Red Fox of Fire's character review topic (Complete)

Florete

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Settle down kids.

Vika

Vika is an example of IS just screwing with us. 400% total growth, five 60+ growths (and one 50%). However, her two lowest growths are Strength at 25% and Defense at 15%...What the hell? The Defense I could probably manage on account of her 305% avoid growth, but such low Strength when she has 50% Magic is just mean. And then her obvious availability issues, same as Tormod and Muarim.

Despite that, she's still fairly helpful when she's around. There's the obvious problem of staying transformed with minimal Olivi Grass, and 25 base atk mostly limits her to weakening enemies, so she isn't good, but she's not exactly detrimental either. If you can manage to get her transformed in time, she can be helpful in saving the Prisoners in 1-8 due to her being the only flying unit deployable. She has a lot of avoid and decent concrete durability so she shouldn't have too many durability issues unless she gets nailed by an Archer up a ledge on 1-E.

Come part 4, bleh. Useless. 30 Speed still doubles a good amount of enemies but 25 atk doesn't even damage some enemies. Then Wind affinity, lol. Feed her to the Sleep staff.

3/10

Nailah

I have a theory on why there were no Wolves in Path of Radiance. IS was experimenting with their new Laguz idea and weren't sure if they would be any good. However, they love Wolves and want to make sure Wolves are some of the best characters in the game, so they waited until they were sure they could do it right before adding any Wolves to the Fire Emblem universe. Then Volug and Nailah were born.

Okay, so maybe that's a load of crap. Still, I think IS must really like Wolves. I already did Volug (...), so now look at Nailah. She joins in 1-8. She will never die, since even untransformed she has better durability than like anyone else. She will kill anything she can get her Fangs on because 38 Speed doubles literally everything until 4-E-5 and 54 atk kills a lot of part 1 enemies in one hit anyway. And Formshift makes sure she stays transformed. She has innate Glare as well, but that's not very accurate and it's probably better for her to just kill the enemy herself. She's pretty much the best character you have for 1-8 and 1-E and the reason they can be done so fast, earning her major points since there are only a few great units otherwise, all of whom have some kind of issue hindering them (Olivi Grass, mobility, etc.).

Unlike everyone else who leaves part 1 until part 4, Nailah is actually still really good when she shows up again. She's no longer a Goddess among mortals, she's just really good now. It also helps that she's on Ike's route with 4-4, one of the harder maps in the game, especially when aiming for max bonus experience.

I must admit that 54 atk can be a bit low for Endgame, mostly because of those damn Generals, and 30% Strength growth with low experience gain doesn't really help, but it isn't bad and 46% Savage will often cover for it. She's still one of the better units you can choose to bring to Endgame. Low availability is the only reason she doesn't get a higher score.

8.5/10

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Settle down kids.

Nailah

I have a theory on why there were no Wolves in Path of Radiance. IS was experimenting with their new Laguz idea and weren't sure if they would be any good. However, they love Wolves and want to make sure Wolves are some of the best characters in the game, so they waited until they were sure they could do it right before adding any Wolves to the Fire Emblem universe. Then Volug and Nailah were born.

Okay, so maybe that's a load of crap. Still, I think IS must really like Wolves. I already did Volug (...), so now look at Nailah. She joins in 1-8. She will never die, since even untransformed she has better durability than like anyone else. She will kill anything she can get her Fangs on because 38 Speed doubles literally everything until 4-E-5 and 54 atk kills a lot of part 1 enemies in one hit anyway. And Formshift makes sure she stays transformed. She has innate Glare as well, but that's not very accurate and it's probably better for her to just kill the enemy herself. She's pretty much the best character you have for 1-8 and 1-E and the reason they can be done so fast, earning her major points since there are only a few great units otherwise, all of whom have some kind of issue hindering them (Olivi Grass, mobility, etc.).

Unlike everyone else who leaves part 1 until part 4, Nailah is actually still really good when she shows up again. She's no longer a Goddess among mortals, she's just really good now. It also helps that she's on Ike's route with 4-4, one of the harder maps in the game, especially when aiming for max bonus experience.

I must admit that 54 atk can be a bit low for Endgame, mostly because of those damn Generals, and 30% Strength growth with low experience gain doesn't really help, but it isn't bad and 46% Savage will often cover for it. She's still one of the better units you can choose to bring to Endgame. Low availability is the only reason she doesn't get a higher score.

8.5/10

Maor Pl0x!

