3HKO) or a 4RKO (one guy has 17 def).

Still, on most of those it is a good thing (like RFoF said), since Volug gets 2 wexp anyway and the enemies are near death. The bandits are just a lost cause for units not named Muarim, Tormod, Zihark, Nailah, though, so I shouldn't complain too much on that one.

Anyway, it is likely the durability difference that sets them apart, both in part 1 and part 3, but especially part 3. I suppose once he gets full transform he is also doubling cats while Sothe likely isn't, so there is that too. Also, beastkiller's accuracy. Sometimes I wonder if beastkiller's accuracy and his other weapons' mt issues in part 3 is enough to say 8.5. But I can't see an 8.0, sorry Interceptor. He's of much importance early, still has super accurate 1-2 range against mages (after forging, compared to other units that pull good damage on them in part 1 and their 1-2 range weapons) and can ORKO them at range quite easily. That's good for 1-8. 1-7 is possibly not so great for him, but it is still cool enough what he does in 1-2 until 1-7. Even 1-E.

edit: Oh yeah, fyi, Micaiah 2RKOs the bandits. Putting her, offensively, above a lot of dudes.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Tauroneo

Tauroneo is a rather interesting character to rate. His 'stache only gets him so far, after all. This is one of those guys with strange availability.

He comes in 1-6 and he's awesome. He kills everything and he never dies. Seriously, you probably have to try to get him killed, and even with a Bronze Lance I'm pretty sure he'd kill everything. The only real issue is his mobility, but since he can safely use his full move every turn, it's not that big of a deal. It hurts his usefulness, it's just not the end of the world for him. He still rocks in 1-6.

And then he's gone. Poof. Vanished. You don't see him again until 3-12. He's fairly good for 3-12 and 3-13 since he's still among your more durable units, he's just no longer amazing. He doesn't double anymore so his offense is about average and his mobility is still crap. 3-12 is especially strange for him since he starts on the other side of the map from the rest of the your team and there really isn't much to do there. In 3-13 he makes a good wall, though, so that's pretty cool.

And then in part 4 he's run out of usefulness. I don't think I'd say he's bad, he just isn't good. His base stats are actually fairly low for his level, and since he's now in the realm of underleveled this is a bad thing. His growth spread is decent, but not really enough to make him good again.

There's not much to say about support since he isn't ever around to actually support anyone. If he was, Thunder would be pretty decent, but by the time he is around he's at the point where he's run out of usefulness. In the end, he's spectacular for one chapter, pretty good/decent for another two, and then it's over for him.

6/10

Transfer changes:

Tauroneo cannot reasonably get anything with a Path of Radiance transfer. Therefore, no transfer rating.

Jill

Jill comes flying in on her dragon with her sexy red ponytail to kick some ass from the skies.

She's first usable in 1-6 with Tauroneo and Zihark. Her ability to fly is very useful and allows her to reach some enemies immediately no one else can. Statistically, she's just short of a lot of things. She's often one Speed off of doubling, she has a good Defense base but bad HP base, and her Strength base is surprisingly low, though a forge can mostly fix that issue. Her flight allows things like a quick 1-6-2 clear, though, something she doesn't even need stats for, so she's useful no matter what.

It's not nice that her next two maps restrict her. She'll still have better mobility than most on her indoor maps due to Canto and freely moving up ledges, she just loses 2 move in the process. Depending on how much she'd been used, she should be decent enough statistically to help your team overall.

Part 3 rolls around and she's mostly doing the same thing. She's the only unit who can fly, which is good in a swamp full of untransformed Laguz. She's a good candidate for Beastfoe for her ability to hit-and-run and depending on who she supports she should be able to take a few hits from enemies as well, making her a decent tank for this map.

Then you get to choose where she goes. She can either transfer to the Mercenary team for the remainder of part 3 or stick with the Dawn Brigade, and neither choice is clearly better. If you didn't support her with Zihark, keep her with the Brigade, because leaving means she loses a support and so does someone else. If you did support her with Zihark, they can both go over and, after a bit of catching up, be pretty good partners on that team. The advantage to sticking with the Brigade is that she helps them out more. The advantage to transferring is that she'll be more ready for part 4 because she'll get more levels.

Part 4 also happens to be where she reaches her best point. Her growths finally get to kick in, her flight starts becoming more useful, and she gets to reach her awesome caps. She, like the rest of the Brigade, will be under par when she comes in if she stayed with Micaiah's group, but it shouldn't be so much so that she's necessarily bad, she just might need Paragon for a map. Like I said before, I like supporting her with Volug. This helps making training her in part 4 much easier and allows her to help out a lot on Micaiah's route in the desert. Then Endgame comes around and she gets to show off what is possibly the best set of caps in the game. Needless, once she's gotten off the ground, her part 4 is very good.

