FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

So am I able to change the affects of each skill, such as removing the 3x damage of luna or changing the 5x str of rend? Also where would I find the nightmare modules for skill editing? What I got off of serenes only came with class and growth modules.

The Skill nightmare module is found in this thread in the first page, you need to copy it in a notepad and rename the .txt extension to the nightmare module one, you cannot change the actual effects of the skill is just the capacity, but the offsets are very handy to have.

I mean in theory it should be possible to edit their effects, but i have not messed with it, not that i am good at doing that stuff, i usually stick with basic hex editing(repointing, changing weapons stats, capacities, skills of classes,etc.).

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a ton, and sorry if anything I've asked seemed stupidly obvious, I only started hacking Radiant Dawn about a 2 weeks ago. If the effects of skills aren't alterable within FE10Data, that must mean that information is located in some other file within the disc. I'm gonna try and tinker around to see if I can't find that info, though I have no idea what to look for amongst all that hex.

I'm wondering is it possible to change class skins?

Like say, make a Reaver use a Warrior Model for map, and battle animations?

Or is it possible to alter SP class Caps, and skills? Like you could make a SP Druid playable, give him similar caps to Archsage, and give him flare?

I'm wondering is it possible to change class skins?

It's possible, I just don't know how to change the class skins, never really thought it necessary personally. I'd imagine this data exists for both classes and each individual character.

Or is it possible to alter SP class Caps, and skills? Like you could make a SP Druid playable, give him similar caps to Archsage, and give him flare?

You alter cap stats of SP classes the same way you you do for every other class; either with the nightmare module that was made (you can alter also class base stats, and enemy growths for each class through this also), or you can use a hex editor which allows for more edits but can be a bit intimidating to navigate the first time.

If you want to change around what skills the SP classes (as well as any other class) has you have to do it through hex editing. Use Vincent's guide at the beginning of this thread, look at the chapter that covers classes. In it it shows that each class has skills that are assigned them, you can change the pointers to give different skills like replacing shove with something like flare, but I'm not sure how you would add space to allow for an additional skill to be added.

If anyone out there knows how to add bytes anywhere in the game's data to allow for additional skills I'd be curious to know how if it's possible.

It's possible, I just don't know how to change the class skins, never really thought it necessary personally. I'd imagine this data exists for both classes and each individual character.

You alter cap stats of SP classes the same way you you do for every other class; either with the nightmare module that was made (you can alter also class base stats, and enemy growths for each class through this also), or you can use a hex editor which allows for more edits but can be a bit intimidating to navigate the first time.

If you want to change around what skills the SP classes (as well as any other class) has you have to do it through hex editing. Use Vincent's guide at the beginning of this thread, look at the chapter that covers classes. In it it shows that each class has skills that are assigned them, you can change the pointers to give different skills like replacing shove with something like flare, but I'm not sure how you would add space to allow for an additional skill to be added.

If anyone out there knows how to add bytes anywhere in the game's data to allow for additional skills I'd be curious to know how if it's possible.

Mind if I ask how Palettes/skins work for classes?

Like is there only one Palette(yellow/Gold) available for the SP Classes?

Mind if I ask how Palettes/skins work for classes?

Like is there only one Palette(yellow/Gold) available for the SP Classes?

I'm not the best one to ask for editing 3D models in game, but the way it generally works is through a sprite and texture system. If you want the color to be different, you'll need to tinker with the texture and I imagine that requires a necessary program that can open it up and lets you edit it. It's a process I'm not familiar enough with to find it worth while to do, but if you want to know where to find that data, I found some data that have names that leads me to think they are the map sprites and battle sprites.

The section listed as 'ymu' has data named 'sanaki_sigrun' and 'tib_sothe,' leading me to think these are the unique map sprites used during certain cuts scenes. Along side these are many others that are normal map sprites that contain files named avoid, dead, etc. This is probably where you find the files for models, textures, and animations related to map sprites.

The section listed as 'zu' has what I suspect is the data for battle sprites since it has the files that are named after weapon type found within each data. For example the data listed as 'ikeS' has 2 of these, ax and sw, leading me to think this is the folder containing the vanguard battle sprite data.

It might not be much, but this is what I found and know on the subject, hopefully you can figure things out from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hear that if done the game can register the modified save file as corrupt.