Anyway, I think that rating of Naliah is quite fair. Because she is the only female royal, that gives her extra points in my book. ;D

Edited by Bryan

Settle down kids.

Nailah

8.5/10

Maor Pl0x!

Anyway, I think that rating of Naliah is quite fair. Because she is the only female royal, that gives her extra points in my book. ;D

Nailah, an example of that old paradox, "if you hit it, you're a furry, if you don't, you're gay". Isn't that so?

So next is Rafiel, and then what? Will you be rating the Burger King?

EDIT: I can't believe I got a dot from a post like this.

Edited by Naglfar

Settle down kids.

Nailah

8.5/10

Maor Pl0x!

Nailah, an example of that old paradox, "if you hit it, you're a furry, if you don't, you're gay". Isn't that so?

So next is Rafiel, and then what? Will you be rating the Burger King?

EDIT: I can't believe I got a dot from a post like this.

Congrats on the third dot.

Yep. Naliah is pretty hot. Although, I don't like her tattoos.

Vika

2.5/10

Poor poor Vika. I'd say more, but I'm not sure what I think she should get. I'm not necessarily willing to say 3.5, and 3.0 falls into the 2.5 +/- 0.5 range.

I'll say this, though. Her 1-7 only really matters if you care about saving all the prisoners (Tormod takes out a mage, Muarim and Vika go and kill a soldier then open the door). Her 1-8 only matters if you care about saving all the citizens (Tormod KOs the draco and while a bandit she normally blocks will end up killing 2 or 3 civilians if she isn't in his way, he won't be able to kill more than that and thus the chapter can still be completed). Her 1-E doesn't matter much at all, probably. Depending on the value placed in saving more green units, her score can go up to 3.5 easily (possibly even 4.0), or down to this 2.5 is reasonable with different goals.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Nope, not without a Chest Key. And it was only enemy Ravens in PoR who could do that IIRC.

Fool! The only controllable raven in FE9 was Naesala, only around for the final chapter, where there were no chests.

There were just a handful of ravens in ch14 or something who could open chests. Not even all of them could do it, it seems.

If there's just a flat margin of error on all ratings, you may as well get rid of the "half point" intervals :P :P

If you can manage to get her transformed in time, she can be helpful in saving the Prisoners in 1-8 due to her being the only flying unit deployable.

You don't actually need to transform her. She can block the wyvern knight long enough (IIRC 1 turn) for Tormod to zap him with an elthunder (32 pwr VS 31 HP and 0 res) and then move her up to block the bandit. You might need to shove him w/ muarim to do this, but since the bandits in the bottom are fairly low priority and muarim can actually take several hits from them, it's not a big issue. She does need healing but she should be fine.

I actually prefer this, since I can use her transformation to help attack the enemies on the bottom right when the rest of the DB reaches that area. I don't think I could do a 6 turn finish without her. Actually, I don't know that I could do w/out any of the req'd units unless I could move DB units to their positions.

She has a lot of avoid and decent concrete durability so she shouldn't have too many durability issues unless she gets nailed by an Archer up a ledge on 1-E.

Has somebody forgotten about the longbow archer on the balcony where the door is one too many times?

(Tormod KOs the draco and while a bandit she normally blocks will end up killing 2 or 3 civilians if she isn't in his way, he won't be able to kill more than that and thus the chapter can still be completed)

Still, since the units are going to be deployed anyway, and it seems odd to me that she wouldn't get positive consideration for doing something you'd be stupid not to do. (or BEXP averse)

If there's just a flat margin of error on all ratings, you may as well get rid of the "half point" intervals :P :P

But currently she can say 7.5 and that covers 7 and 8. If you get rid of the half-points, then saying 7 means 7. Or means 6.5 to 7.5. Besides, with 70+ characters, it's better to have 21 different values to give them rather than 11 (she's using 0 to 10). More differentiation.

And again, the +/- 0.5 is more to avoid small arguments and focus on the bigger ones. It likely isn't because she can't narrow it down more on her own.

(Tormod KOs the draco and while a bandit she normally blocks will end up killing 2 or 3 civilians if she isn't in his way, he won't be able to kill more than that and thus the chapter can still be completed)

Still, since the units are going to be deployed anyway, and it seems odd to me that she wouldn't get positive consideration for doing something you'd be stupid not to do. (or BEXP averse)

I'm not saying not to use her. I'm looking at the value she brings to 1-8 by seeing what happens if she isn't there. Her worth in that chapter can then be determined by how much we value what we lack without her.