Again, I pair her with Volug for the avoid boost. However, if you don't want to or if Volug is not on your team, her Thunder affinity still fits elsewhere. She's good with Zihark for the speed of the support, she gets the same bonuses, he gets much wanted Defense, and they can transfer to Ike's team together. She ought to work well with anyone who wants Defense, like Sothe or Nolan, maybe even Aran for double Thunder. Also, she's a good candidate for an Angelic Robe. Her HP base is surprisingly low and the boost will likely do more for than anyone else on the team. Barring that, an Energy Drop also works well on her, but those hold more competition.

7.5/10

Transfer changes:

Jill can reasonably get Strength, Skill, and Speed with a Path of Radiance transfer. This works wonders for her. I already mentioned that she's often one Speed away from doubling, so guess what? She doubles a lot more now, effectively doubling her offense at base. I also mentioned how she'd like an Energy Drop. Look at that, she already has the boost! The Skill also helps with her forge-less Hit issues.

Basically, Jill is a lot better with a transfer. What was a shaky start gets a lot better and it's much easier to get her up to par later, along with helping more along the way.

8.5/10

If you're going to mention Jill getting paragon, then mention it for everyone else too. Otherwise it's just favoritism. Well in my opinion anyway.

You know, it's sometimes hard to take what you're saying seriously when you always end your posts with "In my opinion". At least it feels that way to me (Lol I just did it)

Anyway, I mentioned Paragon for Jill because she is arguably one of the best users of it due to what it helps her accomplish, but it can generally be understood that all DB units might need a chapter or two of Paragon if they want to be used in part 4 even if I don't mention it.

Jill may also be able to get a def transfer.

She ends up 3.15 def short of capping. A def band will shave off 1.55, leaving 1.6 to go. She has to go iron to not lose def from steel until silver or killer becomes available, she could probably live off def boosting enemies, since they are quite common (soldier/knight/lance knight). Something like killer lance against only soldier types can potentially get her 1.5 def over the cap, though she starts with D lances, so that's not entirely possible. She has enough room to afford uses of iron until killer/silver comes along, so she can get a def transfer, but it'd likely cost her speed.

She ends up 3.15 def short of capping. A def band will shave off 1.55, leaving 1.6 to go. She has to go iron to not lose def from steel until silver or killer becomes available, she could probably live off def boosting enemies, since they are quite common (soldier/knight/lance knight). Something like killer lance against only soldier types can potentially get her 1.5 def over the cap, though she starts with D lances, so that's not entirely possible. She has enough room to afford uses of iron until killer/silver comes along, so she can get a def transfer, but it'd likely cost her speed.

Why, oh, why are you assuming Fixed?

I think that's what was decided on.

The bolded is the problem. From what I remember, there isn't much leeway with what she's already getting (except Skl), and I find the Str and Spd help more than Def. I don't want to do the calculations now (Narga did once before, it's somewhere in the tier topic), though it might be reasonable for her to get a Dracoshield in PoR for the transfer.

That's the best way to do transfers. It leaves chance out of the equation.

Well, it turns out spd and def transfers are mutually exclusive barring a stat booster.

Jill needs 1.55 spd and 3.15 def. There's nothing which boosts speed and defense at the same time, so those 31 levels have to be split between speed and defense. Seeing as each level should gain .15 between speed and defense and she has 31 levels to grow, under optimal conditions, she can gain 4.65 stats total, just .05 short of the 4.7 needed to cap both speed and defense

So if Jill's base level was just 1 less, she could have both a speed and defense transfer.

If you're going to mention Jill getting paragon, then mention it for everyone else too. Otherwise it's just favoritism. Well in my opinion anyway.

You know, it's sometimes hard to take what you're saying seriously when you always end your posts with "In my opinion". At least it feels that way to me (Lol I just did it)

Anyway, I mentioned Paragon for Jill because she is arguably one of the best users of it due to what it helps her accomplish, but it can generally be understood that all DB units might need a chapter or two of Paragon if they want to be used in part 4 even if I don't mention it.

Yeah, I should stop doing that. Maybe. Yeah.....

Anyway, like I was saying it saying something like that may be delving too much into favoritism. Given what you said, I can then say the same for Aran. If I give Aran paragon, he'll level much faster and then will cap str, skl, and def faster allowing for me to use bxp to raise his spd, luk, res, or hp. This is what I did when I played hard mode, and it kind of made chapter 3-13 pretty easy (I essentially just used him, Tauroneo, and Laura. Leonardo helped me kill bird Laguz though. Oh and I also used the NPC characters.) I was even able to bring Aran into the final chapter..... I think he was around lvl 7-8, 10 at most by 3-13, but I believe it was most likely 8.

