FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble decompressing FE10Data.cms. Whenever I try to decompress it, no matter what decompressor I use(I've tried Nintenlords and Batch-LZ77), I get an error telling me "Index was outside the bounds of the array". What do I do?

EDIT: Nvm, I'd been working with a corrupted ISO. 

Edited by Matthewtheman

• 4 months later...

Anyone know what i would need to do to make Vika playable in part 3 for example? (Add existing characters to roosters in maps they shouldnt be in)

Edited by flare9

• 4 months later...

Hey! So I am having trouble understanding the exp formula explained earlier, I went into the FE8Data.bin file and tried editing the values in that table you guys mentioned for X and Y but my exp gains were still the same. I want to make the exp for hard mode the same as normal mode. also is there a different formula for laguz exp? thanks in advance. 

• 2 months later...

So I followed the guide and have learned everything that I was looking for except a few things. Is way to disable certain things in hard mode. I want to bring back the weapon triangle, map affinity, enemy range check. The only reason I don't just use normal mode is enemy level. I thought that if I replaced the zmap n with h it would fix that, but it didn't work out. learning to hack fe 10 has been a fun experience. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do it without the guide. Also in the weapon triangle editor listed, would the first address be where I can find that data. Finding character and class values was easy but things like affinity and weapon triangle seem difficult. I hope to get to shop forge and army data eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, iluvpho said:

New to Radiant Dawn Hacking. I understood most of the basics.  Is there anyone who is still hacking this game

There really doesn't seem to be a hacking community for FE9/10. There isn't a discord server or anything like that, just some random people and an occasional post on this topic. I'm new to hacking in general (I don't feel like doing anything with GBA because so much has already been done with it) so I don't know much so I probably won't be able to help with anything, but I am here.

Does anyone know how to change a character's model? I changed Micaiah to a soldier and gave her an iron lance, but she doesn't have any animations for that class. I was hoping to change her model to either Aran's or a generic soldier's. If anyone knows how, help would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* Solved! I redirected Micaiah's 3 pointers for her AID in FE10 Data to AID_SOLDIER1, 2, and 3 (I'm assuming 1, 2, and 3 are for soldier, halberdier, and sentinel so I think her promotions will be fine too, but I'm not absolutely sure because I haven't tested it.)

Soldier_Micaiah.PNG

Edited by Popers1328
Solution found

4 hours ago, Popers1328 said:

There really doesn't seem to be a hacking community for FE9/10. There isn't a discord server or anything like that, just some random people and an occasional post on this topic. I'm new to hacking in general (I don't feel like doing anything with GBA because so much has already been done with it) so I don't know much so I probably won't be able to help with anything, but I am here.

Does anyone know how to change a character's model? I changed Micaiah to a soldier and gave her an iron lance, but she doesn't have any animations for that class. I was hoping to change her model to either Aran's or a generic soldier's. If anyone knows how, help would be greatly appreciated.

Damn.  It kinda sucks that this game is 8 years old already lol.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, vphong10 said:

Plz help me. When i use batch lz 77 1.3 to decompressed the iso file. It said "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow ".

Ah, you don't use Batch LZ77 on the ISO. You need WiiScrubber or a similar program. Batch LZ77 is for decompressing the individual files after you've extracted the ISO.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, thread necromancy! Some brief observations about the structure of dispos files:

Spoiler

The pointer at 0x20 seems to point to the beginning of where labels are such are stored (which itself begins with a timestamp of when the file was last edited during production). Subtracting 1 from this will give you the address at which the army data ends.
I haven't looked into it too deeply, but I think 0x25 might be the amount of army blocks that are located in the file? This seems to hold true for 1-1's dispos files, at least.

These observations are probably outdated/have been noted before and I just missed it, but whatever.

Some questions, at least as far as bmap0101 (dispos_n.bin) goes:

Spoiler

Looking into it, army data is not actually stored in uniform blocks of 104 bytes, but seems to be of variable lengths for each. I haven't looked too much into what's causing them to be at different lengths (probably either skills or character flags, maybe both).  The table at the bottom of the file, starting off pointing to 0x28 (beginning of character data), looks promising, but the problem is that it ends on 0x2E4. If you add 20 to that, you get 304, which is where the final pointer of the final character block starts... but adding 20 to 0x28 yields 0x48, which is right in the middle of Micaiah's character block. It's like it starts off not applying the hardware offset, then switches to applying it at some arbitrary point in time.