Well if you try to modify a save file without fixing the crc32 (?) checksums the game will tell you that the file is corrupted.

(I've no idea where they are, and how many of them there is but most Nintendo games use them to verify a save file integrity)

Edited by Naughx

• 4 weeks later...

Hey anyone know where I can find the nightmare modules for character editing? The link on this thread isn't working.

Fire Emblem Shrine. Inside are the modules labeled 'class' and 'growth.' 'Class' allows you to easily edit the the base stats, growth rates, and cap stats for classes, and "growths' allows you to edit the base stats and growth rates for each character.

It should be noted though that the pointer for RES Growth for Nephenee and Nolan is wrong, it instead is the point for RES Stat Addition. To fix this, just opening up the .nmm file up in notepad and scroll down to RES Growths; it should look something like this:

RES Growth

NEDU

NULL

Simply change the 7 to and 17.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the maximum number of skills a character can really have? There's the 5 you can use with the scrolls, and then some characters use a "sixth" one for equipping unique weapons. I'm hoping it's at least 7.

Edit: Forgot about promotions adding a "skill" to denote promotion as well, whoops. So every char uses six minimum, a seventh for unique equip flag if applicable, and I'm hoping for an eighth...

Edited by Hozu

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Item data

Starts at exactly 0xDF44. Ends at around 0x12800

Item order

Example, Florete's data:

-- -- -- -- 00 02 AA A0 00 02 E7 18 00 02 CC E7

00 03 42 D0 00 03 42 D0 00 03 16 08 00 00 00 00

00 02 9A B8 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 C8 0E 5F 0F 05

2D 04 01 02 01 00 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 03 43 1B

00 03 41 6E 00 03 42 C8 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Broken down:

00 02 AA A0 Pointer -> IID_FLORETE - Item ID, determines what item it is

00 02 E7 18 Pointer -> MIID_FLORETE

00 02 CC E7 Pointer -> MH_I_FLORETE

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type (at Min range?)

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type at Max range?

00 03 16 08 Pointer -> N - Weapon rank

00 00 00 00 - Blank

00 02 9A B8 Pointer -> EID_FLORETE

00 00 00 - Blank

00 00 10 - Unknown (third one could be Item icon)

00 C8 0E 5F 0F 05 2D 04 01 02 01 - Cost per use (first two bytes), Might, Accuracy, Critical, Weight, Uses, Weapon Exp, Min range, Max range, Unknown

00 00 00 - Blank

04 03 00 00 - Unknown

00 03 43 1B Pointer -> valuable - Additional attributes (can be a few or none)

00 03 41 6E Pointer -> eqB

00 03 42 C8 Pointer -> stormsw

I'm just speculating here, but I believe the in the unknown part of 04 03 00 00 is the following: first byte I haven't figured out (always see it as 04), second one is the amount of additional attributes (Amiti has it at 05, where it has 5 attributes (valuable/eqC/twice/stealseal/infinity), Alondite has it at 03 (valuable/stormsword/infinity)), third one is for effective damage (I've only seen it at 00 for none or 01, I don't know if it can be 02 and have two effective damage properties, for example), and the fourth one is 01 when the item has stat bonuses (Amiti/Alondite/Rexbolt/Vague Katti have it at 01, didn't check other stat weapons). Stat bonuses is 12 bytes, I believe the 9th/10th could be con/mov, no idea about the last two.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys! Long time fan, first time posting. Hope it's alright asking this here, but would anyone be willing to throw me a bone?

I actually haven't played this game since late 2009 early 2010, but have been slowly getting back into it (I used to have a usb gecko back in those days). I initially started using the Ocarina Cheat Code Manager, which all I needed was to upload the text file and edit the code list. But I am looking for specific set of codes that aren't on there.

I was reading through this thread, and there were a couple people that mentioned that they could edit Weapon Stats such as Mt, Hit, Crit, Wt, etc. Well, that's actually what I've been trying to find. Now, I am not the least bit hex/edit savvy as many of you might be. So I'd ask if it's possible, if someone might be willing to provide the addresses where each weapon's base stat can be edited, and in a way that they're compatible with Ocarina Cheat Code Manager (XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX). That way, I can inject the codes into Ocarina Cheat Code Manager and edit them the pretty much the same way as the other codes.