Anyway, like I was saying it saying something like that may be delving too much into favoritism. Given what you said, I can then say the same for Aran. If I give Aran paragon, he'll level much faster and then will cap str, skl, and def faster allowing for me to use bxp to raise his spd, luk, res, or hp. This is what I did when I played hard mode, and it kind of made chapter 3-13 pretty easy (I essentially just used him, Tauroneo, and Laura. Leonardo helped me kill bird Laguz though. Oh and I also used the NPC characters.) I was even able to bring Aran into the final chapter..... I think he was around lvl 7-8, 10 at most by 3-13, but I believe it was most likely 8.

See, the problem with Aran in HM is that there isn't nearly enough BEXP to get his lower stats up to respectable levels, even if he gets Paragon. Jill's growths are fairly even, so all she needs is natural leveling, making Paragon great for her. Also, it was mentioned for part 4, not part 3. Besides, it's not like I'd assume she gets it for free.

I expected Jill to be a lot higher than 7.5 actually I was always under the impression that her growths are utterly fantastic among the best in the game. but that was probably due to the fact that my non-transfered Jill got 2 or 3 levels where she got no stat ups because she had already maxed everything without abuse of any kind.

Why is there a .1 between Jill(N) and Jill (T) when the idea behind the Micaiah/Nolan gap was that there close on the list? I mean, there's 8 units between Jill(N) and Jill(T), and 5 units, and a tier gap, between Nolan and Micaiah. Not to mention Jill(T) is only 2 spaces above Micaiah currently, yet Jill has a .5 lead and there's even a tier gap between Jill and Nolan, so having teh same score doesn't make sense, really.

See, the problem with Aran in HM is that there isn't nearly enough BEXP to get his lower stats up to respectable levels, even if he gets Paragon. Jill's growths are fairly even, so all she needs is natural leveling, making Paragon great for her. Also, it was mentioned for part 4, not part 3. Besides, it's not like I'd assume she gets it for free.

Then what about someone like Nolan :o

Then what about someone like Nolan :o

see bolded line

@kirsche

I don't think she promised they'd be exact with the tier list. I admit it is interesting if there is an 8.5 in two different tiers. Maybe RFoF thinks that Jill(T) could be in high?

Plus, if Elincia gets an 8.5 (not saying whether or not I think she should/will) then it could make more sense (there has to be somewhere on the list where two adjacent units differ by at least .5. In fact, it must happen in a lot of places. So Elincia over Micaiah by .5 could be fine), though again we have the same score appearing in different tiers. To which I'd again reply that she indicated the scores would be close to the tier list but not exact. Of course, RFoF has indicated in the past the possibility of Micaiah > Elincia, so I'd be surprised if Elincia scores any higher than Micaiah.

Why is there a .1 between Jill(N) and Jill (T) when the idea behind the Micaiah/Nolan gap was that there close on the list? I mean, there's 8 units between Jill(N) and Jill(T), and 5 units, and a tier gap, between Nolan and Micaiah. Not to mention Jill(T) is only 2 spaces above Micaiah currently, yet Jill has a .5 lead and there's even a tier gap between Jill and Nolan, so having teh same score doesn't make sense, really.

First off, it's not a .1 gap, it's a 1 gap, the only decimals in my scores are .5. Second, like Narga said, there has to be places in the list where units right next to each other will have a different score. Third, I did say I would not be strictly following the tier list.

Moar plz.

I like to read your thoughts on each unit. It gives me a rough idea of why units I have little experience with are where they are on the tier list, and as an added bonus, you tend to be correct.

Moar plz.

I like to read your thoughts on each unit. It gives me a rough idea of why units I have little experience with are where they are on the tier list, and as an added bonus, you tend to be correct.

No problem.

Zihark

Zihark: The biggest furry since Grandjackal.*

The third member to join in 1-6-1, and arguably the best overall of the bunch, is Zihark, whom some think looks like Sephiroth. Zihark is kind of like another Sothe for part 1. Good offense, passable defense, though lacking the extras like thievery and auto-A support. Still, he's good. He works as a weakener or a killer in most situations and despite fairly low base defenses, he has a lot of avoid to keep himself alive most of the time. There's also free Adept to help his offense.

Part 3 is a bit of an issue for him. Earth affinity and the avoid it gives is nice and all, but part 3 enemies are pretty accurate and Zihark's concrete defenses are pretty bad. He'll mostly be getting 2 hit KO'd at something like 40-50 hit rates, which isn't awful, but isn't particularly great either. If he supports Jill he might be able to take an extra hit on occasion, but that's about the most of it. His offense is now fairly average as well. He does a lot better in 3-12 than the other two because his avoid is fairly reliable there, and even in the other two he isn't bad, he just needs to hold back on occasion.