Rafiel

I get kind of annoyed with Rafiel at times. Sure, his abilities are great and highly valuable, his problems just feel like they get in the way a lot.

He comes in 1-8 at the top left with Volug and Nailah. It's nice that he's able to Vigor up to 4 units per turn, the problem is that getting 4 units in a diamond formation on this map with all the annoying terrain and Rafiel's bad mobility means he'll usually only get 2, maybe 3. Not to mention that he dies if attacked. 1-E is a bit better because it lacks the terrain, but now everyone is so packed in that there are plenty of areas where making diamond formations just isn't plausible. This isn't to say he's bad or not useful, he just can't use his abilities to their full potential. He's still a pretty big help towards chapter completion due to what his abilities bring to the field. Not being able to jump ledges when transformed is annoying and pointless, though.

It's not much different in part 4. He's still useful, just unable to make full use of his abilities. 4-1 is in Fog-of-War and also happens to be a 3 front battle, so he has to be careful where he goes since Pegasi are flying around and he's still likely only able to Vigor 2-3 units. 4-4 is like 1-E with a lot of cramped corridor, and it also has a good deal or ranged enemies and a Meteor Sage to screw with him. Once again, helpful, but limited.

There are a lot of arguments as to whether Rafiel or Reyson is the best Heron for 4-E. I'll always believe Reyson, but that's not to say Rafiel is bad there. He's still very useful for being able to Vigor four units without even needing to transform and will ultimately make Endgame go much faster.

Of course, Vigor isn't all he has. After 3 levels he can use Bliss and Sorrow, Bliss of which can be very useful in a pinch, like when Ike has to kill Ashera in 4-E-5. He also has 6->12 base Magic for Blessing healing which can be useful if your healer is unable to reach someone who's hurt. Heaven affinity can be useful near the end when enemy avoid goes up a lot, but there might not be anyone left for him to support. His mobility and durability leave much to be desired, but he's still a very helpful unit.

8/10

Black Knight

I didn't have a spoiler warning, but then again, if you're reading this, it's unlikely you don't already know everything about this guy anyway, so I don't think I need to worry.

Zelgius here is only available for use in 3 maps: 1-9, 1-E and 3-6. In 1-9 he's practically necessary; it's just him and Micaiah, and we all know how durable Micaiah isn't. I once tried to make Micaiah the MVP of this map in NM, but I think BK still ended up winning even though Micaiah had been Battle Save abused to the max for lots of Speed and some HP and Defense. 1-E he isn't as valuable because you have everyone else including Queen Nailah, but he's still pretty cool because he can't die and kills everything at 1-2 range. Mobility is what holds him back from being absolute best, but #2 is not too shabby.

Then he disappoofs for a while like everyone else on the team. He comes about halfway through 3-6 to continue slaughtering, though at this point your team should be stabalized and clean-up might even be all that's left, so his value here is diminished by the fact that he just doesn't come in time.

His score really depends on how much weight you put to 1-9, since although he's good in the other two maps, it's easier to lower the value on them due to noted circumstances. He's about as close to being necessary without actually reaching that status as a character can get, so that earns him a lot of points.

7.5/10

You should also mention that Rafiel is the only Heron without a flying weakness. That helps on occasions, specifically in the case of the 4-E-1 Blizzard sage. The fact that he never really needs to transform to be really useful is also something nice to mention.

You should also mention that Rafiel is the only Heron without a flying weakness. That helps on occasions, specifically in the case of the 4-E-1 Blizzard sage. The fact that he never really needs to transform to be really useful is also something nice to mention.

I didn't mention the lack of flying weakness because most everything kills him anyway. I did mention not needing to transform:

He's still very useful for being able to Vigor four units without even needing to transform and will ultimately make Endgame go much faster.

But then there's also:

Not being able to jump ledges when transformed is annoying and pointless, though.

Rafiel is the best heron untransformed, better than Reyson even; not taking STATS into account of course, only in context for abilities.

Of course, nobody really cares all that much about a heron's stats, right?

Personally I prefer Rafiel for endgame. I don't find myself willing to give up one of Reyson's moves to use a Laguz Gem or something except on 4-E-1 and 4-E-3. And if he uses a stone on the other three chapters, he might not even see action. In endgame he only has flying over Rafiel, where Rafiel is, as you said, Fox, going to make Endgame much faster. Perhaps you prefer Reyson for flying over gaps or something, but there are lots of units to vigor and I stick the heron the boots and Celerity so they're getting wherever they need to be anyway. Plus Rafiel can have his refreshed units kill or block off what's threatening him so he doesn't need Reyson's Canto, either. And I don't think spirits are killing anyone, even him. So what's your reasoning for preferring Reyson? I don't quite understand.

