FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

What version of Wii Scrubber are you using? 

The latest release I can find which is 1.4

Also I am editing FE10Data.cms is that the right file or is it FE8Data.bin ?

Edited by Duncan Idaho

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You need to decompress data.cms into data.tpl, then edit and then compress it again.

Aplogies, but where do I find a tool that lets me do that?

Or rather, what is the name of the tool?

Edited by Duncan Idaho

22 minutes ago, Duncan Idaho said:

Aplogies, but where do I find a tool that lets me do that?

Or rather, what is the name of the tool?

There are a few tools that can do this. 

Nintenlords compressor tool, is a decent one that is easy to use. I think you can find it here.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

There are a few tools that can do this. 

Nintenlords compressor tool, is a decent one that is easy to use. I think you can find it here.

Could you mention others and elaborate a bit more on nintendolord's?  I am not seeing an option that does.tpl

1 hour ago, Duncan Idaho said:

Could you mention others and elaborate a bit more on nintendolord's?  I am not seeing an option that does.tpl

Alright, so to place FE10 data.cms in the input slot and for the output slot name it FE10Data.TPL.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Alright, so to place FE10 data.cms in the input slot and for the output slot name it FE10Data.TPL.

Well, I ended figuring it out with some tinkering, thanks.

All I really need now is to figure how to use and rather make wii cheats work on dolphin, adding the to the .ini isn't doing anything.

Just now, Duncan Idaho said:

Well, I ended figuring it out with some tinkering, thanks.

All I really need now is to figure how to use and rather make wii cheats work on dolphin, adding the to the .ini isn't doing anything.

What do you need codes for?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

What do you need codes for?

My edits touched the 2nd and 3rd tier classes skills and I ended also changing the values of mercy and halfshift.

Mercy got switched for Aether and Halfshift got switched to formshift. So that Laguz and at least the Laguz Naliah sends with you, aren't exactly a handicap.

The easiest way to see if those changes worked is by adding the "300 slots in convoy" and "have all 270 items in convoy" cheats so that among those 270 Mercy pops up. If one works, its plausible the other will.

46 minutes ago, Duncan Idaho said:

hmm, I decided to test this on real hardware, there are problems, I am booting the game via wiiflow and I get a crash if I try to create a new game on any difficulty mode.

Ideas?

I dont actually use this method to play the game, so im not sure, sorry. I use USB loader GX to run it. The file size didn't change when you inserted it, did it?

35 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I dont actually use this method to play the game, so im not sure, sorry. I use USB loader GX to run it. The file size didn't change when you inserted it, did it?

Nope, and I can't use USB loader GX since I lack an EHDD from where to boot the game, and sticks and GX don't mesh well.

1 hour ago, Duncan Idaho said:

Nope, and I can't use USB loader GX since I lack an EHDD from where to boot the game, and sticks and GX don't mesh well.

Hmmm, I'm sorry, but I'm not well versed in this area. 

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm, I'm sorry, but I'm not well versed in this area. 

No worries, I plan to start by checking an older data file I have around and see if the issue is that I changed micaiah's growths.

If so, then the answer is fairly simple.

All the things you are trying to do are pretty much uncharted territory for the most part. Coding your own maps, creating custom splices and all of this is very advanced for a game that has practically no editing fanbase. The best people currently have done are Radiant Dawn ReDux, which is Dunal's project. The furthest he has gone is changing certain skill scrolls to be able to choose what skill it will become. Instead of a "Mercy scroll" you get an "Occult scroll" and when you try to equip it you can choose if you want to turn "Occult" into Adept, Cancel, Wrath or Resolve etc. Other than that the patch has major balance changes and a few text changes. But all these follow the game's laws and structure. he hasn't done anything new as in creating something not seen before in the game as far as I know.

I myself started a Reverse Recruitment patch, which got stuck at 1-6, because the two part split of that map creates issues. After that i started with two other things regarding to RD, one of which is making my own map. This worked, I got a test map working with soldiers entering and exiting, but it is incredibly choppy and you need to know pretty much every hex brick in multiple files and know what they do. I suggest reading the entire first post here to get a better understanding of this concept.