His part 4 would be a lot better if he had more Strength. As it stands it isn't too bad because now he can really dodge tank with a full support on Tibarn's route, but fairly low Strength with Swords this late in the game makes training him tough. Once he gets promoted, Astra and the crit boost will help him a hell of a lot, so it isn't like he's unsalvageable, he just requires some work like the rest of the Brigade.

What's nice about Zihark is that he's one of the few you can always count on to do his job when you need him since his bases are what make him as good as he is for a lot of his playtime (depending on how you weigh the maps, part 1 is ~42% of his playtime, and that's also the more important part). His Earth affinity saves him and is, like the last 3, a great help to someone else who wants a big avoid boost, like Jill if they want to transfer to the mercenaries or Nolan or Sothe. Building it is the only issue since the full thing might not be ready for part 3, but that doesn't get in the way too much.

8/10

Transfer changes:

Zihark can reasonably get Strength, Skill, and Speed with a Path of Radiance transfer. The thing is, that only helps offense and slightly helps defense, but what he needs is the other way around. The Strength will definitely help when training him in part 4, but that's not big enough to make a significant difference. As such, no separate transfer score.

Fiona

IS must be racist because Fiona is, as far as I know, the first and only female black character in the series, and yet she sucks terribly. She's one of those characters that makes you wonder if the creators decided to put terrible characters in their game on purpose.

On paper, Fiona looks like the tank. 50+ growths in all of Speed, Luck, Defense, and Resistance, Earth affinity for lots more avoid, Imbue to recover health on her own, Savior to rescue someone else while still being fine herself, and Canto to get herself out of danger in a pinch. Basically, she's supposed to dodge everything, take little damage when hit, and then recover it back on the player phase anyway. Her HP is fairly lacking at only 45% growth, but with everything else that shouldn't be such a big deal.

Unfortunately, that's not what Fiona turns out to be. She has trouble surviving just one enemy in her joining map, 1-7, without any boosting (Note that if you plan to use her a Seraph Robe actually helps quite a bit). She has problems hitting because her Skill is not that good, and even though this can be mostly averted with a forge, she still has no chance of hitting often with a Javelin. Even if she could hit she does crap for damage, and if she doesn't kill she risks being killed. In short, she's worthless. IS couldn't even give her the full benefit of her class because her first two maps, which are also her only maps in part 1, make her lose 2 move, bringing her mobility down to that of your other tier 1 units aside from Canto, but also unable to jump ledges, which both of her first two maps have.

Even when part 3 comes she hasn't been given a break. If you can manage to baby her enough in part 1 to where she can survive at least one enemy (It takes until 20/1 for most enemies, and even then some Cats can still get her due to doubling if she doesn't have any boosters or a +Def support) IS decides to say "Fuck her" and keeps her from accessing two-thirds of the map. So yeah.

3-12 finally allows her to be unrestricted. Of course, unless you took 50 turns in part 1 abusing the hell out of enemies to get her properly leveled, she's still going to suck, so it isn't worth that much. 3-13 goes back into "We hate Fiona" mode and cuts her move and puts ledges in for her to not jump with her horse.

If you can somehow level her well enough for Endgame, she actually has really good caps and a good SS weapon to use, along with Earth affinity being really nice for her and a partner, but the effort it takes to get her there is absurd. Whenever I do use her I support her with Jill because Jill likes the avoid and Fiona likes the Defense, and also because both are good in Endgame when leveled enough.

With everything about her, it's really not surprising people think of her as the worst character in the game. An alternative method of rating/ranking her could be keeping her out of combat and having her perform utility tasks like Rescuing and ledge blocking in part 3 since her slot there is free, and this is what gives her a greater than 0 score.

0.5/10

*Credit to Bblader for the furry joke.

Edited by Yui

Second, like Narga said, there has to be places in the list where units right next to each other will have a different score. Third, I did say I would not be strictly following the tier list.

OK, but next time you argue against the idea that a gap should rise you should state why the gap is there, not "they're close to each other on the tier list" because, as you amitted here, just because they're close on the tier list, doesn't mean they should have such a similar score.

Second, like Narga said, there has to be places in the list where units right next to each other will have a different score. Third, I did say I would not be strictly following the tier list.

OK, but next time you argue against the idea that a gap should rise you should state why the gap is there, not "they're close to each other on the tier list" because, as you amitted here, just because they're close on the tier list, doesn't mean they should have such a similar score.

But that's not even what I did the first time, as you can see here:

You are the only one who has a problem so far. I can't say I'm surprised.

So let me ask you this; if someone like narga or colonel M pointed out the problem with your Nolan/Micaiah gap, you would listen to them?

If Narga or Colonel M pointed it out as a problem, I'd ask why they seem accepting of Micaiah and Nolan's current tier positions.