Myrmidons

Anouleth

And from Wikipedia:

Aegina is the gathering place of Myrmidons, in Aegina they gathered and they trained. Zeus needed an elite army and at first thought that Aegina who at the time did not have any villagers was the perfect place. So he turned the ants (Greek: Μυρμύγκια, Myrmigia) into warriors who had 6 hands and wore black armors. Later on Myrmidons were known as the most fearsome fighting unit in Greece led by Achilles.

So I don't see the connection between a race of insectoid 6 armed warriors with black armour created by Zeus and fast sword-using mercenaries.

So I don't see the connection between a race of insectoid 6 armed warriors with black armour created by Zeus and fast sword-using mercenaries.

That's just what some modern scholars think based on the etymology of the word. Personally I think it's just as bullshit as the idea that V in ancient Latin was pronounced the same in its consonant and vowel forms, going against tradition in order to stand out.

The term myrmidon was widely used a lot later to refer to elite soldiers, even after the Greeks themselves became so pious that they would very infrequently use such words of pagan origin in writing. When speaking of the sixteenth century "myrmidons" is practically a euphemism for Turkish janissaries.

Well their original name in most of the games was Sword Fighter if I recall. I am not sure why NoA (And NoE I guess) changed the name. Axe Fighters got renamed to Fighter.

I think it was probably meant to save space due to more English characters being used for a name on average.

IS called them Myrmidons in FE6. They went back to Swordfighter in FE7 and I think FE8.

Fighters and Axe Fighters have always been separately named classes, even in the localised games (Axe Fighters only appeared in FE4 and 5).