The othe rthing I am currently working on is base conversations, but on that I am hardstuck. See the previous few posts.

• 4 weeks later...

How exactly do I replace an item with an item has a longer name?

For example in map 2-1 I want to give Brom a Steel Sword instead of his Iron Axe. 

However in the games internal name is STEELSWORD which is longer than IRONAXE. 

Is there any to do this?

Edited by afterburner

On 2/5/2018 at 1:48 AM, DasBoot said:

I was interested in playing Radiant Dawn with 0% growths, but I couldn't find a patch anywhere.  Hoping to be able to use this guide to make one myself

Did anyone ever figure this out? I made a reddit thread about it, where I noted that I couldn't get either version of Nightmare to load a Radiant Dawn iso. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, Sharur said:

Did anyone ever figure this out? I made a reddit thread about it, where I noted that I couldn't get either version of Nightmare to load a Radiant Dawn iso. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have to actually extract the files from the game's data. You can't run Nightmare directly on the ISO.

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone made any progress on the music looping issue? I took a look around in the sound.bsrar and sound_us.bsrar files but didn't find anything indicating loop timing or song duration. If no one has any idea at the moment, where would be a good place to start looking?

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:08 PM, afterburner said:

How exactly do I replace an item with an item has a longer name?

For example in map 2-1 I want to give Brom a Steel Sword instead of his Iron Axe. 

However in the games internal name is STEELSWORD which is longer than IRONAXE. 

Is there any to do this?

You would have to move the items around by getting rid of items with really long names there.

Isnt Steel Sword already in that chapter?

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:20 PM, Sharur said:

You have to use Wii Scrubber to extract FE10Data.CMS, then decompress that using a decompresser tool to create an FE10DATA.TPL file. Open that in a Hex Editor or use Nightmare, make your edits, use a compresser tool to compress FE10DATA.TPL back into FE10DATA.CMS, then reinsert it using Wii Scrubber.

Edited by lightcosmo

If someone knows how to modify in the same way the PoR files, I'm here!  I just want to know how to modify the chapter file to make Greil, Black Knight, Naesala and Tibarn recruitable without any cheats. 

Just spent a bit of time making this based on the notes shown in this thread. It's an 010 Editor Template that breaks down all data in FE10Data.cms. There's still a lot of stuff that I don't really know how to edit but hopefully this makes anyone who is trying to hack this game's life a lot easier. Note that this requires 010 Editor to use. 

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fgk8tztghgj1l6/FE10Data.bt?dl=0

And here's an example screenshot of the character block in the template:

UfzuEgL.png

So, after looking through the data file and the hacking notes here, I figured that I would be able to make a full Data Extractor and Rebuilder. I'm currently half way through the process with the data extraction being fully functional, but it's basically going to work by extracting the FE10Data.cms file into an excel table where you'll be able to make the edits you want and then repack the excel table with all pointers fully functional.

Here's an example of what the excel file would look like. It's not exactly the neatest thing in the world but it's worlds better than dealing with the data file how it currently is. Expect it to be done sometime this week if everything goes smoothly:

6AyZUt1.png

On 5/3/2020 at 11:20 PM, HeartlessSeph said:

So, after looking through the data file and the hacking notes here, I figured that I would be able to make a full Data Extractor and Rebuilder. I'm currently half way through the process with the data extraction being fully functional, but it's basically going to work by extracting the FE10Data.cms file into an excel table where you'll be able to make the edits you want and then repack the excel table with all pointers fully functional.

Here's an example of what the excel file would look like. It's not exactly the neatest thing in the world but it's worlds better than dealing with the data file how it currently is. Expect it to be done sometime this week if everything goes smoothly:

6AyZUt1.png

That's pretty amazing, considering the fact that not all blocks are equally large. It made nightmare very suboptimal for this game. Looks very promising and I'll be sure to take it for a whirl! It might even help me with my problem in 1-6 for Reverse recruitment.