FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is, on the first page there are instructions from Vincent on how to do that:

For Micaiah to have Dark Magic availability you have to modify some pointers which are called base weapon ranks and max weapon ranks (you need to find those pointers yourself though because unfortunately I don't remember them exactly, sorry for the inconvenience) (this is also better explained in Chapter 2 on the first page of this thread),

as for the dark tomes being available in shops you will have to modify the x.bin files under the shop directory this also better explained on the first page at Chapter 14.

Edited by Scott Hall

Been ages since I touched FE10, but I think it's one of the pointers that determines the rank and/or type of weapon. Like change it from "sword" to "magic" or "neutral" or something (maybe compare it with the Breath or Judge weapons).

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type (at Min range?)
00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type at Max range?

I think it's these ones for Florete. I believe the two descriptions are out of date--one of them probably determines what type to file the weapon as and the other what type of weapon it actually is.

I don't remember which, but I'm fairly sure one of the two determines how it can be equipped, (Can I equip swords?) while the other determines the type of damage (Magic Strike for instance) and used to determine weapon triangle in combat

• 1 month later...

I'd love to hack Radiant Dawn, and I've ripped the iso from my disk, except I have no idea where to go from here. Can't open the iso in Nightmare, so I'm guessing that it needs to be decompressed...but I have no idea how to do so. I have WiiED, but it won't open. I get flash of a command prompt whenever I attempt to open it, but it disappears so I can't do anything with it.

Are you using Windows? You need to run WiiED from the command prompt (cmd.exe). If you don't know where it is, just run a file search for it and you should find it pretty quickly.

In command prompt, just type in WiiED.exe (or whatever the executable is called) and press enter to run it. You might need to type in the full address (eg. C:/USER/My Documents/WiiTools/WiiED.exe) depending on where command prompt is and it might be helpful to just copy cmd.exe over to your WiiTools folder to save you typing in the full address.

Some more details in case you missed them from the front page:

1) WiiTools

This is sort of like GCTool for GameCube disk images and NDSTool for DS ROMs. It extracts all the files from a Wii disk image.

The version I used was v.2b. You'll need a recent version of libeay32.dll (OpenSSL Shared Library) and the vcredist_x86 (Visual C++ 2008 Codename Orcas redistributable) files installed to run them. If you don't know where to find these files, give me a shout. You'll also require an encryption key file, named ckey.bin, placed in the WiiTools directory.

Open up a command prompt and run WiiED. Then run WiiSO on the newly created files that WiiED made. The second step may take a very long time. If successful, all of the FE10 files will be extracted.

Are you using Windows? You need to run WiiED from the command prompt (cmd.exe). If you don't know where it is, just run a file search for it and you should find it pretty quickly.

In command prompt, just type in WiiED.exe (or whatever the executable is called) and press enter to run it. You might need to type in the full address (eg. C:/USER/My Documents/WiiTools/WiiED.exe) depending on where command prompt is and it might be helpful to just copy cmd.exe over to your WiiTools folder to save you typing in the full address.

Some more details in case you missed them from the front page:

I get to the last bit about running the created files (FE_0.wpt) in WiiSO, but it tells me that it's not a Wii disk and nothing happens.

*EDIT* I think something was wrong with my key.bin. I've made a new one and everything seems to be working now.

Edited by Alondite

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry about necroposting. I've recently started to hack FE10 and I tried to change the starting level and class of some characters (such as Micaiah and Edward) at the army data. It worked at first, but for some reason I couldn't change Meg and Volug data, which really puzzled me. Is there something special about those units or am I doing something wrong?

• 2 years later...

Chapter 1: Character data

What most people would probably want to edit.

This is stored in /FE10Data (uncompressed).

Note: Until Chapter 13 of this guide, FE10Data is the only file being edited.

Data starts at exactly 0x2C. Important characters stop at around 0x1BA0.

Minor bosses appear from 0x58B0 to 0x62E0.

Completely ends at around 0x9260, where Class data begins.

Character order (Internal names used)

Example, Ike's data:

02 00 0B 00 00 03 24 5E 00 03 03 5F 00 02 FA 34

00 02 A1 DE 00 02 B7 66 00 03 42 D6 00 03 32 8A

00 03 37 66 00 03 36 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 02 8C D0 00 02 8C DA 00 00 00 00 07 03 08 00

03 00 00 00 00 06 0F 01 0F 0C 0E 0C 05 00 00 41

37 0A 3C 23 1E 28 0F -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Broken down:

02 00 0B 00 - Unknown

The 0B byte (ie. third one of the character) is the initial level.