Again, hope it was okay to post this hear since it's a request. And thanks in advance to anyone willing to help ;)

Edit: Sorry moderators. Was not aware of necroposting. Please delete post. Will create new thread as CoC advise.

Edited by diezel4ever

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to successfully modify shop contents? I tried replacing an item with a Worm tome in 3-6, and the game loaded fine until I actually reached the chapter, at which point it would crash when the base menu loads up. I tried replacing the Elixir in the 3-6 bargains, as well as the Bronze Dagger in the shop (I shuffled everything in the armory from that point backwards and appended the Worm tome after Shine). No go both times.

It looks like between the Bargain data and the item data, I believe that part is organizing/dividing the shop contents. Crap I forgot about forges. Then... what could be causing this to not work?

Edit: It loaded properly when I swapped the Silver Dagger and Beast Killer with each other in the 3-6 bargains, though the item order remained the same. Strange. Nope, must have been the wrong file I made changes to. Also, in the data the Elixir is listed before the three staves, yet it's appears afterwards. However, when I replaced the Silver Dagger with a Worm tome, it crashed again.

Edit 2: Turns out the version of wimms iso tools I was using was outdated. I grabbed the latest version and success!

Edited by Hozu

Probably obvious, but using weapons on units that aren't normally able to wield them doesn't work out (4-5 spoilers I guess). Best you can do is give a tome-wielding unit access to tomes of other elements.

Edit: When I attempted to change a weapon in the forge data (specifically replace Silver knife with Silver dagger in the base at 4-F1) it loaded the base menu, the shop, and the forge menu just fine. Until I actually went over to the weapon I changed, at which point it crashed. I'm speculating that it's because the model isn't set to be loaded, ie. it has to be changed elsewhere. But I honestly don't know.

Edited by Hozu

Funny story, it turns out the Boon skill has the same range as the Restore staff. I modified the staff to have a max range of mg/2 and the skill ended up removing negative statuses from my units that weren't adjacent to her.

Also, for whatever reason, increasing the range of the Unlock staff doesn't seem to work - you still have to be adjacent to the locked thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, is there a way to give the laguz class the judge skill so they can attack in human form?. I'm looking at the class data you posted but I don't quite understand the skill data.

It might be possible.

Do you mean giving them the judge weapons belonging to the final boss? If you're editing the files, in FE10Data.cms (after decompressing), try looking for the "finalonly" label at 0x341BA and replacing it with 00s.

This *should* make the judge weapons equippable for anyone with a Strike rank.

I'm not sure if this will allow the untransformed Laguz to attack though. You may have to edit the untransformed classes, but I don't know how (or if it's the right place).

I believe that untransformed Laguz are locked out of the 'Attack' command altogether, so you'd need to resolve that first.

BTW, I've been delving into FE9 hacking as of late, which on the surface would seem the same, but it kinda isn't... Proven to be quite a bit more tricky actually.

Looking on previous FE9 related stuff in the past on this forum, it seems most people have issues replacing data successfully through un-compression/re-compression (which is much more of a pain with this game, to be fair). Solution to that is to use GCRebuilder and rather than replacing the compressed files individually (which won't work with bigger files) you'll need to instead extract the 'root' of the ISO and replace files outside of the application. Then you rebuild the ISO with Root > Open > Save where the ISO will go > Rebuild. Then open the ISO in Dolphin and voila.

To note, army data is different than FE10. The arrangement of data is different for units (Unit Name > Class > Weapons/Items > AI > Coordinates/Level?) and the pointers are really off for the most part, and it can vary per map. CH4 pointers are minus 6A0 in hex for instance.

I'll likely make some nightmare related stuff for it eventually -- Will likely help a lot of people who are interested in hacking FE9. There really isn't much out there for it. The above two things seem to be the main barriers people have with the game though.

Edited by DLuna

Cool, looking forward to your work : )

Yeah, GCRebuilder is great and saves a lot of time.

Hmm, I don't have the files for FE10 to compare, but FE9's army data is stored in a cmp (compressed package) file for each chapter. Inside each cmp file, there should be 1 file for each mode, plus I think a common file, so 4 files in all.

The pointers all start after the header of each individual file, which I'm guessing is what's causing the "strange" offsets.