Google Ads

Jyosua

I had to move the google ads back to the top of the page because ever since I placed them at the bottom, the lack of clicks have made it so that rather then cover a single server payment every other month, it started only covering a server payment every 3 months, and not always entirely at that. Which made my out of pocket to ads ratio 2:1 rather than 1:1. Sorry guys.

I originally placed them there, because personally I hate having them at the top; they ugly up the pretty layout. But the clickrate went down, so I have to put them back again.

If everyone on the forum clicked the ads three times, how many months would that pay for?

Be careful posting/suggesting things like this. Google ban adsense accounts at even the slightest suggestion that the clicks being made are fraudulent (which might even include their crawlers picking up phrases such as the one you posted). Edited by Dave

If everyone on the forum clicked the ads three times, how many months would that pay for?

Be careful posting/suggesting things like this. Google ban adsense accounts at even the slightest suggestion that the clicks being made are fraudulent (which might even include their crawlers picking up phrases such as the one you posted).

Well the thing is, they only tend to ban if the account holder suggests for people to click them. However, I'm not suggesting for anyone to click like a madman. I just was notifying people that I moved the ads to a more obvious place, because the number of clicks declined. However, people like general spoon who block the ads altogether, aren't helping, considering I've been a nice guy to pay for this place's hosting out of my own pocket most of the time. It would be nice if you weren't a douche and blocked the only means I have for you guys to help out. FYI the server costs $169 per month.

Be careful posting/suggesting things like this. Google ban adsense accounts at even the slightest suggestion that the clicks being made are fraudulent (which might even include their crawlers picking up phrases such as the one you posted).

Well the thing is, they only tend to ban if the account holder suggests for people to click them. However, I'm not suggesting for anyone to click like a madman. I just was notifying people that I moved the ads to a more obvious place, because the number of clicks declined. However, people like general spoon who block the ads altogether, aren't helping, considering I've been a nice guy to pay for this place's hosting out of my own pocket most of the time. It would be nice if you weren't a douche and blocked the only means I have for you guys to help out. FYI the server costs $169 per month.

There are ways to get around some adblockers (adblock plus seems to be the major one for FF users, and there is a simple script that can stop that from working) :awesome:

My account was disabled four or five years ago allegedly due to someone posting a suggestion like that one, and it took me ages to convince them to reenable it. They've probably relaxed a bit since then as there are probably hundreds of thousands more account holders now, but it's still something that you don't want to risk. And all this talk about it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway so I'll just leave :P

Edited by Dave

There are ways to get around some adblockers (adblock plus seems to be the major one for FF users, and there is a simple script that can stop that from working) :awesome:

My account was disabled four or five years ago allegedly due to someone posting a suggestion like that one, and it took me ages to convince them to reenable it. They've probably relaxed a bit since then as there are probably hundreds of thousands more account holders now, but it's still something that you don't want to risk. And all this talk about it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway so I'll just leave :P

Gah! I'm sorry I posted that! D:

I didn't know they would do that. :(

Gah! I'm sorry I posted that! D:

I didn't know they would do that. :(

It's extremely extremely unlikely, and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, but you never know.

I've clicked on the ads when I see something good. I want to support the site too! :D

If I'm blocking them, I probably wouldn't have clicked on them anyways, though I do see your point.

IIRC you get 50 cents per click and it logs the IP address so it doesn't count any more than 1 or 2 clicks per day.

That's actually incorrect. The amount you get per click fluctuates and IIRC it will work more than once, as long as it's not the same ad.

IIRC you get 50 cents per click and it logs the IP address so it doesn't count any more than 1 or 2 clicks per day.

That's actually incorrect. The amount you get per click fluctuates and IIRC it will work more than once, as long as it's not the same ad.

How often could you buy a candy bar with the money generated by the ads?

Well, he said that the server is costing him $169 a month and it pays for half the server cost, so that means that he's probably getting around $80 to 90 a month. At 1.25 a candy bar, that's 65-70 a month. or say once every 12 hours. But, by hosting this for us, he's doing us a big favor, so I don't care. If I see an ad I like, well, I'll help out. The forum admin deserves a candy bar every now and then.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Well, he said that the server is costing him $169 a month and it pays for half the server cost, so that means that he's probably getting around $80 to 90 a month. At 1.25 a candy bar, that's 65-70 a month. or say once every 12 hours. But, by hosting this for us, he's doing us a big favor, so I don't care. If I see an ad I like, well, I'll help out. The forum admin deserves a candy bar every now and then.

I agree. Except for the candy bar part. Wut?

Candy bar comment refers to Gen. Spoon's post. He wanted to know how long it would take on average for the forum admin to be able to purchase a candy bar. I simply attempted to answer his question. I thought it was a legitimate, non-sarcastic one, but I was probably wrong

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Candy bar comment refers to Gen. Spoon's post. He wanted to know how long it would take on average for the forum admin to be able to purchase a candy bar. I simply attempted to answer his question. I thought it was a legitimate, non-sarcastic one, but I was probably wrong

It was both serious and sarcastic.

It would be nice if you weren't a douche and blocked the only means I have for you guys to help out

I'm good.

IF YOU DONT CLICK ON ADS YOU ARE ROBBING THE FORUMS

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO BE? A THIEF?

CLICK ON THE ADS MORE