Chapter 15: Army data

This is stored in the /zmap directory (aka battle maps), in the separate dispos_X.bin files found in the /bmapYYZZ directories where X is:

c = Common?

n = Normal = ENG Easy

h = Hard = ENG Normal

It seems Hard and Maniac (ENG Normal and Hard) share the same army data. Common is probably for pre-chapter stuff.

YY indicates the Part, i.e 01 to 04.

ZZ indicates the chapter, counting Prologues as 01 (so Chapter 2 would be 02).

There are also emapYYZZ directories for events and also directories for stuff like tutorials and testing.

In each dispos_X.bin file, the first character's data starts at around 0x28. Each character's data seems to fill a block of 104 bytes.

I haven't really looked into army data much, but this seems to be where you can alter starting classes, inventories, AI and other stuff.

Eg. Micaiah's data in /bmap0101/dispos_n.bin.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0F A0 18 4C 00 00 03 C8

00 00 03 8D 06 11 0A 0B 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 63 00 00 03 49

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 1B

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 1D

00 00 04 35 00 00 04 2A 00 00 03 9B 00 00 04 35

Broken down:

0F A0 18 4C - Unknown, possibly to do with unit colour?

00 00 03 C8 Pointer -> PID_MICAIAH - Who the character is

00 00 03 8D Pointer -> JID_LIGHTMAGE - Class

06 11 0A 0B - Starting and ending XY co-ordinates?

01 Unknown, one of these numbers has to be starting Level though, right?

The first byte after the co-ordinates seems to be unit colour, but why does Micaiah have it at 01? Lehran in 4-E-5 has it at 00 and Ashera has it at 01, and when I set Lehran's to 03 he spawned as a yellow unit.

The first byte after the co-ordinates seems to be unit colour, but why does Micaiah have it at 01? Lehran in 4-E-5 has it at 00 and Ashera has it at 01, and when I set Lehran's to 03 he spawned as a yellow unit.

The byte after coordinates is starting level. The byte after that is unit type.

00 = Player

01 = Enemy

02 = NPC

03 = Partner

Yes, starting level exists in both the character and army data. Whichever is highest takes priority.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing issues when trying to play a hack to FE10. I've tried using both the nightmare method and the hex editor (via windhex) separately. Each time I try to play the hacked .ISO file, it gives me a popup warning saying "Invalid write to 0xfd2c2fd0, PC=0x8007840c." And each time I click OK the same warning pops up with a different invalid pointer. I've tested a clean version of FE10 and it works on Dolphin (this is all on a mac). I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong in the modding process or if it's the emulator I'm using, or something else.

I tried to follow the hacking process listed in the steps carefully: 1) opening the .ISO into wiiscrubber [v1.2] 2) save the FE10Data.cms 3) decompress the .cms file with NLZ77 Compressor 4a) open a clean file the file into nightmare (the numbers were not messed up so I assume the file was in the proper format) with class modules and make the desired alterations [no class caps or bases exceeded 50] 4b) open a clean file into windhex and find the same hex values for Ike that were shown as an example and make changes [in proper hex values] to base stats and growth rates 5) once changes were applied/saved, I compressed the file back into the .cms format via NLZ77 Compressor 6) load the new FE10Data.cms in place off the original inside wiiscrubber

Am I doing anything wrong here or have things just gone wrong for some other reason(s)?

I also had the same issue when trying to find wii-tools, so I went with wiiscrubber instead which I found to be easier to find and did what I wanted it to do. I use NLZ77, but I imagine it functions similar to BatchLZ.

~When to use the compressor~

Essentially, once you extract out the .cms file you want from the Radiant Dawn ISO (such as FE10Data.cms, I'll use this as the example) you open that file up into the compressor you have, then you decompress it into a .gba file (I name it FE10Data.gba). You can check to see if you did it right by opening FE10Data.gba into the nightmare program and using the modules. If it is incorrect, you'll see the numbers are all messed up such as -127, 201, etc. If done correctly, for example, Ike's base stats should be HP:6, STR:15, MAG:1, SKL:15, SPD:12, LCK:14, DEF:12, RSE:5. After you make the changes you wanted to make, you take FE10Data.gba and open it up into you compressor and compress it back to FE10Data.cms.