I dunno what Leanne looks like at this point, but reyson's res is high enough that this is still a nonissue. And since you are probably transforming reyson on turn one, he probably won't be doubled. Rafiel is probably doubled even when transformed, and if you do bother to transform him he is wasting his main advantage over reyson which is being able to vigor 4 units during your first turn. (while reyson has flying, more move and canto)

Hm, perhaps I ought to take this faster.

Elincia

Part 1 ends with a BANG (!)(?) and part 2 comes to give us a brand new set if characters, Elincia being the first. It's nice to be able to say she's much better here than she was in the last game.

So in 2-P, Elincia honestly doesn't do much. She doesn't do much damage and would need to activate at least one Stun, 2 in some cases, for her damage to be significant. She's the only healer, but you also only have 1 other unit really taking damage, and even then it's not too often. So in 2-P, Elincia is a bit useful but definitely not detrimental because she's not dying anytime soon. Skip to 2-E and suddenly Elincia has become the MVP of the place. She's acquired Amiti, her own unlimited, +6 MT, 3 Defense, and 3 Resistance Brave Sword. She's still the only healer, with Physic as well, but now pretty much everyone can take significant damage and will be in need of healing, so it's much more valuable. She kills almost everything in one round with no problem on top of having ~37.6% Stun before any enemy could attack her on player phase. Oh, and she flies. Hawt. This leaves her susceptible to Bow wielding enemies, especially Bowguns, but this just means she needs to kill them on player phase.

She waits until part 4 to re-join the fight. She's still fairly good now, just not as good as before. Her base stats are actually fairly low for her level, and this is where it shows. She'll have a hard time doubling (aka quadding with Amiti) and her durability is not that good, but she is the only healer forced to the route and she can still fly, which is always awesome. She's likely the best investment of Paragon here because her offensive growths are amazing (65% Strength, 50% Skill, 70% Speed, 60% Luck. Crazy). This will get her doubling (again, quadding) much faster than normal and help her survive better with the extra avoid. Considering she's the only flying healer and also grows into some of the game's best offense, this is pretty awesome. Pre-Endgame for Elincia is like this; healing (more of it in 4-5) and quadding. And on the defensive end, she's also a great Imbue candidate, as she's one of very few units with questionable durability and a good Magic stat that can use it. Competition for it is low as it is, so this isn't a big problem. Combined with innate Renewal, this is 20 HP recovered at the start of every player phase before staff recovery, which is a bit more than half her HP.

Of course, given her situation, she's a great Endgame candidate. I shouldn't have to explain why at this point. Her low Strength cap is shadowed by her awesome Sword and Wyrmslayers against Dragons and she's still a great healer. She's tough to judge in the way of support, seeing as she's a late arriver, but her Heaven affinity can be useful for the high avoid enemies late in the game. Her best option is Lucia for the big avoid boost, the problem being Lucia's own usefulness.

8/10

Transfer changes:

Elincia can reasonably get Magic, Skill, and Speed from a transfer. This doesn't do much in part 2 aside from 1 more Physic range, a slight boost to Stun activation, and a bit more quadding. It is actually quite helpful in part 4 though, since it means she starts quadding there much sooner and might not even need Paragon at all (though it's still nice for a map).

8.5/10

Marcia

Everyone loves pink hair. Right?

Marcia comes with Elincia and the others in 2-P. She and Nealuchi are your offensive units for the first half (4 turns) of the chapter. Both two round, so together they can take out one enemy per turn, two with Leanne's help, and 3 with proper enemy phase work (turn-by-turn guide still under construction). Marcia should be getting all or most of the kills simply because she's the only one that won't be getting 1 experience for it. She's kind of worthless against the boss, but it doesn't matter at that point.

2-3 is where we see her next. Now she gets to have fun with her brother and his friends until she sells him to Astrid. She's still pretty cool here since she's the only flier and she has access to all three great Lances we're thrown, Horseslayer being the big one for her. Whether going for a slaughterfest or max BEXP, she'll come in handy here for sure. 2-E is worse for her but still not bad. She has trouble doing significant damage to all the high Defense enemies, so she'll mostly stick to stuff like Mages and hit-and-run tactics from above the main ledge. Still, 2-E is one of those maps where you need everyone you can get, so she's helpful.