Has anyone figured out what's going on with how army data is stored? This is giving me a headache.

Edited by Missing-qry

I believe the amount of items in the unit's inventory is what causes the varying amounts of bytes for each individual unit. Every additional item in the inventory adds an extra 0x4 bytes, IIRC. I'm not sure what determines how many items are put into the inventory though, I never messed around with that much.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out what the deal was with the dispos files, actually! Being .bin files, they pretty much follow the file architecture outlined in this page, plus some additional stuff specific to RD dispos files:

Spoiler

Pointer region 2 specifically contains the data block offsets of each individual "faction" file in the block. Each faction file has a header of 0x4 bytes, with individual character blocks indeed being 104 bytes as initially suspected. The header is structured as follows (using bmap0101 as an example):

02 07 01 01

1st byte [02] --> Number of units in faction
2nd byte [07] --> Number of units in map total (probably necessary to edit if you want to try adding additional units to the map)
3rd + 4th bytes [01 01] --> No idea what these do yet

Other than that, character blocks are basically laid out as outlined elsewhere in this topic. ^^

Hi! 

I've been digesting all of this for the past few days, and one thing that is of particular interest to me is to figure out how to change dialogue in the game. Partly to see if I can do it, mostly to try to overhaul some of the later parts of the story, if I can. 

As far as I understand, the subdirectory "Mess" is where the chapter-specific dialogue is stored. So if I open c0101 in a hexeditor, I should be accessing every bit of text that could happen in this chapter. Interestingly, there are tags like MS_0101_DIE and MS_0101_DIE_MICAIAH, presumably referring to death quotes in this chapter if you fail, before a game over.

Other tags appear as well, like MS_0101_CP_01, and the best I can piece together is that CP stands for Chapter Prologue, so maybe that refers to the text that displays when the narrator does his voice over before the chapter starts?

MS_0101_ED_01 presumably refers to one of Edward's lines in the chapter, as there are others like MS_0101_ED_01_02 and ED_02_01 as well. Best I can piece together there is that the 01, 02, or 03 that precede the second number after these refer to specifc sequences of text, broken up by action on screen. So like, pre-battle dialogue, dialogue that occurs when Leonardo joins the fight, dialogue that occurs when Micaiah first engages one of the bandits, and dialogue that happens when Micaiah or Ed/Leonardo engage when they attack Pugo. 

There are tags for Nico, for Lady, that likely call up their pictures and names as the messages are displayed. 

The thing that I'm puzzled on is where, exactly, to find the actual messages that each character says on screen (and then how to edit those). I'm not using the Japanese file, but I know there are pointers in some parts of the other data files that are still stored in Japanese. When they translated this chapter into English, those translations should be reflected in the files somewhere, right? Or do I need to learn Japanese to make this work, because if I do, that's going to be a no-go.

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking in the original japanese chapter files. The e_c0101 file was what I should have looked at, to use the English translations.

Edited by TharBeDragons69

On 3/17/2019 at 7:15 PM, TharBeDragons69 said:

Hi! 

I've been digesting all of this for the past few days, and one thing that is of particular interest to me is to figure out how to change dialogue in the game. Partly to see if I can do it, mostly to try to overhaul some of the later parts of the story, if I can. 

As far as I understand, the subdirectory "Mess" is where the chapter-specific dialogue is stored. So if I open c0101 in a hexeditor, I should be accessing every bit of text that could happen in this chapter. Interestingly, there are tags like MS_0101_DIE and MS_0101_DIE_MICAIAH, presumably referring to death quotes in this chapter if you fail, before a game over.

Other tags appear as well, like MS_0101_CP_01, and the best I can piece together is that CP stands for Chapter Prologue, so maybe that refers to the text that displays when the narrator does his voice over before the chapter starts?

