FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

i think this warrants an update, since I've made progress with the Excel editor. This shot is made with HeartlessSeph's Excel program, which is way more convoluted for me since I am working on a Mac with Parallels Desktop simulating windows. But it works! I have to manually extract and rebuild through terminal, but the entire thing works great! 

I made a Reverse Recruitment hack before which stranded at 1-6, so I have done this before, but it is going to be a lot quicker this time around! And if am am correct, the Excel sheet will work around my 1-6 problem. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-16-at-16-25-31.png

EDIT: Chapter 1 is done, with playable Lehran, Nasir and Gareth. All units are scaled down and have appropriate growths and bases. 

Edited by Vicious Sal

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LordMewtwo73 said:

What problem do you have on 1-6?

I used to have the issue that the map loaded at 1-6-2 immediately. But I'll solve that tomorrow. I'm currently at 1-5's end. Just need to have the replacements of Tauroneo, Zihark and Jill join at the end of the chapter. After that I can modify 1-6 so that the starting location lines up again.

Uploaded the update to the GameData editor. Works on the Wii now and causes no crashes in Dolphin. Might crash the Character tree as per ViciousSal's tests, though I didn't test it out myself. I'll continue working out the kinks there but it should work 100% for everything else.

Same link as before, but to save time here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y5zudoop2ykw9p/FE10GameData Tools.7z?dl=0

Is anybody here good at looking for patterns in data? I'm trying to break down FE10Battle.cms but I'm stumped at BCamGroupIndex. It's quite a large section of the file, being 0x4920 in size but I can't find a pattern to it. If anyone has any insight, it begins at 0x7200 and ends at 0xBB1C in the file. I'll continue looking into it for now.

You mean the entire block of ÿ's right? I think it might be something to do with camera angles or the position of weapons compared to the models of units. A wind edge has different xYZ coordinates for a Myrmidon than for a blade knight etc. 

But I'm not sure. I can't find a pattern besides the there being chunks seperated by 2f and 00, but that's it. Sorry I can't be of more assistance right now. 

I just winged it and wrote the bytes for that whole section without any pattern or anything. So far, I'm about 25% of the way through the re-writing Excel table to file for FE10Battle.cms. It's going a lot quicker than the initial script since I have a base now and none of the tables have any variance in their sizes. It should be finished by Monday most likely.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Person mystery said:

Do you know how to either remove force deployment or increase the deployment slots for entering the tower?

This is something I've tried figuring out. I would assume it's in the FE10 script files somewhere. At least it is for chapters throughout the game. Try checking there.

5 hours ago, Person mystery said:

Which files are the script files?

E: Turns out it's literally in the Scripts folder

Yeah, the chapter corresponds to the number. I.E 401 is part 4 chapter 1.

Adding slots for the tower is more work than reducing. You could just change the number of slots when you find that in the scripts folder/DISPOS_H file. However, the new slot needs X/Y coordinates for placement and stuff like that. It's quite complicated really, I haven't fiddled with it much yet, so I can't be of more assistance than being the bearer of bad news. =[

Well, removing forced deployment is a lot less difficult to get rid of. Adding is the problem.

To get rid of forced deployment, in the C0407A file, look up PID_SOTHE. Then, from the adress, substract 2C. So for example, let's say Pid sothe is at 432F. By substracting 2C you get 4303.

Your pointer for PID_SOTHE should be 1D4303 in that case. This will show up plenty of times in the scripts file. After every pointer for Sothe, there should be a different pointer adress. Just follow those and see where they go to. At a certain point you should find a pointer for PID_Sothe follow by a pointer that directs you to "UNITFORCEDSALLYBYPID". Remove that pointer and the character should be able to be undeployed. 

This is for battle preps however, and I do not know if the same holds true fo character selection for who goes into the tower. But that's where my money is right now. Haven't been digging lots in the endgame files yet. Currently at 3-P with my Reverse Recruitment so I've got a ways to go.

Yes. The adress can be renamed to 0000. As said, this is only for units being force fielded. Not for adjusting slots for the tower. It might even need more pointers to be deactivated. They all behave the same way, so just look around and see if any commands such als Forcedbypid apply to sothe. 

I will probably look at this when I get to part 4. But for now I am just pitching what I know from the first few maps, which have way less commands.

Yeah, I never could figure out unlocking slots for the tower either. I've tried going through the scripts too, but as you said, all I could do was unforce units to be in battle.

Still trying to figure it out though, with no luck of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, turns out for the actual thing to change, you need to change BOTH the script and the zmap file.

Editing the script file is as easy as just finding the pointer address for "FORCEDSALLYBYPID", finding the pointer bytes themselves, and nullifying them (changing them all into 00). There might be a safeguard in the script file for the unit on position 1 (commander), though.

Editing the zmap files is...a lot trickier. Basically, the second byte before the PID pointer determines if that unit's deployment is mandatory.

On 7/8/2010 at 4:00 AM, Wooster said:

Some details

Seems like that byte comes in either 1C, 18, 04, or 00. Based on my experimentation, if the second digit of the byte is C or 8, then the deployment is mandatory. If the first digit of the byte is 1, the position is fixed. For some reason the fixedness doesn't work every time.

So the question of "Which zmap file is the one that is used before going inside the tower?" remains. zmap407a, as I said earlier, seems to be used exclusively for Lekain/Hetzel's map. emap407a doesn't seem to be it either.

Edited by Person mystery

A few years ago, a user by the name of Xeld made a rom hack for the GBA games (FE7 & 8, I think) that allowed characters to level up based on their stat averages. It was pretty interesting, and I was wondering if something like that is possible for FE10. It'd be fun to play with.

This GBA rom hack was called "Tony Mode".