3-9 is where things get tricky. She's got a good claim on Paragon, but the problem now is that she needs higher amounts of Speed (~24 on average) to double consistently, which she doesn't reach until ~level 11. Knowing that, damage output won't be great for her since she isn't exactly shining in the Strength department. However, it's not like anyone else doubles, and her flight is the best thing to help save burning villages, so once again she's nice to have around.

She, like the rest of Crimean's Royal Knights, will start lacking when she joins Ike's group in 3-11. I don't want to say she's bad, but she's not particularly good either. She'll likely need another map of Paragon and may also need an Energy Drop and some extra BEXP. She takes a bit of effort, but she'll be fairly good when applied. Like before, flight helps a lot. Hole blocking, desert jumping, the works. She just so happens to be in a class with pretty good caps and a good choice of SS weapon, so if she can get there, she'll be a good Endgame candidate. Don't forget Wyrmslayers for those pesky Dragons.

As for support, she'll be a good partner for any other CRK you plan to use with her atk boost Fire affinity, or barring them, Tanith or a Hawk, Tanith likely being her best option for the avoid boost and mobility matching.

What keeps Marcia down is her availability. She's decent when she's around, just not great, and she's not around that often. Needing extra attention to keep up does not help her case.

6/10

Transfer changes:

Marcia can reasonably get Strength, Skill, and Speed with a transfer. This is a big help. Strength was one of her bigger problem areas, so the boost in that will help her everywhere. Skill doesn't do much except for higher Stun activation in third tier, but it's nice since her growth is fairly low. Speed is awesome because it gets her to doubling Speed later in the game much faster than before and also helps her against some immediate enemies as well. Overall, the transfer makes her better to start and in less need of extra effort later.

6.5/10

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Part 1 ends with a BANG

I'm definitely taking that the wrong way.

Beyond that, the ratings are good enough that I won't complain about them.

Its a Micaiah - Sothe - Pelleas Threesome. Duhh! ;)

Fox, You should also mention that Elinca has a MAG cap of 30, and with Imbue, shes healing 30hp per turn! It greatly helps her durability.

Part 1 ends with a BANG

I'm definitely taking that the wrong way.

Beyond that, the ratings are good enough that I won't complain about them.

No take out of context. You need the (!)(?).

But yeah, I'm not even sure what I mean with that.

Fox, You should also mention that Elinca has a MAG cap of 30, and with Imbue, shes healing 30hp per turn! It greatly helps her durability.

Can't believe I forgot. I edited that in.

Cool :)

I can't wait for Leanne's & Nealuchi Post. They are both so bad :)

Edited by Bryan

Cool :)

I can't wait for Leanne's & Nealuchi Post. They are both so bad :)

Quoi?

As for Elincia, she has very many amazing skill options.

Cancel, for one. Helps player phase durability only, sure, but two shots at either cancel or stun to prevent taking damage? With 25 skill and 30 spd (for example) that is only a 27.5625% that she will even face a counter. Throw on top of that her amazing spd + luck combination and possibly an earth support or even just thunder/wind/dark and she's facing low chances of taking any damage on player phase.

Adept. Whenever she 3HKOs, this puppy gives her two shots at avoiding a counter as well. With 25 skill and 30 spd (for example) that is also just a 27.5625% chance of facing a counter. Or if she 5HKOs something it is 4 shots at stun or adept. 25% stun, 30% adept, translates to just a 7.5969140625% chance of leaving the enemy alive. Over 92% proc for the KO (and that's just at level 12 or 13). Also helps with cats and hawks in 4-5 since she likely 3HKOs and doesn't double without getting a little blessed or hyper leveled.

Imbue. As mentioned, combined with her natural Renewal gives her a pretty crazy self heal rate. Then consider she might physic some unit and if we don't need her enemy phase on that particular turn she recovers 40hp at base. Only has 36 max hp at base.

Paragon. Sadly takes up 15 capacity, best used in 4-2 then on others from 4-5 on. Also mentioned by RFoF already.

Corrosion. I suppose. (skill/2)%, but if adept and cancel are both gone, she still pulls 26 skill at level 11. 26% stun, 13% corrosion. 51 uses off so it breaks everything breakable (except some fe5 prf weapons, but those don't exist here). Still gets up to ~58% no counters on player phase.

With 4 skills out there (not counting paragon since it is only 4-2) that she basically uses the best out of everyone, she's bound to get something that makes her better than she already is.

Edited by Narga_Rocks