MS_0101_ED_01 presumably refers to one of Edward's lines in the chapter, as there are others like MS_0101_ED_01_02 and ED_02_01 as well. Best I can piece together there is that the 01, 02, or 03 that precede the second number after these refer to specifc sequences of text, broken up by action on screen. So like, pre-battle dialogue, dialogue that occurs when Leonardo joins the fight, dialogue that occurs when Micaiah first engages one of the bandits, and dialogue that happens when Micaiah or Ed/Leonardo engage when they attack Pugo. 

There are tags for Nico, for Lady, that likely call up their pictures and names as the messages are displayed. 

The thing that I'm puzzled on is where, exactly, to find the actual messages that each character says on screen (and then how to edit those). I'm not using the Japanese file, but I know there are pointers in some parts of the other data files that are still stored in Japanese. When they translated this chapter into English, those translations should be reflected in the files somewhere, right? Or do I need to learn Japanese to make this work, because if I do, that's going to be a no-go.

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking in the original japanese chapter files. The e_c0101 file was what I should have looked at, to use the English translations.

Sadly, you can't just edit the e_c0101 files by editing the text and then saving it. The game will instantly crash as soon as you open the chapter you changed. Dunal has figured out how to edit this, but lately I haven't seen him around and I haven't found a solution myself as of yet.

15 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Sadly, you can't just edit the e_c0101 files by editing the text and then saving it. The game will instantly crash as soon as you open the chapter you changed. Dunal has figured out how to edit this, but lately I haven't seen him around and I haven't found a solution myself as of yet.

Interestingly, you can edit it.

Sadly, you can't add/remove new content, because the file size increases or decreases. I encountered that same error that caused the game to crash by removing the code for a music change during the chapter, without replacing it with anything else. 

I did, however, successful change the game text by replacing the same number of bytes. The Lady in the attached image file originally says "You? But you're just children!" I changed the first word to "Huh?" successfully. 

What's curious to me is if it's possible to add/remove content if you update the pointers to reflect that new size. That task is so daunting to figure out that I've basically given up at the moment. What I really wanted to do, if I could figure it out, is give the DB a couple of chapters that take place before the prologue chapter (even if it was an awkward flashback), that use some of the content that the creators intended to bring out the DB's personality/backstory more.

Capture.PNG

I think it would probably be doable, as long as you make sure to update the filesize to its new size in the file's header/ repoint everything that comes after that to accommodate that addition. I know there are several Fates editing tools that can automatically repoint everything for you so you don't have to worry about it; I wonder how easy it would be to write something like that for RD?

Hi everyone ! I have a question and hope to get an answer ! 

How can we recognize items (Spirit Dust, Energy Drop...) in the Data ? There is something to get to them easier than make every lines in order as in the first post ? 

I want to modify the numbers of uses of the Angel Robe, Energy Drop, Spirit Dust, Secret Book, Speed Wing, Ashera Icon, Dracoshield, Talisman and boots ? (And Laguz Gem, why not) And I don't know how I can identify them easily ! 

Thanks for the help ! 

2 hours ago, NobleSang said:

Hi everyone ! I have a question and hope to get an answer ! 

How can we recognize items (Spirit Dust, Energy Drop...) in the Data ? There is something to get to them easier than make every lines in order as in the first post ? 

I want to modify the numbers of uses of the Angel Robe, Energy Drop, Spirit Dust, Secret Book, Speed Wing, Ashera Icon, Dracoshield, Talisman and boots ? (And Laguz Gem, why not) And I don't know how I can identify them easily ! 

Thanks for the help ! 

I'm spitballing here, and there is probably a totally better way to find it, but you could check the shop data files for the chapters where these are buyable, or the map data where the hidden treasures are. Cross-reference two or more places to find the right codes.

Okay, i'm gonna do that ! Let's try

Thanks you TharBeDragons !

And, there is an another way to find the correct value ? Because I don't understand very well English, so it's quite hard for me to understand those explanations with pointers, subtracting...etc ^^' 

Edited by NobleSang
I ask for something, it's better to edit

I'm pretty sure you just need to search for the item's name. Every item is labeled as IID_ then the item name, so they're pretty easy to search for. Searching through the data.tpl file helps. At offset 11240 Would be the amount of uses for Angelic Robe if your inside the data file.

Edited by lightcosmo