~When to use WindHex~

WindHex does the same things as a nightmare module, and much, much more. For instance the Nightmare modules for Radiant Dawn can only allow you to edit base stats and growths of characters and classes, and the maximum stats for classes (as those were the only ones made). If you want to edit items, class skills, and so on, you'll need to do so in WindHex as they do not have a nightmare module made for them.

~How to Navigate WindHex~

Here's what you need to know. The left side of the WindHex shows a long list of numbers like 00000010, 00000020, and so on. At the bottom you'll see Dec: XXX Hex: XX Bin: XXXXXXXX Offset XXXXXXXX [XXX%] Asc 'A'=41. To the right is stuff I don't get, and the middle is the hex you'll be editing.

VincentASM mentions a bunch of pointers at the start of each chapter that indicates where the data starts, this is the offset. Class data starts at 0x926C, this means 0000926C in offset terms. To find this point, scroll down to the point where it says 00009260, then move to the right until you see the offset say 0000926C.

That's basically all I know with this stuff, hope that helps.

Edited by MrKisuke

I'm experiencing issues when trying to play a hack to FE10. I've tried using both the nightmare method and the hex editor (via windhex) separately. Each time I try to play the hacked .ISO file, it gives me a popup warning saying "Invalid write to 0xfd2c2fd0, PC=0x8007840c." And each time I click OK the same warning pops up with a different invalid pointer. I've tested a clean version of FE10 and it works on Dolphin (this is all on a mac). I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong in the modding process or if it's the emulator I'm using, or something else.

I tried to follow the hacking process listed in the steps carefully: 1) opening the .ISO into wiiscrubber [v1.2] 2) save the FE10Data.cms 3) decompress the .cms file with NLZ77 Compressor 4a) open a clean file the file into nightmare (the numbers were not messed up so I assume the file was in the proper format) with class modules and make the desired alterations [no class caps or bases exceeded 50] 4b) open a clean file into windhex and find the same hex values for Ike that were shown as an example and make changes [in proper hex values] to base stats and growth rates 5) once changes were applied/saved, I compressed the file back into the .cms format via NLZ77 Compressor 6) load the new FE10Data.cms in place off the original inside wiiscrubber

Am I doing anything wrong here or have things just gone wrong for some other reason(s)?

As far as i know that is a common problem with wiiscrubber,i tried like 3 different versions and even if the "best" one was the 1.2 it still had issues, that is why i stick with Wiitools since even if it takes a little more to compile the ISO it will not be glitched when loaded unless is your fault of course.

I'm a little confused how to get the wii-tools and needed files. I keep finding wii-tools databases listing code commands and no downloads. Also when do I use that BatchLZStuff and WindHex?

To use Wiitools you must create 2 notepads alongside installing it, one for compiling and one for decompiling and then rename the extension to .bat, if i remember correctly there are instructions for that when you download it or you can search for a video in youtube.

I also had the same issue when trying to find wii-tools, so I went with wiiscrubber instead which I found to be easier to find and did what I wanted it to do. I use NLZ77, but I imagine it functions similar to BatchLZ.

~When to use the compressor~

Essentially, once you extract out the .cms file you want from the Radiant Dawn ISO (such as FE10Data.cms, I'll use this as the example) you open that file up into the compressor you have, then you decompress it into a .gba file (I name it FE10Data.gba). You can check to see if you did it right by opening FE10Data.gba into the nightmare program and using the modules. If it is incorrect, you'll see the numbers are all messed up such as -127, 201, etc. If done correctly, for example, Ike's base stats should be HP:6, STR:15, MAG:1, SKL:15, SPD:12, LCK:14, DEF:12, RSE:5. After you make the changes you wanted to make, you take FE10Data.gba and open it up into you compressor and compress it back to FE10Data.cms.

~When to use WindHex~

WindHex does the same things as a nightmare module, and much, much more. For instance the Nightmare modules for Radiant Dawn can only allow you to edit base stats and growths of characters and classes, and the maximum stats for classes (as those were the only ones made). If you want to edit items, class skills, and so on, you'll need to do so in WindHex as they do not have a nightmare module made for them.

~How to Navigate WindHex~

Here's what you need to know. The left side of the WindHex shows a long list of numbers like 00000010, 00000020, and so on. At the bottom you'll see Dec: XXX Hex: XX Bin: XXXXXXXX Offset XXXXXXXX [XXX%] Asc 'A'=41. To the right is stuff I don't get, and the middle is the hex you'll be editing.

VincentASM mentions a bunch of pointers at the start of each chapter that indicates where the data starts, this is the offset. Class data starts at 0x926C, this means 0000926C in offset terms. To find this point, scroll down to the point where it says 00009260, then move to the right until you see the offset say 0000926C.

That's basically all I know with this stuff, hope that helps.

You dont need to rename the file extension from .cms to .gba to use nightmare, just make sure that it is uncompressed and it should be fine.

If anyone is curious, I tested v1.4 of WiiScrubber for modding Radiant Dawn and I'm not experiencing issues while playing it (and I'm towards the end of part 3). So if you want to use WiiScrubber, go with v1.4. Can't confirm things 100%, but my money is on it not crashing anytime later in my play through.

I'm curious, has anyone been able to get a modified game to run on an actual Wii via USB loader? I can get it to boot on Dolphin with the desired changes, but when I try to boot it on my Wii it doesn't even reach the Wiimote warning screen.

I'm curious, has anyone been able to get a modified game to run on an actual Wii via USB loader? I can get it to boot on Dolphin with the desired changes, but when I try to boot it on my Wii it doesn't even reach the Wiimote warning screen.

Yeah, i am currently doing a mod and play it on my Wii, what are you using for replacing files and what changes are you making to what files?

If anyone is curious, I tested v1.4 of WiiScrubber for modding Radiant Dawn and I'm not experiencing issues while playing it (and I'm towards the end of part 3). So if you want to use WiiScrubber, go with v1.4. Can't confirm things 100%, but my money is on it not crashing anytime later in my play through.

Well glad that it works for you, the wiiscrubber crash usually happens when loading the game, so after it boots correctly it should mean that there are no problems with the file, wiitools has been working for me perfectly so i am more biased towards it.

Yeah, i am currently doing a mod and play it on my Wii, what are you using for replacing files and what changes are you making to what files?

I used WiiScrubber 1.40. I've mostly changed FE10data.cms but I've also changed some of the map files to change the positions/starting level of a couple of units. The main changes were class caps and growth rates, couple of base stats/levels, some weapon properties (mostly mt but some had one of their properties changed to something else), couple of starting skills and skill costs and a minor terrain change. The changes I made were replacing existing things with others so I wouldn't have to do any major pointer repairs, and the modified uncompressed file is the exact same size. Though, for what it's worth, the compressed file is slightly smaller than the original.

I saw you mentioned Wiitools earlier - which version are you using? The one I found would just launch Wiiscrubber 1.40, among other things, but it doesn't sound like what you're using.

It is called WIT, it is called more precisely wimms iso tools, lol, i tought they were kinda similar anyways since the the process consist in extracting all files/compiling all if i amnot mistaken, you only really need to extract the files once tough, but is more secure for me, i hated the random screen freeze that happened with wiiscrubber, i mean it is faster but i prefer a more reliable program.

I have seen that there are "packs" called wiitools that have wiiscrubber, and wbfs manager, then there is the one that uses a couple of exe programs, the last one of course are the "real" wii tools.

Excellent, that tool worked. From reading what it does, it's probably because WiiScrubber doesn't handle the fst.bin file for when you modify files, which causes the checksum on a real Wii to fail. Now to figure out why Micaiah started with 10 speed because I sure didn't do that on purpose...

Edited by Hozu

I've got some questions about skill editing, which is basically everything. I don't quite understand what I can change around in regards to skills or even how I go about doing so in windhex. What does each part mean; I can infer that MH_SKILL Pointer is a pointer for help messages, but what of the MSID Pointer or the SID Table Pointer? I'd like to primarily change the class linked skills like Luna and so on to balance them out.

I've got some questions about skill editing, which is basically everything. I don't quite understand what I can change around in regards to skills or even how I go about doing so in windhex. What does each part mean; I can infer that MH_SKILL Pointer is a pointer for help messages, but what of the MSID Pointer or the SID Table Pointer? I'd like to primarily change the class linked skills like Luna and so on to balance them out.

You can go to class data, find the skill you dont want and repoint it to another, as long as you know the offset(which are in nightmare modules) is easy to do, MSID and SID should be related to the message and name of the skill.

So am I able to change the affects of each skill, such as removing the 3x damage of luna or changing the 5x str of rend? Also where would I find the nightmare modules for skill editing? What I got off of serenes only came with class and growth modules.